Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

'We blew it': U.S. reaches 'explosive' COVID-19 spread as virus is nearly impossible to control

With COVID-19 cases increasing in 46 states, 10 of which broke single-day records for new cases on Thursday, America has officially entered what experts refer to as the “exponential” phase of spread — a rapid multiplying of cases that can’t be contained through traditional measures. On Thursday alone, the U.S. saw 160,000 new cases of the virus, more than any day since the pandemic began.

In California, the second state to surpass 1 million cases, thousands of people in cars lined up at Dodger Stadium on Thursday to get tested; in parts of Washington state, individuals waited four to five hours.

The current spike in cases — which some states are calling a third wave — has brought more than 100,000 new cases a day since Nov. 4. But that’s not counting those that may be going undetected. “We have widespread, uncontrolled COVID-19 in many parts of the country,” says Dr. Amesh Adalja, senior scholar at the Johns Hopkins Center for Health Security. “And we know the cases reported are an underestimate of what is out there ... we’re missing many cases because people aren’t getting tested. So the true number is much higher than what we’re actually seeing.”

Adalja says that exponential spread means a virus is no longer increasing on a linear scale but is instead spiking at a rapid rate. Dr. Oguzhan Alagoz, an engineering professor at the University of Wisconsin-Madison who models the spread of infectious diseases, agrees, saying exponential spread refers to an “unbelievably high growth rate.” In this case, that means new COVID-19 cases in many parts of the country are doubling or tripling each week. Part of this, he says, is due to the fact that COVID-19 seems more contagious than other viruses.

With influenza, for example, the R0 (basic reproductive number) — or the average number of people to whom someone spreads a virus — is one to two. With COVID-19, the R0 number has hovered around three. “So say if I infect three people, those three people are going to each infect another three people, and those three are going to infect another three,” Alagoz explains. “This is why it’s multiplying in such a short time.”

Looking closely at the numbers in the U.S., it’s not hard to find examples of exponential spread, both on the national level and among individual states.

According to the COVID Tracking Project, the U.S. surpassed 5 million cases of COVID-19 on Aug. 9, but by Nov. 9 had nearly eclipsed 10 million. In Wisconsin — one of the hardest-hit states — the average number of new cases a day went from 2,800 in early October to nearly triple that this week. In Michigan, another Midwestern state recently affected by the pandemic, active hospitalizations went from 669 in early October to more than 2,000 this week, filling up intensive care units and leading Gov. Gretchen Whitmer to declare it a “dire” situation.

In North Dakota, where a motorcycle rally of nearly 500,000 people in neighboring South Dakota is believed to have set off an outbreak, average daily cases have gone from 400 in early October to 1,800 a day this week. Adalja says spikes like this are dangerous. “When you see an outbreak, it may not necessarily begin with exponential spread, but once you start to get a critical number of cases, then the spread really just takes off in a way that’s really explosive,” he says. “It is a particularly worrisome type of spread because it becomes very hard to control when you’re in that type of a phase of growth.”

Dr. William Schaffner, an infectious disease expert at Vanderbilt University School of Medicine, agrees that the U.S. has reached a new level in the pandemic. “The virus is spreading rampantly. I’ve heard someone refer to it as ‘volcanic’ and I think that’s accurate.” Schaffner says that COVID fatigue is likely playing a role, with individuals becoming more lax with social distancing and mask wearing.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 281November 25, 2020 11:42 PM

He reiterates what officials have been saying for months: that masks can reduce spread up to 80 percent, and that they can protect both the wearer and those around them. Adalja agrees with mask mandates — which have been instituted in more than 34 states — but stresses that there isn’t a “one-size-fits-all” approach to tackling the pandemic. “You have to look and see what’s causing cases in your given area — and it isn’t uniform, because in some places it’s not bars and restaurants, it’s household gatherings,” says Adalja. “So each jurisdiction needs to figure out what activities are leading to spread and focus on those.”

This week, it seems many officials are doing just that. On Thursday, Chicago Mayor Lori Lightfoot announced a stay-at-home order for the city, which requires residents to remain at home unless obtaining critical supplies like groceries or medicine. In New York, where schools are on the verge of shutting down, Gov. Andrew Cuomo issued an order calling for all restaurants, bars and gyms to close at 10 p.m. beginning on Friday.

Similar curfews have been passed in other hot spots like El Paso, Texas, and Miami. The goal with these curfews is to allow businesses to stay open while limiting both the amount of time that individuals can be exposed and the late night hours in which alcohol may further cloud prevention efforts. Many local leaders, including those in Los Angeles and Milwaukee, have also urged residents to be extremely cautious with Thanksgiving plans and avoid gatherings of over 10 people.

But while the restrictions and stay-at-home orders may help limit the damage, Dr. Gregory Poland, an infectious disease expert and head of Mayo Clinic’s Vaccine Research Group, says it may be too little too late. “We are now exponential. You cannot control exponentiality. We blew it; we’re past that,” Poland tells Yahoo Life. “Now the only options are that something happens with the virus where it dies out, we lock down like many places in Europe are doing, or we find a vaccine that’s highly effective that virtually everybody takes. Those are our only options at this point.”

Pfizer announced this week that its COVID-19 vaccine was more than 90 percent effective in phase III clinical trials, which is promising. Still, with approval likely weeks away and widespread availability not predicted until 2021, the situation in the U.S. — at this point — remains bleak. “I wish I could give you better news,” says Alagoz. “But until we have a vaccine that is available or, as a community, many people change their behavior, I am not expecting that it’s going to slow down.”

by Anonymousreply 1November 14, 2020 12:44 AM

No shit?!

by Anonymousreply 2November 14, 2020 12:46 AM

USA Today:

New Cases +183,527

Deaths +1,395

We will be at over 200K per day by next week!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3November 14, 2020 12:51 AM

Nice knowing you all.

Thanks fucking DONALD J. TRUMP!!!

Motherfucking cunt.

I was watching MSNBC this morning, and there was some doctor from a governmental agency that basically said the Federal Government is non-existent right now in the fight against Covid.

NON. EXISTENT.

by Anonymousreply 4November 14, 2020 12:53 AM

Downtown Jersey City - crowded mall and restaurants tonight. How long before that shit gets shut down? Just glad I don't have to go into the office or take my kiddo to school.

by Anonymousreply 5November 14, 2020 12:54 AM

We are all going to get this thanks to Dump and his sycophants.

by Anonymousreply 6November 14, 2020 12:54 AM

"Watch! It will go away after Election Day."

by Anonymousreply 7November 14, 2020 12:55 AM

It's happening everywhere. On Nov 7th France had 86,000 cases. Spain yesterday had 21,371 new cases...in a country of less than 50 million people. Germany yesterday over 23,000. It is not just the US.

by Anonymousreply 8November 14, 2020 1:08 AM

So now what?

Worldwide lockdown?

by Anonymousreply 9November 14, 2020 1:16 AM

Trump has done an outstanding job on COVID

by Anonymousreply 10November 14, 2020 1:24 AM

We're turning the corner - we're going around the corner

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 11November 14, 2020 1:29 AM

Shutdown, which is totally needed, will wreck the economy. We need government to step in again, but we have no government for the next 10 weeks. Yeah, we're fucked.

I wouldn't say this explosion sneaked up on me, but it sort of did. Things went from "serious" to grave pretty quickly - and it will get worse.

by Anonymousreply 12November 14, 2020 1:39 AM

I thought there was a fucking vaccine for covid-19 the was just developed recently?!

by Anonymousreply 13November 14, 2020 1:42 AM

One particular vaccine was found 90 percent effective in phase III trials. There's still a long way to go - approval, manufacturing, and distribution. That doesn't happen overnight. I'd think May or June before everyone can get it.,

by Anonymousreply 14November 14, 2020 1:53 AM

IDK - CVS Pharmacy just sent me an email saying they entered an agreement with the CDC to distribute the vaccine asap... Here is a copy/paste of the email:

CVS Pharmacy® Your health remains our top priority. As America has struggled through the COVID-19 pandemic, it has been difficult to find a path toward health.

Over the last few days, that path became a little clearer. We are closer to having an authorized vaccine to treat COVID-19.

Still, the question that so many of us have is “How would I get that vaccine?” CVS Health® has entered into a contract with the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC). We were selected as one of the official COVID-19 Vaccination Program Providers.

The United States government will make a supply of the COVID-19 vaccine available to CVS Health when authorized and available to administer in pharmacies nationwide. We will offer it to the public through our 10,000 locations, following established vaccine prioritization guidelines.

CVS Health is already working to enable administration of the vaccine once it is available for pharmacies nationwide.

We are proud of and thankful for the efforts of our pharmacists, nurse practitioners and pharmacy technicians. They have served many communities across the U.S. and helped conduct nearly 7 million COVID-19 tests. We know they stand ready to do the same thing when COVID-19 vaccinations are available.

by Anonymousreply 15November 14, 2020 2:28 AM

Just as it started to spike in my town, my partner got COVID, probably at the mechanic's where they're always playing Fox News and just two guys at the front desk were wearing masks, the actual mechanics weren't. Now we're getting 150-200 cases a day and there's only 75,000 people here. Many are college students and are going to go home for Thanksgiving and spread it further.

All those "where are the 1-2 million dead?" trolls are gonna get their wish, and soon, I'm afraid.

by Anonymousreply 16November 14, 2020 2:34 AM

And now America is going to learn what exponential growth is

by Anonymousreply 17November 14, 2020 2:53 AM

#trumpPlague

by Anonymousreply 18November 14, 2020 2:59 AM

NY is fine. No biggie

by Anonymousreply 19November 14, 2020 3:21 AM

The sudden explosion the past week / 10 days in the US is really terrifying. Particularly yesterday and today's numbers.

And it's just the beginning. The next 30 days are going to be interesting - there are many states starting to reach hospital capacities.

by Anonymousreply 20November 14, 2020 4:24 AM

[quote] One particular vaccine was found 90 percent effective in phase III trials. There's still a long way to go - approval, manufacturing, and distribution. That doesn't happen overnight. I'd think May or June before everyone can get it.,

If it's too late now, what will it be like in May/June 2021?

by Anonymousreply 21November 14, 2020 4:26 AM

Sounds as if this is going to be like the flu of 1918.

by Anonymousreply 22November 14, 2020 2:43 PM

Yesterday on MSNBC, the lead story on most of their shows was WISCONSIN.

It seems to be at the tipping point, where infections are nearly out of control.

Chicago and NY are probably going into lockdown, as well.

by Anonymousreply 23November 14, 2020 5:36 PM

Biden task force member: 'We are entering this period that I call COVID hell'

There are more than 10.5 million confirmed coronavirus cases in the U.S. and at least 244,000 deaths.

Unfortunately, the pandemic is likely going to get worse, according to Dr. Michael Osterholm, director of The Center for Infectious Disease Research and Policy at the University of Minnesota and a newly-appointed member of President-elect Joe Biden’s coronavirus task force.

“We are entering this period that I call COVID hell,” Dr. Osterholm said on Yahoo Finance Live (video above). “Back on Labor Day, we were at about 23,000 cases of new coronavirus infection every day. Today, we’re going to be in the 130,000 to 140,000 [range] again. And that number is going to keep rising rapidly.”

The U.S. hit 170,000 new confirmed coronavirus cases on November 13, according to the COVID Tracking Project. There were roughly 27,000 new confirmed cases on Labor Day, September 7.

Dr. Osterholm identified two two major factors contributing to the latest surge in transmission: pandemic fatigue and overall skepticism towards the seriousness of the virus.

“People [are] just being tired of trying to avoid the public and places that put you at increased risk, pandemic anger,” he said, adding that there are still Americans who don’t believe the pandemic is even real: “So why adhere to any kind of public health recommendations?”

The recent spikes in cases are partly attributed to more people becoming lax about social distancing guidelines and face mask wearing while increasingly gathering indoors as the weather turns colder.

Furthermore, given the lack of a nationally-coordinated pandemic response to the coronavirus, some states have been responsible for developing testing strategies and finding PPE on their own. New York City is poised to have a 90-day stockpile of PPE and ventilators, while other states like California have worked on their own to secure similar options.

The U.S. is on track to surpass 500,000 deaths by February 2021. Dr. Osterholm is hoping that once Biden takes office in January, his administration will be able to quickly set the U.S. on the right path.

“First of all, be prepared to hit the ground running on January 20,” Dr. Osterholm said. “And number two, in the meantime, even though we’re not in control of the government… we can pull together and share with the states and cities out there that have often been left to their own devices in terms of trying to respond to this pandemic so that in fact, that kind of information and support can be there.”

Death rates are accelerating, reaching more than 1,000 per day nationally. In Texas, where cases topped 1 million this week, the city of El Paso has resorted to mobile morgues and are already running out of space.

“People don’t want to hear that El Paso isn’t an isolated event,” Dr. Osterholm said. “El Paso, in many instances, will become the norm. We have health care systems right now that are overwhelmed already. And we’re talking about potentially doubling the number of cases over this time period before the President-elect even takes office.”

Dr. Osterholm said that the new administration would be placing trust in public health officials and experts, such as Dr. Anthony Fauci, the director of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Disease (NIAID) who has repeatedly drawn the ire of President Trump for vocalizing his concerns about the direction the country is headed towards in this pandemic.

“As a member of the task force, I know that the leadership of the task force, as well as the staff and the transition team, are working on that issue,” Osterholm said. “From listening to people like Tony Fauci and others, we’ve had a fair amount of information exchanged that already has occurred over the recent months. And that’s continuing.”

“We have to have a story to tell America,” Osterholm said. “We have to be able to explain to them what’s happening. This is us versus the virus.”

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 24November 14, 2020 6:28 PM

It's pandemic, deal with it. It will not go away until 60% of the population get infected. Just be healthy and expose yourself to the virus and get over with it once and for all. 10 or 20 lockdowns will only prolong the economic hardship but will never stop the spread of the virus.

by Anonymousreply 25November 14, 2020 6:37 PM

[quote] It will not go away until 60% of the population get infected. Just be healthy and expose yourself to the virus and get over with it once and for all.

I know someone who taught at a school.

One of the parents had this exact same mentality, and let their child who was sick with Covid, attend class. This is in the Southwest.

The school had to close for a month because nearly 100 students and teachers got infected.

And the person I knew got Covid and died a week later.

So fuck you, fuck your stupidity, and fuck your callousness.

by Anonymousreply 26November 14, 2020 6:48 PM

Two examples.

Canada did every precaution paying everyone to stay home with the biggest restrictions. They are now having record cases.

Sweden did nothing. They are now having an upswing.

Maybe the US will get lucky and achieve herd immunity.

by Anonymousreply 27November 14, 2020 6:55 PM

No more shutdowns. Death has always been the cost of freedom, from Revolutionary War to Civil War.

Anyway, I’ve had several family and friends have this virus and survive, it’s not a big deal if this virus spreads.

by Anonymousreply 28November 14, 2020 7:04 PM

I know people who still think it's hoax. Sometimes I think the wrong people are getting it.

by Anonymousreply 29November 14, 2020 7:17 PM

[quote]Just glad I don't have to go into the office or take my kiddo to school.

Do you leave him home with your doggo?

by Anonymousreply 30November 14, 2020 7:20 PM

I know people who have died; people who survived but have had lingering serious problems or lingering moderate problems; people for whom it was nothing more than a cold; people for whom had barely any symptoms.

Obviously, I don't want to get it. I completely understand the hand wringing about shutdowns and the economic implications. What to do?

But, say we move forward with "it's your choice whether to stay in or go out and risk it" and there's a high infection rate and many hospital systems are taxed - then that trickles down to having a crisis in care for non-Covid patients as well.

by Anonymousreply 31November 14, 2020 8:31 PM

Can't believe the assholes on this thread who are still saying we should just all get it and "achieve herd immunity" (a misuse of that expression). As R31 says, the more people who go into the hospital with Covid, the less space for people with other medical problems. Or should Covid patients just stay home, suffer, and die?

This glib fatalism is killing people.

by Anonymousreply 32November 14, 2020 9:01 PM

Oh yeah baby blow it all over me! I want your disease! 🍆 💦 😩

by Anonymousreply 33November 14, 2020 9:22 PM

This is Trump's parting "Fuck You".

He knew he was losing the election, so he decided to stick it to the American people, he deliberately gathered crowds and encouraged them to spread viruses. I'm convinced of it. He's that horrible.

by Anonymousreply 34November 14, 2020 9:24 PM

[quote] 'It's Traumatizing': Coronavirus Deaths Are Climbing Once Again

By the time that Doug Raysby’s wife was allowed to enter his hospital room, it was too late to be sure whether he even knew she was there. After a feverish fight with the coronavirus, he lay unconscious on the bed. His wife cried through an N95 mask, while a computer tablet flashed a video stream of his children saying goodbye.

For weeks, as coronavirus cases spiked across the United States, deaths rose far more slowly, staying significantly lower than in the early, deadliest weeks of the nation’s outbreak in the spring. New treatments, many hoped, might slow a new wave of funerals.

But now, signs are shifting: More than 1,000 Americans are dying of the coronavirus every day on average, a 50% increase in the past month. Iowa, Minnesota, New Mexico, Tennessee and Wisconsin have recorded more deaths over the past seven days than in any other week of the pandemic. Twice this past week, there have been more than 1,400 deaths reported in a single day.

“It’s getting bad, and it’s potentially going to get a lot worse,” said Jennifer Nuzzo, a public health researcher and senior scholar at the Johns Hopkins Center for Health Security. “The months ahead are looking quite horrifying.”

For families like Raysby’s, the pain of personal loss has combined with a sense of anger that the nation, exhausted after nine months of the pandemic, has grown inured to the death toll, even as its pace is quickening once more.

“Do you see this human being? Do you realize?” said Kathy James, the mother-in-law of Raysby, a 57-year-old factory supervisor in Sioux Falls, South Dakota, who liked to hunt pheasants on the weekends.

In the weeks since Raysby died of the virus, James said she had wanted to wave a photo of him — a quiet, bespectacled man who once wooed her daughter with purple roses — at the world.

“Do you see Doug?” she said. “Because he should be alive and he should be with us right now.”

More than 244,000 people have died from the coronavirus in the United States, more than any other country, and experts say the pace of new deaths is likely to accelerate in the coming weeks.

Deaths lag several weeks behind infections, so the toll being recorded now reflects transmission that happened several weeks ago, before the country began logging more than 140,000 new cases per day and hospitalizations reached their highest levels of the pandemic. On Friday, public health officials reported more than 181,000 new cases across the country, more than ever before.

The country remains far below the death toll of the spring, when as many as 2,200 people were perishing each day, but some estimates suggest that the United States may soon be on track to reach or even exceed those levels.

From the Midwest to the Sun Belt, officials are bracing for a mounting death toll.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 35November 14, 2020 10:49 PM

[quote]“Do you see this human being? Do you realize?” said Kathy James, the mother-in-law of Raysby, a 57-year-old factory supervisor in Sioux Falls, South Dakota, who liked to hunt pheasants on the weekends.

Well, there is an up side.

by Anonymousreply 36November 15, 2020 12:17 AM

South Dakota? They probably voted for Trump anyway.

by Anonymousreply 37November 15, 2020 12:17 AM

Funny how the pro-life crowd is basically calling for the genocide of millions of people just because they don't like wearing masks. Fuck their hypocrotical asses.

by Anonymousreply 38November 15, 2020 12:43 AM

R37--no probably about it. Their governor is a psychotic cunt and proud Trumper.

by Anonymousreply 39November 15, 2020 12:47 AM

In LA, this is our life and has been since March. We live our lives completely outside, have mask mandates, and yet we are forever in the hot zone. What some people are experiencing now has been our way of life literally since late February. It's crazy and whatever we are doing is not working.

by Anonymousreply 40November 15, 2020 1:10 AM

R32 I know there's some real sick fucks around. They think social events and the economy are better off when they are too stupid to realize the other consequences -- an explosion of disabilities from those who had it, across all ages, and constant shut down from it no matter what, because motherfuckers can't be decent human beings.

Maybe if we would've had a TRUE shutdown R28, this would've been more in control. Maybe if Republicunts weren't selling their stocks, while covering this up; for 2 fucking months mind you, it'd be easier to control. Maybe if whiny fucks wore a mask, skipped one summer vacation, and grew the fuck up, we'd have it under better control.

R28 how fucking pig ignorant and insulting can you get to even DARE compare crybaby scumbags that don't like masks, and want to eat out, to those that died for freedom in war?!? You and those like you, are barnacles on humanity because it's selfishness and ignorant arrogance that fuels your thoughts.

Others need to die or be permanently disabled so a fatass R28 can eat out and make money!

by Anonymousreply 41November 15, 2020 1:14 AM

That is coz the virus has mutated and is more infectious!!!

by Anonymousreply 42November 15, 2020 1:14 AM

R40 yes it WAS working until a bunch of selfish pricks decided to go on summer vacay, go to gatherings, and not follow baskc hygiene with a simple thing like a mask.

CVS workers doing testing said right out that a majority seeking tests are doing it because they want to travel without strict quarantine. Every scumbag I've known that traveled, didn't follow it after traveling. One relative came back from Mexico and immediately went out socializing, basically bragging about tricking the system.

I really wish I could save certain people because if it weren't for loved ones, I'd say to Hell with most people if they want to be selfish cunts.

by Anonymousreply 43November 15, 2020 1:20 AM

We were warned that this would be happening way back in May/June. But people got lax or "tired" of wearing the mask. Along with the flu, seasonal colds, colder weather, and people being coupled up in the house this time of year, it's spreading like wildfire. I'm not shocked the infection rates are off the charts, I just feel bad for the frontline workers, and the people who have been wearing masks, but still got sick because of the reckless behavior of those close to them that are superspreading asymptomatic people.

by Anonymousreply 44November 15, 2020 1:25 AM

Are we all gonna die?

by Anonymousreply 45November 15, 2020 5:41 AM

[quote] Maybe the US will get lucky and achieve herd immunity

You probably shouldn't talk about things you know nothing about

Here's what you just said, "Maybe the U.S will get lucky and 2 million people will die"

That's the minimum amount of deaths needed for herd immunity

by Anonymousreply 46November 15, 2020 8:19 AM

Except that "herd immunity" doesn't work with COVID, when people develop antibodies they only last a few months.

THERE IS NO CURE, THERE IS ONLY PREVENTION. WHAT IS SO FUCKING HARD ABOUT TAKING COMMON SENSE MEASURES TO PREVENT TRANSMISSION OF THE VIRUS. PREVENTION IS ALL WE HAVE RIGHT NOW.

by Anonymousreply 47November 15, 2020 8:29 AM

"WE" blew it?

No no no, fuck that propaganda bullshit. DONALD TRUMP blew it.

by Anonymousreply 48November 15, 2020 9:05 AM

With the exponential growth right now, our county is on course to have 20% of the population infected by the end of November. After the holidays it'll be well over 50% I'm sure, probably much higher.

And that still won't give us herd immunity. Anyone touting herd immunity at this late date is an idiot.

by Anonymousreply 49November 15, 2020 9:19 AM

I live in a rural county in Wisconsin and the county health department just posted yesterday on their FB page:

"Due the continued increase in the number of positive cases, the Health Department is unable to keep up with this kind of volume increasing at this rate. We have implemented crisis standards for contact tracing which means that our priority is to contact positive cases only. As a result, we are unable to reach out to close contacts. If you are awaiting a test result, please be sure to remain quarantined. If you test positive, please isolate yourself and let your close contacts know to self-quarantine for 14 days and consider being tested. If you are a close contact of a confirmed case, you must quarantine for 14 days, even if you test negative during that time."

Our communities are so fucked right now. We have seen record numbers of new cases recently and our county health department can no longer do contact tracing beyond a confirmed positive case. They do not have staff for it.

by Anonymousreply 50November 15, 2020 9:23 AM

EXACTLY R48. God, I wish they could put that piece of shit human being up on charges or something for this. We could've had a hold on this thing if he has listened to his medical team. At the very least, they should ALWAYS reference the number of deaths he's responsible for when his presidency is mentioned.

"Donald J Trump, the 45th POTUS responsible for over 200,000 deaths" FOREVER.

by Anonymousreply 51November 15, 2020 9:24 AM

I don't know if the virus has mutated, but my partner's version of the virus was basically like one big hangover. No coughing at all. Lost some of his sense of taste and has a mild version of "COVID toes" but otherwise nothing that pointed to it being COVID at all.

When I did a search online for these weird symptoms I found tons of people recently saying all they'd had was a headache, or what felt like allergies. No cough, no shortness of breath, no sore throat or anything like that.

It doesn't have to get more contagious if it's so difficult to detect. Think about it: someone at work has the sniffles but there's pollen flying through the air, so they think it's allergies. They wear a mask but sometimes it slips down, or they take it off for lunch, or they don't stay 6 feet away all the time. Some of their coworkers also let their masks slip or forget to wear it one day. That's still creating a decent risk for others to catch it even if they're not being massively irresponsible.

by Anonymousreply 52November 15, 2020 9:25 AM

It is not the Donald fault. It is the fault of American people that they have no self discipline. No one wear masks and keep social distancing. A lot of Asian city are just as dense as NYC and they came out fine. Hong Kong, Macau, Taiwan, Singapore and Tokyo have very low diagnoses. And they do it without shutting down.

by Anonymousreply 53November 15, 2020 9:25 AM

Our county is also having to hire a bunch of new employees to keep up with the surge, R50, which sucks because a local ordinance says you can't go to work until the Health Department clears you. But they can't clear you for weeks because they just can't get to you in time. People are out of work for a month or more even though they're no longer symptomatic and have tested negative, because they don't have clearance to go back to work, but most of them don't have sick leave or qualify for temporary disability, or if they do, they can't apply for it because the state's disability department is ALSO overwhelmed.

I really think everyone should be prepared for a full collapse of the system during the holidays.

by Anonymousreply 54November 15, 2020 9:28 AM

Even if Hillary get elected, the situation will be more or less the same. The issue is lack of self discipline of many western country. The entire European countries are suffering.

by Anonymousreply 55November 15, 2020 9:29 AM

Bullshit R53. Those toothless assholes that follow him would have worn a mask IF he had AT LEAST told them to wear a mask. That's ALL he had to do. Not to mention NOT publically contradicting EVERYTHING that came out of his medical team's mouth. The only thing he accomplished in 4 years was successfully interfering in any progress to stop the spread of a pandemic.

by Anonymousreply 56November 15, 2020 9:36 AM

Trump, his administration, the right wing media, the right wing pundits, and the GOP sabotaged the US' response to the pandemic.

I am not sorry for any Republican or Republican supporter getting COVID-19 (to quote Patsy Stone: Let them die!). However I am sorry for all the brave men and women who have to deal with COVIDidiots in their line of work (supermarkets, shops, and hospitals).

by Anonymousreply 57November 15, 2020 10:04 AM

R56 No they would not if Orange man told them. Those people don't listen.

by Anonymousreply 58November 15, 2020 10:16 AM

We're going to hit 200,000 daily cases and 2,000 daily deaths, aren't we?

by Anonymousreply 59November 15, 2020 10:18 AM

R59 we are lucky the virus is not so fatal. If the virus was like sars in 2003 (10% death rate), the entire US are over already.

by Anonymousreply 60November 15, 2020 10:23 AM

[quote]as virus is nearly impossible to control

Viruses control humans. As has been amply illustrated during the past 8 months. Masks and social distancing and government-mandated house arrest simply delay the inevitable. Until such time as an effective vaccine or treatment therapy is discovered. Which takes years.

I'm glad all of you paranoid hysterics will be rushing out to be first in line for Pfizer's or whoever's vaccine. Which will probably kill off about as many as Covid has initially. Until it's perfected. I look forward to far less shriekers and incessant fear mongerers thanx to Pfizer.

And finally, I never wear a mask unless I need to go inside a building or ride a bus. And I'm still alive and very well. I know people who know people who know a few people who have had Covid. And they ALL survived with zero problems. Shazam, eh?

by Anonymousreply 61November 15, 2020 10:29 AM

R53 and R60 are clearly foreign trolls. Brush up on your English next time.

by Anonymousreply 62November 15, 2020 11:18 AM

People forget that the safety measure main intent was to flatline virus transmission so hospitals would have enough beds to deal with the sick people at any point during the pandemic and the country's infrastructure wouldn't collapse because too many people can't work because they are sick, again, at any point of the pandemic.

It was always a given that a certain amount of people would unfortunately die from this virus. The mission with the safety measures and protocols was to prevent unnecessary deaths due to hospitals being overwhelmed by the flood of sick people and there are not enough beds, medication and doctors and nurses around to save those who could be saved (even with lingering health problems).

That is why so many people rant about deaths that could've been prevented if the Trump administration had an actual plan to deal with COVID-19 that doesn't involve politicizing and weaponizing it to create chaos and violence.

by Anonymousreply 63November 15, 2020 11:20 AM

r61, I know two people who had Covid. One survived, one died.

Do you like those odds?

by Anonymousreply 64November 15, 2020 11:23 AM

R61 is a pig.

by Anonymousreply 65November 15, 2020 12:10 PM

WEAR A FUCKING MASK

by Anonymousreply 66November 15, 2020 12:11 PM

Seen at a Pittsburgh bus shelter (Centre and Millvale):

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 67November 15, 2020 12:15 PM

Killin all the right people.

by Anonymousreply 68November 15, 2020 12:16 PM

The trend here is the locations were republican areas full of people refusing to take basic precautions like wearing a mask.

Nobody here should be surprised at the outcome, we discussed how these people were going to trump rallies and sending their kids to school even if they were sick. They also went to vote in person on election day instead of voting by mail.

Sadly this will only get worse with people traveling for the holidays and the snow birds migrating down to the south.

We saw this coming and called it.

by Anonymousreply 69November 15, 2020 1:51 PM

But the Repugs aren't taking out themselves, they're taking out others who have nothing to do with them and are doing everything right.

I have left my house maybe five times since March but my partner got COVID thanks to a bunch of assholes who wouldn't wear masks, now I have it too. We both wore masks all the time and only got food and groceries from delivery. It didn't matter, we still caught it.

That wedding that's lead to 7 deaths from COVID so far only killed people who didn't even GO to the wedding or reception anyway.

This virus isn't a judgement against stupid people, unfortunately.

by Anonymousreply 70November 15, 2020 1:56 PM

you're right

by Anonymousreply 71November 15, 2020 2:07 PM

Pig shit ignorant at R28 doesn't MA FREEDUM! Taken away from it. Guess what fuck tard 250+ have died from this shit in the US only I know you're the kind if shitatsins that I got mine so fuck the rest mentality, no fuck you pig.

by Anonymousreply 72November 15, 2020 2:18 PM

Meant 250k +

by Anonymousreply 73November 15, 2020 2:19 PM

[quote] I know two people who had Covid. One survived, one died. Do you like those odds?

R64 Paranoid hysteria does not preclude or override my experiences, the "odds" of which any sensible person would like.

by Anonymousreply 74November 15, 2020 2:31 PM

I hold the US people accountable for not wearing masks or taking it seriously. Trump could have and should have at least modeled the mask wearing and listened to his medical team. In fact if he just done these 2 simple things, he would probably have been reelected quite easily. Anyhow, I live in blue as blue CA. I will say most people wear them, but many don't. Who do I primarily not see wearing masks - black people and minorities. I know several gay and straight acquaintances who have been to Mexico during this time, don't wear masks consistently, etc. Trump could have helped but I don't think the results would be much different. People in the UK aren't masking up, several leaders around the world have contacted it - politicians, royals, etc. We are not a country of sacrifice and delayed gratification.

by Anonymousreply 75November 15, 2020 2:32 PM

Personal experience will always trump statistics. People sharing their personal experiences gives the pandemic a more personal dimension that - hopefully - inspires more people to be more careful.

by Anonymousreply 76November 15, 2020 2:35 PM

R76 As well as question overreaction and unsuitable/ineffective government mandates and policies.

by Anonymousreply 77November 15, 2020 2:41 PM

Personal experiences are important, they help us understand the effects of COVID.

I know of 4 people who have recovered from COVID and the interesting part is that 3 of them are women and each of them were sick and miserable. None had pre existing conditions, and all are thin. The lone male is not necessarily thin and he described it as a bad allergy.

It really does affect people differently and this makes it all the more dangerous.

by Anonymousreply 78November 15, 2020 2:44 PM

contact tracing, which has kept covid under control in east asia and oceania - is impossible in the US

1. Numbers are just too high

2. testing is slow and awkward to enact

3. people don't trust their government and anyone official calling them on the phone

by Anonymousreply 79November 15, 2020 2:56 PM

I think where you live colors your reality of the virus. If you live somewhere that was relatively unscathed for the last 8 months until now, it's easier to dismiss it than if you live in a major city that has been dealing with the crisis since day one. Coming together as one doesn't seem like a reality anytime soon, so everyone needs to do their best to protect themselves.

by Anonymousreply 80November 15, 2020 2:58 PM

For people who still have a positive opinion of the populace in general, I salute you and admire you for your optimism. For me, this just proves the high level of general stupidity.

by Anonymousreply 81November 15, 2020 3:01 PM

R27 - I will say this again the "Sweden did nothing" statement is absolutely 100% not true. There were travel restrictions, people worked from home, events were cancelled, I could go on and on.

There are some people that never believe me. I've given up trying to convince them - so see this link. Scroll to the bottom to look at mobility changes over time.

Select 'workplaces'. You'll see a massive drop in people going to work - yes, slightly less than the US - but still a substantial drop.

Select 'transit stations' - also a major drop off in people using public transportation - because they are staying at home and working from home.

This is no longer up for debate - Sweden did curtail most activities due to COVID. They did not act as if life went on as normal. I have no fucking idea why everyone is pushing this narrative. No, they didn't do a complete lockdown like Italy - but neither did the US. Sweden did shut down a TON of activities, very similar to the US.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 82November 15, 2020 3:08 PM

I have no faith in the American people or our current generations for any long term sacrifices. During 9/11, we could stand on street corners lighting candles, thoughts and prayers for a week or 2, but unless you were in NYC or DC, everyone got back to their daily lives ASAP. Americans can deal with crisis and inconvenience for a max of what 4-8 weeks and I feel like that is being generous. I think that this virus has exposed our huge weak spot to the world. We might have the toughest military and weapons, but some situations like a major war or pandemic require the cooperation of all for the greater good. This virus is terrible but could you imagine if it was slightly worse, like the virus in "Contagion" where the death rate was pretty much eminent and Wuhan style quarantines were mandatory. Americans were robbing each other, trampling each other for food, and I can completely believe it.

by Anonymousreply 83November 15, 2020 3:09 PM

America is a guaranteed fail in just about anything these days. It’s dysfunctional.

by Anonymousreply 84November 15, 2020 3:13 PM

The US needs to take this pandemic seriously, it took England 200 years to recover from the plague of 1348.

by Anonymousreply 85November 15, 2020 3:23 PM

[quote]Are we all gonna die?

Yes, and possibly in a parking garage.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 86November 15, 2020 3:37 PM

Parking garages have become the MVP of COVID. They have served as hospitals, outdoor gyms, salons, dining.

by Anonymousreply 87November 15, 2020 3:46 PM

We didn't so much blow it as we got blown.

A list of "public officials" who were infected themselves.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 88November 15, 2020 3:46 PM

The Internet is at the root of many of our disasters, gets down to it. We better get a handle on the Beast once and for all. Stupid is spreading like wildfire. We're fractured into millions of shards.

by Anonymousreply 89November 15, 2020 4:31 PM

How much of a bomb will Thanksgiving be? A ton of people are curtailing plans - altogether or cutting back significantly. But plenty of people are going forward with large gatherings. There was an article yesterday about how 38% are still planning Thanksgiving with 10 or more people. Granted that's just one poll, but still.

by Anonymousreply 90November 15, 2020 5:00 PM

"I don't know if the virus has mutated, but my partner's version of the virus was basically like one big hangover. No coughing at all. Lost some of his sense of taste and has a mild version of "COVID toes" but otherwise nothing that pointed to it being COVID at all."

This has been the case from the beginning. The range of outcomes is pretty big. Plenty of people had your partner's "version" ever since Covid came into our lives.

by Anonymousreply 91November 15, 2020 5:07 PM

Also R27 to add to R82’s comment, your initial comparison is a little dishonest. Sweden has a death rate of over twice that of Canada and a case rate around 2.5 times that of Canada. Further their recent spike in cases is in order more dramatic in comparison to their rates earlier in the year than the same situation in Canada- what this means is one can project that the situation in Sweden is going to take a turn for the worse in a much larger degree than that of Canada.

Which is in turn interesting that the way you phrased your comment makes it sound like Canada has worse in store. I suppose that was a little descriptive dishonesty on your part too.

A much more honest comparison for Sweden is its neighbours. Sweden has had 609deaths/1m. Norway has had 54/1m and Finland 67/1m. That’s a magnitude of around 10x the death rate. One more interesting quantity is that of all the Scandinavian countries Sweden has the lowest testing rate per population.

Hrmmmmm what does it all mean what conclusions could we draw from this?

by Anonymousreply 92November 15, 2020 5:54 PM

Per million....very small numbers for everyone thank goodness.

by Anonymousreply 93November 15, 2020 6:23 PM

R93 almost 1.5m people have died. This number is probably under-representative of the amount of people that have died. People are dying of this at a higher rate over time than Jewish people were murdered during the Holocaust. Maybe that puts some perspective on it for you and these supposed ‘small numbers’.

by Anonymousreply 94November 15, 2020 7:03 PM

[quote]As well as question overreaction

Do you ever question underreaction?

by Anonymousreply 95November 15, 2020 7:11 PM

[quote]Even if Hillary get elected, the situation will be more or less the same. The issue is lack of self discipline of many western country. The entire European countries are suffering.

No, the existing playbook for tamping down emerging epidemics would have been put into place.

No, the CDC would have been allowed to do its normal thing, in the interests of public health not politics.

No, the U.S. would not have pursued Orange's famous "Herd Mentality" solution.

No, COVID-19 would not have been presented as: being no worse than the flu; over by April; identifiable with a Google app; "curable" with warm weather, bleach, light, hydroxychloroquine, and vaccines; ready to disappear; impossible for children, teenagers, and college students to get; almost over and rounding the last corner; conveying immunity after infection; catchable from wearing masks; caused by testing; Obama's fault; Pelosi's fault; Mexico's fault; police brutality protestors' fault; China's fault, Italy's fault; New York's Fault, and Biden's Fault.

No, there would have been coordinated nationwide action on containment, testing, and supply chains.

No, there would have been no state-sanctioned demonization of basic epidemic-hygiene measures.

No, governors, county executives, and mayors would not be scared into inaction for fear of being tweeted at by the President.

No, Chelsea Clinton and Marc Mezvinsky would not be fucking everything up, in ways the people won't even find out about until next year.

by Anonymousreply 96November 15, 2020 7:35 PM

Did people "just get tired" of rationing sugar, gasoline, and nylons during WWII? Was it taking away their freedoms that they couldn't have cake made at Thanksgiving? Did they open their drapes at night along the coast because 'Merica? Did they just decide to fuck it and do what they wanted to do?

by Anonymousreply 97November 15, 2020 7:38 PM

Do you know how pitiful it is that the CVS email above says they have 10,000 locations and have helped conduct 7 million COVID-19 tests?

That's 700 per store--or four each day in the six months of May-October.

Testing is one of the planks of epidemic control, and it's in a disastrous state in this country.

by Anonymousreply 98November 15, 2020 7:40 PM

With each new wave more people will die, because: If the previous wave didn't kill you, but gave you some severe health issue, the next one will finish you off.

Herd immunity doesn't work, because our bodies don't stay immune to the virus.

by Anonymousreply 99November 15, 2020 7:53 PM

[quote] No, the existing playbook for tamping down emerging epidemics would have been put into place....

Yeah all those things would have been different without Trump ... but you’d still be dealing with a country where a substantial portion of the population would refuse to take direction from the government, would behave selfishly, would resist wearing masks... the same population that was dumb or myopic enough to vote for someone like Trump.

by Anonymousreply 100November 15, 2020 7:56 PM

r100, if Trump, Trump's administration, the right wing pundits, the right wing media, and the GOP had pushed their own greed for power aside and did what's good for the country most of their followers would have obeyed the safety measures without question right from the start. Of course, at some point the economy would've pushed to re-open everything again, but most of the public would've kept their masks on inside shops and kept their respectable distance. The crisis would not have escalated like it does now.

by Anonymousreply 101November 15, 2020 8:02 PM

[quote]but you’d still be dealing with a country where a substantial portion of the population would refuse to take direction from the government,

No, without the evil encouragement from the bully pulpit to act in dangerous ways, wearing masks, social distancing, etc., would have become a normal, "everyone pitch in" type of thing. Those that didn't feel like it would have just been peer-pressured into it. I mean, of course some wouldn't, but it wouldn't be like this, at all.

by Anonymousreply 102November 16, 2020 2:44 AM

R47 Prevention is America's Achilles' heel. It's like asking people to eat healthy now so they won't become obese later. Never gonna happen. They will indulge now and try to fix things later. With this epidemic, they will indulge in their "freedom" and every excuse they can think of until their communities get overwhelmed by the virus, then they will blame everyone else and say why didn't anyone warn us?

by Anonymousreply 103November 16, 2020 3:36 AM

Why didn’t they warn us sooner? Why the president tell us he didn’t like masks? I want to see my family! If I wear a mask they’ll judge me!

by Anonymousreply 104November 16, 2020 3:39 AM

[quote] Do you know how pitiful it is that the CVS email above says they have 10,000 locations and have helped conduct 7 million COVID-19 tests?

[quote] That's 700 per store--or four each day in the six months of May-October.

[quote] Testing is one of the planks of epidemic control, and it's in a disastrous state in this country.

Not sure why you want to put this all on CVS, R98.

It's not their responsibility to test everyone. They're a private company, and at least they're doing something to help.

It's the government's responsibility to make sure everyone gets tested.

And if it wasn't for these private companies helping with additional testing, then it would be all on healthcare providers.

Our federal government is almost totally out of the picture at this point.

by Anonymousreply 105November 16, 2020 3:50 AM

R105 I think r98’s point was that it’s weird of CVS to point out a number as if they’ve done loads of testing when they’ve been functionally negligible. Like I don’t think they’d hang a sign outside a location saying “we did FOUR tests yday” do you? It’s a little cynical.

by Anonymousreply 106November 16, 2020 4:24 AM

This all lies at Trump's shitty elevator lifted tiny feet. He's a a psychopath who wants the biggest death count of anyone else in history and to get rich doing it.

by Anonymousreply 107November 16, 2020 5:20 AM

[quote] R100], if Trump, Trump's administration, the right wing pundits, the right wing media, and the GOP had pushed their own greed for power aside and did what's good for the country most of their followers would have obeyed the safety measures without question right from the start.

Maybe (though I still doubt it) but R96 was imagining an America where Hillary was president, not Trump.

by Anonymousreply 108November 16, 2020 7:32 AM

All the republicans are going to have Thanksgiving celebrations because they are pissed off about the elections

by Anonymousreply 109November 16, 2020 9:49 AM

The idiot NYC councilman from Staten Island, Joe Borelli, posted this on Twitter:

Joe Borelli @JoeBorelliNYC · Nov 11 I'll be having more than 10 ppl at my house on Thanksgiving. My address is public record. Some family will come from (gasp!) New Jersey.

Kids will see their grandparents, cousins will play in the yard, sis in law will bring strawberry rhubarb pie, & a turkey will be overcooked.

by Anonymousreply 110November 16, 2020 10:35 AM

[quote]Who do I primarily not see wearing masks - black people and minorities.

Not even sure why you felt the need to bring this up. I live in the South and the only people I see not wearing masks are white. In fact, the only people I’ve seen ANYWHERE not wearing them are white.

ANYWAY

I was watching the news last night on the progress Pfizer is making on the vaccine. Of course, it needs to go to healthcare workers, first responders, etc before the general public BUT just imagine where we might be if Trump's task force had started working on this last year when it was first reported to him. You know, if he actually read his FUCKING daily briefings. OR if he had kept that Obama pandemic task force together. How could you not name that fucker.

by Anonymousreply 111November 16, 2020 11:06 AM

[quote] Joe Borelli @JoeBorelliNYC · Nov 11 I'll be having more than 10 ppl at my house on Thanksgiving. My address is public record. Some family will come from (gasp!) New Jersey.

I was watching my local news yesterday, and saw a story about an elderly couple who both got Covid from a younger family member who visited them, they both ended up on respirators, and they both died.

And this, even though they had basically stayed home throughout the pandemic, always used masks, and washed their hands frequently.

All it takes is one little visit from one family member who was exposed to Covid in the general public, to pass it on to their more vulnerable family members, which might end up killing them.

So Mr. Borelli can snark all he wants to, and laugh, and joke about how "it's only family."

But ANYONE can be exposed to Covid - even close family members - and pass it on to the rest of you.

by Anonymousreply 112November 16, 2020 3:24 PM

Yes, r112. A friend died because his son, who was asymptomatic, decided to go visit his dad in July. Two days later, dad was in the hospital. About 3 days later he was on a ventilator. 4 days later, he was dead.

All because his son felt fine but had Covid.

80% of the people who have it have NO symptoms for the first few days. They run around and feel ok, not knowing that one slip up and someone will die. I hope a bunch of Republicans have huge family gatherings on Thanksgiving.

by Anonymousreply 113November 19, 2020 12:53 AM

[quote]Parking garages have become the MVP of COVID. They have served as hospitals, outdoor gyms, salons, dining.

Drive-through voting site

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 114November 19, 2020 4:11 AM

Brian Williams started off his show with the new stats.

250,000 Americans dead from COVID so far.

A quarter of a million people.

And Trump is silent.

by Anonymousreply 115November 19, 2020 6:15 AM

Trump is *anything* but silent - he’s busily trying to build support for his failed coup attempt, and nothing else matters to him.

Oh, and as far as herd immunity is concerned: Right now about 1% of people in the US have had COVID. To reach 70% would entail the deaths of 70 x 250,000 = 17,500,000 people. Even if treatment advances are able to reduce the death rate by 90%, that still leaves nearly 2 million dead.

And Trump cultists continue to insist they’re “pro-life.”

by Anonymousreply 116November 19, 2020 6:37 AM

[quote]250,000 Americans dead from COVID so far. And Trump is silent.

The Trump administration literally washed their hands of the Covid-19 pandemic in earnest about 2 or 3 months ago. One of the Trump cunts gave a statement to the effect that they weren't bothering with controlling it any more. Trump and the people in his administration don't care. End of story. And out of spite they are not going to allow Biden to implement some kind of plan to mitigate the damage they have deliberately caused by lying and neglect.

They should all be lined up against a wall and shot. America has not dealt with the pandemic at all - the worst country for every pandemic statistic in the world. A real shithole.

by Anonymousreply 117November 19, 2020 7:04 AM

R117 "One of the Trump cunts" = Trump's Chief of Staff Mark Meadows who tested positive for COVID a couple weeks ago and is not apparently "recovered" and back in the WH since he got two negative tests over two days.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 118November 19, 2020 7:48 AM

R118 is NOW apparently "recovered"

by Anonymousreply 119November 19, 2020 7:49 AM

Half the country will not take this rushed vaccine, so don’t think when it’s available that things will suddenly go back to normal. It will still be spreading.

by Anonymousreply 120November 19, 2020 7:53 AM

A lot of younger people are bringing into the homes of their older relatives, R112, and I would bet anything that between the effects of being in lockdowns and quarantines, and the effects of knowing your stupid ass killed some of your own relatives, our country will be one big huge ball of mental illness in about a decade. Add in the people thrown into financial disarray almost overnight because of lack of support from the government, PTSD healthcare workers are experiencing, and the overwhelmed healthcare system causing more deaths than there needs to be, and the entire country will be fucked up beyond reason, even more than we are now.

A little something to look forward to.

by Anonymousreply 121November 19, 2020 8:29 AM

It really does seem like mental illness is spiking, R121.

Even now, I'm finding people that I encounter to be much more hostile and stressed.

Crime is also up, as well.

by Anonymousreply 122November 19, 2020 12:20 PM

Trump and his administration created a toxic environment in the US the NRA couldn't even dream of. All of them should get the death penalty.

by Anonymousreply 123November 19, 2020 12:34 PM

Herd mentality! 😷

by Anonymousreply 124November 19, 2020 1:08 PM

Can someone find the very first covid thread? I remember saying that the coasts would be hit hard first, then people would start dying in droves in flyoverland. Looks like I was right.

by Anonymousreply 125November 19, 2020 1:29 PM

It's not hard at all to control. Wear a fucking mask, wash your hands after you touch something that might be infected including yourself, maintain a distance of 6 feet between yourself and others you don't regularly share a household with, and isolate and get tested if you think you may have been exposed to it. It's only hard if you're a whiny little titty baby who'd rather die and take the world with you rather than follow the rules.

by Anonymousreply 126November 19, 2020 1:47 PM

The core problem is that the needy masses of extroverts with their instant gratification obsession being terribly inconvenienced by this pandemic. Along comes Trump giving them a so-called permission slip to dismiss everything that gets in their way of partying and going on as nothing has changed making the others the problem falling for a hoax.

Another "us vs. them" division by Trump and the right wing.

by Anonymousreply 127November 19, 2020 1:55 PM

[quote] That wedding that's lead to 7 deaths from COVID so far

Oh, dear!

by Anonymousreply 128November 19, 2020 2:08 PM

[quote] R28: No more shutdowns. Death has always been the cost of freedom, from Revolutionary War to Civil War. Anyway, I’ve had several family and friends have this virus and survive, it’s not a big deal if this virus spreads.

When it’s all over, COVID will have killed more Americans than died in all its wars, added together.

This freedom you mention, freedom to do what, exactly? Stores and restaurants are going to close no matter what, as people retreat into their homes because the infection rate is so high. So what, then? To go without a mask? That’s worth 2 million dead?

by Anonymousreply 129November 19, 2020 2:13 PM

[quote] R55: Even if Hillary get elected, the situation will be more or less the same. The issue is lack of self discipline of many western country. The entire European countries are suffering.

This is completely untrue. Remember that Trump disbanded the pandemic response team, and closed its Beijing office?

Trump was so obsessed with his “numbers”, that he kept lying to people about the virus being a “hoax”. Hillary would have shown leadership and found a way to convey the seriousness of this from the beginning. Trump is also responsible for serial superspreder events,

If we indeed get a vaccine in a few month’s time, then it’s just a matter of some minor inconveniences today, in exchange for a long and happy life.

We needed leadership, but instead we got Trump .

by Anonymousreply 130November 19, 2020 2:28 PM

I’m sure it burns aTrump up, that the vaccine, if all works out well, will be ready for distribution under Biden, but not him.

by Anonymousreply 131November 19, 2020 2:48 PM

R130 you have no fucking idea what Hillary would have done.

Stop making shit up.

by Anonymousreply 132November 19, 2020 6:41 PM

"Half the country will not take this rushed vaccine, so don’t think when it’s available that things will suddenly go back to normal. It will still be spreading. "

That's a very good point. Beyond the normal anti-vaxxers, there will be a LOT of people who won't want to take this new vaccine for any number of reasons - from simply political to being doubtful about a first-time vaccine whose long-term effects haven't been studied.

by Anonymousreply 133November 19, 2020 8:34 PM

I will take the vaccine and take the risk of any long term effects. I'd rather deal with that than the long term effects of Covid. Plus, the vaccines have to be peer reviewed and tested. Trust science. It's the only thing that is true whether or not you believe it.

by Anonymousreply 134November 19, 2020 9:02 PM

Oh, I agree R134. But, I don't think everyone - even people who would normally get something like a flu shot - will have the same view. And then there will be all the people who refuse because it's happening during a Biden administration. Unless there's millions of deaths between now and when the vaccine is generally available, I see people refusing to get the vaccine as a big problem.

by Anonymousreply 135November 19, 2020 9:26 PM

R134 The problem is those for-profit drug companies are already rationalizing rushing the science and taking short cuts.

by Anonymousreply 136November 19, 2020 9:41 PM

r136, except they are not. Can you show proof of what you claim?

by Anonymousreply 137November 19, 2020 9:51 PM

R137 Like all the self-serving headlines about 90% or 95% effective vaccines from nothing more than some preliminary data is not an indication of these companies' standard policy of greed over safety.

by Anonymousreply 138November 19, 2020 10:09 PM

Except Moderna has been conducting human trials for a while now on 30,000 participants.

by Anonymousreply 139November 19, 2020 10:26 PM

R130 Where is the scientific paper from this study?

by Anonymousreply 140November 19, 2020 11:07 PM

You get herd immunity with VACCINES. How stupid are these people.

by Anonymousreply 141November 19, 2020 11:13 PM

Moderna needs a level of scientific oversight to make sure. This will not happen, until Trump/Republicans are out of power. Jan 20, 2021 biden and harris take over the white house Nothing is going to change, until then and we have a coherent scientific plan.

NIH needs to have significant oversight. Now Trump and republicans are targeting Dr. Fauci from NIH.

by Anonymousreply 142November 19, 2020 11:19 PM

They can lock down they country in quarantine to prevent the spread. Stay at home orders, social distancing and MASK wearing.

Temp and symptom checks for everyone.

Positives are monitored for worsening symptoms, and their need for hospital care.

This is basic and easy. Trump and republicans are purposely fucking this up and killing our fellow Americans.

by Anonymousreply 143November 19, 2020 11:25 PM

[quote] Positives are monitored for worsening symptoms, and their need for hospital care. This is basic and easy.

No, it’s not. Who is going to monitor these people? Some states have already said there’s too many cases to continue with full contact tracing and they’re only notifying the close contacts of a positive test. Hospitals in some states are overwhelmed and you expect someone to monitor someone who is not in the hospital to see if they need to go?

Maybe before this exponential spread, but it’s too late now.

by Anonymousreply 144November 19, 2020 11:43 PM

R144 It's too late mostly because no one treated this as a dire emergency for the last 7/8 months. Americans can't seem to think a few days ahead much less 2 weeks or more! No surprise it's out of control. This is a slow moving trainwreck.

by Anonymousreply 145November 19, 2020 11:56 PM

We agree, r145.

by Anonymousreply 146November 19, 2020 11:59 PM

California imposing limited curfew through 12/21. Of course it won't do any good, because the irresponsible people will just ignore it and no one will enforce it. Which will lead to an even more draconian shutdown in a few weeks.

[quote] California will impose 'limited' curfew due to COVID-19 surge. Gov. Gavin Newsom has announced a mandatory overnight stay-at-home order that will be instituted throughout most of California to combat a surge in new coronavirus cases, a measure that comes just days after the governor enacted a dramatic rollback of reopenings in much of the state. The order issued by the California Department of Public Health will prohibit most nonessential activity outside the home between 10 p.m. and 5 a.m. in counties in the strictest tier of the state's reopening roadmap - the purple tier. The restriction goes into effect Saturday and lasts through Dec. 21, though it could be extended.

by Anonymousreply 147November 20, 2020 1:33 AM

I imagine that the right wingers who were so in favor of herd immunity will declare it to be facsism when there is a vaccine that needs to be taken. Those anti-vaxxers will gain a lot of supporters, Trump supporters.

by Anonymousreply 148November 20, 2020 3:27 AM

I'm a little nervous about the vaccine. Not because I don't believe in science or virus, but I just don't want to be one of the first ones. That is the general consensus among everyone I know. Most people won't be eligible until late spring. Priority is front line workers, than high risk groups, elderly, and then masses.

by Anonymousreply 149November 20, 2020 4:11 AM

R149 - fine, enough people will have taken it by the time it reaches you. Read the testing and research.

by Anonymousreply 150November 20, 2020 4:14 AM

There are going to be some problems with the rollout of the vaccine. Look at the polio vaccine rollout - one lab didn't produce it properly (Cutter Institute) and it resulted in 11 deaths and several hundred being paralyzed from polio.

The US halted the polio vaccine in 1955, a year after it began rollout.

But that shouldn't deter us.

by Anonymousreply 151November 20, 2020 4:19 AM

Your post did not inspire confidence in vaccines, R151.

You just freaked me the fuck out.

by Anonymousreply 152November 20, 2020 4:22 AM

R152 - sorry. Well, we've learned a lot in 65 years and there should be better protocols in place. I'm just saying we should go into it with realistic expectations and that there may be a couple of hiccups.

by Anonymousreply 153November 20, 2020 4:29 AM

Some brave people will say fuck it and take it. A huge thanks to those volunteers. Think, some queen had to eventually throw caution to the win and be the first person to get a bareback cream pie when testing preps efficacy and we can be thankful to him as well.

by Anonymousreply 154November 20, 2020 4:34 AM

R134, I'm looking forward to our having a safe and effective vaccine as much as anyone, but the fact remains that long-term effects will remain unknown until possibly too late. You say you're rather have long-term side effects from the vaccine than the virus, but how does anyone know what those might be?

Pharmaceutical R&D is continuous, and new drugs take years to reach market. This thing has been under development for less than a year. What if side effects were to turn out include heart damage, brain bleeds, paralysis, or something equally horrible? We know that pharmaceutical companies have rushed drugs to market before and hidden, or left unexplored, potential adverse reactions. The stakes and the potential profits are too high for them to avoid that temptation, I fear.

by Anonymousreply 155November 20, 2020 4:50 AM

[quote] Pharmaceutical R&D is continuous, and new drugs take years to reach market. This thing has been under development for less than a year. What if side effects were to turn out include heart damage, brain bleeds, paralysis, or something equally horrible? We know that pharmaceutical companies have rushed drugs to market before and hidden, or left unexplored, potential adverse reactions.

Have you ever seen those late night commercials with "non-attorney spokespersons" talk about a drug or product that caused cancer, heart attacks, nerve damage, paralysis, kidney failure, liver failure, and a host of other illnesses that may or may not have resulted in death?

Yeah, that. There's your answer.

by Anonymousreply 156November 20, 2020 4:53 AM

[quote]Yeah, that. There's your answer.

What was the question?

by Anonymousreply 157November 20, 2020 4:57 AM

R157 has extremely poor reading comprehension skills.

Read the quoted text in R156 again, and you'll find the question.

by Anonymousreply 158November 20, 2020 5:01 AM

R155 - the side effects you refer to are for ongoing medications that are designed to treat diseases and syndromes. Vaccines make you immune to a virus.

It's very different.

by Anonymousreply 159November 20, 2020 5:19 AM

[quote]Positives are monitored for worsening symptoms, and their need for hospital care.

It's too late for that. We are weeks away from maxing out capacity at all hospitals. Even if Biden did a federal lockdown I am sure there would be many who would not comply. We still can't get people to wear masks.

by Anonymousreply 160November 20, 2020 5:44 AM

The vaccine will be fine. Stop stressing. Most people I know are going to get it as soon as they can. And are counting down the minutes.

by Anonymousreply 161November 20, 2020 5:58 AM

STAY AT HOME ORDERS AGAIN.

by Anonymousreply 162November 20, 2020 6:15 AM

[quote]The vaccine will be fine. Stop stressing. Most people I know are going to get it as soon as they can. And are counting down the minutes.

They should be counting down the months.

by Anonymousreply 163November 20, 2020 6:17 AM

[quote]Have you ever seen those late night commercials with "non-attorney spokespersons" talk about a drug or product that caused cancer, heart attacks, nerve damage, paralysis, kidney failure, liver failure, and a host of other illnesses that may or may not have resulted in death?

No, but I've been traumatized by learning there is something called vaginal mesh.

by Anonymousreply 164November 20, 2020 12:22 PM

Yeah, I was the person who *wrote* the quoted text, and I don't know what your point is.

by Anonymousreply 165November 20, 2020 2:39 PM

That was for R158. Thank you, R159.

by Anonymousreply 166November 20, 2020 2:41 PM

Water cooler gossip I heard in LA today is that there are already companies that are going to make you show proof of vaccine before you can attend an event. There were a couple of specific companies named - maybe Ticketmaster? Do you think companies will mandate vaccine compliance for service?

by Anonymousreply 167November 21, 2020 2:18 AM

R167 - Ticketmaster came out with rules of getting tested for COVID before an event. My partner read something like that to me a few days ago.

I think they may be confusing the article with the vaccine. I have no problems with either.

by Anonymousreply 168November 21, 2020 2:39 AM

it's going to take time to roll out the vaccine. Vaccinate the population. BTW, we do not have one yet.

by Anonymousreply 169November 21, 2020 7:57 AM

BTW R169 we have two.

by Anonymousreply 170November 21, 2020 8:02 AM

[post redacted because linking to dailymail.co.uk clearly indicates that the poster is either a troll or an idiot (probably both, honestly.) Our advice is that you just ignore this poster but whatever you do, don't click on any link to this putrid rag.]

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 171November 21, 2020 6:37 PM

SMH.

by Anonymousreply 172November 21, 2020 6:48 PM

Yesterday hit 204K!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 173November 21, 2020 9:49 PM

R171 I see dumbasses I’m those pictures who aren’t even wearing a mask in the airport! WTF aren’t they at least required to wear one in a crowded ass place like that?

by Anonymousreply 174November 21, 2020 10:09 PM

*in those pictures (now I’m the dumbass🤦‍♂️)

by Anonymousreply 175November 21, 2020 10:10 PM

No you’re not.

Not for an autocorrect change.

by Anonymousreply 176November 21, 2020 10:14 PM

How would you prove that you'd had a Covid vaccine and how would you prove that it had been effective in you?

by Anonymousreply 177November 21, 2020 10:18 PM

R176 Thank you for understanding.🙏🏼

by Anonymousreply 178November 21, 2020 10:18 PM

I'm sure many will, r167, but deplorables will get around that using fake vaccination cards - I'm sure many right-wing grift outfits are gearing up to sell those even as we type.

by Anonymousreply 179November 21, 2020 10:18 PM

[post redacted because linking to dailymail.co.uk clearly indicates that the poster is either a troll or an idiot (probably both, honestly.) Our advice is that you just ignore this poster but whatever you do, don't click on any link to this putrid rag.]

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 180November 21, 2020 10:20 PM

I wonder if counter-vacination commerces spring up.

by Anonymousreply 181November 21, 2020 10:21 PM

[quote] R177: How would you prove that you'd had a Covid vaccine and how would you prove that it had been effective in you?

If you’re in a trial, you won’t know if you got the vaccine or a placebo. You’d be told to continue with mask wearing and other precautions. Then, the test people would follow up with you over time, to note if you get sick or not. Eventually, they’d use statistics to determine whether the vaccine helped.

In recent cases, with 90% effectiveness, it should be really obvious pretty quickly that the vaccine works. After the trial is over, they ought to offer the vaccine to those who got the placebo, but that’s all optional.

by Anonymousreply 182November 21, 2020 11:56 PM

[quote] At the current daily rate of deaths, another 70,000 to 150,000 Americans may die between now and Inauguration Day,

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 183November 22, 2020 3:21 AM

I honestly think we need like 3 million deaths before anyone really cares.

by Anonymousreply 184November 22, 2020 3:32 AM

I think until people are affected by a death close to home, they'll just continue to go about their reckless behaviour, even then, some will not alter their ways.

by Anonymousreply 185November 22, 2020 4:46 AM

They are literally still denying it on their deathbed. We're fucked.

by Anonymousreply 186November 22, 2020 5:44 AM

[quote] I think until people are affected by a death close to home, they'll just continue to go about their reckless behaviour, even then, some will not alter their ways.

I don't think this will work with Deplorables. They are so brainwashed they believe the Liberals released some deadly virus to kill their loved ones and steal the election, which means they feel justified to go after the Liberals for being terrorists based on some Q-Anon conspiracy.

Trump, the GOP, their backers and the alt-right will exploit people's grief to go after the Liberals while they can't think straight even more than usual.

This has the potential to get really dangerous, folks. Joe Biden will have to be BFFs with the FBI and the CIA from day one to deal with these local terrorists which includes the Trump family, the Mercers, Zuckerberg, and Steve Bannon.

by Anonymousreply 187November 22, 2020 7:24 AM

I've just spent fifteen minutes searching in vain for an article I read a couple of months ago. It was an interview with a woman whose grandfather had just died after a few weeks on a ventilator. She said he had had a good life and a slow death from diabetes (or maybe it was emphysema...I can't remember) would have been a lot worse.

She had originally believed COVID was a hoax but now understood that it was real. The main thing she learned is that it's completely out of human hands and when Jesus calls you home, it's your time to go home, and that's why she wasn't going to start wearing a mask.

by Anonymousreply 188November 22, 2020 7:46 AM

[quote] Millions of Americans are carrying on with their travel plans ahead of Thanksgiving weekend despite CDC advice to stay home

Wow.

Americans truly are the dumbest fucks on the planet!

by Anonymousreply 189November 22, 2020 8:17 AM

R189 Giving a toothless CDC advice is as good as giving up controlling the spread of this virus. Everyone else who stays home will need to be doubly cautious for certain relatives coming to town for a holiday visit!

by Anonymousreply 190November 22, 2020 8:47 AM

Remember the news report of a dad not letting his own son in the house, because he went to a Spring Break party?

I'd handle Thanksgiving the same way. "You went to a Trump rally? Your presence is not required this year, dear. Bye!"

by Anonymousreply 191November 22, 2020 9:28 AM

It's absolutely gobsmacking isn't it R189?

by Anonymousreply 192November 22, 2020 9:31 AM

One of my FB friends posted, “Be with your family and loved ones regardless of what might be mandated! Life is too short and God is the only one that determines when your life is done!” These people are beyond dumb.

by Anonymousreply 193November 22, 2020 9:50 AM

R193 These people actually look forward to Heaven/Rapture... nuff said, and they think all the misery in life is just "God's judgment". Reason is literally the Devil to them. The failure of western civilization is not getting rid of religions or at least taming the religion nuts.

by Anonymousreply 194November 22, 2020 10:02 AM

More evidence that religion is a mental illness.

Frankly - I couldn't give a flying fuck if they all die but they shouldn't be able to receive any medical attention when they get Covid. Medical attention should be reserved for the people who did all the right things and took care of their fellow countrymen.

Fuck all religious zealots.

by Anonymousreply 195November 22, 2020 10:05 AM

All the "it's my body, " "life is too short," "I have Covid fatigue" arguments would make perfect and understandable sense if it was just a disease, not a contagious disease. I would wholeheartedly agree with these sentiments then - if Covid was something dangerous only affected the person exposing themselves to it.

by Anonymousreply 196November 22, 2020 1:33 PM

r193, that person shouldn't be considered a friend, seriously

by Anonymousreply 197November 22, 2020 1:36 PM

A few weeks ago someone here linked a picture from a trump rally that showed a man with a handwritten message on the back of his jersey that said his son had died from COVID-19 but he was still believed in republicans or something like that.

I found that horrifying, it’s like he didn’t give a shit about his son or learn anything from how lethal this virus is.

Some people just don’t care and are to stupid to live.

by Anonymousreply 198November 22, 2020 1:56 PM

It's the cult of Donald.

They don't realise that this is a medical issue requiring a medical solution.

All we can do is to protect ourselves and our immediate loved ones and friends as best we can.

Challenge their nonsense, when we feel able to.

by Anonymousreply 199November 22, 2020 2:32 PM

[quote]I don't think this will work with Deplorables

The nurse in the news last week relayed that they are telling their own doctors that it must be lung cancer--they must be dying of cancer.

by Anonymousreply 200November 22, 2020 2:33 PM

The problem is it is not just deplorables but all Americans. Despite initial efforts in spring, LA is surging with record numbers higher than we have ever had in the beginning. We are on a curfew of 10pm-5am (the virus takes a break during these hours), but there are rumors we might have another "safer at home" with everything closed including outdoor dining in the next few days. We have never been indoors other than 2 weeks in June. People are over it, regardless of political affiliation. SF went from being in a mid tier yellow and is spiking back to purple as well. It's primarily indoor gatherings and people under 30 spreading it everyone else. Either enforce the restrictions or let it go, b/c restrictions w/o enforcement just kill businesses and it's clear people will just take the party home with them after 10pm. It's really frustrating for those of us who plated by the rules.

by Anonymousreply 201November 22, 2020 2:40 PM

Because I love you, r201, here are the rules for plating.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 202November 22, 2020 2:44 PM

R201 has a point. Deplorables may be Covid deniers and conspiracy theorists, but people from across the political spectrum seem to be out and about, doing as much as possible. Yes, there is a dedicated population of people who are very cautious and consistently take Covid very seriously, but my point remains that a huge portion of the population does nothing or does something (like wearing a mask to the store) but makes huge exceptions for themselves on a regular basis - going to the gym, having a big, maskless Thanksgiving.

by Anonymousreply 203November 22, 2020 3:32 PM

Completely R203. My office is all extremely liberal, young, all democrats, science believers, but at the same time my boss simply does not want to talk about COVID. He believes in it, but doesn't want it to used as an excuse not to work. My colleagues, gay and straight have all taken trips to Cabo and other destinations during recently. Some of my gay friends have the mantra that "I'm single, I live alone, I'm not caring for anyone elderly and I'm healthy so I'm going to keep living my life." I'm living my life but in the boring way, staying in town, outdoor dining, everything outdoors, etc. I've given up being annoyed with these people and just do my best to protect myself and do my part because I do get what they are saying.

by Anonymousreply 204November 22, 2020 4:07 PM

the "smart" ones only book smart. Dumb cunts!------------

Columbia University bars 70 MBA students from classes after trip to Turks and Caicos

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 205November 22, 2020 4:07 PM

you think only deplorables from the south are dumb?!------

‘Curfew Breakers’ protest held in California against latest COVID-19 restrictions

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 206November 22, 2020 4:09 PM

The problem with all those “if I get Covid, it’s just Jesus calling me home” morons is that each case costs hundreds of thousands of dollars to treat. And uses up scarce hospital capacity that is needed for non-Covid cases (heart attacks, car crashes, Black Friday tramplings, etc).

It would be a lot cheaper and more effective to distribute suicide pills to those people.

by Anonymousreply 207November 22, 2020 4:12 PM

R207, the attitude I am seeing has nothing to do with Jesus. This is the misconception. I think many Americans are simply, "if I get COVID, it is what it is and I have a 99.98% chance of surviving it." People tend to ignore things until they are personally effected by it, unfortunately.

by Anonymousreply 208November 22, 2020 4:15 PM

Their math is off by a factor of 100 - the death rate of people with known COVID infection is 2%.

by Anonymousreply 209November 22, 2020 4:19 PM

I agree with R208. I see a pretty even split among people I know. Everyone does the basic precautions - always wear masks when out and about at stores, medical appointments, etc. But, plenty of them are still trying do a lot - have gatherings, go on vacation, have regular Thanksgiving, and before this latest round of closures - they'd go out to bars and restaurants. I went to outside bars and restaurants a couple times this summer if they weren't crowded and everyone was spaced out. The holiday season should be interesting.

by Anonymousreply 210November 22, 2020 4:20 PM

[quote] Their math is off by a factor of 100 - the death rate of people with known COVID infection is 2%.

Yes.

Also, it has different responses within different groups of people. To my knowledge they never did figure out why the first wave was exponentially worse in Milan than Rome.

If this was affecting little blond girls named Maddiesyn or sassy "Karen's" who weigh exactly between 143-179 pounds, then it would be the greatest health crisis in the history of mankind.

by Anonymousreply 211November 22, 2020 4:40 PM

[quote]But, plenty of them are still trying do a lot - have gatherings, go on vacation, have regular Thanksgiving, and before this latest round of closure

that is pure idiocy

by Anonymousreply 212November 22, 2020 4:42 PM

Trump could really salvage his reputation (and political career?) by becoming a full-tilt boogie Covid warrior. He could be on TV every day (which he loves) working tirelessly to protect the U.S.

But that's not him. He is not that person. He's going to be fuming that he was defrauded and plotting revenge- while the country gets sick and dies.

Thank god he's been fired. And I guarantee he's never coming back.

by Anonymousreply 213November 22, 2020 4:47 PM

Some people (not just in the US) think they are invincible, because of their faith, having access to some over the counter wonder drug or some snake oil, consider themselves in perfect health, or are too privileged or too important to die of something as trivial as the flu2.0.

by Anonymousreply 214November 22, 2020 4:47 PM

"... why the first wave was exponentially worse in Milan than Rome."

Lack of health insurance and available medical personnel.

by Anonymousreply 215November 22, 2020 4:49 PM

R213, that ship has sailed. In fact, all Trump had to do was handle this pandemic properly which basically equates to stepping aside to let the scientists speak, encourage/model mask wearing, and that's it! He would have probably squeaked out the election by doing those 2 simple things.

by Anonymousreply 216November 22, 2020 5:59 PM

[quote] Some people just don’t care and are to stupid to live.

I do love irony.

by Anonymousreply 217November 22, 2020 7:17 PM

[quote] Black Friday tramplings,

😂😂

by Anonymousreply 218November 22, 2020 7:18 PM

R216, I've been thinking that, if Trump had managed to show a slightly below average amount of compassion about COVID, he would have been re-elected. But he couldn't manage even that. Might as well expect any of us to fly to the moon by flapping our arms.

by Anonymousreply 219November 22, 2020 7:33 PM

When the Boston bomber was on the loose, and the entire city was asked to shelter in place, people pretty much did. It was just one day, and a different situation, but it was interesting.I think with good leadership, which we don’t have, more people would stay home for Thanksgiving.

by Anonymousreply 220November 22, 2020 7:40 PM

R219, I often say had trump handled the pandemic with even a modicum of skill, or even listened to the scientists, he could’ve been reelected in a Reaganesque landslide.

I guess there’s a silver lining in his epic failure.

by Anonymousreply 221November 22, 2020 7:46 PM

I live in the Washington, DC region and today, just to get some fresh air, I decided to take a walk on the National Mall. I was out there pretty early on a Sunday morning, and there were still a lot of tourists and runners out and about.

95% of the people walking wore masks. 50% of the runners and bikers did. However, I did see a few family groups walking around without masks (Hispanic...not your stereotypical Trumpers), as well as a soccer game between roughly 20 college-aged males.

I was disappointed every single last person wasn't wearing a mask, but it was easy to socially distance...even on some of the narrower paths near the Washington Monument.

One thing I did realize is that a lot of people, including myself, are tired of sitting at home and waiting for things to get better. Even with the situation getting worse, it hasn't stopped people from wanting to take advantage of the mild weather.

by Anonymousreply 222November 22, 2020 7:53 PM

[quote] including myself,

*eyeroll*

by Anonymousreply 223November 22, 2020 7:57 PM

If you are outside and not near others, 6’, though I use a 10’ rule, you don’t need to wear a mask. That means you don’t need to wear a mask at home or in your car, unless you have people visiting from outside your bub,e. Right?

by Anonymousreply 224November 22, 2020 8:11 PM

If you ever want to fuck with a Christianist who says "God will protect me" (or the blood of Jesus), just ask them why they think they are exempt from stewardship of the gifts I have given them.

by Anonymousreply 225November 22, 2020 8:25 PM

Correct, r224.

If you’re socially distant a mask generally is not required. And I believe almost all of the medical experts have said you won’t get it from the jogger who passes you without a mask. Time of exposure plays a role as well.

by Anonymousreply 226November 22, 2020 9:47 PM

You can also blame the MSM as well with their recent headlines and sensationalism of the vaccine. They have people thinking that everything is fine now and that the vaccine is ready to go when in reality it isn’t. It will be months before most people get it.

by Anonymousreply 227November 23, 2020 12:24 AM

I haven’t seen a single story about the vaccine that hasn’t empasized that it will be long into 2021 before most people can get it.

by Anonymousreply 228November 23, 2020 12:26 AM

LA County (largest in the US) restaurants, which have been open for outdoor dining since May, ordered to close down for at least three weeks beginning on Weds. (Take out and delivery still OK.)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 229November 23, 2020 12:28 AM

The picture at r229 reminds me that I have no idea why muscle from one part of a cow is preferred for some things (chuck=hamburgers) and from another part is the best for something else (sirloin=steak).

by Anonymousreply 230November 23, 2020 12:34 AM

Well - just wait until Christmas time in Europe. I don't think it's going to be that different.

by Anonymousreply 231November 23, 2020 12:54 AM

I hope they have someone who’s already designed those deep freezers, and has someone else already making them, because they will need a lot of them, probably thousands.

by Anonymousreply 232November 23, 2020 1:25 AM

Ugh, R229. They are leading is into another shelter in place if the numbers go up again this week. I really don't know how much of this spike is caused by outdoor dining. Obviously they want everyone home. Dining out is cancelled for at least 3 weeks and I doubt they would open up for Christmas/NYE. Stores at reduced capacity. This is hard on business owners, servers, and there is not a stimulus package in the pipeline until late Jan/early Feb earliest unless some extraordinary meeting of the minds happens over the holidays.

by Anonymousreply 233November 23, 2020 1:33 AM

It should be a very surreal holiday season with some people dropping like flies while others continue to celebrate.

by Anonymousreply 234November 23, 2020 3:02 AM

They better do the same for religious gatherings. Those churches need to be closed until the end of the pandemic.

by Anonymousreply 235November 23, 2020 3:06 AM

Didn't this happen fairly recently in NYC? Insane.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 236November 23, 2020 3:43 AM

Avigdor wait!

by Anonymousreply 237November 23, 2020 3:51 AM

[quote] Today’s first @washingtonpost quarantine TikTok features Pfizer, AstraZeneca and Moderna

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 238November 23, 2020 6:50 PM

I've been keeping track of the rates and we've hit exponential growth

Texas new Covid cases have risen by almost 38,000 cases in the past 20 hours.

Georgia's has risen 8,537 (they average 1,200 to 3,400 per day)

Florida has more than 21,325 new cases

NY is up 17,270 (their daily average is usually 3,400 to 5,500)

by Anonymousreply 239November 23, 2020 10:00 PM

Gizzy bout be Epsteined by 'Rona

[quote] Ghislaine Maxwell Quarantined After COVID-19 Scare in Her Unit. She tested negative.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 240November 23, 2020 10:02 PM

^^^apologies for so many typos in so few words...

by Anonymousreply 241November 23, 2020 10:05 PM

[quote] Texas new Covid cases have risen by almost 38,000 cases in the past 20 hours.

Again, where are you getting this from?

The data shows approximately 1800+.

by Anonymousreply 242November 23, 2020 11:11 PM

Per Worldometer, yesterday Texas had 8589 new cases.

by Anonymousreply 243November 23, 2020 11:41 PM

Vegas is locking down for the next three weeks.

Casinos aren't closing completely, but public places can only be at 25% capacity. That's crazy. Especially for a casino.

With those kinds of rules in place, you might as well just close all businesses down again. They'll just lose money at 25% capacity.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 244November 24, 2020 6:35 AM

There's something about vaccines that most people can't seem to grasp. There is "a vaccine" and then there is a "a safe and effective thoroughly vetted peer reviewed vaccine". If I was high risk I might take the former as the lesser of two risks but since I'm not I'll look for the latter.

by Anonymousreply 245November 24, 2020 6:46 AM

My friend works at a casino in Canada and they are doing terribly. They just reopened, but the customers did not come back. The atmosphere is described as grim and transactional. Before, sure you were losing your shirt, but there was a veneer of cheer and fun to it. COVID has stripped all of that away.

by Anonymousreply 246November 24, 2020 7:10 AM

F&F r239 for his stupidity and refusal to cite his sources.

by Anonymousreply 247November 24, 2020 10:58 AM

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 248November 24, 2020 12:54 PM

COVID-19 spread on plane despite passenger’s negative test, study says

COVID-19 spread to several travelers on a long-haul flight to New Zealand — likely from an infected passenger who had tested negative prior to departure, a new study says.

The outbreak on the 18-hour flight from Dubai in September also occurred despite passengers wearing masks and gloves during, according to a report Friday from the New Zealand Ministry of Health.

The infected traveler had tested negative using a PCR test within 48 hours of the flight departing and was experiencing no symptoms.

But later it was determined that four other passengers had likely become infected by the traveler while on the flight.

“By combining information on disease progression, travel dynamics and genomic analysis, we conclude that at least four in-flight transmission events of SARS-CoV-2 likely took place,” the report said.

The passengers had been within four rows of one other — and tested positive during the country’s two-week mandatory quarantine upon landing, according to the report.

Using genetic sequencing, researchers determined they had the same strain of the virus, which was traced to Switzerland, the country of origin of the suspected initial case, the report said.

Health officials said it’s unclear whether the passengers became infected before boarding, in-flight or after deplaning — but the findings still suggest there’s risk to traveling during the pandemic.

“This outbreak demonstrates the potential for spread of SARS-CoV-2 linked to air travel,” the report said.

The news comes as Americans flock to coronavirus testing sites this week ahead of travelling and gathering for Thanksgiving — despite warnings from officials and health experts that a negative test could offer a false sense of security.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 249November 24, 2020 1:12 PM

I already can see the inevitable nightmare scenario for next year where people who had received vaccination still got infected and spread it to others unknowingly.

by Anonymousreply 250November 24, 2020 1:43 PM

Hence the continuing need to wear masks even if you've been vaccinated.

by Anonymousreply 251November 24, 2020 1:44 PM

Maybe with the approval of the monoclonal antibody treatment there will be less deaths.

Let’s hope.

by Anonymousreply 252November 24, 2020 1:47 PM

Simple fact in which few are able to comprehend including Trump's White House. You can be highly contagious with coronavirus for several days before a test will show a positive result. (I should have capitalized that)

by Anonymousreply 253November 24, 2020 5:03 PM

r253 So what's the point of testing people and taking everyone's temperature? It's just like with HIV -- assume everyone's positive.

by Anonymousreply 254November 24, 2020 5:17 PM

Sorry, but once I am vaccinated - the mask gets 14 days and then I am done with it. I did my part this past year, I will get the vaccine (both doses if required), give it 14 days and that’s it. If I have to wear a giant red ‘V’ fine, but I am done with masks at that point.

by Anonymousreply 255November 24, 2020 5:29 PM

R255, what makes you think masks will suddenly become optional at the precise moment when you get your 2nd dose of the vaccine? Are you expecting the public-health authorities where you live to await a phone call from you so they can lift all mask mandates?

by Anonymousreply 256November 24, 2020 5:41 PM

On the flip side R256, what's the point of getting vaccinated if you still have to wear a mask?

What you're implying is that people are going to have to wear masks forever.

And that's total bullshit.

Vaccination means that you shouldn't have to wear a mask any more. Right?

by Anonymousreply 257November 24, 2020 11:46 PM

Eventually, yes, but not right away. It will take a bit for mass vaccination to work to stop the spread.

by Anonymousreply 258November 24, 2020 11:48 PM

Because, r257, the moment the mask mandate is lifted, EVERYONE will stop wearing them - whether they've been vaccinated or not.

by Anonymousreply 259November 24, 2020 11:50 PM

R256 is right.

You get vaccinated, then it's done.

No more mask.

If need be, then whip out your paperwork to show that you've been vaccinated.

But it is ridiculous to think that people will wear masks for an indefinite amount of time.

by Anonymousreply 260November 24, 2020 11:55 PM

[quote] R244: Casinos aren't closing completely, but public places can only be at 25% capacity. That's crazy. Especially for a casino.

I know, have people learned nothing from Gwyneth Paltrow’s experience in Macau?!

by Anonymousreply 261November 25, 2020 12:00 AM

About wearing masks after you’re vaccinated: you’re not 100% covered. There is still that 5% to 10% for whom the vaccine fails. Best to wait until whatever point it is, when we have herd immunity, so you’re protected by both.

Also, if you’re vaccinated early, aren’t you concerned about how others will treat you? First of all, they will question if you really were vaccinated. Seconal, there are people without access to the vaccine aren’t going to like it that you smugly rub it in their faces that you do.

I think “the state” will have a recommendation as to how much longer to wear the mask, even after vaccination. That’s my hope.

by Anonymousreply 262November 25, 2020 12:07 AM

The point of a vaccine is to work as a tool to eradicate the Covid virus. Although a major tool - vaccines don't stop someone, in the short window they are infectious, passing on the virus to an unvaccinated person. The vaccine will stop the effects of Covid because the vaccinated person has antibodies to fight the infection - not transmission.

Vaccinations, masks, social distancing and frequent hand washing are all tools which need to be used together to eradicate the virus.

by Anonymousreply 263November 25, 2020 12:14 AM

I know what people mean when they say “exponential growth”, but the phrase is almost always misused.

Also, there is no such thing as the ‘larger half”, or “more unique”.

by Anonymousreply 264November 25, 2020 12:32 AM

"More unique" is technically incorrect, but everyone knows what you're talking. Everyday usage is a thing. So there is such a thing as "more unique" and "larger half".

by Anonymousreply 265November 25, 2020 12:36 AM

[quote] Vaccinations, masks, social distancing and frequent hand washing are all tools which need to be used together to eradicate the virus.

I'm not going to wear a fucking mask forever.

I'll do it now, because it's prudent to do so at the moment.

But there will come a point where I will rip off this goddamned mask and say, "that's enough of that."

by Anonymousreply 266November 25, 2020 12:57 AM

No one knows how long these new vaccines will last.

by Anonymousreply 267November 25, 2020 11:20 AM

[quote] But there will come a point where I will rip off this goddamned mask and say, "that's enough of that."

I,I,I....there's no I in team!

by Anonymousreply 268November 25, 2020 11:25 AM

The protection someone gains from having an infection (called natural immunity) varies depending on the disease, and it varies from person to person. Since this virus is new, we don’t know how long natural immunity might last. Some early evidence—based on some people— seems to suggest that natural immunity may not last very long.

Regarding vaccination, we won’t know how long immunity lasts until we have a vaccine and more data on how well it works.

Both natural immunity and vaccine-induced immunity are important aspects of COVID-19 that experts are trying to learn more about, and CDC will keep the public informed as new evidence becomes available.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 269November 25, 2020 12:07 PM

[quote] I,I,I....there's no I in team!

No, but there are several in “idiot spouting platitudes.”

by Anonymousreply 270November 25, 2020 12:54 PM

White House considering lifting European travel restrictions as US Covid-19 cases surge

From CNN's Jeremy Diamond

The White House is strongly considering lifting sweeping restrictions on travel from the European Union and the United Kingdom, an administration official confirmed.

Discussions have been ongoing for several weeks about lifting the restrictions, which ban entry to most foreigners who have been to Europe in the two weeks before their arrival in the US. Reuters first reported on the discussions.

An administration official told CNN that the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention has expressed some reservations about lifting the restrictions, but the agency is not expected to block the move.

The discussions come at a time when the US is experiencing its worst surge of coronavirus, and as many European countries also face higher levels of coronavirus cases.

President Trump has yet to sign off on the move, but once he does, the restrictions are unlikely to be lifted until the US and European countries have established a protocol for safe travel between the two countries.

The White House did not immediately respond to a CNN request for comment. The US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention directed CNN to the White House and the Health and Human Services Department when asked for comment.

Trump first banned most travel from the European Union and UK in March as the pandemic escalated. The EU soon followed suit, restricting most travel from the US and other countries.

by Anonymousreply 271November 25, 2020 1:38 PM

Wow @ R271.

Trump really wants this virus to spread in our population, doesn't he?

He's gone full-on psycho.

by Anonymousreply 272November 25, 2020 1:54 PM

There have been repeated reports that Trump is deliberately trying to make everything impossible for Biden on Day 1. We've already seen other examples affecting the economy and foreign policy, so this doesn't particularly surprise me.

by Anonymousreply 273November 25, 2020 2:40 PM

T-rump and his sycophants were the worst possible people to be in charge at the worst possible time.

I hate every t-rump voter with intensity.

Loved ones dead, economy screwed, family business shuttered.

Yet billions of dollars to those who didn’t need it.

The USA was screwed.

by Anonymousreply 274November 25, 2020 3:08 PM

The sad thing is, Trump assumes everyone is as incompetent as him and his administration. Even if I have mixed feelings about Biden's first round of appointees being career bureaucrats, at least there won't be a learning curve to complicate things.

What's both sad and horrifying is that the MAGA crowd, which supposedly loves America, has no problem with their cult leader doing everything to set his successor up for failure. It won't work, but people will die and our institutions will be weakened in the process.

by Anonymousreply 275November 25, 2020 5:26 PM

Listening to NPR this morning - yes I know it's only one source - but there seems to be substantial and growing population that is hesitant about the vaccines. I'm talking people beyond normal anit-vaxxers. The more its explained how the vaccines work and the process for developing them the more people seem to object and get freaked out.

by Anonymousreply 276November 25, 2020 7:07 PM

Which is precisely why I never wanted to know how sausage was made.

by Anonymousreply 277November 25, 2020 7:17 PM

Lol R277. Exactly.

There is nothing wrong with being suspicious of a brand new vaccine.

Reading that person's post upthread talking about the polio vaccine and how many people during the initial vaccine either died or became paralyzed, it's a very valid feeling to be scared of the initial rollout of the Covid vaccine.

by Anonymousreply 278November 25, 2020 8:08 PM

Except that the Polio vaccine saved MILLIONS of lives compared to the few who died from it or got polio. Millions.

I think getting any vaccine is risky. I recently got a tetanus shot and had a very bad reaction to it where my underarm swelled up and hurt like mad. I have never had that reaction to a tetanus shot before so I emailed my doctor who told me to take Benadryl. I did and the pain went away almost immediately. I also get a flu shot every year. Have never gotten sick from it.

There's always a risk of illness or even death with vaccines. It's rare, but the risks are far less than what you would get from getting Polio or Covid. I will happily and confidently take the vaccine when it is available.

by Anonymousreply 279November 25, 2020 11:30 PM

Just watched a local news report here in LA that said only 3.1% of case can be attributed to outdoor dining and the LA board of supervisors is considering allowing outdoor dining to continue.

The first thing they should have shut down is the airlines. It makes no sense that indoor malls can remain open or hair salons where your risk it FAR greater. At this point, all their shutting us down/curfews, etc. are just hurting the economy and making those of use who live alone even more depressed and suicidal. Really, what is the point of life right now?

by Anonymousreply 280November 25, 2020 11:34 PM

This too shall pass, r280. I promise.

Try to relax a bit, friend.

by Anonymousreply 281November 25, 2020 11:42 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!