Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

EEK! I have a mouse! I have a mouse inside my house!

Actually, it's not a big deal but I panic every time I realize I have one. Because what if I open the cupboard and it's a RAT! or an army of mice?

I get one field mouse every year. I know everyone says if you see one that there are a bunch more but I catch him every winter (I obviously name him Ralph), walk him a few blocks away and bid him adieu. I tend not to see him (or any others) until next winter.

I actually realized that he had arrived this year before he succeeded in getting into the dog food and have set the trap for him. God I wish I had a cat.

by Anonymousreply 17October 25, 2020 6:14 PM

Well you can geta cat, dear. OR train your useless dog on how to kill them.

by Anonymousreply 1October 25, 2020 3:38 AM

Lure a neighbor's cat. I have one who drops by for treats I keep for him and he does his job.

by Anonymousreply 2October 25, 2020 3:42 AM

ha, I actually told my dog he wasn't doing his job! My old girl used to be the one to alert me to the mouse and my my old boy actually caught one (outside) one time and a vole another time. I lived in fear of him succeeding in catching a mouse in the house.

My winter visitor is polite compared to what he could be that I don't have much urge to kill him. if he acted like a frat boy I would borrow a cat.

by Anonymousreply 3October 25, 2020 3:46 AM

I have a Citrus Rat. Beat that.

by Anonymousreply 4October 25, 2020 4:38 AM

r4, what does that mean? Every time you peel an orange a rat leaps out? What does it mean????

by Anonymousreply 5October 25, 2020 4:55 AM

I would scream r4 if I found that in the dog food cupboard! how do you deal, with having those?

I caught the little bugger and ran him down to the river. so cute, I struggle every time with wanting to keep it as a pet.

I use these, they're magic. five minutes after smearing some peanut butter on a cracker and slapping it into the farthest end I have a cute little mouse politely sitting there waiting for me.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6October 25, 2020 4:59 AM

There is more than one.

by Anonymousreply 7October 25, 2020 5:02 AM

I'm glad you don't kill them rescue chick. I love mice, and have caught them before with popcorn. They are really cute.

by Anonymousreply 8October 25, 2020 5:08 AM

there never is r7! my friend just told me it's a vole and Google says they don't actually like being inside a house like mice do. he may come back but in 15 years here I have never had more than one at a time.

by Anonymousreply 9October 25, 2020 5:11 AM

OP Did you actually say Eeek? I would love it if you did LOL

by Anonymousreply 10October 25, 2020 8:42 AM

But mice are cute, I screamed when I saw a centipede in my living room though.

by Anonymousreply 11October 25, 2020 9:58 AM

I wonder if any of you have screamed when you unzipped a fly and found a huge dick. Or eek'ed when you discovered a tinymeat.

by Anonymousreply 12October 25, 2020 10:04 AM

I saw one repeatedly coming out from under my kitchen cabinets, scurrying over to the garbage can and stealing popcorn, one piece at a time. It was adorable to watch, but I live in a condo and they got rid of the mice with poison. Smelled horrible!

by Anonymousreply 13October 25, 2020 11:04 AM

I’m terrified of mice and rats. I don’t know why exactly, but the make me shudder, even the thought of keeping them as pets.

by Anonymousreply 14October 25, 2020 11:48 AM

When I lived in central Amsterdam my apartment was in one of those tall, old canal side houses. We were overrun with mice. They ignored mousetrap danger, somehow managing to extract the treat without springing the trap.

I just learned to live with them. I kept the place spotlessly clean and stored all foods in airtight containers. Apparently they had become immune to mouse poisons over generations and were basically unkillable.

by Anonymousreply 15October 25, 2020 4:02 PM

I live on a farm and we routinely have field mice invade the house. We use the sticky traps and they work really well. They're still alive, though, and then we drown them in a pot we specially use for that. Sometimes we can just turn the trap upside down, but sometimes they can still breathe that way, so then we have to hold it down until they drown. Kind of gross.

by Anonymousreply 16October 25, 2020 6:07 PM

I keep everything in airtight containers too except for the dog food bags in the summers. I move them to the freezer/fridge in the winter.

I could literally never do sticky traps. never ever. poison maybe as an absolute last resort if it were an infestation and I could not borrow a cat. but never sticky traps.

I didn't bring him far enough away (it was late and I was embarrassed when I realized that I had forgotten to bring a mask with me) so I will be repeating tonight.

by Anonymousreply 17October 25, 2020 6:14 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!