Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Do our lives have meaning?

The original settlers, the soldiers who fought to abolish slavery, the queer folk that were persecuted at The Stonewall Inn.....what will OUR GENERATION be remembered for? I know there’s relentless activists out there even today. But the majority of us just exist and enjoy life and travel and food and wine with any true contribution to society. (Well, at least pre-Covid) It all seems so self serving. I can’t think of anything I’ve ever done that didn’t benefit myself and myself only. The question is, what can I do to feel as if I’ve added value to the world? Or does it even matter or make a difference I did?

by Anonymousreply 16October 26, 2020 12:09 PM

Voting Shitler and his scum out, then dealing with the mess of Covid will be our story.

by Anonymousreply 1October 25, 2020 5:14 AM

R1 - I guess you’re right.....in 20 years we’ll be the generation that lived thru Trump’s devastating reign.

by Anonymousreply 2October 25, 2020 5:15 AM

Posting selfies on instagram is the legacy of this generation.

by Anonymousreply 3October 25, 2020 5:19 AM

[quote]Do our lives have meaning?

I'm not so sure.

by Anonymousreply 4October 25, 2020 5:22 AM

There's always a cause worth fighting for. It's up to you to stand up and lead the way. If I were to pick something, I'd say that climate change is going to be define our lives for generations to come.

by Anonymousreply 5October 25, 2020 6:32 AM

You have to find something that has meaning TO YOU, OP. That makes you feel as though you've left the world better off than you found it.

It makes no difference whether it means anything to us.

by Anonymousreply 6October 25, 2020 6:40 AM

We imbue things with meaning, OP. There is no inherent point or purpose to anything. We get to choose what is important to us and why.

by Anonymousreply 7October 25, 2020 6:42 AM

This is the dick pic generation. Nothing more.

by Anonymousreply 8October 25, 2020 6:46 AM

No OP. Never did. The only cause worth pursuing is antinatalism.

by Anonymousreply 9October 25, 2020 6:53 AM

[quote]The question is, what can I do to feel as if I’ve added value to the world?

Why on earth would you expect someone to tell you that? It's your life. Pick something.

by Anonymousreply 10October 25, 2020 7:04 AM

The more I think about it, the answer is 'no'. Nowadays when I see a wholesome, do-gooder, I think to myself these are the ones that get cancer and die early. The evilshits, however, seem to live forever. Soon we'll have statistics that prove the more money you have, the longer you live.

by Anonymousreply 11October 25, 2020 8:13 AM

Only in shithole countries like America where poor people can't get good healthcare, r11.

by Anonymousreply 12October 25, 2020 1:26 PM

R11 those statistics exist already. Why do you think the British Royal family generally live to ripe old ages? Doing nothing and having the best medical care helps.

by Anonymousreply 13October 25, 2020 3:47 PM

[quote]The more I think about it, the answer is 'no'. Nowadays when I see a wholesome, do-gooder, I think to myself these are the ones that get cancer and die early. The evilshits, however, seem to live forever.

The good die young.

I had a great aunt. The wickedest person I ever met. She died just last year age 97!

by Anonymousreply 14October 25, 2020 3:50 PM

I'm another witness to conscientious do-gooders getting diseases - both my parents and myself. Obviously I'm not dead, but I've come close and it's a chronic one that takes maintenance. Have I learned my lesson? No. I'm better than I used to be, but I find it hard to turn off and so I waste it on my workday. I am constantly checking the nest egg and wondering if I can really retire early and continue living like a monk.

by Anonymousreply 15October 25, 2020 4:12 PM

My life now is making sure mom is happy and has everything she wants. I send her gifts and cards to let her know she is truly loved.

by Anonymousreply 16October 26, 2020 12:09 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!