Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Let's class this joint up... Who are the best American artists?

Post a snap of your favorite work by an American.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3October 25, 2020 9:55 PM

This hangs in my local museum . Ive looked at it 1000s of times and it makes me tear up every single time . I remember when I thought Norman Rockwell a schlock meister of the nth degree ,but one day in the museum I stared at it and really just "got" him .

Second Holiday is an example of one of his illustrations that told a story. Rockwell created this illustration for a short story in American Magazine in 1939. The short story takes place at a clinic in Minnesota, where an eldery couple sits in a waiting room. Avoiding eye contact, the man and woman sit side by side and stare into space as their arms intertwine. The couple thinks of their visit to the clinic as a “holiday” due to the fact that it is only their “second” time away from their hometown in decades. And although the elderly woman is sick and dying, both the husband and the wife refuse to accept this reality in order to protect and support one other.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1October 25, 2020 9:31 PM

Basquiat. Color and vibrancy - and a layer of modern meaning.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2October 25, 2020 9:54 PM

Rothko. Simple but wonderful color play - and meaningful simplicity for its time.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3October 25, 2020 9:55 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!