Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Prince was a musical genius!

FunknRoll, Elvis, Hendrix - 2009 at the Montreux Jazz festival.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 18October 25, 2020 9:43 PM

That is open to debate, OP. I have always found that his voice was merely pleasant and rather on the small side. Also, while a few of his songs are lovely (Purple Rain), quite a lot of them are downright atrocious - his collaboration with Madonna, in particular, is one of the worst pieces of shit in history... And let's not even talk about 1999, Kiss, that monstrosity Batdance and Musicology, which are downright awful.

I think that he was very much a case of Beatle-esque hype and pretension.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1October 24, 2020 11:08 AM

When someone asked Eric Clapton what is was like to be the greatest living rock guitarist, he said "I don't know. Ask Prince."

by Anonymousreply 2October 24, 2020 11:19 AM

Loved him.

He also produced literally everything and every one

by Anonymousreply 3October 24, 2020 11:22 AM

To some degree I agree with you R1. I bought Prince's early albums and I thought he was very unique and talented but over the years I lost interest in him. That's why this 2009 gig in Montreux completely blew me away. I didn't know he had grown out of his awful 90s phase and had returned to his roots, yet still expanded his musical vision. He was in absolute top form during the two shows he did and of course he was one of the best guitarists in popular music.

His superbowl performance was amazing, he covered Hendrix there too.

by Anonymousreply 4October 24, 2020 11:32 AM

I love 1991 and Kiss.

by Anonymousreply 5October 24, 2020 11:35 AM

Ugh 1999, of course.^

by Anonymousreply 6October 24, 2020 11:35 AM

Shame R5! Your license to wear a purple bikini is revoked!

by Anonymousreply 7October 24, 2020 11:41 AM

Prince was also a genius at running game, and at making fun of himself.

He proved that it's all in the talk and the walk. You can look or sound as eccentric, androgynous, horny or as cheesy and over-the-top as you want, so long as you know what to say and do to make a woman feel naturally good about herself and about you.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8October 24, 2020 4:59 PM

He is ok, but 'music genius' is really stretching it.

by Anonymousreply 9October 24, 2020 5:01 PM

'Power Fantastic' is the most beautiful sex-ballad ever written. I think Prince even scared himself with how transcendent this one turned out.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10October 25, 2020 12:00 AM

Quite literally a genius. He was self-taught, played dozens of instruments, wrote all his own songs, did his own arrangements, and produced his own records. His first album came out when he was a teenager - played all the instruments, wrote all the songs.

I know a lot of classical musicians, and every one of them considers him to be the 20th/early 21st century equivalent of Mozart. I do too.

by Anonymousreply 11October 25, 2020 5:36 AM

He was a master guitarist and a musical visionary!

Little Red Corvette live, also from one of the Montreux concerts he did in 2009.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12October 25, 2020 9:23 AM

I can't recall any Prince melody. Hummability is important. Also he was icky looking.

by Anonymousreply 13October 25, 2020 10:57 AM

Sorry to hear of your profound deafness and blindness, R13.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 14October 25, 2020 11:04 AM

I love Prince, but signing the lead singer of Missing Persons to a recording contract with Paisley Park was not genius.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 15October 25, 2020 11:06 AM

He was a sexy little twink.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 16October 25, 2020 12:44 PM

Why didn’t Wendy Melvoin ever seem to feel weird about the fact that he was sexually obsessed with her twin sister? Not in a jealous way, obviously, but just in a, “hey, man, since we’re friends and collaborators could you maybe stop creeping on my sis?” sort of way.

And why did Prince prefer Susannah, anyway? Wendy was always the more talented and prettier one.

by Anonymousreply 17October 25, 2020 4:13 PM

Well, he's a talented amateur, perhaps. But a genius?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 18October 25, 2020 9:43 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!