Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Tasteful friends: remodelled 16/17 Century manor house near Edinburgh, Scotland

What do you think, my fellow Dataloungers?

It comes with a 1.76 acre garden and it has specutacular period features.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 37October 26, 2020 6:28 AM

Very charming overall but many of the rooms seem oddly narrow. Beautiful grounds.

by Anonymousreply 1October 24, 2020 11:32 PM

Can I call it a castle and name it my, um, our Summer White House? Is there a pool. Excuse me. "POOO-ELLL."

And will someone buy it for me, um, us? I shouldn't need to ask, except for all the racism.

by Anonymousreply 2October 24, 2020 11:44 PM

I'm glad you like it, R1 and R2! I'm just writing to say that I've just realized that I've written "specutacular".

Sorry for looking like an idiot! :P

by Anonymousreply 3October 24, 2020 11:53 PM

“Edinburgh, Scotland”?

As opposed to “Edinburgh, South Dakota”?

by Anonymousreply 4October 25, 2020 12:01 AM

There is a Versailles, Kentucky.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5October 25, 2020 12:15 AM

Thank you for the clarification, OP. I thought you meant Edinburg, Texas.

by Anonymousreply 6October 25, 2020 12:22 AM

R4, there are towns called Edinburgh in Australia and the US state of Indiana.

I was just trying to be clear... By the way, after annoyingly bitching about a clarification I have made out of courtesy, would you mind saying what you like or dislike about the house? You know, just to be incredibly daring by doing what the thread was meant to accomplish.

Thanks. 😊

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7October 25, 2020 12:25 AM

Well done, OP. A fairly perfect house, hugely atmospheric, but not unmanageably large, the perfect size in fact, amazing period details, a bit under-restored rather than the dreaded (for me) overrestored, and gorgeous gardens to match.

What keeps the price quite low are the surroundings, The street itself is nice it seems, but it's set amidst the sprawl and crescents of a bleak mid-20thC development of little ond-story houses (and done later two-story, of no account either.(

Dog the price I could stay happily knside the walls. Edinburgh center is 10 miles away. The working class setting is the one oroblem, but what a splendid house.

I love it.

by Anonymousreply 8October 25, 2020 12:32 AM

*little one-story houses

*At that price ("Dog that price"!!!)

by Anonymousreply 9October 25, 2020 12:35 AM

No, it's probably haunted.

by Anonymousreply 10October 25, 2020 12:39 AM

I think it's very cozy looking and I like it.

by Anonymousreply 11October 25, 2020 12:44 AM

The problem with Scotland is it's full of Scots.

by Anonymousreply 12October 25, 2020 2:19 AM

Unlike many American houses for sale, these owners are not afraid of color.

The orange kitchen and green dining room.

by Anonymousreply 13October 25, 2020 2:53 AM

Oh, I absolutely love it-- everything! I think it's my favorite Tasteful Friends home ever. Even the more formal rooms like the dining room look so "live-able." Comfy, cozy, and completely charming.

by Anonymousreply 14October 25, 2020 3:19 AM

Exquisite! I don't know what it's condition was before the remodel, but after having watched Restoration Home & all of the amazing technologies (ancient and contemporary) required to bring back structures, it seems to have been very well done; I especially like the ceilings, & feeling of comfort, rather than being just some pretentious big house.

I'd move in tomorrow!

by Anonymousreply 15October 25, 2020 5:22 AM

Love it. Love it all.

by Anonymousreply 16October 25, 2020 6:27 AM

I find it creepy.

by Anonymousreply 17October 25, 2020 9:01 AM

Beautiful place, not absolutely completely my taste, but pretty close, and I'd happily move in and live in it as is. I love the colour just about everywhere, and the chintz curtains. They havent tried in the slightest to make it look modern or contemporary, thank God. Thats fantastic

by Anonymousreply 18October 25, 2020 9:15 AM

Does it come with Sam Heughan?

by Anonymousreply 19October 25, 2020 9:32 AM

It is kind of creepy, but in the best way. It's been well maintained & not stripped of it's charm.

Sigh, I'd love to live in Scotland, though I'd rather live in some isolated, crumbling castle close to the sea where I could ramble around all day, drinking port and generally acting like Lord of the Manor

by Anonymousreply 20October 25, 2020 10:34 AM

7 bedrooms and only 2 full bathrooms? No.

by Anonymousreply 21October 25, 2020 10:40 AM

R21, I thought that. I think A few bedrooms would need en suites added to make it completely liveable. Would take some careful work not to take away from the charm of the house though.

by Anonymousreply 22October 25, 2020 10:49 AM

Question for UK DLers: aside from the cost & logistics of trying to add plumbing to a 17th century home, what types of controls do people have to contend with to make significant alterations to historical homes?

by Anonymousreply 23October 25, 2020 10:54 AM

I'm one lotto win away from purchasing this home.

by Anonymousreply 24October 25, 2020 10:54 AM

R23, it doesn’t say that it is a listed building. I would have thought it would be but if it isn’t then you can do almost anything you want to inside without much extra cost to the actual work. You don’t need special permission as far as I know. Scotland might be different from England and Wales however.

by Anonymousreply 25October 25, 2020 11:00 AM

Cozy house. Elegant. Very talented gardener - not the same old same old. Stately without being pompous.

by Anonymousreply 26October 25, 2020 11:07 AM

Edinburgh, South Australia

Edinburgh Island, Nunavut, Canada

Edinburgh, Mpumalanga, South Africa

Edinburgh, Indiana

Edinburgh, Ohio

by Anonymousreply 27October 25, 2020 11:10 AM

I see your point, R21. If I were building a small house, I would probably have a bathroom for each bedroom or something close (though for a 7-bedroom house, I would cut some corners and make guests share to some extent.) Two full baths is not the most luxurious allotment if you had 7 bedrooms filled with people.

But for me it's why I love the house. The house survived with few changes and had some maintenance issues. Its painted ceilings (painted with egg tempera, no less) were described in the 19th Century. It was vacant off and on and marginally looked after for a couple periods in the last couple decades (I think it was) before the current owners bought it a few years ago. It's obvious that the owners loved the house for what it was (not what it could be) and restored it accordingly -- to good condition, putting in new electrical throughout and some important but not flashy changes. They let the architecture speak for itself, and the fact that it maybe has too few bathrooms to maximize resale value, they lived with that.

They didn't take it completely apart and put it back together (using all new material as they always do), adding an indoor pool, 9 bathrooms, a tanning room, and a massive walk-out kitchen/conservatory. They didn't make any statements about life in the 21st Century (always translated as a glass and steel stairway.) For once, owners didn't go for the look of footballers and lottery winners.

Old houses built for rich families have loads of rooms in part because they had loads of people living with them: a whole extended family, two poor cousins who came to stay for two months and stayed on for 12 years, the tutor, and random visitors. Bedrooms were not exclusively bedrooms but used for multiple uses or a particular use; beds were brought and and broken down to make a store room or a school room into a bedroom for a time. Not many couples have six bedrooms in their house filled with guests and children and nurses and French tutors all through the year. They might pack their house at Fringe Festival or a family wedding or a big party, but otherwise not.

I could get by with the bathrooms in the house just fine. For two people it's a big house but not vast. There are times I might few a few guests rooms at once, but 7 all a time, that would be a special thing and people would make do just fine.

Some people want all the mod cons and only then worry about what the shell that houses them looks like. A smaller group of people care about the house itself and are willing to make lots of concessions in the mod cons department. The smaller group is shrinking, so I'm glad to see this house looking so good.

by Anonymousreply 28October 25, 2020 11:19 AM

Additional history of the house.

It is Category A listed, R25 (equivalent to Grade 1 in England and Wales.)

The painted ceilings were discovered only in 1956, under later plaster and lath—evidence of which you can see in the ghosts of stripes where the lath was attached. on the bottom surfaces of the beams.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 29October 25, 2020 11:24 AM

Creepy

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 30October 25, 2020 3:12 PM

OP The energy bills will bankrupt you, you'd need to heat it for at least 11 months of the year (possibly year round).

by Anonymousreply 31October 25, 2020 3:47 PM

R30, that is only the dovecote, which isn't even within the property, but has been left several meters away as a landmark of sorts.

I am not so sure about what you're saying, R31. The entire house has been remodelled and I'm sure that insulation and proper heating have been installed. Still, I imagine that the lower floors have been devoted to storage precisely for the reason you mention - since they are the oldest and potentially dampest part of the house, it's possible that cold could be an issue.

by Anonymousreply 32October 26, 2020 12:16 AM

R32 The OP's link had the house listed as 38 percent energy efficiency (Band F) and Scotland is bloody cold.

As it is listed the amount of insulation and heating you can fit is limited.

Fully done at a cost of possibly hundreds of thousands it gets to a band D.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 33October 26, 2020 2:08 AM

One 2 loos in that big place? My God anyone over 60 would get caught short every day.

by Anonymousreply 34October 26, 2020 2:22 AM

The bedspreads are to die for.

by Anonymousreply 35October 26, 2020 4:35 AM

I like it except for the bad art.

by Anonymousreply 36October 26, 2020 5:47 AM

Flawless

by Anonymousreply 37October 26, 2020 6:28 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!