Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

gurl, NO! The Strand Bookstore is in trouble.

They've been posting this message:

[quote]📣 We need your help. This is the post we hoped to never write, but today marks a huge turning point in The Strand's history. Our revenue has dropped nearly 70% compared to last year, and the loans and cash reserves that have kept us afloat these past months are depleted. We have survived so much in the past 93 years, and we are ready to fight against all odds to keep The Strand alive, but we cannot do it without book lovers like you.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 77October 31, 2020 11:57 PM

cont.

𝗪𝗵𝗮𝘁 𝗰𝗮𝗻 𝘆𝗼𝘂 𝗱𝗼 𝘁𝗼 𝗵𝗲𝗹𝗽? Share this post! Encourage your friends to shop with The Strand online or in person. Click the link in bio to shop Our (Kinda) Early Holiday Gift Guide. Give gifts (and gift cards) from The Strand.

"I’m going to pull out all the stops to keep sharing our mutual love of the printed word. But for the first time in The Strand’s 93 year history, we need to mobilize the community to buy from us so we can keep our doors open until there is a vaccine." - Nancy Bass Wyden, owner

by Anonymousreply 1October 24, 2020 3:06 AM

Nerd Girl is not impressed:

[quote]THE STRAND IS OWNED BY A MULTIMILLIONAIRE WHO TREATS HER EMPLOYEES LIKE GARBAGE

[quote]It’s not the only bookstore in NYC

and

[quote]Friendly reminder that the owner of the Strand, an indie bookstore, bought hundreds of thousands worth of Amazon stock during the middle of a pandemic

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2October 24, 2020 3:09 AM

I knew people who worked there back in the early 90s (fun, arty folks who were utterly unemployable everywhere else). And I heard stories that the owners were shit, basically, who did next to nothing for their employees.

But it's still worth supporting an independent bookstore when there are SO few left in NYC. It's kind of terrifying. And I have been looking forward, post-pandemic, to another long, leisurely browse in The Strand. I hope it's still there by then.

by Anonymousreply 3October 24, 2020 3:15 AM

I will cherish the dinosaur bookmark I purchased from there even more, if that is the case.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 4October 24, 2020 3:22 AM

More from local NYC news source.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5October 24, 2020 10:01 AM

More from local NYC news source.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6October 24, 2020 10:01 AM

Maybe they should have been less concerned about making me check my fucking bag every time I wanted to walk in throughout the 90s and more concerned with making a profit.

by Anonymousreply 7October 24, 2020 10:10 AM

Don't they do business online?

by Anonymousreply 8October 24, 2020 10:22 AM

Yeah, I had friends and acquaintances who worked there, as well, most of them briefly, and not a one of them had a good thing to say about the experience. I don't remember any of them mentioning the owners, but the recurring theme was that management was psychotic and had the attitude that they were doing the employees a favor by treating them like trash and actually paying them min wage for their labor.

I did meet a guy who had a slightly more prestigious job with them, sourcing some specific rare books for them, and he seemed much more content with the arrangement, but he was also kind of a creep.

by Anonymousreply 9October 24, 2020 10:27 AM

Notoriously shit employers if there's an kernel of truth to many articles over the past several years.

Nancy Bass Wyden the owner has trotted out her poor-mouth shtick again: please won't you help a poor woman owned business that's part of NYC history keeps its lights burning?

In 2011 disclosures for her husband, U.S> Senator Ron Wyden, his wife's assets were listed at between $12-56M from Strand related assets (link to 2015 article.) When her father died in 2018, hel left"personal assets" worth $25-26M, divided among his wife and Wyden. Wyden inherited the family business, $50,000 in cash, and a trust fund.

I don't know what the market for an historic 8-story commercial building at Broadway and E. 12th is, but maybe it's in her interests to find a way to keep the business afloat until she secures a fat payment for the building and retains some token presence as a bookshop -- my crystal ball view of what will happen to the Strand.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10October 24, 2020 11:01 AM

Awful stories emerging about my favorite bookshop.

by Anonymousreply 11October 24, 2020 11:03 AM

They won't make it, which is very, very sad. I don't care how many "bad stories" you've heard from your 'successful, educated, business-savvy' friends who worked there in the summer of 1987 -- it's essentially the last independent bookshop in Manhattan. If it can't weather the store, none of them can.

If the owner were truly atrocious, she would have sold the space to developers LONG AGO; she wouldn't have thrown tons of money into it, only to attempt to dump it during the worst real estate market in eons. Use some common sense, people.

by Anonymousreply 12October 24, 2020 3:30 PM

Forget Strand Bookstore, Astor Place barbershop is closing!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 13October 24, 2020 11:16 PM

Do not forget the Argosy Bookstore.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 14October 24, 2020 11:29 PM

You know advertising pays...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 15October 28, 2020 10:53 AM

Are there any glory hole peep booths remaining in Manhattan?

by Anonymousreply 16October 28, 2020 11:00 AM

They need to lower their fucking prices, then.

by Anonymousreply 17October 28, 2020 11:32 AM

I used to love the Strand and I bought and sold hundreds of books from them and to them back in the day.

But even if the senator's wife was not an evil and duplicitous owner, independent bookstores are a thing of the past, and Covid is only accelerating the inevitable.

It's like when past generations transitioned from steam engine power to the combustible gasoline engine. The same reason coal is a dying industry, the same reason big oil will die as renewables take over.

Web-based sales became the preferred method of buying books and many other goods years ago, and the pandemic is closing the deal.

I'm sorry they are closing for reasons of nostalgia, but the world is moving on.

by Anonymousreply 18October 28, 2020 11:51 AM

The Strand gave me the hives. I know very well how to browse in a public or university library. It's free, ecological, and the books are better.

by Anonymousreply 19October 28, 2020 11:55 AM

I'm amazed they've hung on this long. I guess, if the above comments are correct, they did it by treating their employees poorly.

I used to love an independent bookstore in South Florida called Hittel's. The owner himself was always there and friendly and knowledgeable. Many cool and obscure items. It had its last gasp about ten years ago. Time marches on.

by Anonymousreply 20October 28, 2020 1:11 PM

Just watched The Booksellers on Amazon Prime this weekend, a 2019 documentary on Independent books stores in NYC that was launched in March just as Covid-19 emerged. It was executive produced by Parker Posey and far from being a celebrity vanity piece is was very well done. The Strand is part of it as was Argosy, both of which were one of the few who survived in the past because they owned their buildings. Real estate is destiny very much in NYC. The book fairs are also a central point of it and a highlight, especially how they are very slowly evolving with an influx of female and more diverse dealers. It is very extensive and thankfully captures what was happening right before the pandemic which will most likely never be the same. Sage New York aesthete Fran Lebowitz is injected every ten minutes or so to throw off a bon mot and add insight and humor.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 21October 28, 2020 1:37 PM

For those who may not have Prime or want to know more about the Booksellers, Variety did a very nice review of it.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 22October 28, 2020 1:47 PM

[quote]independent bookstores are a thing of the past

Not where I live, where people appreciate and support them more than ever. Some are thriving. N+1 actually had a long article last year about a revival of indie bookstores all over the United States, with even a few new ones opening. I personally haven't used Amazon for books in over 6 years (and regret I didn't start ordering from local bookstores much earlier). I know quite a few people who are the same.

by Anonymousreply 23October 28, 2020 1:54 PM

Last time I went there around 2 years ago . Fellow shoppers so rude , I cussed several out . Including the one who blocked the aisle .

by Anonymousreply 24October 28, 2020 1:57 PM

I just tried to order and apparently they've been inundated with orders and had to shut down online ordering. Great job! I'm not from NYC, but I love the Strand.

by Anonymousreply 25October 28, 2020 2:39 PM

Fuck that store.

If they can’t make it there, they can’t make it anywhere.

It’s up to you New York to put them out of their misery.

by Anonymousreply 26October 28, 2020 2:43 PM

I've always said that the Strand closing would be the thing that would finally make me consider leaving NYC, that the city was finally well and truly dead. And here we are....

by Anonymousreply 27October 28, 2020 2:51 PM

I bought my friend Leo a ton of books there.

by Anonymousreply 28October 28, 2020 2:56 PM

They now sell a lot of knick knacks, like socks, tote bags, accessories etc besides books.

I had friends who worked there while attending college way back when....and they all said the owners are CHEAP CHEAP CHEAP FUCKS.

This is a good place to find good xmas gifts. seen many actors and celebs in the store.

by Anonymousreply 29October 28, 2020 2:58 PM

[quote] For those who may not have Prime or want to know more about the Booksellers, Variety did a very nice review of it.

A documentary about independent bookstores streaming on Amazon Prime? Would that be considered irony?

by Anonymousreply 30October 28, 2020 3:01 PM

[quote] independent bookstores are a thing of the past

They can survive and thrive, but they need to carve out a niche and/or be very focused on their community.

Big stores with massive amounts of stock, whether big box stores or indies, are the ones that are endangered.

by Anonymousreply 31October 28, 2020 3:02 PM

[quote]it's essentially the last independent bookshop in Manhattan

Support them only because they're the last man standing? Nah. People and companies need to earn their support.

by Anonymousreply 32October 28, 2020 3:03 PM

Jeff Bezos should buy it.

by Anonymousreply 33October 28, 2020 3:12 PM

[quote]I've always said that the Strand closing would be the thing that would finally make me consider leaving NYC, that the city was finally well and truly dead. And here we are....

Where are you gonna go, gurl?

by Anonymousreply 34October 28, 2020 3:22 PM

Indies haven't had it easy with COVID, but before the pandemic they were expanding and new ones were opening. DC has new stores and expansion by existing stores. Even in Cleveland with a less robust economy, indies have expanded.

by Anonymousreply 35October 28, 2020 3:54 PM

[quote] Even in Cleveland

Et tu, Akron?

by Anonymousreply 36October 28, 2020 4:10 PM

I can't tell you how bad the bookstore situation in London is.

by Anonymousreply 37October 28, 2020 4:13 PM

I can tell you about book shops in London!

by Anonymousreply 38October 28, 2020 4:27 PM

What’s going on in London?

by Anonymousreply 39October 28, 2020 5:02 PM

The people who work there are always nice yet seem miserable inside.

by Anonymousreply 40October 28, 2020 5:09 PM

[quote]Sage New York aesthete Fran Lebowitz is injected every ten minutes or so

Pics please.

by Anonymousreply 41October 28, 2020 5:19 PM

I got an email today from Shakespeare & Co in Paris saying they were in trouble - they cited sales 80% down since March, and asked people to order off their web site.

by Anonymousreply 42October 28, 2020 5:19 PM

lol whats a book ??

by Anonymousreply 43October 28, 2020 6:18 PM

Well the Strand might be saved, but fresh local NYC news doesn't paint a very pretty retail/economic picture. Hotel Plaza Athénée is closing permanently, and Ralph Lauren shops are laying off staff

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 44October 29, 2020 1:28 AM

I got my most recent Strand order today. Price and delivery were comparable to Amazon's.

by Anonymousreply 45October 29, 2020 1:31 AM

This made news in my hometown in Oregon because the owner of The Strand, Nancy Bass, is the wife of Oregon Senator Ron Wyden (I had no idea). I went to graduate school in NY and visited The Strand occasionally, though I was (and still remain) partial to my local Powell's Books, which always seemed to have a bigger selection.

by Anonymousreply 46October 29, 2020 1:57 AM

I used to go there all the time when I lived in NYC in the 80s. I loved it. It had everything I wanted every single time - when I moved back to London I had to go from shop to shop looking for things.

Book stores were always better in NYC than London - all the bookstores.

We were much better at record stores - finally, NYC got a few of our record stores, HMV and Virgin.

& record stores in NYC BEFORE Tower was truly pathetic.

by Anonymousreply 47October 29, 2020 2:02 AM

Vronman's Bookstore has sent out a similar message to its customer base. Says they're hurting for money and asks people to consider buying the books they intend to give as Christmas presents NOW rather than waiting until December.

FYI Vroman's in the best independent bookstore in the Los Angeles area. The Vroman's store is located in Pasadena on Colorado Blvd., but they also run the Book Soup store on the Sunset Strip in West Hollywood.

by Anonymousreply 48October 29, 2020 2:10 AM

[quote]Book stores were always better in NYC than London - all the bookstores.

There's much truth to that, with a few exceptions. Heywood Hill holds its own, certainly, and sells new, used, and antiquarian books (which used to be done well by more London booksellers.)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 49October 29, 2020 9:17 AM

This is a nice little segment on the best London bookshops:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 50October 29, 2020 9:43 AM

Books printed on porous paper and thumbed through by strangers aren’t too appealing now that China has gifted us with COVID.

by Anonymousreply 51October 29, 2020 10:03 AM

If the woman who owns it is evil and massively wealthy why would anyone support it and her?

by Anonymousreply 52October 29, 2020 11:43 AM

R52: She's one of those women who, when the place is successful it's the sun shining on her business acumen and her hard work and her magnanimity and sacrifice toward the great city of New York, but when her workers want to organize or the world economy takes a serious downturn, it's the workers' fault and her customers' fault for not contributing their part to keeping the engine running.

The Strand is an important personal landmark to many, one of the last remnants of an old New York that no longer exists or is vastly different for people who lived in the over different decades. The owner likes when that affection shines brightly upon The Strand and makes enough money to support her "sacrifice." When day turns to night and she has to reach into her own pocket to keep the place afloat, she gets cranky and greedy.

by Anonymousreply 53October 29, 2020 12:04 PM

I can’t fucking stand the assholes who work there. Always rude, socially awkward, pretentious. Ugly to boot.

Though I am concerned for other stores I love, like Word and Books are Magic In Brooklyn, this place can go sukit for all I care.

by Anonymousreply 54October 29, 2020 12:17 PM

[quote]I can’t fucking stand the assholes who work there. Always rude, socially awkward, pretentious.

Tell me about it!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 55October 29, 2020 1:28 PM

[quote]I can’t fucking stand the assholes who work there.

Did you see this, R54?...Miss Snooty Pants at the beginning of this trailer >

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 56October 29, 2020 1:31 PM

When it comes to books and book stores, France has got nearly everyone else beat. The French love themselves some reading material. There are even popular talk shows on television such as La Grande Librairie (you can watch this program in NYC on CUNY-TV). Host of that program François Busnel, is sort of a French media superstar.

by Anonymousreply 57October 29, 2020 9:46 PM

Forgot link!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 58October 29, 2020 9:46 PM

One of the biggest scandals (among many real estate related in this city) was closing of Rizzoli Book store on Fifth Avenue.

Landmarks and Preservation Commission will designate any rat hole a "landmark", but the St. James building wasn't worth saving in their opinion.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 59October 29, 2020 9:50 PM

[quote]There are even popular talk shows on television such as La Grande Librairie (you can watch this program in NYC on CUNY-TV). Host of that program François Busnel, is sort of a French media superstar.

We don't have a single book show on British TV these days. Everyone quite rightly hates the BBC now. They should be ashamed.

by Anonymousreply 60October 29, 2020 9:50 PM

[quote]When it comes to books and book stores, France has got nearly everyone else beat.

I seem to remember Boston was pretty fucking good for bookstores.

by Anonymousreply 61October 29, 2020 9:52 PM

hen you have the hordes of students from post graduate on down that use book stores for their homework and or various assignments. Just pull a book off shelves and start doing "research"....

Homeless camp out stinking up the place, and or for use of bathrooms (which they literally treat as just that at times, going in there and bathing..."), while they set up camp for entire time store is open.

Then of course you have theft, tons of it as many books simply go walkabout.

by Anonymousreply 62October 29, 2020 10:02 PM

Sounds like you should continue buying your books at Barnes and Noble in the 'burbs, r62

by Anonymousreply 63October 29, 2020 10:13 PM

[quote] But even if the senator's wife was not an evil and duplicitous owner

Senator?

by Anonymousreply 64October 29, 2020 10:14 PM

Try not charging $6 for a 20 year old used paperback . That cost $1.49 new .

by Anonymousreply 65October 29, 2020 10:34 PM

Here's Nancy's financials

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 66October 29, 2020 10:42 PM

R66, I don't begrudge Nancy Bass Wyden her wealth. But it's just not good form to accept a PPP loan that she will probably expect to be forgiven while crying "poor me," asking for others to help out a very rich woman who seems never to have gone too far out of her way to help her employees; who speaks always of The Strand as a vital part of NYC history, a landmark, yet fought historic status from Landmark Preservation Commission; who wants her cake and to eat it, too.

Poor, put upon Nancy Bass Wyden, always sacrificing for the city and what does she get out it besides $12-56M in the bank and an annual income of $2.5M? Won't you help her, please?

by Anonymousreply 67October 30, 2020 10:46 AM

Bookstores, esp. ones with used books always have staff who are gruff. They're part of the ambience, along with book store cats (who still turnup from time to time).

by Anonymousreply 68October 30, 2020 3:23 PM

[quote]We don't have a single book show on British TV these days

Are you a liar, or just ignorant?

by Anonymousreply 69October 30, 2020 3:34 PM

The worst people in the world are used record store people. Especially here in London. There's one particular place which has the nastiest staff I've ever come across. I've been going since 1977, when I was a kid Still, they astound me.

Most of the staff are straight acting/appearing, unattractive gay men - who in America would look like the people who attend Trump rallies.

The only reason I know they're gay is because from time to time they seem to check me out or point me out to one another. On those days they're a bit nicer, but the str8 ones and the gay ones are as actively nasty as each other. . and look the same.

by Anonymousreply 70October 30, 2020 3:35 PM

[quote]Are you a liar, or just ignorant?

Are you a cunt or just cunty?

by Anonymousreply 71October 30, 2020 3:38 PM

R71 Didn't answer the question, did you? There are two book shows on British television airing at the moment, so again - were you lying or just ignorant of that fact?

by Anonymousreply 72October 30, 2020 3:40 PM

You didn't answer mine either.

by Anonymousreply 73October 30, 2020 3:45 PM

Ok, y'all can stand down now; Strand received 25K of orders thanks to their appeal......

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 74October 31, 2020 11:38 PM

[quote] Forget Strand Bookstore, Astor Place barbershop is closing!

Maybe they didn’t watch their head, r13.

by Anonymousreply 75October 31, 2020 11:55 PM

[quote] sells new, used, and antiquarian books

Oh that’s just silly. Who wants to read a book under water?

by Anonymousreply 76October 31, 2020 11:56 PM

No, r76, antiquarian books are books about horses.

by Anonymousreply 77October 31, 2020 11:57 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!