Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

I am rewatching 'The Sixth Sense' (1999) for the first time since it came out, and Toni Collette should have won that Oscar.

She was my pick the year she was nominated, and was sad when she lost. I woke up early this morning and decided to rewatch it, and it is very good. It holds up beautifully, and the acting is incredible, the twist was shocking at the time, and its an all around interesting film.

Bruce Willis is great, but Haley Joel Osment truly was incredible in this film. I know many people (then and now) sort of laughed at his Oscar nomination, but I do not get why, he was brilliant. He was better than Willis in most of their scenes together.

My mother laughed when Toni was nominated and said no way she would win for that ridiculous "nothing" performance, but she was my pick. My mother was right, she did not win, but years later I still feel she gave a phenomenal performance as the mother. She was lovely.

Did/Do you like it?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 46October 28, 2021 10:25 PM

I love Toni Collette in everything, and she was wonderful in this. That scene in the car was phenomenal.

by Anonymousreply 1October 31, 2020 2:05 PM

This scene made me feel angry when I watched it, btw. I would have killed that cunt.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2October 31, 2020 2:06 PM

Toni Collette or Chloe Sevigny should have won. Both excellent actresses Hollywood has never quite known how to utilize properly.

Angelina Jolie’s Oscar for her histrionics in ‘Girl, Interrupted’ was such a waste.

by Anonymousreply 3October 31, 2020 2:14 PM

When Tony Colette stepped out of the car after that scene with Haley Joel, she should’ve stepped onto a red carpet, and been handed an Oscar. Whew!

by Anonymousreply 4October 31, 2020 2:32 PM

^^^^^

* Toni

by Anonymousreply 5October 31, 2020 2:33 PM

Angelina in “Girl, Interrupted” was sort of iconic, though. Lisa was the perfect character for Jolie at that point in her career, and she pulls off a couple of quieter moments beautifully that justify her Oscar for me.

by Anonymousreply 6October 31, 2020 2:37 PM

That whole category was really strong that year. Even Samantha Morton was kind of lovely as a mute laundress in a Woody Allen.

However, I also would have voted for Toni Collette. Her last scene in the car with HJO is iconic.

by Anonymousreply 7October 31, 2020 2:50 PM

Amazing that after all these years, I have never seen it - AND somehow the surprise has never been spoiled for me. Nothing I have ever read reveals what the twist is.

by Anonymousreply 8October 31, 2020 3:03 PM

R8, you’re not too bright, are you? I like that in a man.

by Anonymousreply 9October 31, 2020 3:17 PM

That was a stacked year, any of them would have been a good choice.

Angie

Samantha Morton

Chloe Sevigny

Toni

Catherine Keener

by Anonymousreply 10October 31, 2020 4:10 PM

[QUOTE] Amazing that after all these years, I have never seen it - AND somehow the surprise has never been spoiled for me. Nothing I have ever read reveals what the twist is.

That’s amazing! I actually did not know the twist when I saw it in the theater and it was very satisfying. Today is the perfect day to finally watch it!

by Anonymousreply 11October 31, 2020 5:38 PM

I remember when my mom went to see the movie and we were talking about it on the phone afterward. I asked her what she thought of the ending, and she said, "It was all a dream." She didn't get it.

by Anonymousreply 12October 31, 2020 6:26 PM

I had no problem with Osment getting a nomination for his role. Without his performance the film would not have worked. It probably was some of Bruce's best work.

I always felt a little bad for the Others which came out afterwards (but was filmed first). The Six Sense's twist took a way some of its surprise factor. Still a good movie and the role was perfect for Nicole.

by Anonymousreply 13October 31, 2020 10:17 PM

R13 I was just thinking about The Others also. I remember people being shocked by the ending but then saying it was a ripoff of The Sixth Sense.

by Anonymousreply 14October 31, 2020 10:19 PM

R13, why do we always end up talking about fucking Nicole Kidman?

by Anonymousreply 15October 31, 2020 10:19 PM

She should have won for Hereditary, but she wasn’t even nominated.

by Anonymousreply 16October 31, 2020 10:22 PM

I would have voted for Samantha Morton but yeah that is one fight category.

by Anonymousreply 17October 31, 2020 10:25 PM

R16 Hereditary was a piece of shit. I love Toni, but that movie was sick.

by Anonymousreply 18November 1, 2020 12:11 AM

The son in Hereditary was miscast. Two wasps aren’t having a son that looks like that.

by Anonymousreply 19November 1, 2020 12:13 AM

R19 Agreed. The whole movie was a mess. And the ending was ridiculous. As bad as that other piece of shit by the same director, "Midsommar."

by Anonymousreply 20November 1, 2020 12:17 AM

I always get Sixth Sense and 5th Element mixed up

by Anonymousreply 21November 1, 2020 12:24 AM

R13 The Others was NOT filmed first. Here are the filming dates:

The Sixth Sense: 21 September 1998 - 13 November 1998

The Others: 26 June 2000 - 21 November 2000

by Anonymousreply 22November 1, 2020 6:05 AM

1999 was a strong year in film.

I agree with the OP. It should have been Toni or it should have went for the truly deserving winner for Girl, Interrupted: Brittany Murphy. Jolie was all histrionics and scenery-chewing; Murphy was sympathetic and heartbreaking.

by Anonymousreply 23November 1, 2020 7:03 AM

R8 I saw this in the theatrical release. I did figure it out before it was revealed, and at the time I didn't mind. It was my first Shyamalan film. I saw other Shyamalan films in their subsequent releases, but because he relied on this "twist gimmick", it became tired, and formulaic. The films that followed weren't nearly as good ("The Village").

I DO love Ann Roth's costumes, Tom Foden's scenic design, and James Newton Howard's score in "The Village", but the ending was just ridiculous. And while I like her now, I found Bryce Dallas Howard really annoying in that film.

ANYWAY...

I agree with R13 about Osment & Willis. Collette was my favorite part of this film. She absolutely deserved that Academy Award.

by Anonymousreply 24November 1, 2020 7:30 AM

I saw this in the cinema when it first came out. As Bruce Willis is shot and killed in the first scene, and nobody but Osment looks at him or talks to him throughout the film - especially in that hilarious dinner scene with his wife in a restaurant where she is completely wordless - and Osment actually says, “I see dead people,” there was no twist for me at the end, other than I was sitting in a cinema with a bunch of not very bright, unobservant people who paid no attention to detail.

For me, this film has always represented the stupidity and inattentiveness of people and their willingness to just go along with absurd, illogical circumstances, presented by an incredibly lazy director and writer who was way over-praised for this.

The horror genre has thus far really misused Collette’s talents, especially in that awful Hereditary garbage, where everybody, not just the son, appears to be acting in a different film, none of them very good or credible.

by Anonymousreply 25November 1, 2020 8:03 AM

R25

I'll admit to being one of those idiots, but, that said, there were a number of devices in the Sixth Sense that I thought were stupid even before the big reveal, such as the Munchhausen's victim accidentally filming her mother poisoning her and ghosts somehow being picked up on a tape recorder.

by Anonymousreply 26November 1, 2020 8:19 AM

Toni was fantastic in Drag Race.........

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 27November 1, 2020 8:25 AM

R2 not to nitpick, but they really should have a better deign of that "Pine Sol" like cleaning bottle, sure they can't use brand names like Pine Sol or its bottle design, but that "New Pine" product bottle is a failure, can't see the name clearly and it looks more like a bottle of soda.

by Anonymousreply 28November 1, 2020 8:37 AM

R28 I agree. I was obviously able to understand what was happening, but that prop design was definitely a fail.

by Anonymousreply 29November 1, 2020 10:33 AM

Thanks R27 , I swore reading it was actually done before and released later, but maybe that just pre-development, getting the rights to the story etc. , or just some spin they put out there to combat people saying it copied Sixth Sense.

I made the mistake of watching the Catherine Zeta Jones version of Hill House. It was incredibly bad. Although, as much as the board makes fun about her lying about her age, she was incredibly attractive at that time. Still -- really bad movie.

by Anonymousreply 30November 1, 2020 12:49 PM

The Haunting was terrible

by Anonymousreply 31November 1, 2020 3:12 PM

R12, did you ever tell your mom what The Sixth Sense was really about, and if so, what did she think then? Did she end up understanding it?

Toni Collette is a wonderful actress. All her performances have heart.

by Anonymousreply 32November 1, 2020 3:26 PM

R30

The Others was a best-seller suspense novel in the 70s.

by Anonymousreply 33November 1, 2020 3:43 PM

Nicole should have been nominated for The Others over Moulin Rouge

by Anonymousreply 34November 1, 2020 3:46 PM

R32 She really thought Bruce Willis' character in the movie had dreamed up the whole Haley Joel Osment thing after he had been shot. So I patiently explained to her that Bruce was dead and didn't know it, and that's why Osment could see him. Then I walked her through how no one in the film ever interacted with him except for Osment. She finally got it then.

by Anonymousreply 35November 1, 2020 3:51 PM

I loved her in this as well-

The car scene was incredibly moving..

She really reminded me of hard working single women with children that I have known in my life-

by Anonymousreply 36November 1, 2020 3:52 PM

I always thought that the movie had an early 80s look and sensibility. I didn’t understand why it was set in the present day.

by Anonymousreply 37November 1, 2020 4:06 PM

I was very impressed by her performance in this and her final scene always moves me to tears. I hope that, one day, she gets a great role worthy of her talents and gets an Oscar. I thought she might get a nomination for Hereditary, but it didn't happen.

by Anonymousreply 38November 1, 2020 6:51 PM

Raise your hand if you want to hang out with R25.

by Anonymousreply 39November 1, 2020 6:54 PM

R33, you're thinking of The Other by Tom Tryon, published in 1971 and made into a really dull film in 1972. Not The Others, which was an original screenplay by Alejandro Amenabar.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 40November 2, 2020 2:32 PM

I think people forget what a huge hit this film was.

by Anonymousreply 41November 2, 2020 2:51 PM

Nobody asked you, R39!

by Anonymousreply 42November 3, 2020 10:30 AM

How would a sequel work?

by Anonymousreply 43January 11, 2021 4:25 PM

The car scene is flawlessly played.

by Anonymousreply 44October 28, 2021 8:51 PM

Toni Collette is incredibly gifted and deserves an Oscar but unfortunately she is constantly underpraised. On the other hand dreary Miss Mopettes Michelle Williams and Amy Adams, along with refrigerator woman Nicole Kidman, get all of the critical accolades. Colette improves any film she is in. I can't think of one poor performance from her.

by Anonymousreply 45October 28, 2021 9:07 PM

You’d think Colette would be a shoe in for at least a Supporting win at some point in her career. It’s sort of absurd that she’s only been nominated once.

by Anonymousreply 46October 28, 2021 10:25 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!