Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Yosemite National Park

I want to go in spring. Worth it? Do any DLers have any tips?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 105November 23, 2020 11:18 PM

Why would anyone name a national park after a shoutout to Jews?

by Anonymousreply 1October 27, 2020 7:39 AM

šŸ™ˆ I just got that.

by Anonymousreply 2October 27, 2020 8:32 AM

ā€œSpringā€ in Yosemite is late May

by Anonymousreply 3October 27, 2020 9:27 AM

If you were in Thighland there wouldn't be a Yo-Semite

by Anonymousreply 4October 27, 2020 9:40 AM

I'll write up some tips and post them later today.

by Anonymousreply 5October 27, 2020 9:45 AM

OP you will be eaten by a mountain lion or a bear or a serial killer will cut off your head and feed it to a mountain lion or a bear.

by Anonymousreply 6October 27, 2020 10:03 AM

Yosemite used to be beautiful 30 years ago--don't know how it is now. I'd advise rent a home in the valley and drive in for dining, tourist stuff.

by Anonymousreply 7October 27, 2020 10:07 AM

OK, I'v been there a few times.

Go early in the spring, that's when all the waterfalls are running full blast. It's spectacular if there was as lot of snow in the winter. Before Covid it gets really busy, over a million visitors so plan on lots of people the closer you get to summer with families and kids. It's great place for pictures and hiking. Everything from grandma to extreme mountain face climbing. Vernal falls Mist Trail is really cool, easy hike and when you get to the top there are a bunch of guys hanging out sunning, sometimes shirtless! But I digress, it's really cool because you can look over the edge of the waterfall. Bring something to eat as well as liquids.

Book your hotel now! There are very few options and even camping gets booked to capacity months in advance. If money is no object The Ahwahnee is hands down the best place to stay. It' the first lodge to be built there back in the day when only the wealthy traveled. Very rustic, Native American turn of the century lodge feel. Has a grand dinning room, great food and cocktails. I think it's the only hotel with WiFi and AC if it gets hot. It's also in the prime location walking distance to most of the falls and hiking trails. Even if you cannot afford it, still a great place for a nice meal or drink outside on the patio.

There is also an area within walking distance called Base Camp. Much more affordable accommodation, some decent indoor eating places they just built a coupe years ago. The lode there is pretty basic, rooms look like they have not been remolded since the 70's.

Make sure you bring lots of proper gear like at least some decent hiking shoes or boots, shorts, bathing suit etc. It's still nature and it can be dangerous if you are hiking so be careful, people die there every year taking risking chance going off the trials high up by slippery rocks from the waterfalls. It's very rare because of the amount of people but at night it's not unusual for a bear (the real kind) to come wandering into the camp ground looking for food. Don't store anything in your car overnight that smells, including things like sun tan lotion. They can rip a car open like a tin can. Then they have to kill the bear.

My final tip is get out and definitely do some of the waterfall hikes. Dont just hang out in the lodge or camp. If you plan to drive around there is a great look out at the top of the canyon that shows you the whole valley including several waterfalls, it's called Glacier Point. It's worth the trip.

by Anonymousreply 8October 27, 2020 10:17 AM

It's still gorgeous. It's best to go after a snowy winter to see the falls, which are spectacular. Make the sure the road to Glacier Point is open, because that has one of the best vantage points in the park. Early to mid May is a good time to go. Definitely do the hike up to Vernal and Nevada Falls; it's not that hard and it's gorgeous. Check out some of the giant sequoia hikes, which are easy and beautiful. If you stay a motel just outside the park you'll save a lot of money. Don't feed the bears, not even the ones cruising the men's rooms.

by Anonymousreply 9October 27, 2020 11:04 AM

DR is correct. If you go in April, expect a lot of snow cover everywhere. It is beautiful, but might not be what you expected.

by Anonymousreply 10October 27, 2020 11:09 AM

By all means, make your initial entrance via the Western tunnel

by Anonymousreply 11October 27, 2020 11:21 AM

Vernal Falls is really easy, carved steps for god's sake.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12October 27, 2020 11:23 AM

This is what I mean about being careful, some trails like this one are right up against a cliff and 300 foot drop if you slip. And the "steps" can be wet so pay attention.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 13October 27, 2020 11:32 AM

If you are really adventurous, you can hike up the back of Half Dome.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 14October 27, 2020 11:34 AM

Almost every day of summer you can spot pro rock climbers on El Capitan. It's one solid piece of granite with an almost vertical face.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 15October 27, 2020 11:38 AM

It's pronounced "Jellystone", OP.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 16October 27, 2020 11:45 AM

@r15, that picture gave me a burst of sweat in my palms. I'd love to visit Yosemite, but it would have to be from the ground looking up

by Anonymousreply 17October 27, 2020 12:06 PM

R15, hey, that guy is using ropes and climbing gear! Cheater.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 18October 27, 2020 3:33 PM

One of the most gorgeous places I have ever been to. I will never forget entering the valley after hours of driving past trees. I was gobsmacked at the beauty.

My BF and I were hiking and talking so much we didn't pay attention to which trail we were on and ended up hiking for MILES. I could barely walk the next day.

by Anonymousreply 19October 27, 2020 4:14 PM

Its beautiful. Rent one of the tent cabins in the canyon if you're going to stay for a few days. But if you bring food, keep it in a cooler and hoist it up off the ground in the evening.

by Anonymousreply 20October 27, 2020 5:32 PM

It's quite nice in winter -- fewer tourists. I believe they are currently running the park at half-capacity due to covid, so reservations to get into the park are tight.

The Ahwahnee is normally a great place to get a drink from the bar and sit at the lounge by the fireplace. Dunno how that is working out during covid. Prices to stay there are steep -- the Obamas and royalty have stayed there. It reminds me a bit of the Shining hotel actually.

by Anonymousreply 21October 27, 2020 5:35 PM

You have to book the Ahwahnee a year in advance.

It's worth it if you have the money.

If you don't, at least go in for a drink.

by Anonymousreply 22October 27, 2020 5:36 PM

The Ahwahnee during winter.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 23October 27, 2020 7:03 PM

It's haunted!!!!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 24October 27, 2020 7:04 PM

[quote]My BF and I were hiking and talking so much we didn't pay attention to which trail we were on and ended up hiking for MILES. I could barely walk the next day.

Was that from the hike or from the pounding your BF gave you that night?

by Anonymousreply 25October 27, 2020 7:12 PM

@r18, there go my sweaty palms again :(

by Anonymousreply 26October 27, 2020 7:24 PM

I've only been there in September. It was beautiful, and happened to be very hot (90s). Waterfalls were not great but other than that it was amazing. I would urge you to go, it's like nothing else.

I stayed at Housekeeping Camp, it's cool, if you don't mind semi-tent camping (solid walls, heavy canvas roof), which I don't. It's right on the river, waking up to that was really nice. But it's like a campground, though somewhat nicer. You can stay at other hotels, Yosemite Lodge, for ex., or Curry Village. I was only there 3 days so saw the major things, Had Sunday brunch at the Ahwahnee, well worth it.

by Anonymousreply 27October 27, 2020 7:46 PM

Now I want to go there again! But I still say if you want a bugless, bearless (?), and quiet stay, rent a property in the upper valley, 20 min. from Base Camp. Our place was reasonable and all the comforts. I remember the full moon as we toured the valley by car with the roof open. Had lunch at Ahwahnee. Very old school--I think you have to wear a jacket.

by Anonymousreply 28October 27, 2020 9:22 PM

I've been there about 200 million times over the years, and FYI even though the main valley is incredibly over-touristed, it's still stunning! Prime tourist season is probably May-September, with May-July being the peak months as that's when the waterfalls look the best. March and April might be pleasantly springy or the muddy end of winter, it's hard to predict.

My favorite parts of the park are the High Country, up by Tuolumne Meadows and the mountains around it. But those areas are only open in summer, at 10,000 feet above sea level there's a very short visiting season.

by Anonymousreply 29October 28, 2020 12:01 AM

Your guide, varmint.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 30October 28, 2020 12:19 AM

I wanna go!

by Anonymousreply 31October 28, 2020 12:31 AM

Very worth it but very crowded -- the valley can feel like a more rustic version of Disneyland. But all the languages you hear spoken by your fellow tourists tells you that people flew from half a globe away to be where you are now. Unlike Disneyland, it wasn't made with your safety in mind. In 2011 alone, 17 people died there. Stay on the trial and stay hydrated.

by Anonymousreply 32October 28, 2020 12:39 AM

I think everyone should see Yosemite Valley at least once. I believe a first-time visit to Yosemite should be when the waterfalls are flowing strongly, which is late spring. May is probably the ideal month for that purpose, and weekdays are better than the weekends. Memorial Day weekend, however, is probably the most crowded of the entire year, so avoid that weekend. The week before it is good, though also somewhat crowded.

The drawback of May is that not all park roads might be open, particularly the high country roads such as Glacier Point Road and Tioga Road. Tioga Road is also a spectacular drive, different from Yosemite Valley, and well worth a whole day in itself for that road, if it is open. But Tioga Road gets better later in the summer, as the snow melts and more of the high-elevation landscape is accessible. If Glacier Point Road is open when you are there, by all means drive up there and see the views from Glacier Point and Washburn Point.

If you stay in one of the tent cabins, you have to use the bear-proof locker outside to store your food. A bear can easily rip open a cooler or even a car. You could be fined for having food in your car, if there is an incident.

Yosemite Valley Lodge and the Ahwahnee are the only two hotels within Yosemite Valley itself, and both are expensive and book months in advance. There are a few cabins too, plus the tents in Curry Village and Housekeeping Camp. There is also the Wawona Hotel, but it is about an hour from Yosemite Valley, so that would mean a lot of extra driving each day.

Even if you don't stay at the Ahwahnee, go inside it anyway to see the architecture, have a drink at the bar or maybe eat lunch on the outdoor patio outside the bar. I don't know what the current serving restrictions are, or will be in the spring.

Only use the web site travelyosemite dot com for reservations of any accommodations within the park. Aramark is the current concession operator, and that is their web site. Don't use any third party site or other web site, if you are staying inside the park.

You can stay in cheaper accommodations in the gateway towns surrounding the park, such as El Portal, Groveland or Oakhurst. (In summer, Lee Vining is also a gateway town outside upper east part of the park.) Of these towns I would choose El Portal, as it is the closest to Yosemite Valley. For reservations in those towns, use the hotel or motel's own web site, or call the motel directly. Don't use a third-party booking site.

There are also some privately owned cabins and condos in a couple of areas which are inside the park boundaries, which you can rent if you want. They are in the Yosemite West development (30 minutes from Yosemite Valley) and in Wawona (1 hour from the valley).

by Anonymousreply 33October 28, 2020 5:25 AM

The hike to the top of Half Dome is an all-day undertaking, very long, steep and strenuous. A permit is now required for the final part (the cables). An alternative to hiking Half Dome is the hike to the top of Sentinel Dome, which is much shorter, safer and easier. You drive most of the way to it - the parking lot is off of Glacier Point Road.

There are plenty of easy hikes that don't involve steep climbs or scary dropoffs. See yosemitehikes dot com for a comprehensive guide to hikes.

It's possible to see most of the famous sights and views without doing any hiking at all. They have done a good job of making the park accessible. I took my Mom there twice, in her wheelchair, at the ages of 89 and 91. So don't stress too much over hiking. Choose the walks and hikes that are right for you.

Nomally, the entrances to the park are open 24 hours a day, every day of the year. Right now, because of restrictions due to COVID, a reservation is required to enter the park. See the park's web site, nps dot gov / yose for current conditions.

The entrance fee is $35 per car, and you get a receipt that is good for one week. If you have the America the Beautiful pass, that also gets you in. That pass is $80 per year and it covers the entrance fee to about 2,000 federally managed parks, monuments and other facilities. It's a great deal if you travel a lot to these places.

For additional tips and suggestions read the "Top Questions" at the right side of this page linked below. The questions only show up on the full desktop view of the site, not on the mobile view.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 34October 28, 2020 5:25 AM

If you can you should get out of the valley and into the wilderness. If you have several days to spare you can get a hiking wilderness permit and hike past the falls to the campground near Half Dome. Climb Half Dome then head out into the wilderness section. You can hike to Tuolumne Meadows and then catch a shuttle bus back to the Valley. If you just stay in the Valley then it can seem like a stressful tourist trap instead of an opportunity to be in nature.

by Anonymousreply 35October 28, 2020 5:36 AM

Are the tent-cabins still unheated?

If I make one of my off-season trips to Yosemite Valley, I usually stay at one of the hotels in El Portal. They're ordinary and very overpriced, but hey! They're less than an hour from the park, and they offer beds and heaters!

by Anonymousreply 36October 28, 2020 5:43 AM

R36, the last winter I was at Curry Village in Yosemite, the tent-cabins have a heater.

There are some very nice places to stay just outside the park. I liked the Evergreen Yosemite Hotel just outside of Groveland, near the Hetch-Hetchy Dam. Still about an hour drive to Yosemite Valley though.

by Anonymousreply 37October 28, 2020 5:51 AM

A lot of people have gone missing in yosemite, the place is full of UFOs.

by Anonymousreply 38October 28, 2020 5:52 AM

You're thinking of Area 51, which is in Nevada.

by Anonymousreply 39October 28, 2020 6:06 AM

There are both heated tent cabins and unheated tent cabins. In the summer, it doesn't matter which you get, of course.

by Anonymousreply 40October 28, 2020 6:07 AM

[quote] The hike to the top of Half Dome is an all-day undertaking, very long, steep and strenuous.

If you're even remotely scared of heights, it can be quite scary. When I did it years ago, one person froze halfway up and it created quite a logjam of hikers surrounding her who then had to get around her. It's not a hike to be taken lightly.

by Anonymousreply 41October 28, 2020 6:20 AM

I always get it mixed up with Yellowstone.

by Anonymousreply 42October 28, 2020 9:21 AM

I remember that case R24

by Anonymousreply 43October 28, 2020 9:22 AM

r42 So does r16, apparently.

by Anonymousreply 44October 28, 2020 1:35 PM

I see the Ahwahnee has finally installed televisions in their rooms. The hotel received a remodel in 2011, much needed as it was getting run-down.

Yes, the dining room is spectacular, especially at dusk for dinner when you get the full effect of the candlelit chandeliers. They have relaxed the dress code at dinner (I seem to remember jackets being required) but long pants and collared shirts are still required for men. (Don't plan on eating dinner on city-time, they close at 8:30, but do plan on paying city prices.)

It looks like they still allow you to eat in the dining room, but you have to serve yourself?

[quote] The Ahwahnee Dining Room is offering takeout service for breakfast, lunch and dinner. Guests can enjoy their meals in the Dining Room, but there is no tableside service.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 45October 28, 2020 1:59 PM

[quote] Unlike Disneyland, it wasn't made with your safety in mind. In 2011 alone, 17 people died there.

There's an entire book about this subject.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 46October 28, 2020 5:57 PM

I love the Ahwahmee, not that I've ever stayed there.

But when we were young and broke and spent every possible weekend in the mountains, we'd go camp there in the winter, and early spring, and of course our little tents would be freezing.. . so we'd spend the evenings hanging around in the warm, luxurious, Ahwanee hotel lobby. They'd put out free coffee and tea and show kiddie films in a large side room, so I spent a few cold mountian nights there drinking tea at the Ahwanee's expense and watching "Willy Winka". I let my friends know that the Ahwanee would tolerate a bit of freeloading and they took advantage too, and they all took advantage too, except for the guys who brought their climbing equipment and were cleaning it in the lobby. They were politely asked to leave.

I really need to stay there before I die, both to celebrate my current prosperity, and because I really owe them a bit of money.

by Anonymousreply 47October 28, 2020 7:10 PM

The Panorama Trail is one of the most beautiful in the park and probably the whole country,

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 48October 28, 2020 11:43 PM

How much does a room at the Ahwanee go for?

by Anonymousreply 49October 28, 2020 11:46 PM

Averaging $478 to $610 for ordinary (non-peak) nights.

by Anonymousreply 50October 29, 2020 12:50 AM

R33/R34 has excellent suggestions.

by Anonymousreply 51October 29, 2020 2:45 AM

Ok my secret location to stay just outside of the park is called Narrow Gauge In. It's only about 30 minutes into the park and you get to go through the tunnel each day. Rustic, woodsy, kind of campy, should be gay but it's not. Very affordable but basic rooms, at least they feel like they belong instead of Motel 6. They are known for the best restaurant in the area, dinners only.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 52October 29, 2020 9:36 AM

^Inn^^

by Anonymousreply 53October 29, 2020 9:36 AM

Another vote for staying at the Ahwahnee.

by Anonymousreply 54October 29, 2020 3:59 PM

Where do you live, OP? In the state, or far away?

by Anonymousreply 55October 29, 2020 4:53 PM

If the main thing you want to do is stay at a nice old hotel that will cost you a lot, stay at the Ahwahnee. But since your main reason to be there is to see the scenery (and you will most likely be tired at night from all the hiking) I wouldn't spend all that money on a hotel (if you have it, which I don't).

by Anonymousreply 56October 29, 2020 4:56 PM

[quote]Rustic, woodsy, kind of campy, should be gay but it's not.

"Campy" or "camp-like?"

by Anonymousreply 57October 29, 2020 6:41 PM

Went in July - Yosemite was so packed, it was like visiting a street fair. Wall-to-wall people. Busloads of Chinese tourists coming in for photo ops. We went back country hiking for four days and even that was crowded.

by Anonymousreply 58October 29, 2020 6:59 PM

OP, others have already said this, but a huge piece is WHEN you go. Hereā€™s the bottom line. If you stay outside the park, it can take as long as an hour and a half every day just to get from your hotel/rental, into the valley. It is true that there are too many people in the valley ā€” BUT, itā€™s still worth seeing it just once in your life!

Also, it depends on how long youā€™ll stay there for. If you have time, then you need to hit the parts outside of the main park valley, like Tuolume Meadows. Everything is very very spread out. Driving from the valley to Glacier Point was I think two hours (my memory could be off?), there was a ton of traffic that we got caught in getting to the top ā€” but STILL worth it!!!

I have fallen so in love with Yosemite that I might even retire in that area. I cannot explain the connection I feel with it ā€” the color palette, the light, the texture, the air......sigh. It is truly heaven on earth. When I was deciding between Yosemite and Yellowstone, more than one person told me hands down Yosemite.

My goal in life is to be there in the spring, I want to see the hills when they are blooming with wildflowers. I could cry just thinking about it.

by Anonymousreply 59October 29, 2020 7:12 PM

I canā€™t afford $610 for an off peak nite. And I donā€™t wanna sleep in a fucking tent or teepee!

by Anonymousreply 60October 29, 2020 7:17 PM

R60, stay at the Yosemite Bug Resort -- just outside the park, reasonable and typical rates, and way better food than inside the park.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 61October 29, 2020 7:26 PM

Jesus, R1. Itā€™s pronounced ā€œYoā€™s Mightā€ not ā€œYo, Semiteā€

by Anonymousreply 62October 29, 2020 7:29 PM

If you're into ghosts, stay at Moore Cottage at the Wawona Hotel (now named Big Trees, I think). It's outside the park but not that far and very reasonable compared to others. I agree that everyone should see Yosemite at least once. It is one of the few parks that truly lives up to its reputation and photos. Three of us were about to go to sleep late at night when the lights around the locked connecting door of the room next to us came on and there was a big racket. We thought probably drunk partiers, but the voices soon calmed down and in the morning there was no one there. The clerk said we were alone in the cottage that night but we all definitely heard the commotion. A few years later I read that In the 1920s a small plane crashed onto the grounds of the hotel and the pilot, alive but seriously injured was taken into Moore Cottage where he died before the doctor could arrive. Over the years, his ghost has been seen all around the resort by many people. You can check it out by googling "ghost" and "Moore Cottage" or "Wawona. Perfect for Halloween.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 63October 29, 2020 7:50 PM

Well, the Ahwhanee has a basic room available for $518 on my birthday in November, and it'd be a stretch but it wouldn't break my bank. At that time of year, the park is probably going to be uncrowded and dry as dust, and I mean the waterfalls are reduced to a trickle or are entirely dry. But the cliffs are stunning, and the sunsets on Half Dome are amazing, and when the crowds go some of the wildlife comes out on the valley floor.

Should I?

by Anonymousreply 64October 29, 2020 8:06 PM

R55 In Chicago. I have a cousin in Sacramento who I'll be visiting and we plan to do this trip together. I'll have a full two weeks off.

Thanks for the suggestions. Keep them coming.

by Anonymousreply 65October 29, 2020 9:08 PM

If you're going to be driving from Sacto, it might be fun to drive over to Highway 49 and go down through the Gold Country.

by Anonymousreply 66October 29, 2020 9:10 PM

Don't take the extra time to drive Hwy 49 at this time of year, everything is dry and brown if not charred.

In the spring it'll be amazing, with green hills lush with wildflowers, but right now it's not worth the extra time.

by Anonymousreply 67October 29, 2020 9:31 PM

R67, I keep hearing spring too, but which weeks specifically would you recommend?

by Anonymousreply 68October 29, 2020 9:34 PM

Visit it sooner rather than later. If Trump wins, he will start letting oil drilling and strip mining in the national parks.

by Anonymousreply 69October 29, 2020 9:42 PM

[quote] When I was deciding between Yosemite and Yellowstone, more than one person told me hands down Yosemite.

Yosemite is more aesthetically stunning than Yellowstone, IMO. It's more compact, with picturesque postcard views of dramatic peaks and waterfalls. It is easier to reach from big cities.

Yellowstone is incredible, too, but it's really in the middle of nowhere and takes more effort to get there -- hence, it is less accessible. It does have an amazing array of wildlife (bears, bison, wolves) and geothermal features (bubbling mud pots and geysers).

by Anonymousreply 70October 29, 2020 9:43 PM

Iā€™m going to fucking Yellowstone!

by Anonymousreply 71October 29, 2020 10:06 PM

Definitely worth seeing, but Spring may not be the time. I would hold off until Covid diminishes.

by Anonymousreply 72October 29, 2020 10:07 PM

Yosemite is one of my Top 5 places in the entire world and I got around a lot as a backpacker in my 20s. Even now, from time to time, my trip to Yosemite will pop into my head and brighten up my day. I do recommend staying in the park. My budget only stretched to Curry Village but it was worth being in the park.

R59 Great post. There are few places I have visited where I had tears in my eyes and this is one of them. The other on US soil was sunrise over the Grand Canyon.

by Anonymousreply 73October 29, 2020 10:40 PM

June is probably a better month to go.

by Anonymousreply 74October 30, 2020 1:46 AM

The Mist Trail in spring.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 75October 30, 2020 1:52 AM

R61, I didnā€™t discover The Bug until the end of my week there, I had three dinners there. The Bug is the ultimate in Euro-hippy granola-California 60ā€™s weirdness, staying there can probably be amazing or scuzzy, just depending on the crowd that week. You really have to be down with the hippies to stay here, which I am, it is super chill, I love it. Sometimes there are lots of kids there, but thereā€™s a super commune vibe going on so people are partying with the kids around (but low-key, itā€™s nothing inappropriate) and I would imagine you could score some delightful drugs there too depending on the guests that week. The dinners I got there were really great, not sure if the quality of their cooking is consistent, but I was quite pleased....

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 76October 30, 2020 3:05 AM

There's also this place, Chateau du Sureau, and its restaurant, Erna's Elderberry House (hopefully no relation to DL's own Erna.) It's is probably the most upscale place within 100 miles of Yosemite (including the Ahwahnee.) It's near the southern entrance to the park (on the road from Fresno.) I had dinner at the restaurant probably 25 years ago and it was incredible.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 77October 30, 2020 3:26 AM

R64, I would choose to go, even if you stay at the Yosemite Lodge, the somewhat cheaper alternative to the Ahwahnee.

The main advantage of going now is that the park should be far less crowded than usual. The COVID pandemic has reduced travel in general. Once that is resolved the park could become crowded again. The park's current reservation requirement (which is supposed to be temporary) also discourages spontaneous visits.

November is not a crowded month anyway, but there is no real off-season any more. You should find the park quiet and peaceful. You'll see a different look to the park than most visitors see, but the fundamental landscape and views neve change.

And yes, wildlife has been more visible this year, as a result of the reduced crowds and reduced car traffic. So that will be another plus. You are likely to see deer at dusk, but any other wildlife sightings will be random and unpredictable.

The disadvantages are that it will likely be pretty chilly, and the famous waterfalls could be just a trickle or possibly even dry. You can see the status of Yosemite Falls in the webcam linked below. On the other hand, if you are very lucky, there could be a rainstorm on the day before your visit. That would temporarily replenish the waterfalls a little bit.

They won't be the torrents they are in the springtime, when they are overwhelmed with snowmelt, but at least you would see some water in them if this happens. Bridalveil Fall tends to have at least some water all year, because the hanging valley above it tends to absorb water like a sponge and release it slowly.

There was a little water in Yosemite Falls when my niece got maried at the Ahwahnee in November 2012. My sister paid $$$$$ for the event and rooms, but I was unable to go because I was taking care of our mother, who couldn't travel. They had a photographer, and the photos clearly show a small flow of water in Yosemite Falls. So it might be possible, depending on weather.

I would spend tine studying the park, especially the features in and around Yosemite Valley, before going there, and have a general game plan of what sights or activities you want to see and do. I would include the free, short movie at the visitor center in Yosemite Village. Also make use of the free shuttle buses that make a loop around the valley floor, rather than driving around. The Cook's Meadow Loop is a short, easy, flat 1-mile walk in the middle of the valley. The Happy Isles area is a water wonderland in the spring; less so in the fall but still a nice walk.

At the far west end of the valley (which you will need to drive to as the shuttle doesn't go to), see the famous Tunnel View (Yosemite Valley Overlook), Bridalveil Fall, which you can walk ti the base of, Ribbon Fall if it is flowing (unlikely in November), the Valley View turnout, and tiny Fern Spring, Yosemite's "smallest waterfall," which is always flowing because it is a spring.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 78October 30, 2020 11:25 AM

Campy R57. As in the restaurant at the Narrow Gauge has wooden bear looking in the window and scattered outside here and there like gnomes.

by Anonymousreply 79October 30, 2020 12:52 PM

Check out Piss Falls in Yosemite

by Anonymousreply 80October 31, 2020 12:24 AM

R76, that describes The Bug pretty well, lol.

by Anonymousreply 81October 31, 2020 12:34 AM

R8, I just checked out the Alwahnee. Were some of The Shining interiors filmed there?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 82October 31, 2020 12:39 AM

The production designers for "The Shining" copied a lot of the Ahwahnee's decor.

by Anonymousreply 83October 31, 2020 1:42 AM

Thanks, R83

R82

by Anonymousreply 84October 31, 2020 1:58 AM

R42, it took about 30 posts in before I figured out the thread's about the park in California...my home state and not the one in Wyoming.

by Anonymousreply 85October 31, 2020 2:03 AM

The interior shots in "The Shining" were filmed at Elstree Studios in Hertfordshire, England.

As R83 states, the production designers or set deaigners used the Ahwahnee as a model for the interior sets of the film.

The hotel exterior shots in "The Shining" were filmed at the exterior of Timberline Lodge on Mt. Hood, Oregon.

Stephen King was inspired to write the book "The Shining" while staying at the Stanley Hotel in Estes Park, Colorado.

All 3 of these grand old hotels are still operating.

by Anonymousreply 86October 31, 2020 5:50 AM

If the election goes the way I hope it will, I'll do my best to reserve a room at Yosemite Lodge for my November birthday, IF I have something to celebrate! And I'll bring a bag of groceries, because I recall in November that the food services are barely operating, and the village store doesn't have anything worth eating.

What's this about reserving entry to the park?

by Anonymousreply 87October 31, 2020 11:39 AM

The park's web site now says that entry reservations will no longer be required starting November 1st.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 88October 31, 2020 3:12 PM

The park's web site now says that entry reservations will no longer be required starting November 1st.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 89October 31, 2020 3:12 PM

I believe the Tioga Pass is now closed until May, so that shuts down the northern portion of the park to through-traffic.

by Anonymousreply 90November 2, 2020 12:17 AM

The close the roads and all the amenities in the high country early in fall, and open them again when the snow melts. A couple of years ago that was in July.

Some nutters still go, but they hike or cross-country ski all the way from lower elevations, to see the Yosemite High Country in winter. Which must be an awesome sight, if you're willing to take the trouble to get there.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 91November 2, 2020 4:15 PM

I'm glad that the park re-changed the names back to the Ahwahnee and Curry Village -- after their naming dispute with Delaware North. The Majestic and Half-Dome Village were lame names.

by Anonymousreply 92November 2, 2020 4:21 PM

I went! I'm here! I hot a room at Yosemite Lodge on one week's notice!!

FYI there was a storm z few days ago, and there's still a few inches of snow on the Valley floor, and the south wall cliffs. There's ice on the roads and a storm predicted for tomorrow night, so I will have to leave tomorrow afternoon before it gets dark and the wet roads freeze. Yosemite Falls is dry, which is typical at this time of year, but Bridalveil Falls is delicately lovely. It's just stunning to see the valley in early winter, with fewer people and snow on the ground. I'm so glad I came!

by Anonymousreply 93November 13, 2020 12:57 AM

Itā€™s full of bugs and dirt and wild animals and tourists, OP. Outside is over-rated.

by Anonymousreply 94November 13, 2020 1:03 AM

The snow-melt is highest in May and the falls are most spectacular then. But the Merced River overflows its banks flooding some meadow areas which breeds gazillions of mosquitos. Itā€™s policy not to spray for them because itā€™s a national park and they donā€™t want to spray poison there. Be sure to bring extra mosquito repellant because youā€™ll use allot itā€”and still come home covered in bites. But Yosemite is beautiful year around.

by Anonymousreply 95November 13, 2020 1:28 AM

So happy for you, R93!

by Anonymousreply 96November 13, 2020 1:29 AM

Look for the pretty eerily-glowing lakes off the main pathways if you're cold or hungry, OP. I understand that those waters can really warm you up and do a great job of cooking up any trussed raw chicken that you may have on hand or happened to bring with you during your visit.

by Anonymousreply 97November 13, 2020 2:52 AM

R97 you must be thinking of Yellowstone.

by Anonymousreply 98November 13, 2020 3:09 AM

The water in Yellowstone doesn't glow.

by Anonymousreply 99November 13, 2020 3:53 AM

R93, I'm glad you enjoyed your trip!

by Anonymousreply 100November 13, 2020 3:54 AM

I'm glad you made it to Yosemite and got to enjoy it at an uncrowded time. The pictures I have been seeing posted the past few days are gorgeous, even without water in the falls. Hopefully you can return sometime in a springtime month when the falls are torrents. Enjoy every moment of this trip though! Maybe drive down and see the Mariposa Grove of giant sequoias, or drive up to Glacier Point if that road is open, or drive the scenic Tioga Road through the high country.

by Anonymousreply 101November 13, 2020 3:58 AM

Roads to Glacier Point and Tioga Pass closed, due to snow with more expected. But I saw someone coming down the Glacier Point trail with a flashlight last night, so I guess anyone who cares to walk up there is welcome to.

Oh, it's so beautiful here with the snow on the ground, although of course it's a beauty best appreciated with plenty of polar fleece and boots that can keep your feet warm when walking over snow and through puddles of slush.

by Anonymousreply 102November 13, 2020 3:46 PM

The trail from the floor of Yosemite Valley up to Glacier Point is called the Four Mile Trail. If I remember correctly it is actually 4.7 miles one way, and the elevation gain is 3,200 feet, so it is very strenuous. Also it's on the south side of the valley so it's in the shade abd thus cold. You might consider doing the hike partway up the Upper Yosemite Falls trail, only as far as Columbia Rock, though, just for the sweeping view of the valley from Columbia Rock.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 103November 13, 2020 5:46 PM

Are the tent cabins open this winter?

by Anonymousreply 104November 23, 2020 10:58 PM

The tent cabins were pretty gross when we stayed there. It wasn't worth it just to be inside the park.

by Anonymousreply 105November 23, 2020 11:18 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!