Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

It's Turkey Lurkey time!

How do you prepare your bird? I'm thinking of doing a cider brined turkey this year.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 15November 23, 2020 11:16 AM

My family and I will divide-up a grub.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1November 10, 2020 12:55 AM

Deep fried in peanut oil.

by Anonymousreply 2November 10, 2020 1:04 AM

Why the hell are you even thinking of making an entire turkey THIS YEAR? If you are eating Thanksgiving with more than 3 or 4 other people, you are almost certainly going to leave that meal with exposure to COVID. I'll be making a few Turkey thighs in the crock pot and zooming Thanksgiving with my numerous relatives instead of trying to figure out how to find enough dishes to serve 24 people as would be normal for me.

by Anonymousreply 3November 10, 2020 6:47 AM

It’s Pheasant Souvaroff time.

by Anonymousreply 4November 10, 2020 7:02 AM

Cook turkey on the ground.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5November 10, 2020 7:18 AM

mood music

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6November 10, 2020 7:18 AM

It's all about the leftovers

by Anonymousreply 7November 11, 2020 2:00 AM

bump

by Anonymousreply 8November 23, 2020 8:08 AM

That's a question for the help.

by Anonymousreply 9November 23, 2020 8:11 AM

The phrase “Turkey Lurkey” fills me with a murderous rage and deep contempt directed at OP.

But since you asked, I prefer a dry rub on the turkey and then covering it with aluminum foil during cooking to retain moisture.

by Anonymousreply 10November 23, 2020 8:28 AM

Brined 18 hours in a salt/black pepper/chili/tea/maple bath. Trust me.

by Anonymousreply 11November 23, 2020 8:32 AM

Brine away, rub away.

It's all a waste of time and energy.

No matter what you do, it still just tastes like turkey.

by Anonymousreply 12November 23, 2020 9:24 AM

[quote]The phrase “Turkey Lurkey” fills me with a murderous rage and deep contempt directed at OP.

Why?

by Anonymousreply 13November 23, 2020 9:29 AM

The above recipe. Because I have days available for the process. Cook some ingredients in your hand 20 quart pot. Let that completing cool. Add more ingredients, then place your turkey in the 20 quart pot, cover and place in the refrigerator overnight. Like every household has a 20 quart pot. My side by side refrigerator can't hold a 20 quart pot overnight. Why do recipes get written like everyone has a commercial sized restaurant kitchen?

Rubber butter or olive oil around turkey. Put some spices that you prefer on the outside. Sprinkle some on the inside. Inject. Stuff the bird with stuffing, and place in one of those magical cooking bags. Quarter some onions, even potatoes and place around the turkey in the bag. I use my magical electronic thermometer to beep at the correct 165 degrees. About 3 quarters into cooking, I slice the cooking bag open, to brown the outside of the turkey. Delish, moist and succulent turkey everytime.

by Anonymousreply 14November 23, 2020 9:30 AM

I've done Moroccan spice rub and also a spicy curry powder rub. I added a big mess of root vegetables to the pan during the last hour of cooking, both versions turned out fantastic.

by Anonymousreply 15November 23, 2020 11:16 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!