Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Tori Amos is insightful about politics.

Tori Amos was interviewed for a literary festival this week because she published a politically themed memoir called “Resistance” this year.

I wouldn’t have thought to post this except I just saw a thread about Mitch McConnell in which someone said he wants us all to die, and it recalled in a way some of what Tori says in this interview. She’s very insightful and I can’t really paraphrase this long discussion in a way that doesn’t sound a little trite, but what stood out to me most is when she discusses how the United States has been converting for years into a social system in which the majority have been reduced to a serfdom class and are regarded as existing only for the use and disposal by the small ruling class of oligarchs. She says that this has been going on for many years and that American people just have not acknowledged it by and large because it’s too ugly a reality, and too out of keeping with what we were taught we are. She talks about meeting people in Russia and Ukraine on tour who say they know all the information they get from official sources is lies, constant lies, and they insulate themselves from it and preserve their sanity with “an armor of art.” On two different albums, she sings about how “we must out-create” destructive forces rather than being destroyed by them or assimilating to them.

Anyway, you might enjoy this discussion unless you’re one of the DL’s resident Russian trolls.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3November 22, 2020 10:33 PM

Just make her the Queen of the U.S.A., already.

by Anonymousreply 1November 22, 2020 10:17 PM

As it have been mentioned here many times before, this all started with Reagan. Reaganomics or in reality let the rich feast on all they want and just maybe a few crumbs will trickle down to the rest of us soften Americans up for what is happening now.

by Anonymousreply 2November 22, 2020 10:25 PM

"Art will heal the world" is your definition of insightful about politics, OP? Do you think the 'If I Could Buy The World A Coke' song is insightful about politics too?

by Anonymousreply 3November 22, 2020 10:33 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!