Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

My Best Friend’s Covid Wedding

Picture it. Any best friend is getting married in 3 weeks. Unfortunately, it happens to be in the middle of a pandemic riding a second wave spike. There will be tons of people I don’t know there and she is not making masks a requirement. Not only are masks not a requirement, it’s in an indoor venue for the wedding and reception.

I really don’t want to go because I just know I’m going to get sick.

What would you do, tasteful friends?

by Anonymousreply 10October 25, 2020 12:24 AM

"I love you, but I'm not risking my health or the health of the people I see every day"

by Anonymousreply 1October 24, 2020 11:37 PM

Or..."you're a dumb cunt determined to kill your older relatives"

by Anonymousreply 2October 24, 2020 11:37 PM

My mother's BFF just pulled her 60th birthday party with over 100 invitees. I don't know what she was thinking organizing it in the first place. Talk to your friend and ask her if she wants to remember her special day as the reason some of her loved ones got ill and/or died. That was the thought that made my mother's bff finally reconsider about her party.

by Anonymousreply 3October 24, 2020 11:56 PM

The decision is easy: send a note wishing the couple well and politely declining. I wouldn't make a big deal out of it; I'd just say "no".

by Anonymousreply 4October 24, 2020 11:58 PM

I'd tell her to go fuck herself at least with your inside voice. Just send a present with your regrets. If she doesn't understand, then she truly is a self-absorbed idiot, and not worth your time. I just had to cancel going to my own nieces wedding on Nov 1 in Florida. They booked a huge venue and can not get a refund - so they are basically having it and whomever can come will - they at least seem to be understanding. I called her to explain, and we sent a very generous gift - she seemed ok. It's not worth risking your life or others that you care for. These people who "don't live in fear" are actually morons and we don't have to let them take us with them.

by Anonymousreply 5October 25, 2020 12:02 AM

Send a nice present and a lovely card. Maybe even host a party for her whenever we're past COVID. If she drops you because you valued your health over her wedding, I wouldn't consider it a big loss.

by Anonymousreply 6October 25, 2020 12:05 AM

You specifically asked for advice from tasteful DLers, so I won’t comment.

by Anonymousreply 7October 25, 2020 12:09 AM

If you really like her and want to stay friends, send a present and RSVP that you will not be able to attend large gatherings at the present time. Leave your explanation at that, if she asks tell her that you have concerns about your own health or the health of frail loved ones, but only if asked.

If you're sick of her and don't want to speak to her again, send a harangue about superspreader events instead of a present.

by Anonymousreply 8October 25, 2020 12:10 AM

Give her a nice phone call "just to check in" and start screaming that she's a murderous cunt.

Scream "MURDERER!" at the top of your lungs, again and again into the phone until she hangs up.

If she drops you as a friend, her loss!

by Anonymousreply 9October 25, 2020 12:10 AM

Dump her immediately . Why would you be besties with someone so self centered ,so selfish , as to throw a fucking wedding in the middle of a pandemic ? Are you an asshole too OP ?

by Anonymousreply 10October 25, 2020 12:24 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!