Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Corn Bread

I followed the directions on the jiffy box and my cornbread turned out dry. What should I do? More or less of an ingredient? Less time cooking? Less heat?

Thx.

by Anonymousreply 112October 27, 2020 6:56 PM

Try adding a cup of uncooked frozen whole kernel corn to the mix. Coat the pan in bacon grease. Really.

by Anonymousreply 1October 25, 2020 2:08 AM

Don’t use mixes from the dollar store

by Anonymousreply 2October 25, 2020 2:10 AM

R1 that sounds hideous, really. You write fat and poor.

by Anonymousreply 3October 25, 2020 2:11 AM

I had the same problem. Add some Dole crushed pineapple (the small can) to the mix. It's delicious and moist.

by Anonymousreply 4October 25, 2020 2:12 AM

Jiffy cornbread has no suggested fat in their box recipe to make it seem healthier.

No fat=dry cornbread.

Add some oil, add some sour cream. Your bake is begging for some richness.

by Anonymousreply 5October 25, 2020 2:14 AM

Forget the box mess. Find a good cornbread recipe online and use real corn meal.

by Anonymousreply 6October 25, 2020 2:16 AM

Damn, Miss OP, I have the same issue. I love CB but Jiffy seems to be dry and tasteless. Maybe the added corn recommendation will work.

At a local diner here in Honolulu, Zippys, they fry the CB on the grill in butter. A real FAT WHORE delight.

by Anonymousreply 7October 25, 2020 2:16 AM

Find a scratch recipe involving buttermilk.

by Anonymousreply 8October 25, 2020 2:18 AM

Pour spiced rum over it and let it soak in. Problem solved!

by Anonymousreply 9October 25, 2020 2:19 AM

This is bulletproof. Bill Neal was the man.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10October 25, 2020 2:20 AM

Mmmm, that sounds wonderful r9. Maybe even Grand Marnier.

by Anonymousreply 11October 25, 2020 2:21 AM

I threw up in my mouth after reading r4.

by Anonymousreply 12October 25, 2020 2:21 AM

Never had trouble with Jiffy cornbread mix, made it lots of times. For cornbread or muffins. Usually is most. I usually use half and half because that's sometimes all I have, Maybe try that. Or whole milk. Check your oven temp too, maybe lower it a little.

by Anonymousreply 13October 25, 2020 2:23 AM

Add some sour cream.

by Anonymousreply 14October 25, 2020 2:25 AM

I used to use Jiffy cornbread mix all the time and it never came out dry. As I recall, the box just calls for 1/3 C of milk and 1 egg -- beat the egg well with a fork, then stir the milk into it and mix well -- then pour that into the dry ingredients from the box and stir well to incorporate thoroughly. Grease an 8 or 9 inch square pan or spray with PAM and pour the batter into it, shaking the pan to be sure the contents are evenly distributed. Bake per the box directions in a pre-heated oven for the time specified -- if you don't have an oven thermometer, get one to determine whether your oven may be running too hot or too cool and adjust the temperature accordingly. Cool just a little on a rack before cutting -- it's best served warm with butter.

by Anonymousreply 15October 25, 2020 2:26 AM

I mean, moist.

by Anonymousreply 16October 25, 2020 2:26 AM

How about less corn and less bread. Horrible stuff to begin with, truly.

by Anonymousreply 17October 25, 2020 2:29 AM

Next time get the Marie Callender's

by Anonymousreply 18October 25, 2020 2:32 AM

Sugar. Add a few tablespoons of sugar to the mix. Will turn to syrup when combined with other ingredients/baked. Good for cakes, obviously.

by Anonymousreply 19October 25, 2020 2:33 AM

Sweet cornbread is an abomination.

by Anonymousreply 20October 25, 2020 2:35 AM

I put applesauce in mine. It makes it moister.

by Anonymousreply 21October 25, 2020 2:38 AM

Buttermilk!!

by Anonymousreply 22October 25, 2020 2:40 AM

Lard will make it moist.

Or Baking soda and a splash of vinegar will give it lift.

by Anonymousreply 23October 25, 2020 2:41 AM

Bacon grease, not lard. Lard is for biscuits and pie crust.

by Anonymousreply 24October 25, 2020 2:42 AM

Yeah fry up a pound of bacon just so you can make a 75 cent box of instant corn bread mix.

by Anonymousreply 25October 25, 2020 2:50 AM

You are supposed to save the bacon grease. That's how it was done back in the day - a grease can by the stove.

by Anonymousreply 26October 25, 2020 2:57 AM

Finger it, OP

by Anonymousreply 27October 25, 2020 2:58 AM

What would give corn bread more depth of flavour?

I make one with sweet corn and butternut squash. The recipe calls for sunflower oil, which I’ve made many times. It’s always good but I just want...more corn flavour? More depth of flavour?

I made it today and used sour cream instead of oil - I’ve made it with butter before too. The sour cream is nice and light but, again, I want more flavour. (This time I used some cumin and brown sugar - I won’t use sugar again, it doesn’t need it.) I always use chilli flakes and cracked black pepper.

Sometimes I create some small peaks and valleys in the batter and pour some single cream over the top before baking - this is really nice because it creates a bit of custard on top. That’s delicious.

I will try buttermilk in it next time. And I think more cornmeal, for flavour.

by Anonymousreply 28October 25, 2020 3:00 AM

Wouldn’t bacon grease make my corn bread taste like bacon?

by Anonymousreply 29October 25, 2020 3:02 AM

If you want more corn flavor r28...add corn.

Get one of those small cans of cream corn and throw it.

by Anonymousreply 30October 25, 2020 3:02 AM

Don't use Jiffy, for God's sake. Buy decent cornmeal.

Did you use a Yankee or Southern approach? I don't know what "Jiffy" tells you. Just make sure you add sufficient flour and include a fair dollop of melted butter or shortening in the batter, as well as melted into the skillet?

You DO use a preheated skillet, don't you? And always buttermilk to aid the rise.

Skip the canned corn. It's okay if you're also adding chiles, cumin, "chili powder" ingredients and such. But for cornbread alone such an addition is just nasty.

Yankee recipes use more flour, often an extra egg, and sugar for a lighter, more-risen, sweeter product.

Southern recipes usually are not sweetened and are less concerned about a high rise. They're about the corn flavor.

I just read OP/R28. Good heavens. Clueless. If you want a Mexi-corn-cake be sure to add some Goddamned frosting. I've sneaked a little sour cream in but only when I was out of buttermilk. Otherwise know off the bullshit with brown sugar. It's not a tart. It's CORNBREAD.

by Anonymousreply 31October 25, 2020 3:07 AM

Oh, Jesus. Make it from scratch, for heaven's sake. There are HUNDREDS of recipes online---there is no excuse for eating trash from a box!

by Anonymousreply 32October 25, 2020 3:09 AM

[quote]What should I do? More or less of an ingredient? Less time cooking? Less heat?

Kill yourself, frau cunt fuck.

Kill yourself.

by Anonymousreply 33October 25, 2020 3:12 AM

Apparently some of you have all day to spend baking cornbread. I don't! I need something fast but good. When I have a husband who will pay for me to stay home and bake corn bread, I'll make it from scratch. Til then, jiffy will have to do.

by Anonymousreply 34October 25, 2020 3:30 AM

local corn mix and local flour! really makes a difference in any baking.

by Anonymousreply 35October 25, 2020 3:32 AM

R31, I’m not the OP and I said I didn’t like the brown sugar in it so go fuck yourself. Nothing more off putting than some white trash, hillbilly Southerner getting on her high horse while polishing a Confederate statue with a Confederate do rag on her head when her fingernails need cleaning, rubbing bacon grease from a can into her elbows. Fuck. Off.

by Anonymousreply 36October 25, 2020 3:34 AM

It doesn't take that much longer to measure a few dry ingredients yourself, Miss OP. And the results are better.

by Anonymousreply 37October 25, 2020 3:34 AM

Yeah, southerners don't know shit about cornbread, right everyone?

by Anonymousreply 38October 25, 2020 3:35 AM

R38 Most southerners don't know shit, especially when it comes to Trump.

by Anonymousreply 39October 25, 2020 3:38 AM

Well, I'm not most southerners, missy.

by Anonymousreply 40October 25, 2020 3:42 AM

Frau CUNT thread with frau CUNT responses.

by Anonymousreply 41October 25, 2020 3:45 AM

Go eat Spam, R41.

by Anonymousreply 42October 25, 2020 3:48 AM

Eat a dick, frau CUNT R42.

by Anonymousreply 43October 25, 2020 3:49 AM

I thought we all ate dick here, straight CUNT R43?

by Anonymousreply 44October 25, 2020 3:50 AM

Cornbread? When did I eat cornbread.

by Anonymousreply 45October 25, 2020 3:53 AM

Your eggs (preferably jumbo) must be fresh. And best used room temperature.

by Anonymousreply 46October 25, 2020 4:09 AM

Triggered much, frau CUNT R44?

by Anonymousreply 47October 25, 2020 4:11 AM

You aren't making much sense at this point, R47 CUNT troll.

by Anonymousreply 48October 25, 2020 4:13 AM

Try s little mashed banana and/ or coconut milk .

by Anonymousreply 49October 25, 2020 4:18 AM

I've never tried a piece of corn bread I found delicious so never got the fuss, but I saw that Martha Stewart recipe where she pours a lot of heavy cream over the bread before baking in the skillet pan, not mixes it into the batter, but pours the whole lot over to stop it drying out and it looked really good, almost like a pudding.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 50October 25, 2020 4:30 AM

OP, I like cornbread and use Jiffy. I've tried making it from scratch, and it's not any better ... in fact from-scratch CB is often too cakey for my taste. CB should be crumbly. Besides, you can make it in a Jiffy, which is great when you just want a quick side dish for soup or stew that's already cooked.

Coating the pan with bacon grease adds a good flavor but won't help with the dryness. Some of the other ideas sound good but would likely result in more of a pudding texture, like spoon bread, which is tasty but not what you want if you want cornbread.

Here's what I've done to try to avoid dryness;

*I think the recipe says to use an 8" or 9" pan. Don't use a 9" pan; the batter will be spread too thin. Use an 8" pan or small loaf pan, or double the recipe.

*As suggested above, check your oven temperature and bake for the minimum time. Watch the pan carefully. Take it out of the oven the moment it looks close to done. If your Jiffy cornbread looks like the from-scratch CB in R50, it's overcooked.

And don't worry if it's a little dry. Run it under the toaster oven broiler briefly to get it hot again and then slather it with butter. That will take care of the dryness and clog your arteries at the same time. Win-win!

by Anonymousreply 51October 25, 2020 4:50 AM

Banana bread! Now that's some easy shit there. Make some and let us know.

by Anonymousreply 52October 25, 2020 4:54 AM

add an egg

by Anonymousreply 53October 25, 2020 4:55 AM

Melt some butter down and pour in right in the mix with the eggs and milk. Stir it really well, and let the batter sit for about 20 minutes before baking. Cornbread comes out soft and fluffy, like cake bitches. Even Patti Labelle cant get with my cornbread

by Anonymousreply 54October 25, 2020 5:12 AM

[quote] I had the same problem. Add some Dole crushed pineapple (the small can) to the mix. It's delicious and moist.

Who the fuck puts pineapple in cornbread? And Jiffy is already overly sweet. Cornbread should not taste like a cake.

by Anonymousreply 55October 25, 2020 5:27 AM

Jiffy blueberry muffins aren’t dry. Compare the packages.

by Anonymousreply 56October 25, 2020 5:30 AM

I always used the recipe on the bag of Indian Head Yellow Corn Meal. Scroll down to "GOLDEN YELLOW CORN BREAD OR CORN MUFFINS."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 57October 25, 2020 5:37 AM

My grandmother on my father's side always said that Jiffy was for lazy women.

My mother used Jiffy exclusively.

by Anonymousreply 58October 25, 2020 5:40 AM

Lol r58.

by Anonymousreply 59October 25, 2020 5:58 AM

I don't like cornbread at all. It's like a lousy piece of cake to eat with dinner. Yuck.

by Anonymousreply 60October 25, 2020 6:08 AM

Cornbread is great, excellent with soups, stews, beans, but it shouldn't be sweet.

by Anonymousreply 61October 25, 2020 7:04 AM

R50 that thing looks better than Hunter Biden's hose.

by Anonymousreply 62October 25, 2020 7:17 AM

I have used Jiffy for the Thanksgiving bread basket, as there is so much cooking going on that the easy mix is helpful. I add frozen corn and a large handful of grated sharp cheddar and bake in mini muffin pans.

by Anonymousreply 63October 25, 2020 7:24 AM

Adding canola oil to any mix of dough will always keep it moist

by Anonymousreply 64October 25, 2020 7:27 AM

R60 then you don’t need to have any.

by Anonymousreply 65October 25, 2020 7:40 AM

The four letter word for excrement has been used 3 times in this thread.

I think that ugly word should be banished from a thread about eating succulent food.

by Anonymousreply 66October 25, 2020 7:50 AM

Jiffy mix is vile. Never use it again.

by Anonymousreply 67October 25, 2020 8:07 AM

Sage powder is a nice addition, so is finely chopped parsley.

by Anonymousreply 68October 25, 2020 9:35 AM

R68, that sounds delicious. You could also add the parsley to softened butter and spread that on the cornbread.

by Anonymousreply 69October 25, 2020 9:50 AM

Well. La di da.

by Anonymousreply 70October 25, 2020 10:18 AM

Switch to Krusteaz Honey Cornbread mix. It’s much better in my opinion, but is a bit high in sodium. So don’t eat it all the time.

Loaf method is moister than muffins sometimes because muffins lose the bulk moisture easier.

by Anonymousreply 71October 25, 2020 12:21 PM

Add finely grated cheese (Cheddar or Mont Jack).

by Anonymousreply 72October 25, 2020 1:12 PM

I make a sweet version that starts with the recipe in r57. I use half white sugar and half brown, substitute full-fat yogurt for the milk, and add raisins. I serve it with butter and honey for breakfast.

by Anonymousreply 73October 25, 2020 1:29 PM

I don't know what that is R73, but it it's not corn bread.

by Anonymousreply 74October 25, 2020 2:54 PM

That sounds nasty R73

by Anonymousreply 75October 25, 2020 3:00 PM

Add creamed corn. If it calls for 1/2 cup milk or water do 1/4 cup of that and 1/4 cup creamed corn.

by Anonymousreply 76October 25, 2020 3:04 PM

I'm just following up to say that the corn bread I made yesterday tastes even better today, so that's something. I think the flavours I'm looking for require more cumin (up to 2 tsps) and some salt, probably about 1/2 tsp. I already use 1 tsp chilli flakes and cracked black pepper. I also think more cornmeal, less flour, so this one was 100g plain flour, 200g corn meal. I would be tempted to try 50g plain flour, 150g corn meal the next time I make this (I love this cornbread with chilli).

Sour cream (or similar) works really well instead of oil or even butter, keeps it light and moist. Tempted to try it with buttermilk so will probably go that way next time. This recipe already has 1+ tsp baking powder and 4 large eggs so it rises plenty. Will be interesting to see what buttermilk adds to that.

It doesn't need sugar because the butternut squash (200g, shredded) and 150g corn kernels already adds a touch of sweetness to it.

by Anonymousreply 77October 25, 2020 3:08 PM

I love Jiffy, the cornbread and the cake boxes. I don't have time for scratch and with a little help the boxes are great.

Just add a small can of creamed corn to the cornbread mix for a great cornbread.

by Anonymousreply 78October 25, 2020 3:08 PM

Hire an old black woman who is overweight and cooks in her bare feet. (It helps if she calls you 'Baby' whatever your age may be.)

Your cornbread will be perfect!!! Problem solved. Any concerns with your collard greens?

by Anonymousreply 79October 25, 2020 3:17 PM

There's a few simple fixes, OP. First is to mix the batter and let it rest for about five minutes before putting the pan into the oven. That gives it time to rise a little more, and for the cornmeal to absorb a little moisture from the egg and milk.

You can also replace the milk with half-and-half or a mixture of cream and water, which will have a higher fat content than milk.

Plus, preheat the pan before putting the batter in it, so it bakes faster with a nice crusty edge. The interior will be moister because it bakes faster in the hot pan.

Or you can try this recipe, which makes a more cakey Jiffy cornbread.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 80October 25, 2020 3:29 PM

Scratch cornbread only has a few dry ingredients. Jiffy saves about two and a half minutes of getting stuff from the cupboard and measuring and replacing the items.

by Anonymousreply 81October 25, 2020 4:25 PM

The only time I make corn bread is when I make ham and beans so it doesn't matter whether the corn bread is dry or not. I crumble up the corn bread and pour the ham and beans over it. I always use Jiffy brand corn bread mix and couldn't tell you whether it was ever dry or not.

by Anonymousreply 82October 25, 2020 4:44 PM

Honey

by Anonymousreply 83October 25, 2020 4:45 PM

How much you wanna bet Aunt Elderbottom’s nephews at r82 dread eating at her house and have to chug Keystone Lights at dinner to make up for the dry-as-hell cornbread? They know they can’t just eat everything but the cornbread because Aunt Elderbottom always makes such a big to-do about her famous cornbread.

by Anonymousreply 84October 25, 2020 4:56 PM

Jiffy is cake mix, you philistines.

by Anonymousreply 85October 25, 2020 4:59 PM

R24 No. Lard is for the garbage pail. As is bacon grease.

by Anonymousreply 86October 25, 2020 6:23 PM

I use shortening and butter in my biscuits and avoid bacon grease entirely, but I still speak the truth.

by Anonymousreply 87October 25, 2020 6:37 PM

Hey I just thought of something - did you let the batter sit for 10 minutes first, or whatever the hell it says on the package?

Also the person who said use a smaller pan - yes! I think this mix works better as muffins, anyway.

by Anonymousreply 88October 25, 2020 7:02 PM

I made cornbread, except I substituted almond flour for the corn flour, soy milk for the milk, Yak butter for the cows butter, and ground Amaranth for the wheat flour. Also. I omitted the salt and eggs. It was horrible. I hate corn bread.

by Anonymousreply 89October 25, 2020 9:36 PM

Add some crushed pineapple.^

by Anonymousreply 90October 25, 2020 10:17 PM

LOL R90.

by Anonymousreply 91October 25, 2020 10:18 PM

Have you tried adding a tablespoon of mayonnaise? That makes chocolate cake moister .

by Anonymousreply 92October 25, 2020 10:29 PM

Most people who dont like cornbread have never tasted good cornbread. From someone who knows how to do it right. Its simple but so many people fuck it up and it comes out dry. And that stuff that comes in a roll format at restaurants is also awful.

by Anonymousreply 93October 25, 2020 10:34 PM

If it's not made in an iron skillet and without sugar it's not worth it.

by Anonymousreply 94October 25, 2020 10:49 PM

You can buy sweet corn extract, if you want to up the corn flavor in your finished product.

If you use canned corn in your other cooking, save the water it's packed in to use for cornbread.

Jiffy Mix is fine, you just have to increase the liquids. Go to a half cup of milk, also consider using an extra large or jumbo egg.

If I'm serving chili, or ham and beans. to a box of Jiffy I add: 1 tsp. dry minced onions, 1/8 tsp. dill weed(dry) and 2 Tbsps. cooked, crumbled bacon. Use the increased liquids as above.

DO NOT OVERBAKE! If you've left the cornbread in the oven until it pulls away from the sides of the pan, skillet or muffin cups, it's gone too far and will be too dry.

I can see adding SOME canned sweet corn or creamed corn, maybe 2 TBSPS. Freeze the rest in suitable portions for future cornbreads.

by Anonymousreply 95October 25, 2020 10:55 PM

Cornbread is the new pasta draining, I see...

by Anonymousreply 96October 25, 2020 11:11 PM

Right R96?! Only on Datalounge would R38 to R48 responses occur about fucking cornbread.

Just add some fat as several have suggested.

by Anonymousreply 97October 25, 2020 11:19 PM

Addition to r95: I've been making the cornbread with those three additions for so many years, I can't remember if I came up with them, or it used to be printed on the side of the box?

Yes, I type old.

by Anonymousreply 98October 25, 2020 11:30 PM

Alright, then. Don't get them excited. Just add the damn buttermilk and try again!

by Anonymousreply 99October 25, 2020 11:37 PM

My dad started adding 2 large eggs to Jiffy mix because he had trouble using up a whole carton of eggs, and said that it made the cornbread better (though he liked it fine the old way).

by Anonymousreply 100October 25, 2020 11:41 PM

Southerners are dying reading this thread

by Anonymousreply 101October 26, 2020 12:13 AM

Cripes, it's just about someone who wants his Jiffy cornbread to come out less dry, not about how he should be making it from scratch, etc. He's not going to make it from scratch, just answer the question.

by Anonymousreply 102October 26, 2020 12:43 AM

Eat shit from scratch, R102.

by Anonymousreply 103October 26, 2020 1:29 AM

Oh, pardon us foodies for piling on in the Jiffy cornbread mix thread! So sorry not sorry!

Also, Southerners also eat pigs feet so, enough said.

by Anonymousreply 104October 26, 2020 10:06 AM

[quote]I used to use Jiffy cornbread mix all the time and it never came out dry.

I still use it and it's never dry. Add an extra tablespoon milk and try again, OP. Don't overbake.

Plenty of Southerners use Jiffy box mix so don't take any of these bitchy comments to heart. It's better than my mom's or grandmother's homemade cornbread ever was. My Southern aunt adds a tablespoon of sugar to it, gives it a different texture. I have made it per box instructions and stirred in a cup of shredded pepper jack cheese, which is good too.

by Anonymousreply 105October 26, 2020 10:14 AM

I like a sweet cornbread. This is the recipe I use. And trust me, it is good.

And R104 I'm a southerner and in my 67 years on this earth I have never, nor have I ever known anyone, who consumed pig's feet.

Honey Corn Bread

1 cup A/P flour

1 cup yellow cornmeal

1/4 cup sugar

1 Tbs baking powder

1 cup heavy cream

1/4 cup vegetable oil

1/4 cup honey

2 large eggs eggs, lightly beaten

DIRECTIONS:

Preheat oven to 400°. Lightly grease a 9x9" pan.

Stir together flour, cornmeal, sugar and baking powder. Make a well in the center& add the cream, oil, honey and eggs and mix well. Pour batter into prepared baking pan.

Bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until the cornbread tests done.

by Anonymousreply 106October 26, 2020 10:18 AM

Buy Krusteaz honey cornbread mix instead, your problem solved!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 107October 26, 2020 10:28 AM

First, slaughter a pig for the bacon. I know many people prefer store bought but only freshly killed will work for this recipe. After frying it (cast iron skillet only, and only on a gas stove, please!), set aside the fat. Now grab a few ears of corn from your cornfield in back of your apartment, and some sea salt that you processed by hand from the Atlantic (never the Pacific) ocean. After you have milked your cow (tho my Aunt Susan always used goat's milk), and gotten an egg from the chicken coop, go to the supermarket, buy some Jiffy mix, and follow the directions.

by Anonymousreply 108October 26, 2020 12:30 PM

I slather mine with butter and sometimes honey which helps moisten it up. When I was younger there was a big spider in the box so never bought Jiffy again.

by Anonymousreply 109October 26, 2020 12:40 PM

[quote] Also, Southerners also eat pigs feet so, enough said.

So do the French; what’s your point?

by Anonymousreply 110October 26, 2020 5:58 PM

[quote] I have made it per box instructions and stirred in a cup of shredded pepper jack cheese, which is good too.

That sounds awesome!

by Anonymousreply 111October 27, 2020 6:07 PM

With cheese is good, but even better with jalapeno

by Anonymousreply 112October 27, 2020 6:56 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!