Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

'Thank You, Brokeback Mountain' Campaign - anyone remember that one?

This is kind of an embarrassing memory, but I was a young gayling in the mid 2000s and was only out to a few friends. And, flawed as it might be, Brokeback Mountain meant a lot to me at the time. When it lost the Best Picture Oscar to Crash, it felt like the establishment telling gays to stay in our lane. And, so, in the pre-social media days, a bunch of us on some forum (I forget which... no... it wasn't Datalounge) pooled resources to buy a full page color ad in Variety thanking Ang Lee and his cast and crew for telling this beautiful story. I think I contributed $50. Such a "Mary!" thing to do, but I remember getting my copy of Variety and having this secret sense of pride that I couldn't really share with anyone else at the time.

Looking back, it seems almost comical. And, no, today, I of course don't put much stock in award shows. But, at the time, it was meaningful to me.

Anyway, by chance, were any of you also a part of that 'campaign'?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 19January 11, 2021 6:40 PM

OP it says on the bottom of the ad where it came from. I don't think it was dumb. Brokeback Mountain moved a lot of us. It was a huge disappointment that it didn't get recognized. Jake and Heath really did a great job, especially Heath.

by Anonymousreply 1October 28, 2020 2:55 PM

It’s not dumb at all - it’s very meaningful and you made a statement the best way you could at at the time. I think it’s very lovely.

by Anonymousreply 2October 28, 2020 3:01 PM

MARY!

by Anonymousreply 3January 9, 2021 4:03 PM

The BBM Oscar loss as Best Picture will be talked about forever. It's already legendary. And as much as I like Phillip S. Hoffman, Heath Ledger totally deserved the Oscar that year.

by Anonymousreply 4January 9, 2021 10:58 PM

I contributed too. I still have that issue.

by Anonymousreply 5January 9, 2021 11:05 PM

I LOVE Brokeback Mountain and what you did was beautiful. I’d do the same too. The movie is timeless classic and will stand the test of time.

by Anonymousreply 6January 9, 2021 11:14 PM

This is the site that bought the ad. I contributed too. Can't believe it was so long ago.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7January 10, 2021 5:27 AM

donald trump was banned from all sorts of social media today, including Grindr

I bet pence is getting worried that he'll be blocked too

by Anonymousreply 8January 10, 2021 7:08 AM

It will be a long while until a superb cinematic experience that Brokeback Mountain is enjoyed again. This film will last through the ages. A timeless gem, it is.

by Anonymousreply 9January 10, 2021 7:38 AM

Annie Proulx hates that she wrote Brokeback. It’s the bane of her existence.

by Anonymousreply 10January 10, 2021 1:56 PM

[quote]Annie Proulx hates that she wrote Brokeback.

So do I.

by Anonymousreply 11January 10, 2021 2:00 PM

Aw you sweet thing. OP I think what you did is inspirational, just like the movie.

by Anonymousreply 12January 10, 2021 2:31 PM

I remember that campaign, and the website at R7! I thank you for donating, OP. BBM was a big deal. I still vividly remember the first time I saw it -- in a tiny little mini-multiplex in Dupont Circle. Is that theater still even there?

by Anonymousreply 13January 10, 2021 2:45 PM

You had to have been there. I'm glad I was.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 14January 10, 2021 4:15 PM

I wish DL had an lol button for R9.

by Anonymousreply 15January 11, 2021 5:41 AM

Thank you for not making fun of me for being a dramatic 23 yr old Mary! You bitches are slipping.

by Anonymousreply 16January 11, 2021 7:32 AM

I’m a straight dude, but I was just as pissed as OP about the Oscar snub. I thought/think “Brokeback” is a beautiful movie. Career best performances from both Jake G. & Heath Ledger. I like it so much that not even Anne Hathaway’s presence can drag it down, lol. “Crash” was pandering tripe.

by Anonymousreply 17January 11, 2021 10:40 AM

[quote] I LOVE Brokeback Mountain and what you did was beautiful. I’d do the same too. The movie is timeless classic and will stand the test of time.

It was NOT hailed as a "timeless classic" at Datalounge. We had many notes for the director and screenwriter. We were not impressed by the "rape" scene -- it is impolite and classless to forcefully enter a bottom using your own saliva in place of lube. We were unsettled by the gay shame and the shameful lack of personal style.

by Anonymousreply 18January 11, 2021 10:49 AM

There is nothing embarrassing about the ad. VARIETY is flooded with ads exactly like that for every nominee every year..

It was a good cause and nothing for the piece of shit OP to smirk at. And BROKEBACK was many times better than CRASH, btw.

OP = Boris the homophobe, just gay-bashing again and trying to distract from a nation of Americans who hate the Republicans right now, who are facing their comeuppance.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 19January 11, 2021 6:40 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!