Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Is it time for term limits?

Before you Russian me, check my posts, I've been boosting Biden since last year.

But I just heard Nancy Pelosi on State of the Union slip in she's running for Speaker again.

When will these people step aside and let a new generation of leadership emerge? I honestly think it's time. Look at where Ginsburg holding on left us. I think there's a moral imperative to develop a farm team and step aside at some useful point. I think it's irresponsible for people over 75 to cling on. No one is that special, that experienced or that needed. The needs of the system and the country should exceed your need for a career. There is lots to be done behind the scenes, you don't have to wield power.

by Anonymousreply 15October 25, 2020 4:39 PM

Oh, do you have a problem with the Speaker, OP?

Fuck off and die in a grease fire you stupid bitch. The Speaker has been CRUSHING it and she's not going anywhere. She keeps her caucus in line, she impeached the motherfucker, she's the only one who has known how to handle the Orange Turd.

Next in line is Steny Hoyer, is that who you want?

by Anonymousreply 1October 25, 2020 1:53 PM

No, I want someone talented between forty and sixty, not between 75 and death.

Thank you for your rational and well reasoned reply.

by Anonymousreply 2October 25, 2020 1:56 PM

Who's that angry this early on a Sunday morning? At least who isn't wearing a MAGA hat. You sound like a Maggot, R1.

by Anonymousreply 3October 25, 2020 1:58 PM

I love Jake Tapper.

by Anonymousreply 4October 25, 2020 1:58 PM

Uh-huh.

Look at my posts and see what a terrible MAGAt I am. It's astonishing.

by Anonymousreply 5October 25, 2020 2:11 PM

You don't have to think like a Maggat to behave like one, dear.

by Anonymousreply 6October 25, 2020 2:13 PM

I used to think that a majority of Americans would be savvy enough to know when to turn out their representatives. I realize that I am incorrect, and want to encourage everyone to TURN. THE. BASTARDS. OUT. I feel the House of Representatives should be three years, but a 6 year Senate term is much too long. Cut it to 3 years as well, if you can't do something constructive in that time, then you don't have what it takes to keep things moving in a positive direction. Every Senator and Representative gets ONE term, then you're gone. Bring your A-Game, and do all you can for us, then go the hell home. This also obviates all the mishigas that we deal with as Reps start running for re-election as soon as they've taken their oath of office.

The Presidency? Keep it at four years, then game over, no possibility of running again, ever.

by Anonymousreply 7October 25, 2020 2:36 PM

Yes, there are many who should have been term-limited: Ted Kennedy, John McCain, Chuck Schumer, Lindsey Graham, Susan Collins. Congress should not be a person's main job all their life.

by Anonymousreply 8October 25, 2020 2:41 PM

How the fuck can so many people not know that Nancy's had these plans for a while. She already said to her colleagues that she'd retire in 2022. That seems appropriate since depending on the outcome on Nov. 3rd, she may have gotten us through the Trump years. She kicked ass battling Trump and passed most of the agenda set forth by Obama from 2009-2010. The House under Nancy passed also Public Option. People forget that fact. Then she had her Members revote on the reconciliation ACA vote after the Senate barely got that passed in their chamber. She and House Dems knew that they were throwing themselves on the grenade that would cost them their majority. Once again, Nancy got her people to do the right thing.

We, myself included, were all for removing Nancy in 2016. Then she proved to be formidable enough and capable of remaining the leader of House Dems and retaking the gavel in 2018. She moved forward with impeachment when it was politically advantageous for the Members in swing districts and allowed the appropriate level of Trump investigations to occur from the House.

She has been a great manager of the House, a good spokesperson, and a talented political sparrer against Donald. I say, give her the damn gavel back in 2021. Final note, if anyone should let someone else lead it's Chuck Schumer. But Senate Dems, minus a few exceptions, are a talentless bunch so he stays.

by Anonymousreply 9October 25, 2020 2:57 PM

Term limits and age limits. It's ridiculous that we have geriatrics with one foot in the grave and no understanding of modern life or society in charge of everything.

by Anonymousreply 10October 25, 2020 2:57 PM

Congress is an institution ruled by ancient millionaires. The median age for a member of Congress sits at around 60 years, while net worth is approximately $1 million based on estimates. As soon as they get their claws into power, they will squeeze every last penny out of it for as long as they remain in office. Take a look at Roy Blunt: since elected in 2011 he has increased his wealth from $600k to over $10m.

So much for civil "servant"!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 11October 25, 2020 3:05 PM

We have term limits. It's called voting.

by Anonymousreply 12October 25, 2020 3:07 PM

The problem with voting as the term limit solution is the power of incumbency and name rec. People go for what's familiar, which is fine, except every so often familiarity breeds enough contempt to the point the voters vomit up the settled order and the other side sweeps in as punishment, rather than endorsement. So hello Tea Party, hello Trump. That's worth shaving a few years off a forty year career?

Term limits would force renewal and discussion.

Personally I've never sought term limits as exclusion... my view of term limits proposes consecutive terms, like the limit of the presidency, but would remove the exclusion from ever holding the office again. You just have to take a break after a certain consecutive number of terms. If you're so wonderful the voters can't resist you, you'll find your way back after your real world time out.

by Anonymousreply 13October 25, 2020 3:39 PM

Agreed r13.

by Anonymousreply 14October 25, 2020 3:46 PM

[quote]Term limits and age limits. It's ridiculous that we have geriatrics with one foot in the grave and no understanding of modern life or society in charge of everything.

You'd think at least they would do something good for old people in the country, since they themselves are one, but they never do.

by Anonymousreply 15October 25, 2020 4:39 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!