Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Online stalkers

Ever had one? Was it merely inconvenient and weird or scary?

I think I have one on another chat forum. As soon as I log on, it's there snapping back with personal attacks at anything I type. It's like it's looking for me. If I leave that conversation and go to another, there it is again. Back before I ignored it, it had intimated that maybe we should meet for a drink. It's a Trump deplorable though so I totally blocked and muted. Now that it's on mute I can't see what it posts but I know when it posts. Bizarre but not dangerous. I find it more amusing than anything.

by Anonymousreply 38October 26, 2020 2:08 PM

[quote]I think I have one on another chat forum.

Are these heterosexual people?

Be very wary of them online.

by Anonymousreply 1October 25, 2020 2:07 PM

Some old woman from San Francisco stalked me all over LiveJournal several years ago, started some rumors about me, basically it was just homophobia and her ego being unable to handle the fact that I didn't know (nor care) who she was. The worst part was a creepy friend of hers emailing me weird "insights" about me based on some psychosexual tarot mumbo jumbo.

Old straight online nerds are the fucking worst.

by Anonymousreply 2October 25, 2020 2:11 PM

Yes. It's creepy. It's a guy I saw a few times before the pandemic/lockdown. I decided that since I didn't know much about his living situation or how much he partied and continued to party after social distancing went into effect, I would stop seeing him. First, I tried the honest route: I am older than him and therefore vulnerable; it was nothing personal; would love to stay in touch and see him when things get back to normal (early days of the pandemic), blah-blah-blah. He seemed gentlemanly about it. Then, mid-summer, at the HEIGHT of the big spike in Covid cases where we both live, he started wheedling about coming over. Every fucking time I went on line, there he was, asking to come over. And, on top of it, downplaying Covid and how dangerous it was. Meanwhile, people dropping like flies all over here. I finally blocked and deleted him wherever on line we were connected, Mind you, this was after many, many discussions about the dangers of Covid. He showed up at my door unannounced one afternoon and I slammed it shut. I hate that shit under normal conditions. To his credit, he WAS wearing a mask. Ha ha. Probably thought that would totally make me think it was OK to invite him in. Although I don't think he will seek t revenge -- the 'relationship' wasn't all that, and neither of us was THAT into the other -- I do think revenge of some sort is the flip side of the ability to block and delete people if they know where you live. I do worry about it, from time to time.

by Anonymousreply 3October 25, 2020 2:11 PM

Oh r3, I think he actually WAS that into you.

Consider purchasing some bear mace and a crossbow, jeez.

by Anonymousreply 4October 25, 2020 2:13 PM

Anyone who follows another person they have never and will never meet around on the internet just to cause them as much grief as possible is mentally ill.

by Anonymousreply 5October 25, 2020 2:16 PM

If people come to my house without calling and asking first, I simply won't answer the door.

Were they raised by wolves?

by Anonymousreply 6October 25, 2020 2:17 PM

It's a very mixed group on a political blog. There are a few whackos and one swanned through a few months ago threatening "I don't care if you live or die but your neighbors will come to your house and pull you out soon"......I took it to mean he was saying once the militants take over they will start going Gilead on us. He disappeared shortly thereafter.

by Anonymousreply 7October 25, 2020 2:17 PM

Yep. I incurred the ire of a nutty old academic adjacent on a crime board years ago. She stalked me here and another site and 'revealed all' on the crime board. It was a slimp as she was. But the line between being online enemies and actually doing something about it... that did unnerve me. I mean, what's wrong with you to bother to do that? It was out of bounds, but she was pretty strident and arrogant... I figured there was something underlying that was more than just an unpleasant personality but you stop there if you're not as bad.

by Anonymousreply 8October 25, 2020 2:18 PM

Stalker? No. Loons who went through my post history and followed me from sub to sub on Reddit when I posted a pro-choice opinion on a fitness sub? Yes!

And while we’re at it the internet is very right wing. I don’t know why but right wing people seem to have lots of spare time to post, troll, downvote....YT videos of left wing politicians get thousands of downvotes and nasty comments. Obscure 60 second clips of Dem politicians will get more downvotes than a Trump video with a million views. For that reason I’m no longer on social media and don’t do forums except this one. There’s too many of them and they have all the time in the world it seems to keep posting responses and leaving you nasty DMs.

by Anonymousreply 9October 25, 2020 2:19 PM

How do you have online stalkers with all the blocking, muting, unfriending options?

by Anonymousreply 10October 25, 2020 2:23 PM

A few, but stalkers in person are far scarier. I had one for almost 20 years.

by Anonymousreply 11October 25, 2020 2:23 PM

Weird, R8, I had someone from Websleuths "follow me around" a little here on DL a few years ago. I'd linked something unflattering about the owner of Websleuths and this lady got really mad and spent a day or two replying to me on every thread she could find.

by Anonymousreply 12October 25, 2020 2:24 PM

Because despite their bitching about liberals being lazy and out of work on the government tit, it's usually these right wing fucktards who are guilty of being out of work so they have plenty of time to be on the internet. I think a lot of them use multiple browsers and user names. I know my stalker posts under different names to try and get a response from me when it realizes I've muted its other name. I just mute as soon as I see it and so it goes. It's desperately trying to bait me. For some odd reason, it is kind of obsessed.

These nuts are Alex Forrest types for sure.

by Anonymousreply 13October 25, 2020 2:27 PM

Details R11.

by Anonymousreply 14October 25, 2020 2:28 PM

I've been the stalker. A guy misunderstood what I thought was a harmless comment I made, so he cussed me out and decided he didn't want to be friends anymore. I couldn't accept that because I still cared about him so I followed him everywhere, and tried to contact him repeatedly. It always either resulted in him blocking me or deleting his accounts altogether. I still follow him on Instagram even today but he either doesn't notice or doesn't care.

by Anonymousreply 15October 25, 2020 2:30 PM

[quote]It's a very mixed group on a political blog.

OMG

In other words, heterosexuals.

And then you come here to complain about it.

by Anonymousreply 16October 25, 2020 2:35 PM

So I follow a number of guys on Instagram who I've never met but their lives intrigue me. So watching them on Instagram is kind of like a combination live action and silent movie soap opera. I have no interest in meeting them but they intrigue me, mostly because of the implicit need to show off and the implicit insecurity that underlies the need to publicize their fabulous lives. These are generally good looking (for real life), successful careers gays. It used to be a larger group but many went private. Don't know why. Assume part of it might have been growing up a little and tiring of me, me, me.

by Anonymousreply 17October 25, 2020 2:37 PM

R16, unless you live in a bubble you will have to deal with heterosexuals. As I said, it's a mix. Mostly educated urban democrats, gay and straight, but a few deplorables invade just like here.

by Anonymousreply 18October 25, 2020 2:41 PM

Only on Datalounge.

by Anonymousreply 19October 25, 2020 2:43 PM

[quote][R16], unless you live in a bubble you will have to deal with heterosexuals.

You don't HAVE TO deal with them online. I'm perfectly integrated in the real world, but online I'm GAY GAY GAY.

With straights online I find myself thinking "Who the hell ARE you?"

I recently had a go with twitter. Broke into a row (her fault) with some young woman and I kid you not it made The Daily Mail...my pic and tweet in The Daily fucking Mail!

I'm DONE with them.

by Anonymousreply 20October 25, 2020 3:05 PM

To each their own R20. It's a political blog and I don't mind heterosexuals who are liberal and likeminded.

by Anonymousreply 21October 25, 2020 3:07 PM

[quote]To each their own [R20]. It's a political blog and I don't mind heterosexuals who are liberal and likeminded.

You sound like a very mild minded kind of guy - you don't deserve their vitriol, I'm sure.

It's funny, if someone's nasty to me on here, I've forgiven and forgotten in minutes - some hetero (out there) crosses me and I'm ENRAGED for hours.

by Anonymousreply 22October 25, 2020 3:13 PM

R11 the vitriol only comes from the deplorables invading.

by Anonymousreply 23October 25, 2020 3:14 PM

That's true R9, and right wingers almost always have much bigger mouths than liberals and rarely waste an opportunity to make sure they're yelling the loudest. Liberals are more prone to sitting back and watching them make fools of themselves and pitying them.

by Anonymousreply 24October 25, 2020 3:40 PM

[quote]Liberals are more prone to sitting back and watching them make fools of themselves and pitying them.

This isn't my experience AT ALL.

by Anonymousreply 25October 25, 2020 3:43 PM

I've had at least three online stalkers here at DataLounge. These were lunatics who followed me from thread to thread, making up lies about me and my "history" with Gap.

Muriel clearly sides with me and banished at least two of them - their posts are GONE!

The third is still around but I always challenge him to post "proof" of his lies, which he never does.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 26October 25, 2020 4:14 PM

I did, to some extent, on one site. I'd post an innocuous comment and quite often she would show up in some haste, make some pissy, nasty arrogant reply. It got to a point that I looked back through my comments to make sure I hadn't posted something rancid when I was drunk and forgotten about it. Nope! And I noticed over time that this wasn't her standard m.o., by the way. I was more bemused than anything, though it got tiresome. I came to think she was sad and pathetic. If people are wondering, this site requires the use of a screen name to post, doesn't let you block people so it was easy to see what was going on.

She was one of the more prominent members of the community so it was brought to everyone's attention when she was diagnosed with stage iv cancer, when she died a few months later.

Im not necessarily proud of this, but my thought was and is, "Good riddance."

by Anonymousreply 27October 25, 2020 5:35 PM

R99 what business do you have posting about abortion on a fitness subthread? You're the problem

by Anonymousreply 28October 25, 2020 9:54 PM

R28.

by Anonymousreply 29October 25, 2020 10:10 PM

Ha, r8 = frausleuth

by Anonymousreply 30October 25, 2020 10:15 PM

R30.

by Anonymousreply 31October 25, 2020 10:17 PM

On a board I used to post on, this older guy found out which high school this kid went to and used to follow him from thread to thread saying, "(redacted) High School." You may think we were all horrible people for laughing about it and egging it on, but the kid was seriously a little psychopath and kinda had it coming.

by Anonymousreply 32October 25, 2020 10:20 PM

[quote]I think I have one on another chat forum. As soon as I log on, it's there snapping back with personal attacks at anything I type.

Maybe you should stop going there OP. How hard can it be to ignore that website and just post somewhere else?

by Anonymousreply 33October 25, 2020 10:28 PM

I have stalkers here on DL claiming that I am racist and not a German and fat!!

by Anonymousreply 34October 25, 2020 10:29 PM

You’re just tedious, GGG, so it’s an easy mistake.

by Anonymousreply 35October 25, 2020 11:05 PM

GapHole called me one of his stalkers a while back and I'm still here, and I wasn't even stalking, I just quoted some of the alt-right troll stuff he had posted with his account, some even signed with his name.

Ever since then he's been claiming he's been stalked by a series of psychopaths but ask yourself, how would he even KNOW if someone had gotten banned by Muriel? Most bans are temporary and come from the automated system.

by Anonymousreply 36October 26, 2020 8:01 AM

There's one major thing everyone, especially you young folks, should realize about people on-line. No one is really your friend. When people can disguise themselves from site to site, even if you know each other in real life, you can never fully trust them. Many of them will pretend to be your best friend on one site, and totally fuck you over on another if they think you don't know who they are. Don't ever mistake someone being nice to you on-line, even on a long term basis, as 'friendship'. One wrong word, one wrong opinion, and your so-called on-line friends will turn on you like rabid dogs.

So many people completely lose their moral and ethical compass when they log onto the internet. They see it as their chance to say things to others they'd never say in real life.

by Anonymousreply 37October 26, 2020 9:48 AM

Who the the hell is GapHole?

by Anonymousreply 38October 26, 2020 2:08 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!