Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Which is your favorite Doris Day song

Mine is Doris's interpretation of Make Someone Happy.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 19October 29, 2020 7:39 PM

Secret Love

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1October 25, 2020 12:17 AM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2October 25, 2020 12:18 AM

"Ready, Willing and Able"

Her older work is the best. The "movie Doris" simpers too much, especially given the inherent pleasant mediocrity of her voice.

by Anonymousreply 3October 25, 2020 12:18 AM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 4October 25, 2020 12:19 AM

Sentimental Journey

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5October 25, 2020 12:24 AM

Her version of Willie Nelson’s barroom lament Night Life is supreme.

It opens with a frenetic spoken segment that sounds like an intro to one of her 1960s sex comedies and then slides into swan lines and strings.

An unlikely choice for the singer, but for me, working against type pays off. It’s my favorite of all her recordings.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6October 25, 2020 12:31 AM

I really miss YouTube previews. WHET them?

by Anonymousreply 7October 25, 2020 12:32 AM

Honorable mention to most of the songs on DD’s Latin for Lovers album.

Quiet Nights and Quiet Stars.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8October 25, 2020 12:36 AM

Stardust

by Anonymousreply 9October 25, 2020 12:40 AM

I loved her cover of Three Coins In The Fountain. It was so much better than the Sinatra version used in the movie; that song just sounds better when it's sung by a cis-female.

by Anonymousreply 10October 25, 2020 12:42 AM

"Everybody Loves a Lover." I like the Shirelles' version better, but this is a Doris Day thread.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 11October 25, 2020 12:49 AM

Que Sera Sera

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12October 25, 2020 12:55 AM

Perhaps, Perhaps, Perhaps

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 13October 25, 2020 1:45 AM

The Andre Previn duet album has its moments, but Doris Day has some cloying affectations that a better producer would rein in.

Nobody’s Heart is all right. The album’s opener, Close Your Eyes, is awful, though, for the above reason.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 14October 25, 2020 3:03 PM

Noel Coward's Someday I'll Find You" and Sigmund Romberg's "Who Are We to Say" because she is usually not associated with these composers and performs each song brilliantly.

by Anonymousreply 15October 29, 2020 5:46 PM

I wish she was still alive so she could do a cover version of WAP.

by Anonymousreply 16October 29, 2020 5:52 PM

When I was very young, before preschool, one of the first memories I still have, I literally asked my mom if I was going to be handsome when I grow up. She said Que Sera Sera and started singing the song in a soft way like a mother does with a smile. It brings a tear to my eye every time hear it I remember her.

by Anonymousreply 17October 29, 2020 5:58 PM

Fine and Dandy

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 18October 29, 2020 7:36 PM

Teacher's Pet

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 19October 29, 2020 7:39 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!