Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Are you gonna celebrate the holidays this year??

I’m not. This will be the 1st year in my 47 years on the planet I have not put up a Christmas 🎄.

by Anonymousreply 145November 5, 2020 4:18 AM

Alas, no, OP.

I’m very disappointed too. Not having people for thanksgiving and not getting together with my family is going to suck. My mother LOVES Christmas but we can’t go to see her for fear of the unknown.

by Anonymousreply 1October 25, 2020 9:29 PM

NO! This year, the last of my local relatives died and I no longer feel duty bound to carry on holiday traditions for the sake of sentimental old folks. The pandemic is a great excuse to decline invitations and avoid gift exchanges -- cards only as necessary to respond to those received (fewer each year). No shopping, cooking, wrapping (I have a lot of paper, ribbons, bags, and tissue to donate to some worthy charity that serves needy children). I can't wait to stay home and watch recorded non-holiday movies ALL BY MYSELF!

by Anonymousreply 2October 25, 2020 9:32 PM

Me, boyfriend, his Mum - having ourselves a merry little Christmas.

by Anonymousreply 3October 25, 2020 9:33 PM

I've never cared that much about Christmas, so it won't really impact me. My partner and I have never exchanged gifts or any of that.

by Anonymousreply 4October 25, 2020 9:35 PM

Nah. No big deal to me. I'll have a big stash of all my favorite snacks and I'll watch movies and take naps. I told my relatives I won't be there, and I'm totally thrilled to have no obligations.

by Anonymousreply 5October 25, 2020 9:36 PM

I'm sorry, R1 -- I do realize that this year must be hard for people who truly enjoy the traditional celebrations. But for those of us who have felt trapped and burdened much of our lives (over 60 years in my case), this is a genuine blessing. Starting with Thanksgiving!

by Anonymousreply 6October 25, 2020 9:43 PM

I’ll still get together with people, but I’m dialing back on the gifts and shopping, and doing minimal decorating this year.

by Anonymousreply 7October 25, 2020 9:43 PM

For the first time in my 54 years I won’t be seeing my family over Christmas and that makes me sad. However, I haven’t put up a tree or decorated in seven years so plan to full on deck the halls at my house this year. I have the time to do it and enjoy it so am looking forward to it.

No plans for Thanksgiving but if there is any skiing within a 3 hour drive may do that. If not, will play 36 holes of golf.

by Anonymousreply 8October 25, 2020 9:45 PM

Im gonna flash my canned goods

by Anonymousreply 9October 25, 2020 9:49 PM

No thanksgiving. Hopefully a short Christmas brunch with immediate family.

by Anonymousreply 10October 25, 2020 9:51 PM

I'll survive somehow.

by Anonymousreply 11October 25, 2020 10:00 PM

Except you didn’t.

by Anonymousreply 12October 25, 2020 10:03 PM

I a single gay male had been hosting Christmas and Thanksgiving celebrations for many years because I was centrally located and had the most room but after my mother died, I did it one more time and then decided never again. It was the best decision I ever made, too much work and expense for relatives I really didn't care about. So no never again.

by Anonymousreply 13October 25, 2020 10:05 PM

The holidays are just an excuse to spend money.

by Anonymousreply 14October 25, 2020 10:05 PM

Even before Covid, I stopped putting pressure on myself to "celebrate" the holidays. It's liberating.

If you really feel something is missing, I would suggest a wreath.

by Anonymousreply 15October 25, 2020 10:11 PM

I’m gonna play with myself instead.

by Anonymousreply 16October 25, 2020 10:14 PM

Yes to decorating. I went over the top for Halloween and will go above that for Christmas. It’s for my enjoyment.

by Anonymousreply 17October 25, 2020 10:14 PM

For the first time in years I’m putting a tree up; in fact, it’s already up!

For Halloween, around my fireplace, I’m working on a diorama for my Monster High dolls. The first item going into the fireplace itself (which is clean and painted) is my monster disco stage. Then I’ll get to my lounge area and piano bar.

by Anonymousreply 18October 25, 2020 10:20 PM

I'm a hospital nurse, and for the last 10 years I've gotten so sick of Christmas that I've worked that day to get out of the whole taacky commercialized dysfunctional shit. Am carrying on.

Sadly, I don't see how I can celebrate thanksgiving, a holiday that's usually devoted to feasting with good frieinds and being genuinely thankful for everything good in the world. I have patients with COVID, I just can't join gatherings while I do, so I guess it'll be nature trails and Thai takeout and trying to still be genuinely grateful. Although I think most of us have a bit less to be thankful for than last year.

by Anonymousreply 19October 25, 2020 11:34 PM

R19, maybe by Thanksgiving we'll have election results to be thankful for. Hang in there!

by Anonymousreply 20October 25, 2020 11:39 PM

Every Gift, Only GAP!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 21October 26, 2020 12:10 AM

R19,

A) Thank you from the bottom of my heart;

B) I’m very sorry. I can’t change your circumstances and I didn’t cause them, I’m just sorry for them.

by Anonymousreply 22October 26, 2020 12:25 AM

R17, r18, Good for you guys!

Seriously. I sincerely hope you enjoy it.

by Anonymousreply 23October 26, 2020 12:26 AM

[quote] I’m gonna play with myself instead.

What game are you going to play?

by Anonymousreply 24October 26, 2020 12:26 AM

SOLITAIRE ROSE!

by Anonymousreply 25October 26, 2020 12:31 AM

There is nothing for me or anyone in the USA to celebrate this year

by Anonymousreply 26October 26, 2020 12:33 AM

If the election goes well, I will celebrate Christmas and put up a tree. 2020 has been a miserable year, with very little (if anything) to celebrate. But there may be hope for 2021. Fingers crossed!

by Anonymousreply 27October 26, 2020 12:36 AM

Maybe there will be, R26. Nov 3 is a week from this coming Tues -- and as for the Supreme Court, Amy C. Barrett may not fully recover from Covid (many don't).

by Anonymousreply 28October 26, 2020 12:38 AM

I live alone. I usually have Thanksgiving dinner with one of my friends. I have one invitation so far and I declined. I'm only seeing friends in outdoor settings. I fly to California to see my mom for Christmas and New Year's. That won't happen this year. The plan is to make a mini-Thanksgiving meal for myself. I'm looking forward to cooking and making a mess. I'll be okay for Thanksgiving but not going to California is a bummer. I'm anticipating being a little blue that final week of 2020.

by Anonymousreply 29October 26, 2020 12:44 AM

I'm thinking I may just get a really nice poinsettia plant or two. Maybe a garland of lights on the mantle.But no tree this year. I have a nice little artificial tree and that will stay in storage. No one is visiting this year. No point. The basic plants etc. are for me.

by Anonymousreply 30October 26, 2020 12:49 AM

I’ve finished my Xmas shopping already, including the wrapping. That’s the part I really enjoy.

by Anonymousreply 31October 26, 2020 12:50 AM

Show off!

by Anonymousreply 32October 26, 2020 12:54 AM

Thank you, R22!

I must say that although I'm not happy with how my holidays are going, it is almost entirely through my own choice. I've agreed to take the COVID patients, and I am voluntarily avoiding gatherings and frail loved ones, they haven't asked me to stay away.

by Anonymousreply 33October 26, 2020 1:03 AM

LOL @ r25

by Anonymousreply 34October 26, 2020 1:12 AM

R33, at the risk of sounding like a Hallmark TV movie, you're showing the true spirit of Christmas by sacrificing to help others. I hope you know how much the patients and their loved ones appreciate your efforts -- so true that virtue is its own reward, isn't it? I hope you and the other medical workers get some great Xmas cookies too.

by Anonymousreply 35October 26, 2020 1:30 AM

OP did you put up the tree when you were a baby? Are your parents monsters?

by Anonymousreply 36October 26, 2020 1:32 AM

I’m going to get a small tree at Whole Foods as I did last year. It was perfect for the table.

I’m going to do some cooking and otherwise relax and watch A Christmas Carol.

by Anonymousreply 37October 26, 2020 1:36 AM

First tree ever...maybe this year. Recommendation for a cat-proof tree? I'm thinking of one that hangs from the ceiling.

by Anonymousreply 38October 27, 2020 3:12 PM

All I feel when I think about the holidays is dread. Even shopping online doesn't seem fun right now.

by Anonymousreply 39October 27, 2020 3:33 PM

This is my favorite Gap holidays commercial, r21 -- Holiday in Your Hood.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 40October 27, 2020 3:48 PM

I’m with you, r39. I really am.

by Anonymousreply 41October 27, 2020 4:05 PM

Absolutely not. No interest whatsoever.

by Anonymousreply 42October 27, 2020 4:11 PM

My mom has already declared we're not having a family Thanksgiving or Christmas -- thank goodness. None of my siblings or their children have altered their lives on iota in response to the pandemic.

I typically put up my tree and decorations the second or third week of December but I'm planning to do it Thanksgiving weekend this year. No one's going to see it but me but it will brighten the days.

by Anonymousreply 43October 27, 2020 4:20 PM

If you post pics, r43, we’ll all see it.

I know I could use it.

by Anonymousreply 44October 27, 2020 5:17 PM

I plan to scale way back on Xmas decorating; no guests to see it, so why bother? We'll probably still put up a tree, because I genuinely enjoy that.

No idea what to do about Thanksgiving. We usually host my Mom plus one or two other relatives. We might just have my mother over, or take food to her house. I'd rather not do anything, but I'm afraid that if I don't, she'll go to her brother's house and he'll have a ton of people there.

by Anonymousreply 45October 27, 2020 5:25 PM

R38, if you have a chandelier, hang the ornaments off that. I have a big chandelier and I think that’s what I’m going to have to do.

Last year, I had a kitten and it was impossible to have a tree. I took out some fake garland and she thought it was a real tree branch and started gnawing on it. I was afraid she’d hurt her mouth, so no fake tree. I ended up getting a real wreath and hung it near the floor on a stand, so she could smell it and chew on it a bit.

This year, she’s a little bit bigger, and I have a fake blue tree, so hopefully if I put that up, she’ll understand it’s not a real tree. I prefer the green, but I don’t know what would happen. I thought last year, even if I can just have a fake green tree with lights only, it would be pretty, but she just didn’t understand not to try to eat it.

I’d really like to do all the decorations, including a lot of fragile glass ornaments, so I guess they go on the chandelier. I also put some on the shelves in the hutch, she doesn’t care about that, thank god.

by Anonymousreply 46October 27, 2020 5:29 PM

[quote] if you have a chandelier, hang the ornaments off that.

That’s just going to get in the way when I’m swinging from it in the bedroom.

by Anonymousreply 47October 27, 2020 5:31 PM

Then for you, R47, there’s always decorating the mantle.

by Anonymousreply 48October 27, 2020 5:32 PM

If I can continue to avoid “holidays” I will gladly do so. The only benefit of this year has been the lack of forced get togethers.

by Anonymousreply 49October 27, 2020 5:39 PM

Yes with the people in my bubble. We will get together for Thanksgiving and Christmas. Everyone is still working from home and most of our families are in distant places. There will just before of us. It should be nice. Frankly they should be very little stress related to it

by Anonymousreply 50October 27, 2020 6:31 PM

We’ll definitely have a tree, but we bought electric scooters as an early gift to each other so that’s it for presents.

The celebration will just be us and my 81 year old mother, most likely. We live in NYC and have all been inside away from others since March, apart from visiting one another and unavoidable trips to the supermarket or doctor. A little sad and definitely strange. Hopefully next year will be much better.

by Anonymousreply 51October 27, 2020 7:14 PM

Our large family celebration (40+ people) was cancelled. My sister invited me over for a small brunch (her kids & their families) but I'm not sure if I'll go. I'll still decorate my place a little bit, though, even though it's just me.

She also invited me over for Thanksgiving, but unless we can meet at a park or something, I'll probably pass on that.

by Anonymousreply 52October 27, 2020 7:34 PM

Anyone planning to zoom with when and about?

by Anonymousreply 53October 27, 2020 7:37 PM

I have only had a Christmas tree once in adulthood, sometime in the early '90s. I so hated cleaning up after it—those damned needles lay underfoot for months—I said "never again," and stuck to it. I had these Magneplanar speakers, and decorated them with blue lights until I bought more standard speakers.

I'm having Thanksgiving with friends at a restaurant, as we have been doing the last three or four years. I don't plan to do anything for Christmas. Maybe I'll make some kind of pasta alla bolognese.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 54October 27, 2020 7:58 PM

I have a feeling that Zoom, and similar programs, are going to crash on Christmas. Too many people will be setting up for family events.

by Anonymousreply 55October 27, 2020 8:02 PM

As every year. Have dinner then go to sleep.

by Anonymousreply 56October 27, 2020 8:25 PM

Celebrating with my husband at home. Looking forward to it. This year has been awful.

by Anonymousreply 57October 27, 2020 8:36 PM

[quote] but we bought electric scooters as an early gift to each other

You kids and your euphemisms. In my day we just called them dildos.

by Anonymousreply 58October 27, 2020 8:37 PM

I associate Zoom with work. Endless, endless Zoom meetings this year. It's the last thing I want to do on my off days.

by Anonymousreply 59October 27, 2020 8:49 PM

"Recommendation for a cat-proof tree? "

Hang your ornaments on a wreath. One that's way high on the wall.

by Anonymousreply 60October 27, 2020 10:06 PM

I don’t have any tears left to cry.

by Anonymousreply 61October 27, 2020 10:35 PM

I honestly do not know what we are doing. If things continue down the current path - I am reluctant to expose my parents. I may go for a social distancing visit only to exchange gifts only. My husband and I both work a lot of hours with lots of potential for exposure. We will celebrate together.

by Anonymousreply 62October 27, 2020 10:40 PM

Hugs to R61.

I look at it a different way. I’m just watching the universe trying to destroy life on earth in a limited space of time with wonder. How many more disastrous things can happen in one year?

Flying Star Feng Shui is a sort of Chinese astrology, in a way. They predicted for 2020 that health issues would be a big concern, and that there would be some really drastic events that would change things. And here we are. Chinese New Year is on February 12, 2021.

Chinese New Year in 2020 was January 25. The first known U.S. Covid case was January 20, 2020.

Hang in there just a little bit longer.

by Anonymousreply 63October 27, 2020 10:42 PM

I fully expect the rapture to happen soon.

by Anonymousreply 64October 27, 2020 10:56 PM

Nope. I'm without family and really don't know anyone where I live that I'm close enough with to share holidays.

by Anonymousreply 65October 27, 2020 11:05 PM

[quote] My husband and I both work a lot of hours with lots of potential for exposure.

I’ve said this before, but it bears repeating:

We miss each other now so when we can get back together no one is missing.

by Anonymousreply 66October 27, 2020 11:17 PM

So, R63, what does Super Duper Feng Shui say about 2021?

by Anonymousreply 67October 28, 2020 1:28 AM

I'm hanging lights on my porch and inside on my mantle. That's about it.

by Anonymousreply 68October 28, 2020 1:33 AM

NO. I WILL JUST WANK OFF IN THE DARK. ALONE. BOTH HOLIDAYS.

by Anonymousreply 69October 28, 2020 1:37 AM

For R67:

The year of the Metal Ox, 2021 will be a time for emotional and spiritual as well as economical reconstruction. In other words, the destruction caused by the flu in 2020, various conflicts, misunderstandings, as well as the general economic crisis will be the starting point for a new vision regarding the development and technological evolution of the world economy based on new, more viable criteria.

In the Chinese zodiac, among the 12 zodiac symbols, Ox is the second, after Rat (2020 was the Rat). That is why it is considered by Chinese astrologers as the owner of the year of reconstruction, after starting a new 12-year cycle.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 70October 28, 2020 4:35 AM

Something to look forward to, R70!

by Anonymousreply 71October 28, 2020 6:01 AM

No. My husband died two weeks ago and the pandemic keeps people away. My only celebration is streaming hipster holiday tunes on internet radio

by Anonymousreply 72October 28, 2020 6:04 AM

Just have a virtual get together over the internet. You will be glad when you can turn off your annoying relatives.

by Anonymousreply 73October 28, 2020 6:10 AM

Absolutely. By myself, but I'm definitely doing it. Tree, and all.

by Anonymousreply 74October 28, 2020 6:14 AM

Sorry r72. We're stopping by virtually.

by Anonymousreply 75October 28, 2020 6:46 AM

I'll probably buy a small xmas tree and some simple decorations. It's too depressing not too.

by Anonymousreply 76October 28, 2020 8:12 AM

Yes we are celebrating. I'll be making Beet Wellington for friends and family, serving fabulous wine that I've set aside for the holidays and having some fun karaoke sessions. I look forward to hosting the holidays all year long.

by Anonymousreply 77October 28, 2020 8:33 AM

[quote]the destruction caused by the flu in 2020

The flu? Are you referring to the The Chinese Flu aka The WuFlu?

by Anonymousreply 78October 28, 2020 11:23 AM

Absolutely. The only thing to look forward to this year. Switching over to Christmas music Sunday at midnight. Will have Christmas Vacation, Elf and Home Alone on repeat. Decking the halls. No family drama, especially with immediate family which is all I will be seeing this year.

by Anonymousreply 79October 28, 2020 11:48 AM

Bitch, if you're going to condemn us to suffer and die drowning in sludgy lung fluids, you'd better serve something better than Beet Wellington!

by Anonymousreply 80October 28, 2020 11:56 AM

[quote]Switching over to Christmas music Sunday at midnight

[italic]This[/italic] Sunday? November 1st? Slow your roll there, Hallmark Channel. Let’s not get carried away. Life isn’t a Macy’s commercial.

by Anonymousreply 81October 28, 2020 12:01 PM

R77, that sounds lovely! It sounds vegan! If so, would you consider bringing it to the Solstice celebration on the land? That is, of course, if you're a wummin.

by Anonymousreply 82October 28, 2020 12:03 PM

R81, there have been people celebrating Christmas since March to battle the depression of Covid and sheltering in place. November 1st is nothing to gawk at. Johnny Mathis will pacify me until New Years.

by Anonymousreply 83October 28, 2020 12:07 PM

full on deck the halls at my house this year. I have the time to do it and enjoy it so am looking forward to it.

Another vote for Decking the Halls to the max - and why not? I already have lights and I'm home all the time. Plus, I think Christmas lights - no matter how you feel about Christmas - brings cheer to a dark time, literally & figuratively.

I plan to get small gifts purchased from local stores (I'd like to buy books from a bookstore rather than Amazon, but there *are*no book stores anymore where I live) for immediate family and give money to churches & soup kitchens.

Despite my apprehension, I fully expect that we will be celebrating the holidays with a new president elect & that will at least bring some hope

by Anonymousreply 84October 28, 2020 12:07 PM

[quote][R81], there have been people celebrating Christmas since March to battle the depression of Covid and sheltering in place

What? WTF are you talking about? Anyone who started celebrating Christmas last March has a screw loose.

by Anonymousreply 85October 28, 2020 5:01 PM

Isn't a little too early for putting up a Christmas 🎄?

by Anonymousreply 86October 28, 2020 5:06 PM

Anyone who started celebrating Christmas last March has a screw loose.

I'll be the Christmas Mouse would fully endorse celebrating Christmas all year around....

by Anonymousreply 87October 28, 2020 5:24 PM

Normally I'd say that anyone who celebrates Christmas before Thanksgiving has a whole case of screws loose, but not this year. Too many people have been through too much bad this this year, if they can find ways of coping that don't involve substance abuse or rioting then good for them.

by Anonymousreply 88October 28, 2020 7:43 PM

Only with my parents. We have some Trump supporters in the family. It's caused fights. We've had a pleasant family texting group that was active and rather nice. After the first debate when Trump showed his ass, words were said and feelings were hurt. Now communication has broken down based on party affiliation. I'm not even talking to my brother and sister in law. I said some things and I'd do it again, fuck them.

So no big family gatherings for our family OP. Everyone's retreated to their corners and pulled up the draw bridges. I can live with or without my family so I am just fine with holding out for them to stop supporting racism, homophobia, and clasism.

by Anonymousreply 89October 28, 2020 7:51 PM

I can't wait to celebrate the defeat of: the Straw-topped Turkey Vulture at Thanksgiving; the Sharting Golem at Chanukah; and the Orange Grinch for Christmas! Some of us will be alone, but you can't stay still while the world is dancing.

Happy Holidays ahead. Count Your Blessings and Carry On.

by Anonymousreply 90October 28, 2020 8:37 PM

[quote] This Sunday? November 1st? Slow your roll there, Hallmark Channel. Let’s not get carried away. Life isn’t a Macy’s commercial.

😂😂😂😂😂

by Anonymousreply 91October 28, 2020 10:32 PM

I wonder what will happen with mall Santas? Will there be any? If so, will parents take their kids?

Will be going to my brother and SIL's house for the holidays, they live close so I can walk there and back home easily. Have to remember to bring my backpack for some leftovers.

No decorations for me, just can't get into it.

by Anonymousreply 92October 28, 2020 10:41 PM

R77 does Beet Wellington go well with Tofurkey?

by Anonymousreply 93October 28, 2020 10:47 PM

r92 Macy's cancelled theirs

by Anonymousreply 94October 28, 2020 11:06 PM

I care nothing for celebrating Christmas, but I love the decorations — so this year, too, I will put up my tree, special Christmas pillows, and simply make it as cozy as one can bear. It‘s lovely.

by Anonymousreply 95October 28, 2020 11:21 PM

R85, there were lots of stories of people putting their Christmas, excuse me, holiday decorations back up when the quarantine began to lift their spirits.

by Anonymousreply 96October 28, 2020 11:59 PM

I seem to recall being told that only idiots mention astrology. I guess those trolls not on this thread? Or somehow Chinese astrology is more acceptable because your asses are ignorant about it?

Way to be douches.

by Anonymousreply 97October 29, 2020 12:09 AM

Beet Wellington! Just shoot yourself.

by Anonymousreply 98October 29, 2020 12:22 AM

Every year, I try to add a song or two to my Christmas playlist. I used to hate Christmas music, but a musician friend said he loves it, that he wished it were played all year-round. So, I reevaluated my feelings and download whatever I like. It's very cheerful and festive.

by Anonymousreply 99October 29, 2020 4:07 AM

No, but I didn't like (or celebrate) them before either.

by Anonymousreply 100October 29, 2020 4:11 AM

[quote] I plan to get small gifts purchased from local stores (I'd like to buy books from a bookstore rather than Amazon, but there *are*no book stores anymore where I live) for immediate family and give money to churches & soup kitchens.

R84, if you start early enough, you can order from independent bookstores anywhere. At the link is a site listing some in every state -- it may not be current and it's not exhaustive*, but it's a start. We don't have to accept Amazon by default!

*For example, it doesn't include the excellent children's bookstore in San Jose, Calif called "Hicklebee's", which also carries some books for all ages and is happy to handle special orders for whatever it doesn't have.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 101October 29, 2020 1:19 PM

[quote]Only with my parents. We have some Trump supporters in the family. It's caused fights. We've had a pleasant family texting group that was active and rather nice. After the first debate when Trump showed his ass, words were said and feelings were hurt. Now communication has broken down based on party affiliation. I'm not even talking to my brother and sister in law. I said some things and I'd do it again, fuck them.

R89, we have a rule in our family that when we get together, it's a NO POLITICS zone. We have Democrats, we have Republicans, we have Libertarians, so everybody has agreed to not discuss politics when we get together for holidays and such.

by Anonymousreply 102October 29, 2020 1:42 PM

R97, I’m the Chinese astrology poster. I don’t believe in it generally, but a few years ago I had a roommate that bought a bunch of books about it so I read one or two.

A couple of years ago, it said for people with my birthdate to avoid having fights with family members and I could have legal problems and family problems. That year, months after I forgot about it, I had legal problems and family problems. I wasn’t trying to fight with anyone, they started something with me and I needed a lawyer to defend myself. I ended up going no contact with family members. I literally was actively avoiding family members, but they dragged me in anyway.

Now I’m afraid to look.

by Anonymousreply 103October 29, 2020 2:09 PM

I looked into it after reading your other post, R103. I'm an Ox and 2021 is the year of the OX as well. Not good news for me.

by Anonymousreply 104October 29, 2020 2:12 PM

What about boars, R104 and R103?

by Anonymousreply 105October 29, 2020 2:31 PM

I think you will have a good year, R105.

by Anonymousreply 106October 29, 2020 2:32 PM

R105, usually when it’s the year of your animal, it’s not a good year. This is the year of my animal, and it’s been shit. Next year is supposed to be better, for me and also in general.

by Anonymousreply 107October 29, 2020 2:46 PM

Thanks, R106 -- I could sure use one! So could everyone else, I know, and I hope they do (except for Trump).

by Anonymousreply 108October 29, 2020 2:52 PM

[R84], if you start early enough, you can order from independent bookstores anywhere. At the link is a site listing some in every state -- it may not be current and it's not exhaustive*, but it's a start. We don't have to accept Amazon by default!

Thanks R101; I will definitely do that!

by Anonymousreply 109October 29, 2020 3:30 PM

I have big balls:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 110October 29, 2020 5:22 PM

The best we can. I don’t know how Thanksgiving is going to go but maybe the third wave will have gone down by Christmas. Please guide

by Anonymousreply 111October 29, 2020 5:26 PM

^God 🤣

by Anonymousreply 112October 29, 2020 5:26 PM

My husband and I have been recognized in our city for many years as the people with "that house"... the big, red mansion always spectacularly decorated with a meticulously planned and executed display of lights and a colossal, natural tree in the windows, a breathtaking showcase that stops most traffic and passersby. But not this year.

My husband's mom (who was as much a "real" mom to me as well) died tragically after a year ago after a long illness, and so he and I didn't celebrate the holidays last year, either. It was the first year we completely didn't acknowledge any of it. And with the pandemic having wrecked our finances this year, it seems a waste of money to pay that kind of electricity bill for now. So, I won't be putting up a tree or anything else, but I'll be traveling for the first time since last February. Going hiking in the Peruvian Andes.

by Anonymousreply 113October 29, 2020 5:42 PM

R113, I was going to tease you and say you’re not-so-humble bragging, but your story just broke my heart so I can’t even tease.

Jeez, you’re ruining it for everyone now.

by Anonymousreply 114October 29, 2020 10:11 PM

R110, call me Mary! all you want, but I love that pillow.

Oh, and nice balls.

by Anonymousreply 115October 29, 2020 10:12 PM

I’m not putting up a tree this year. My friends have social distanced from me so fuck it.

by Anonymousreply 116October 29, 2020 10:14 PM

For you r115:

by Anonymousreply 117October 29, 2020 10:52 PM

Oops. Here’s the link:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 118October 29, 2020 10:53 PM

beet wellington? You really mean beet, or was a typo?

by Anonymousreply 119October 29, 2020 11:15 PM

Thank you, r118!

That’s a great selection. Out of deference to you, I won’t buy the same one as yours. You know, it’s like us wearing the same dress to a soirée.

by Anonymousreply 120October 29, 2020 11:38 PM

[quote] I’m not putting up a tree this year. My friends have social distanced from me so fuck it.

Your friends are probably social distancing from everybody, so hope you don't feel so bad.

by Anonymousreply 121October 30, 2020 12:14 AM

Yeah, R116 -- the pandemic ain't all about you, you know.

by Anonymousreply 122October 30, 2020 12:44 AM

Fuck 'em all. I've had enough with the Dump supporters in my life. 2019 & 2018 were enough. I've heard the conspiracy theories for 2 years now. If these people think I'm holding another holiday for them to spout that bullshit they're way too wrong.

by Anonymousreply 123October 30, 2020 5:16 AM

As you wish, r120!

by Anonymousreply 124October 30, 2020 5:54 AM

My husband and I have been recognized in our city for many years as the people with "that house"... the big, red mansion always spectacularly decorated with a meticulously planned and executed display of lights and a colossal, natural tree in the windows, a breathtaking showcase that stops most traffic and passersby. But not this year.

That's sad R113, I'll bet your house brings a lot of joy to people in your community. I get the electric bill thing - but my hometown has homes your like yours & I love seeing their decorations every year.

by Anonymousreply 125October 30, 2020 9:00 AM

Visit with my parents.

Dinner with friend out, maybe.

by Anonymousreply 126November 2, 2020 2:33 PM

Gratitude list entry, 11/2/20: "I don't live anywhere near r125." The only thing that could be more annoying is if she has music accompanying her "meticulously planned and executed display of lights."

by Anonymousreply 127November 2, 2020 2:38 PM

I've lived alone for 15 years, and I've never put up a Christmas tree or Christmas decorations. I've always thought it was a waste of money and time.

And now, with COVID, I have a perfect excuse to not only continue my tradition of non-decoration, but to avoid going home to my family over the holidays, too. "Oh, so sorry. Not this year. Don't wanna fly and risk getting any of you sick when I get there. Merry Christmas! Air kisses!"

by Anonymousreply 128November 2, 2020 2:39 PM

R113, you can still do a lot of nice decorating without the electricity.

A few years back, my dad was admitted to the hospital shortly after thanksgiving. He was in a coma all through December and died the day after Christmas. You can imagine how awful the holiday season was. I would go to the hospice a few hours each day, although he probably didn’t know I was there, then go home. My other family wouldn’t go, so I went alone. I’m the one that does the decorating.

After a couple of weeks of this, I ended up pulling out the decorations and doing the fake tree. I didn’t do everything, but I did enough so the house was pretty. That was something I could do and it made me feel better. It separated the bad things going on outside for the refuge of home.

Since then I’ve had a couple of other stressful, bad Christmases, and I put up the tree and decorated. Decorating is free, it’s one thing we can do that doesn’t require having a bunch of company, that’s for ourselves. If your usual decorations are all lights, this year try something simpler. Put a wreath on the door, put the lawn decorations out. We’ve got nothing going for us now but our grit and determination to get through this as best we can. And grit is free.

Also, LED lights are much more economical. You can get cheap ones at Big Lots or Target. Big Lots has been my family’s “poor Christmas” friend since I was a kid. I’ve gotten a lot of nice Christmas things there over the years. At least get a couple LED strings for the tree, it doesn’t take a lot. If you put the tree in the front window, people can see it.

by Anonymousreply 129November 2, 2020 2:49 PM

R129, are you married?

by Anonymousreply 130November 2, 2020 3:46 PM

Yes! Thanksgiving, Christmas and New Years! Just at home instead of with my parents and at my favorite club.

by Anonymousreply 131November 2, 2020 3:58 PM

I am, come hell or high water. Last year I had some mental health issues & we threw in the towel on a lot of our traditions. One tradition I've followed since I was a kid is decorating for Christmas on Black Friday. Have done that for 30+ years, but didn't get to it last year. Got very sick that day with a high fever & we ended up not decorating until the week before Christmas. It was not the best holiday season.

This year I told my partner we need to plan ahead and stick to our traditions. They make us so happy, & I know we need all the joy & fun we can get.

by Anonymousreply 132November 2, 2020 4:43 PM

Yes to decorating - I want all the Christmas shit to stay up until this COVID crap is over. Or we can have a Halloween 2 or something.

We've got to double or triple up on these holidays to keep up the cheer. Just the decorations though - no people events.

by Anonymousreply 133November 2, 2020 4:46 PM

[quote] Just at home instead of with my parents and at my favorite club.

Paddles?

by Anonymousreply 134November 3, 2020 12:35 PM

OP, your post makes me sad. I hope you reconsider!

by Anonymousreply 135November 3, 2020 2:03 PM

[quote] Just at home instead of with my parents and at my favorite club.

[quote]Paddles?

You know if he’s living with his parents it must be the bridge club he’s referring to. It’s a club for all three!

by Anonymousreply 136November 3, 2020 2:26 PM

R84, at the link is a newish site where you can order books from shops around the country. It's apparently been so successful that it's now expanding into the United Kingdom.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 137November 3, 2020 2:39 PM

This will be the first year in a few years that we HAVE put up a tree. Not much else to do, and first year in a new place, so yes....

by Anonymousreply 138November 3, 2020 2:41 PM

[quote] It's apparently been so successful that it's now expanding into the United Kingdom.

I’m familiar. And Greece. And Italy. I’m expanding everywhere.

by Anonymousreply 139November 3, 2020 2:49 PM

No tree. But four amaryllis, a few lights and some garland.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 140November 3, 2020 2:52 PM

For those shunning family, you may want to rethink it. It could be the last holiday you spend together. They could die of Covid or you could. Who knows what shape this country will be in this time next year. The Second Civil War maybe.

by Anonymousreply 141November 5, 2020 2:23 AM

I live nowhere near any relatives, I'm single these past two years, my friends spend the holidays with their parents (usually). I spent last Christmas alone (though not Thanksgiving). I still put up a tree and decorations, even though no one saw them, I probably will again. Anyone else in the same boat?

by Anonymousreply 142November 5, 2020 2:30 AM

[quote] For those shunning family, you may want to rethink it. It could be the last holiday you spend together. They could die of Covid or you could. Who knows what shape this country will be in this time next year. The Second Civil War maybe.

It's not "shunning" family. Yes, it could be the last holiday together. But you don't want somebody giving Grandma coronavirus at this party. For sure, then, it will be your last holiday with Grandma.

by Anonymousreply 143November 5, 2020 2:52 AM

"shunning family" - tsk

by Anonymousreply 144November 5, 2020 2:57 AM

R130, no. It was my siblings that refused to go to hospice with me. And I had a roommate then, who was a narcissist and refused to do anything to make the holiday better, knowing I was having an incredibly bad time of it.

I had to fight with my dad’s doctors to pull the life support, and they refused to listen to me. It was so bad, several of the nurses whispered behind the doctor’s back that the hospital was just trying to run up a big Bill, and they told me the truth, that he was dying. The doctor refused to tell me his prognosis. He kept pushing the idea he was going to recover when it was obvious he wasn’t. The hospital had been trying to get me to put him on a permanent feeding tube after he had multiple organ failure and was in a coma, because once the permanent feeding tube is in, it’s very hard to get it taken out. They were told he didn’t want that, so they lied and said he would recover. He was dying. He had a living will done by an attorney. The doctor refused to read it.

They just lied and refused to honor it until I put my foot down, with no accurate information, just guessing. I didn’t really understand what was going on until I got to the hospice, and I had to sign him out not really knowing, except the hospice lady accepted him, which meant she understood him to be dying. At the hospice, the nurses immediately told me he’d been dying for weeks.

And his older family thought I was doing the wrong thing and they were really angry, so I was getting it from all sides. They accused me of quitting too soon. They had nothing to do with it before then. I felt like my whole family hated me, so I was trying to cheer myself up. He died the day after Christmas, and then I had to immediately make his funeral arrangements.

Not everyone decorates because they’re a married frau baking cookies with all their many crotchfruit, if that’s what you’re implying.

by Anonymousreply 145November 5, 2020 4:18 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!