Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

I'm trying to get off coffee. Can someone please recommend a good caffeinated tea.

No mint or white tea please. Thanks.

by Anonymousreply 59November 21, 2020 6:33 PM

Earl Grey

by Anonymousreply 1November 14, 2020 5:03 PM

Or and a good brand too? Thanks.

by Anonymousreply 2November 14, 2020 5:06 PM

If you take heart drugs or fat drugs, most tea will contraindicate with those drugs.

by Anonymousreply 3November 14, 2020 5:11 PM

English Breakfast or Prince of Wales tea.

Earl Grey is my weekend treat. You might enjoy spiced teas like Constant Comment or one of the Chai blends. Celestial Seasons has Morning Thunder tea for a real wake-up.

by Anonymousreply 4November 14, 2020 5:12 PM

This is one of the few tea companies that consistently produces outstanding, top-quality teas and blends.

For a good, straight-up black tea, I recommend Russian Morning, English Breakfast, or Russian Caravan.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5November 14, 2020 5:12 PM

All tea has caffeine. If it doesn't have caffeine it is not a tea.

by Anonymousreply 6November 14, 2020 5:13 PM

Assam is my everyday tea of choice. I put the loose tea in a teaball. It's strong, and has quite a lift caffeine wise. I don't believe brands are necessarily always indicative of freshness or quality, but in the States, I like Harney & Sons Organic Assam.

by Anonymousreply 7November 14, 2020 5:19 PM

Kratom.

by Anonymousreply 8November 14, 2020 5:19 PM

I am a Vahdam tea fan. They have everything from Earl Grey to Darjeeling and Oolong.

Twinnings also has some reasonable teas you can find in most every store.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9November 14, 2020 5:20 PM

Morning Thunder by Celestial Seasonings. It has mate in it, which is a funky flavor if you haven't tried it. I like it and it gives you a small energy boost.

by Anonymousreply 10November 14, 2020 5:22 PM

I like Yorkshire Gold from Taylors of Harrogate, which I buy through amazon.

But I also really enjoy Constant Comment from Bigelow, which you can get in most grovery stores.

by Anonymousreply 11November 14, 2020 5:23 PM

R4 R5 The company brand name doesn't indicate quality, tea grades do. Get the golden flowery orange pekoe grade. That's the top of the line. Second picking is better than the first.

by Anonymousreply 12November 14, 2020 5:38 PM

Find a good quality Japanese matcha. It has a lot of health benefits and won't make you crash and burn like coffee.

by Anonymousreply 13November 14, 2020 5:44 PM

Just curious...since many teas have more caffeine than coffee, what's the point of switching? Don't like coffee?

by Anonymousreply 14November 14, 2020 5:44 PM

Coffee has more caffeine. period

by Anonymousreply 15November 14, 2020 5:46 PM

My favorite is Twinings' Ceylon Orange Pekoe, if I'm drinking it hot.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 16November 14, 2020 5:52 PM

[Quote] Coffee has more caffeine. period

It does? So how much tea will I have to drink to equal 1 cup of coffee do you think?

by Anonymousreply 17November 14, 2020 5:55 PM

Thanks for all the suggestions so far!

by Anonymousreply 18November 14, 2020 5:55 PM

PG Tips brand tea bags.

by Anonymousreply 19November 14, 2020 5:59 PM

R19 Are those little pyramids technically nylon, or plastic? A friend drinks the tips, and her mum thinks the material leaves microplastics behind. Many French teas I've noticed use those....

by Anonymousreply 20November 14, 2020 6:47 PM

R12 - Uh, NO. An outstanding tea company will only purchase and use the highest grades of tea leaves for its blends and products, usually selling loose leaf teas predominantly and using the same high-quality leaves in its teabags.

Less reputable companies will cut their teas with cheaper leaves or actually put the small, broken “sweepings” into tea bags.

The tea house/company is the PRIMARY indicator of quality level.

by Anonymousreply 21November 14, 2020 7:32 PM

White tea has caffeine. All true teas are the same plant with varying degrees of oxidation due to different processing.

Try Adagio.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 22November 14, 2020 7:39 PM

Tea leaves have more caffeine in them than coffee beans but the coffee brewing process brings out more caffeine in the final cup.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 23November 14, 2020 7:52 PM

[quote] [R19] Are those little pyramids technically nylon, or plastic? A friend drinks the tips, and her mum thinks the material leaves microplastics behind. Many French teas I've noticed use those....

R20, it's been a while since I've used the PG Tips bags (switched to coffee). Seems like the bags are now made of paper, but I could be wrong.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 24November 14, 2020 8:02 PM

I have a two gallon plastic jug that I use to make iced green tea. 4 bags of whatever brand (Twinings is nice but now I'm using the whole foods store brand and there's no difference) and fill the jug with tap water and let it steep overnight.

by Anonymousreply 25November 14, 2020 8:17 PM

OP, might want to check out David's Tea "24 Nights of Tea." It's an advent calendar with a 2-serving pouch of tea per night. I buy one every year.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 26November 14, 2020 10:52 PM

Also, if you're going to get into loose leaf tea, I'd highly recommend this bottom-dispensing teapot.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 27November 14, 2020 10:54 PM

R21 yes tea companies go to tea auctions and buy teas that their blenders use to sell in their packaged teas. You're welcome to that if you like those. There are excellent and reputable companies like Mariage Freres and so on.

But the difference is like getting wine bottled by the vineyard like a Chateau Rothschild or by a winery like Gallo.

You can get estate teas from companies in the Bay Area and NYC and probably in London and Paris I'm less familiar with. Admittedly harder to find at a Whole Foods near you, they are known as boutique, artisanal and estate. Sounds snotty I know but tea like wine has its snotty side. I haven't paid a lot attention to it lately because I'm like, Go AOC!

by Anonymousreply 28November 14, 2020 10:58 PM

Honey Black from David's Tea.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 29November 14, 2020 11:25 PM

You'll eventually go back to coffee trust me. People who switch from coffee to tea always go back.

by Anonymousreply 30November 14, 2020 11:44 PM

R30 Perhaps he'll enjoy both, but relying on the tea can help him to cut down at the very least.

by Anonymousreply 31November 14, 2020 11:55 PM

OP - there is actually a chemical difference between the caffeine in coffee - Caffeine - and the “caffeine” in tea - Theine - that has a significant physiological affect.

As the French say (loosely translated): Caffeine excites; theine stimulates. This means that while coffee gives an initial rush of energy, tea provides a lesser level of stimulation, but over a longer period of time.

If you’re looking for the rush, you’ll eventually go back to coffee, but try tea and the longer, even mental stimulation it provides.

by Anonymousreply 32November 15, 2020 12:30 AM

Celestial Seasonings' Morning Thunder is a good coffee substitute. For something a bit less strong, I also recommend English Breakfast.

by Anonymousreply 33November 15, 2020 12:32 AM

Morning thunder is when a butch lesbian farts herself awake.

by Anonymousreply 34November 15, 2020 12:48 AM

I love dammann freres tea, particularly Jardin Bleu. Harney's also has some very good teas. Sans & Sans in Barcelona is heaven in a cup but it's pricey to ship to the USA.

by Anonymousreply 35November 15, 2020 1:14 AM

R35 Shipping often is the problem for the States. Hälssen & Lyon is another favourite of mine, but it has never occured to me to try to obtain it from Hamburg.

by Anonymousreply 36November 15, 2020 1:25 AM

I love Sleepytime.

by Anonymousreply 37November 15, 2020 1:28 AM

For anyone interested in trying

info@haelssen-lyon.de

+49 40-36 14 3-0

by Anonymousreply 38November 15, 2020 1:28 AM

Green teas.

I love me some Oolong Tea.

by Anonymousreply 39November 15, 2020 1:48 AM

What's a good matcha that isn't too high end?

I attended tea ceremonies in Japan and would love just an inkling of that again.

by Anonymousreply 40November 15, 2020 1:53 AM

OP, what you really need to get off is caffeine.

by Anonymousreply 41November 15, 2020 1:59 AM

Some people need caffeine. It both calms and awakens me. I'm not OP, but why so down on caffeine, PD?

by Anonymousreply 42November 15, 2020 2:01 AM

Yorkshire Gold by Taylors of Harrowgate and French Breakfast by Marriages Freres.

by Anonymousreply 43November 15, 2020 2:04 AM

Any tips on how, R41?

by Anonymousreply 44November 15, 2020 2:05 AM

What's a "good" caffeinated tea? Weird question. Just pick one that sounds like it's a flavor you'd like.

by Anonymousreply 45November 15, 2020 2:07 AM

Earl Grey Double Bergamot, bu Stash Tea

A good quality matcha for everyday drinking, if you can swing the cost I would recommend a premium grade (not ceremonial grade, too expensive) because there is a clear difference in color and taste. I buy directly from this company linked below. For everyday drinking on a budget I’d suggest you get the Premium refill (cheapest option) 4.23 oz. for $63, which is a great deal and helluva lot cheaper than what you can buy here that’s marketed as “premium grade”. I’ve been drinking matcha since childhood and am a bit of a connoisseur. If you want a close to ceremonial grade and willing to spend $22 more, then get Super Premium refill 4.23 oz. for $85. That’s the one I drink in the morning.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 46November 15, 2020 2:20 AM

Coffee.

by Anonymousreply 47November 15, 2020 2:29 AM

Yes?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 48November 15, 2020 2:38 AM

Tea stains your teeth - you'll be whitening your teeth twice a year.

by Anonymousreply 49November 15, 2020 4:31 AM

And coffee doesn’t stain your teeth? Quite more so I think, every coffee drinker I know has coffee stains.

by Anonymousreply 50November 15, 2020 2:12 PM

R50 Coffee never stained my teeth but the acid in it ate at the enamel.

by Anonymousreply 51November 15, 2020 2:17 PM

R46 STASH make excellent Chai as well. Really spicy, for those into it. R43 Yorkshire is really nice for a quick cup with a tea bag.

by Anonymousreply 52November 15, 2020 7:10 PM

Try a less-expensive Earl Grey before splurging a la r46. You may like the taste of bergamot as much as I do, which is to say not at all.

by Anonymousreply 53November 15, 2020 7:15 PM

Taylors of Harrogate Yorkshire Gold is supplied to the Prince of Wales, OP. Need one say more?

by Anonymousreply 54November 15, 2020 7:17 PM

Liptons

by Anonymousreply 55November 15, 2020 7:19 PM

Funny that, I think in reality they've several tea suppliers. Fortnums, Darvilles, and Twinings have received Royal Warrants as well.

by Anonymousreply 56November 15, 2020 7:36 PM

I had some great apple tea once that someone gave me. But it was French and couldn't find anywhere in the U.S. The U.S. ones all have cinnamon--why??

by Anonymousreply 57November 21, 2020 6:51 AM

Brew loose-leaf hibiscus (aka jamaica flower aka 'red zinger') along with black peppercorns and whole cloves.

You'll thank me later.

by Anonymousreply 58November 21, 2020 7:10 AM

R58 J'adore Jamaica, and I'm not keen on most herbal tea. It's especially nice chilled, or over ice. I've yet to try a spiced version however.

by Anonymousreply 59November 21, 2020 6:33 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!