Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Is the Catholic Church Saying That They'll Perform Ceremonies for Civil Unions?

I don't get what their coming out in favor of them means on their end.

by Anonymousreply 4October 24, 2020 11:22 PM

I think he's trying to approve of same sex couples (as in: No, they're not going to automatically burn in hell) stopping short of changing official church policy.

by Anonymousreply 1October 24, 2020 10:38 PM

Er, a church doesn't perform civil unions.

by Anonymousreply 2October 24, 2020 10:42 PM

We are still second class citizens in the eyes of the Catholic Church. They are way behind the Jews and numerous Protestant denominations.

by Anonymousreply 3October 24, 2020 10:53 PM

OP, it's a largely symbolic, yet immensely powerful gesture. Many prejudices have been enshrined in laws based on Christian homophobia (Scalia's "gay" dissents were all based on Catholic-Christian morality). With the Pope's statement, for which I am extremely grateful, much of the Christian dogma used to discriminate against gays now has legitimate authority to be attacked. I do wonder if part of the Pope's timing coincides with ACB's likely ascension to the Court. Now when that ghastly woman makes any anti-gay rulings, she at least will be at odds with her religious leader's remarks.

by Anonymousreply 4October 24, 2020 11:22 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!