Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Beef Jerky

Is there really a need for beef jerky? When I was a teenager, my friends and I ate Slim Jims all the time. Thinking about it now, it makes me gag. Is there a good beef jerky or is this a leftover from our agrarian society history?

by Anonymousreply 16October 25, 2020 7:37 PM

I don’t know if it still exists but there’s a Whittingtons beef jerky from a place close to Fredericksburg TX.

Fredericksburg is somewhat close to Austin.

It was great beef jerky.

by Anonymousreply 1October 25, 2020 5:57 PM

??? It's a savory preparation. There is no more or less a need for it today and 50 years ago. Eat it because it's delicious. Take it on a hike. Or camping. Or skiing. There are good jerkys all over the Alps.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2October 25, 2020 5:59 PM

In Thailand, beef jerky served with chili sauce for dipping is bar food.

by Anonymousreply 3October 25, 2020 6:01 PM

I love it, and it's a good high-protein/low-calorie snack. I avoid it though, because it always gets stuck in my teeth.

by Anonymousreply 4October 25, 2020 6:02 PM

Lots of protein. Low carb if you find varieties w/o sugar. The grass-fed ones are best. Try the type using the biltong method to cure.

by Anonymousreply 5October 25, 2020 6:05 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6October 25, 2020 6:09 PM

People should probably stock up on beef jerky now that we're heading toward another lockdown in case the supply chain gets disrupted and we start running out of meat!

by Anonymousreply 7October 25, 2020 6:09 PM

The best. Always a fave. Yes the Thai jerky is awesome!

by Anonymousreply 8October 25, 2020 6:17 PM

OP, where do you live that Slim Jims are considered beef jerky??

by Anonymousreply 9October 25, 2020 6:43 PM

[quote]OP, where do you live that Slim Jims are considered beef jerky??

Wikipedia classifies them as beef jerky? Are they not considered that?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10October 25, 2020 6:48 PM

They’re still around!

They’re in Johnson City TX.

by Anonymousreply 11October 25, 2020 6:57 PM

r6 That's pork, not beef.

by Anonymousreply 12October 25, 2020 6:57 PM

Beef is gross enough already, but to turn it into leather-like scraps and try to eat it is horrifying.

by Anonymousreply 13October 25, 2020 7:11 PM

It’s protein to take with you that can last for weeks and not require refrigeration. Otherwise, not really.

by Anonymousreply 14October 25, 2020 7:18 PM

I like Beef Jerky, especially Teriyaki and Biltong. I don't mind those sausage sticks either. They're very high in sodium, but healthier than many other "snack foods". I always take them camping and backpacking.

by Anonymousreply 15October 25, 2020 7:21 PM

Anyone ring?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 16October 25, 2020 7:37 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!