Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Maria Bakalova should win the Oscar for Borat 2

It is a wonderful, funny, captivating, committed, and brave performance. I was amazed. My first reaction to the movie as the credits rolled was that Bakalova should get a nomination at the very least. Thoughts?

by Anonymousreply 18November 19, 2020 6:32 AM

Going to watch it tonight.

by Anonymousreply 1October 24, 2020 8:53 PM

I agree, OP. Initially, I was wondering who would take a role like that, to be treated like a punching bag in humiliating ways. However, she quickly began to hold her own and what could’ve been a one-dimensional character seemed like a fleshed-out human being.

by Anonymousreply 2October 24, 2020 9:06 PM

I actually agree, OP. In terms of a convincing performance, it's one of the best I've ever seen. I know it sounds stupid to be saying such a thing about such a silly film, but I was completely taken aback by her performance.

It's of course highly unlikely such a role would ever be considered for an Oscar but Bakalova really deserves one for this.

by Anonymousreply 3October 24, 2020 9:06 PM

Who?

by Anonymousreply 4October 24, 2020 9:06 PM

'Bakalova' sounds like a fake name.

by Anonymousreply 5October 24, 2020 9:07 PM

I tried to watch it last night, but it wouldn't load. Did anyone else have this problem? Everything else on Prime was playing fine.

by Anonymousreply 6October 24, 2020 9:10 PM

R6 hopefully it loads tonight. I’ve planned my evening around it. Yes, I know, loser...get a life etc. etc.

by Anonymousreply 7October 24, 2020 9:22 PM

The Melania movie had me laughing harder than anything I’ve seen all year.

by Anonymousreply 8October 24, 2020 9:25 PM

The debutant ball scene was excruciatingly funny. I couldn’t catch my breath I was laughing so hard.

by Anonymousreply 9October 24, 2020 9:56 PM

Totally agree! Her speech at the Women’s Republican Club was brilliantly done.

by Anonymousreply 10October 24, 2020 11:01 PM

I had no problem watching it on Prime last night. The movie was a bit boring but the actress did a great job.

by Anonymousreply 11October 24, 2020 11:08 PM

[post redacted because linking to dailymail.co.uk clearly indicates that the poster is either a troll or an idiot (probably both, honestly.) Our advice is that you just ignore this poster but whatever you do, don't click on any link to this putrid rag.]

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12October 24, 2020 11:15 PM

Heyy, she's Bulgarian like me!

by Anonymousreply 13October 24, 2020 11:22 PM

Finally watched this tonight. Totally agree OP

And the debutante ball scene was the hardest I've laughed in some time.

The clicker/ball and chain scene was great too

by Anonymousreply 14November 2, 2020 11:32 PM

Wasn’t it improvised and not scripted? Does that matter?

by Anonymousreply 15November 2, 2020 11:41 PM

R15, most of it was scripted. Also, the first Borat received a Best Original Screenplay Oscar nomination, so there’s recognition it’s not entirely improvised.

by Anonymousreply 16November 3, 2020 12:21 AM

I finally saw this and agree! Plus, she only had one take to do her scenes -- like the notorious Giuliani creepfest. One shot, that's it.

by Anonymousreply 17November 19, 2020 6:18 AM

She had to play a feral Eastern European child who transformed herself into a Fox News-type blonde AND both deliver scripted and improvised scenes ... and she did it well enough to get into the Trump White House without a credential. That's worthy of a nomination at the very least.

by Anonymousreply 18November 19, 2020 6:32 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!