Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Basic and Beautiful Skin

We've had a lot of skincare threads over the years. What I'm after is the most basic, sustainable and sensible routine for me.

About 20 years ago, someone wise told me to stop using soap on my face completely, which I did, and I've probably only used actual soap on my face less than 50 times since then.

Also, he told me to apply a dime-sized amount of jojoba oil to my face after each shower, while the skin is still a bit moist.

I really feel that these two bits of guidance have made the biggest difference in my facial skin, especially considering I was still smoking like a chimney and drinking like a fish when I received such advice.

I've found that I need a good exfoliating solution. I've heard that some people use cornmeal with great results. Any recommendations here? I'd love the input.

Any other natural or simple skincare secrets - share them here!

by Anonymousreply 121March 3, 2023 2:25 AM

sunblock. sunscreen. even on cloudy days.

by Anonymousreply 1November 6, 2020 1:11 AM

drink lots of water.

by Anonymousreply 2November 6, 2020 1:11 AM

Dr. Dennis Gross 2 minute peel exfoliating pads. It is directed to use daily, but I find 2-3 times a week will suffice.

by Anonymousreply 3November 6, 2020 1:12 AM

You don't soap your face? Well, then with what do you wash your face?

by Anonymousreply 4November 6, 2020 1:13 AM

I wash my face very well a few times daily, with warm water and a cloth, R4

by Anonymousreply 5November 6, 2020 1:15 AM

Yep, basic means sunscreen always when you're outside, at least spf50. Hats and even (mary!) Satin glove while driving to prevent age spots on the back of your hands. Drugstore moisturizer if you are still young, avoid ponds which has AHA which makes you prone to sunburns, therefore kinda nagative the sun avoidance tips listed above.

by Anonymousreply 6November 6, 2020 1:16 AM

Exfoliating is actually bad for my skin - makes me break out. I don't like astringent either. I wash with a cleansing gel and moisturize.

by Anonymousreply 7November 6, 2020 1:18 AM

I just saw my dermatologist today. No soap on the face, and no irritating oils. Sunscreen with moisturizer in the AM, and Retin A in the PM.

by Anonymousreply 8November 6, 2020 1:24 AM

Warm water and wash cloth, only.

Oh, and sunscreen, always. SPF 50+

by Anonymousreply 9November 6, 2020 1:25 AM

No sun. No smoking. No drinking. No sugar. There’s very little mystery to it.

by Anonymousreply 10November 6, 2020 1:36 AM

[R10] maybe not a lot of mystery, but how dreary. We want to do whatever we want.

by Anonymousreply 11November 6, 2020 1:44 AM

I have found over the years that the more aggressive approaches to skincare were in fact irritating my skin and triggering breakouts (i.e. doing the opposite of what I wanted). I finally stopped using all "exfoliating cleansers" and anything with salicylic acid a few years ago, and my skin improved dramatically. I will use benzoyl peroxide for spot treatments during the rare breakout, but other than that I keep it limited to products aimed for sensitive skin—gentle, no fragrance, etc.

As far as products go, I swear by Eucerin. I use their hydrating face cleanser everyday, as well as their SPF 30 face lotion. At night, I put on their Q10 face lotion, which is supposedly an "anti-wrinkle" cream, though I don't really care about that so much—I use it because it hydrates my face really well and I wake up glowing—and no zits!

by Anonymousreply 12November 6, 2020 1:45 AM

This stuff made a marked improvement in my skin. I use the Refreshing Face Wash and the Essential Renewal Cream.

You do have to be careful in the sun when using these products, but I am okay with that.

I'm interested in doing a mini peel, but I am also completely chicken.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 13November 6, 2020 1:45 AM

I can take spots and lines, but it's these pores I can keep a roll of dimes in that I wish I could shrink. Ugh.

by Anonymousreply 14November 6, 2020 1:48 AM

Tretinoin (prescription strength retinol), moisturizer, sunscreen. That’s all anyone needs.

by Anonymousreply 15November 6, 2020 1:51 AM

Oracea (low dosage, slow-release doxycyline).

by Anonymousreply 16November 6, 2020 1:53 AM

Copious amounts of hot cum.

by Anonymousreply 17November 6, 2020 1:56 AM

[Quote] No drinking. No sugar. There’s very little mystery to it.

Well then i'm fucked 😄

by Anonymousreply 18November 6, 2020 12:05 PM

Two cheap and cheerful exfoliation tips from an esthetician:

- homemade milk mask with dried milk. Milk has lactic acid, which is a large molecule acid that is more gentle on skin than other acids. It gives skin a nice glow.

- for large pores including those that get those darker, oxidized sebaceous filaments (pre blackheads) - take two uncoated aspirin - which has salicylic acid - a beta hydroxy (oil soluble acid). put a few drops of water on them in a dish. use a gentle brush to mix it up. Add a little honey to give it shape. also honey has antioxidants and soothing properties. Apply to the skin and leave on for 15 - 20 mins. A more pricey option is to get a clarisonic (or similar) and use that to work in dermalogica daily microfoliant. that pulls all of the gunk out of my nose.

And of course, a good vitamin c serum or sunscreen with a good antioxidant cocktail like la roche anthelion or neutrogena.

by Anonymousreply 19November 6, 2020 12:24 PM

It's not like "no soap" means "no washing", just use a lotion/oil type facial cleanser - they float the dirt and whatnot off of your face, instead of stripping it with detergents. No soap really means no detergents.

by Anonymousreply 20November 6, 2020 12:33 PM

I like Cetaphil Gentle Skin Cleanser.^

by Anonymousreply 21November 6, 2020 1:03 PM

R1 and r2. Thread closed.

by Anonymousreply 22November 6, 2020 1:04 PM

So, no face washing at all, R22?

by Anonymousreply 23November 6, 2020 1:06 PM

Whaddabout ass washing?

by Anonymousreply 24November 6, 2020 3:17 PM

Anyone tried one of these at-home high-frequency wands? The pics and reviews are good. Only $50.

This dermatologist is gonna trigger DLers though.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 25January 30, 2021 6:23 PM

I started using Oil of Olay SPF 15 moisturizer this year at the recommendation of my mother who's in her late 60's and has some of the most beautiful skin I've ever seen. I'd only been using it for a month or so when we went out to lunch and she noted what a difference it's made to my skin. It took me another month to see the difference, but it's been a real game changer for me. It also helps that I try to stay out of the sun anyway and always have. Sun, booze, and smoking will wreck your appearance eventually.

by Anonymousreply 26January 30, 2021 6:27 PM

I like the la roche posay and ordinary stuff.

by Anonymousreply 27January 30, 2021 6:34 PM

Queen Helene Mint Julep Masque keeps the face fresh and tight.

by Anonymousreply 28January 30, 2021 7:00 PM

Olay Daily Facials, for sensitive skin for me (oily skin one is like sandpaper) to wash my face. I use the Olay moisturizing creams too.

They're great for traveling too - wet one cloth and wash. Nothing to add. I'm 59 and look 39!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 29January 30, 2021 7:06 PM

I'm 72 and look 14!

by Anonymousreply 30January 30, 2021 7:10 PM

I'm very pale and my skin is naturally drier and on the sensitive side (which I attribute to my Irish/Swedish ancestry). I wash my face twice a day (once in the morning, once at night) with Eucerin's hydrating cleanser. It's basic, no frills, non-drying (obviously), and I've never broken out from it. I order it online because I've weirdly never seen it in a store. At night, I put on Eucerin's Q10 face lotion mixed with a little CeraVe hyaluronic acid serum. I also wear sunscreen every day. My skin is flawless. It wasn't always, though. I had bouts with acne throughout my twenties, but a couple years ago, I finally stopped using anything with salicylic acid in it. I found through trial and error that the salicylic acid was actually irritating my skin, triggering inflammation which leads to—you guessed it—acne! I was stripping my skin barrier every time I washed my face, and worst of all, I was averse to using moisturizer because I (like many people) had been programmed to think that putting any moisture/oil on the face would cause acne. How wrong I was!

by Anonymousreply 31January 30, 2021 7:13 PM

I’ve pretty much always had nice skin except for a period when I started shaving and was doing it badly and it was causing skin irritation. I went to so many doctors to try and find out what was going wrong. Every doctor suggested my skin was fine and that they had worse skin than me. It was true. I hated going to docs and dermatologists that had bad skin and complaining about my “little” skin problems

by Anonymousreply 32January 30, 2021 7:15 PM

Paul Newman used to swear by ice-cold water. But he’s dead now

by Anonymousreply 33January 30, 2021 8:04 PM

Speaking of which, did Joan Crawford have a freezer in her bathroom where she stored ice to use on her face? It was the opening scene in Mommie Dearest

by Anonymousreply 34January 30, 2021 8:06 PM

The secret to excellent skin over the years is Retin A. It's not even a secret. I've done cycles for decades.

And sun screen.

by Anonymousreply 35January 30, 2021 8:08 PM

Sorry, which his what R15 said as well.

Also see a dermatologist as often as you see a dentist to take care of little issues that might arise. They and scan your whole body by the way, and pick up warnings.

by Anonymousreply 36January 30, 2021 8:09 PM

R35 - is the good Retin-A still only available by prescription? I get confused because so many products claim to have "Retinol" and other "retin"-type ingredients.

Does anyone know - is Retin-A and Retinol essentially the same thing? Is it about strength or percentage of retinol in the cream? I'm confused!!!

by Anonymousreply 37January 30, 2021 9:00 PM

Pretty sure Carol Ann just stuck a bowl of ice in there, R34. I wonder if she ever slept...

by Anonymousreply 38January 30, 2021 9:42 PM

I wish I had a dollar for everyone of our DL skin threads.....you’ve all taught me a lot, though it’s always ultimately the same info lulz.

by Anonymousreply 39January 30, 2021 10:37 PM

Vanicream gentle cleanser. Skinceuticals vitamin C serum. Sunscreen. Retinol if needed. LaRoche Posay moisturizer. Dr. Dennis Gross peel pads 3 times a week. You’re welcome.

by Anonymousreply 40January 30, 2021 11:18 PM

Retinoids are stronger than Retinol. Retinol is widely available, Retinoid is attained through a derm.

by Anonymousreply 41January 30, 2021 11:19 PM

Sunscreen daily, Vanicream in the tub, Vanicream bar soap and Philosophy daily exfoliating wash.

by Anonymousreply 42January 31, 2021 12:17 AM

All of that stuff just makes my face red. And exfoliating makes me break out. This is not a one-size-fits-all topic.

by Anonymousreply 43January 31, 2021 12:30 AM

Sunblock everyday, Japanese and Korean sunscreens are the best, they don't leave you looking like Casper. American ones are filled with toxic chemicals.

Tretinoin is a must.

Vitamin C/Ferulic Acid serums are great too.

by Anonymousreply 44January 31, 2021 12:46 AM

I found a knock off of that Skinceutucals, the brand is Eva, I get it on Amazon, works exactly the same (and yes, you need to use it, it is amazing).

I have issues with exfoliation, sebum in nose pores and chin that I am forever extracting — I feel like I’m cursed. I think I know what is causing my problems, but I don’t have the solutions yet. For example, I’ve always battled dandruff (even though I have plugged pores around my nose!). Sometimes I even get flakey in my brows. After years and years of trying things, I think I finally diagnosed myself correctly in having some type of yeast imbalance, that causes the flakes. I also started getting red irritated cracks on the corners of my mouth — again, yeast. I have bad allergies, perhaps that is somehow tangled up in this yeast business.

The sebum in my nose/chin pores I cannot figure out what to do. I’ve tried it ALL, nothing makes it better. It suuuuuucks, what, I’m going to be 90 in a nursing home extracting sebum from my now 5” diameter pores by then? Fucking bullshit.

by Anonymousreply 45January 31, 2021 1:52 AM

I wash my eyebrows with Head & Shoulders to take care of my eyebrow dandruff. I wash my face before bed with Cetaphil. CeraVe night cream. Kheil’s facial fuel with spf. Neutrogena dry touch spf (50 or higher) for outdoor activities. Vaseline on my lips. Cetaphil or CeraVe unscented cream on my body.

I’m 54 and have never had any issues with my skin.

by Anonymousreply 46January 31, 2021 1:56 AM

No soap on face, hydration, Nivea cream, avoid the Sun

by Anonymousreply 47January 31, 2021 2:02 AM

Warm water and a cloth alone don't work if you're wearing makeup.

by Anonymousreply 48January 31, 2021 2:06 AM

[quote]Retinoid is attained through a derm.

And India.

by Anonymousreply 49January 31, 2021 2:28 AM

My secret is to avoid any trauma, ensure there are no unsightly tattoos, moles or scars, and to keep the skins moisturized with a good-quality lotion [bold]OR IT GETS THE HOSE AGAIN.[/bold]

by Anonymousreply 50January 31, 2021 2:35 AM

r46, if you have "eyebrow dandruff" you have issues with your skin.

by Anonymousreply 51January 31, 2021 7:53 AM

Anyone ever have subciscion for scars?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 52February 6, 2021 2:58 AM

African black soap is amazing for washing your face

by Anonymousreply 53February 6, 2021 4:09 AM

R46 I’m only 29, but I get flakes in my brows as well as my scalp. My (white) skin is dry and dehydrated, with lifelong rosacea. It’s hard to find hydrating products that really work on it.

by Anonymousreply 54July 21, 2021 12:16 PM

URTH face scrub.........I've tried them all and it is the best for MEN......(not women)....

....I also use a dab of COSRX snail mucin 92%.........I rub it into slightly damp skin after shaving..........

I know what you are thinking "snail mucin.....you must be kidding"..........it has been an ingredient in face creams for eons.............COSRX just has the balls to list it and call it what it really is..............

And..............I stay out of the sun............at all costs................

by Anonymousreply 55July 21, 2021 12:20 PM

R55 why doesn’t the snail goo work on women?

by Anonymousreply 56July 21, 2021 12:26 PM

r56 URTH facial scrub............ and COSRX snail mucin are two DIFFERENT products..........produced by different companies...... I was saying that the URTH scrub is probably too aggressive for women, and is designed for people with beard stubble.......... The COSRX snail mucin moisturizer is for everyone.......

by Anonymousreply 57July 21, 2021 12:49 PM

R57 ok, cool, thanks for clarifying.

How do they harvest it, though? I hope it’s ethical practise; I really love snails...

by Anonymousreply 58July 21, 2021 12:59 PM

Harvesting is indoor humane snail farms.........snails on glass sheets, snails leave mucin behind, mucin is collected off the glass sheets, micro-filtered and sterilized, then bottled........that is at least my understanding of the process.............these snail farms are gigantic, as almost all facial creams from most manufacturers (worldwide) list "mucin" as an ingredient.......check out the ingredient list(s) the next time you are in the drugstore...........illuminating........

by Anonymousreply 59July 21, 2021 1:07 PM

Sunscreen, Retin A. I don’t use soap on my face.

Exfoliation can damage skin cells so no.

Use as little as possible on your face.

by Anonymousreply 60July 21, 2021 1:07 PM

Yet another thread, the gist of which is "I may be fat, bald and ugly, but damn does my skin glow like a nuclear reactor!!!"

by Anonymousreply 61July 21, 2021 1:09 PM

Joan pored witch hazel in a bowl of ice dunked her face in it.

by Anonymousreply 62July 21, 2021 1:09 PM

^ and dunked her face in it. Girl was a drunk and needed to sober up for those 3am call times!

by Anonymousreply 63July 21, 2021 1:12 PM

Yes R49. I have used All Day Chemist for Retin A for years.

by Anonymousreply 64July 21, 2021 1:21 PM

The "no soap on your face" thing seems to work for me, even though I dismissed it for years.

by Anonymousreply 65July 21, 2021 3:05 PM

For the no soap regime, do you wash with something else? Cleansing oil? Toner?

by Anonymousreply 66July 24, 2021 4:46 AM

R66 Cetaphil all the way. Or a generic version of it.

by Anonymousreply 67July 24, 2021 4:59 AM

Retin A

by Anonymousreply 68July 24, 2021 5:24 AM

R66 Vanicream facial cleanser is great. For those who wear makeup, there is a makeup cleanser cloth called Original MakeUp Eraser that only needs water to remove your makeup - it's antibacterial as well. I don't use makeup, but I use this cloth to remove my sunscreen at night.

by Anonymousreply 69July 24, 2021 6:12 AM

R66, I used to use the Cetaphil gentle facial cleanser, which is soap free (I think), but now I just use a washcloth and warm water. I don't even moisturize during the summer. I do use witch hazel and maybe lotion after I shave.

by Anonymousreply 70July 24, 2021 7:08 AM

R19 drinking store-bought milk is so bad for you—it’s full of hormones, antibiotics, blood and shit. Why would you put it on the face? Doesn’t seem like a great idea, unless it’s grassfed organic straight from the udder.

by Anonymousreply 71July 24, 2021 10:12 AM

Swear by daily orgasms or edging sessions, especially in the morning before you get up. Makes you flushed and glowy.

by Anonymousreply 72May 20, 2022 3:30 PM

DuduOsun Black Soap, hair and body. Real shea butter from Ghana. Really nice on aging skin. Bio oil, sheabutter for dryness and scars. Amazon. Inexpensive, effective.

by Anonymousreply 73May 20, 2022 4:09 PM

I know it's been a long time but if r45 is still around, try tea tree cleanser. I use Desert Essence but there are a million brands. It took about three months for my pores to stop producing sebum and another two or three months for the recurring pimples around the nose to disappear completely, but it worked.

I don't recommend it on the rest of the face though, I was getting huge ingrown hairs on the cheek and chin when I used tea tree cleanser. Now I just use the tea tree on the nose and around the lips.

by Anonymousreply 74May 20, 2022 4:16 PM

Yes no need to use soap on your face. Sunscreen daily and Retin A at night. Has worked well for me .

by Anonymousreply 75May 20, 2022 5:02 PM

Nivea cream

by Anonymousreply 76May 20, 2022 5:08 PM

My medspa recommended this after I got an IPL facial. I adore it. It's the only toner I've ever been able to use because it doesn't irritate my skin. I use it each evening before bed after cleansing and before I slather on the organic almond oil. I'm going to try their skin brightening product too, and maybe test a couple other items they sell.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 77May 20, 2022 5:22 PM

Should add that the ZO Skin Health products are not cheap, but the toner was such a revelation that I don't mind spending the money every few months on a bottle, and I' comfortable shelling it out to try a couple other things too.

by Anonymousreply 78May 20, 2022 5:25 PM

I use DHC's olive oil soap and cleansing oil. Very gentle and thorough. I use Eucerin for lotion.

by Anonymousreply 79May 20, 2022 5:27 PM

[quote]No sun. No smoking. No drinking. No sugar. There’s very little mystery to it.

I'm not going to live like a monk. I'd rather have a few lines on my face.

by Anonymousreply 80May 20, 2022 5:45 PM

Same, r12. Eucerin is good stuff.

by Anonymousreply 81May 20, 2022 5:48 PM

I use soap on my face...but a no fragrance or additives, for sensitive skin. I use Vanicream bar soap.

by Anonymousreply 82May 20, 2022 7:38 PM

If you are old enough that you have to worry about your skin, your prime days are over anyway.

by Anonymousreply 83May 20, 2022 9:18 PM

I'm in my 50s and I stopped washing my face with any kind of soap in my 20's. The water and steam from the shower is enough. I avoid astringents or products - including shaving cream - containing alcohol. I wish I had been more vigilant using sunscreen in my teens and younger days. Paying for it now but found that "blue light therapy" (PDT) helps eliminate the sunspots that magically appear after 40, even if you're using sunscreen at that point.

by Anonymousreply 84May 20, 2022 9:32 PM

For all the talk about wrinkles, it's usually pigmentation and sagging that makes people look old. You can offset pigmentation with sunscreen. As for sagging, resist the temptation to be crazy jogger as you get older - all that pounding will send you body and face into hyper sag mode after 50. Better off cycling, swimming or power walking.

by Anonymousreply 85May 20, 2022 10:04 PM

[quote]Milk has lactic acid, which is a large molecule acid that is more gentle on skin than other acids. It gives skin a nice glow.

True that. Cleopatra maintained her legendary beauty by taking baths in pure donkey milk.

by Anonymousreply 86May 21, 2022 11:00 PM

I wash my face with my shampoo & use a washcloth while I’m rinsing. My hair is dry, so I rub some conditioner through it and leave it in. The residual conditioner left on my hands, I then put on my face.

by Anonymousreply 87May 21, 2022 11:43 PM

mario badescu makes some decent products. i like their cleansing oil. i didn't like any of their moisturizers, they were too heavy. Elemis cleansing balm is nice too and smells good.

by Anonymousreply 88May 21, 2022 11:47 PM

R37 retina A is prescription- the entry level is Tretonin but Differin Gel is actually the next step up and is over the counter (last few years). I prefer Tazorac which some people say is too much for their skin but I love it.

by Anonymousreply 89May 22, 2022 12:11 AM

Bump

by Anonymousreply 90February 22, 2023 3:48 AM

I would see a dermatologist if you're unhappy with your skin. A lot of stuff (adult acne, rosacea) is treatable with oral medication. You don't have to spend that much $ on topical products.

by Anonymousreply 91February 22, 2023 4:04 AM

Dial soap. Shower every other day. Exfoliate with wash cloth once month. Apply lotion once week. That's it.

by Anonymousreply 92February 22, 2023 4:19 AM

Sunblock, sunblock, sunblock.

I'm one of five kids. One of my sisters is sun sensitive and has been militant about wearing sunblock since she was young. She's aged considerably better than the rest of us.

by Anonymousreply 93February 22, 2023 4:23 AM

A ten percent solution of lactic acid applied with a cotton ball two or three times a week is an excellent exfoliant. My derm calls lactic acid 'one of the good ones'.

by Anonymousreply 94February 22, 2023 4:27 AM

R94, what are the bad ones?

by Anonymousreply 95February 22, 2023 4:39 AM

This is as basic as it gets but a step above drugstore brands.

-Keihl's Ultra Face Moisturizer with SPF 30 in the AM

-Keihl's Ultra Face Moisturizer without SPF in the PM

These are really the basics - maybe add a moisturizing eye cream to the mix and a face wash. Anything drying or irritating is bad.

I have really white, sensitive skin and this stuff works well. You really can't go wrong with anything from Kiehl's.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 96February 22, 2023 5:59 AM

R31 I use the Eucerin stuff too. I get in on Amazon.

by Anonymousreply 97February 22, 2023 6:30 AM

We had so many great skincare threads that were lost in the purge.

by Anonymousreply 98February 22, 2023 7:09 AM

The best thing for your skin is do not stress. I know it's easier said than done, but my mother always knew how to handle stress and looks 20 years younger than her age. No exaggeration. She has always been mistaken for far younger than her age.

by Anonymousreply 99February 22, 2023 7:49 AM

R95 The bad ones are physical exfoliants like ground up walnut shells and mechanical exfoliants such as rotating brushes. Chemical exfoliation by alpha- and beta-hydroxy acids is safer and better for skin. You should always start with a weak solution and do a patch test first before putting it on your whole face.

by Anonymousreply 100February 22, 2023 12:20 PM

hylamide subq serum is an alternative to retinols, the chemistry retin a oil is the best product for evening out the skin tone of the body, they are 50% off at the moment. Buy them right now Exfoliate atleast once a week, salicylic acid for the pores, glycolic acid toner with cotton wipe for exfoliating away the dead skin layers,if u gave sensitive skin, use the ordinary lactic acid 10% instead of the glycolic acid The glycolic acid is also good for the smelly armpits The la roche posay tinted sunscreens to prevent darkspots

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 101February 24, 2023 8:27 AM

the botox alternatives

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 102February 24, 2023 8:29 AM

R88- mario badescu put steroids in their skincare products

by Anonymousreply 103February 24, 2023 8:31 AM

R89- try the beauty of joseon retinal eye serum if u want something stronger than the retinol. They can be use as a face serum

by Anonymousreply 104February 24, 2023 8:33 AM

For years I was using a Lab Series product originally called "Lift Off." I do think I'd have a lot more wrinkles if I hadn't. Then it got too expensive ($25 to $50) and now I use something from Whole Foods.

by Anonymousreply 105February 24, 2023 8:35 AM

R55- the cosrx snail cream is really good for fading fresh or active acne scars but as a moisturiser, the hydration does not last more than 4 hours. The isntree hyaluronic acid gel cream is better. The beauty of joseon dynasty cream is the best bang for the bucks antiaging cream

by Anonymousreply 106February 24, 2023 8:38 AM

R73- the % of retinol in the bio oil is very low, use the chemistry retin a oil instead. They are 50% off at the moment

by Anonymousreply 107February 24, 2023 8:42 AM

Whatever Martha Stewart is doing, I want to do it!

I can't believe this is an 81-year-old's skin.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 108February 24, 2023 8:55 AM

for the hyperpigmentations

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 109February 24, 2023 9:00 AM

[quote] a good exfoliating solution

it sounds reductive I know, but any abrasives can be added to any mixture to make a good solution...

your individual needs (allergies, skin type, etc) and preferences may vary..

if you're heading the natural or DIY route, it can be a bit of more of an investment than just buying off the shelf.

simple is getting a cheese cloth and experimenting with fruits and vegetables -- a kind of ghetto way of extracting oils. .. the excess mess can be used in multiple ways too.

If you've got a juicer, you end up with excess pulp. so, that itself can be used or pressed through your cloth.

as to abrasives, some might use egg shells, salt, etc or even reusable (or degradable) artificial elements.

etsy to amazon often has deals on chips and odd bits of various oils, creams, butters, etc to play with.. . I'd suggest aiming for DIY makers selling leftover scraps on etsy, you'll have an assortment to test without a significant investment. although if you already have a general idea of a short list of what ingredients you'd like to use, you can find a decent enough deal with bulk sizes on amazon.

If you want to be elaborate, there's many recipes out there but it often falls to misnomers, fads and quackery, so, simplicity and low investment is better to start with

by Anonymousreply 110February 24, 2023 9:04 AM

prescription retinoids, a good moisturiser, sunscreen. After 50, find a sunscreen that is a bb creme to have a nice even tone.

by Anonymousreply 111February 24, 2023 9:19 AM

R111- the la roche tinted sunscreens r good

by Anonymousreply 112March 1, 2023 7:22 PM

How is Mary Kay ?

by Anonymousreply 113March 1, 2023 11:57 PM

CeraVe

by Anonymousreply 114March 2, 2023 7:27 AM

I looked into it thoroughly and all of the most credible sources seem to agree that chemical exfoliators are by far the best solution.

by Anonymousreply 115March 2, 2023 7:38 AM

Got great advice here back in the early 2000's to stop stripping my face with soap and heavy exfoliants, and I'm so grateful. Here's what's been working for me:

Ubeauty Resurfacing Compound. Expensive af, but combines lots of active ingredients in serums so you're getting more bang for your buck. Also more effective as you're applying all of those ingredients consistently.

Murad Oil and Pore Control Mattifier with braid spectrum SPF 45. I'm not one for glowy looks, but this is a good sunblock solution for light exposure days.

Ren Ready Steady Glow AHA tonic - I only use this a few times a week to get some AHA exfoliating done, but my skin is not as lively when I don't use it.

Murad AHA/BHA exfoliating cleanser - The pros say to get both AHA and BHA in your routines, so I do a double cleanse with this one twice a week

REN everclam cleansing gel is a great daily. I do the clearcalm clay cleanser as step one on my double cleanse days with the Murad above.

For a more hydrating night cleanser, I've had good results with Oskia Renaissance Cleansing Gel. My skin type can only handle super hydration once in a while, and this does the trick.

Finally, Google Caroline Hirons. She's a straight talking Brit who's been in skincare for decades, will call bullshit often, knows when you need to start escalating things to the medical pros, and has delivered the best advice I've seen.

by Anonymousreply 116March 2, 2023 8:16 AM

R116 what is your skin type though

by Anonymousreply 117March 2, 2023 8:26 AM

Combo, in my mid-40's, R117. Most hydration-forward products irritated my skin until a few years ago. People do say they're surprised when I tell them my age, but I think it's a combo of genes, products, and really avoiding the sun.

by Anonymousreply 118March 2, 2023 8:44 AM

I avoid any products with alcohol in them, it dries the skin. I also don't use petroleum jelly aka Vaseline. But yeah, the three most important rules of (basic) skincare are the three Ms: Moisturize, moisturize, moisturize. That and a healthy diet.

by Anonymousreply 119March 2, 2023 9:08 AM

[quote] I also don't use petroleum jelly aka Vaseline.

You mean you aren't slugging??? You need an occlusive to seal it all in!

by Anonymousreply 120March 2, 2023 6:24 PM

R119- the sun causes upto 90% of the ageing of the skin

by Anonymousreply 121March 3, 2023 2:25 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!