Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Life isn't the same without an audience

Have you noticed that?

The reason why ratings on almost every televised event is down, is because there is no audience.

Sports, debates, entertainment awards shows.... all of it.

Networks are trying to resume life as normal, but with "social distancing" and no audience, but they have failed to realize that the audience is what actually makes an event exciting.

Whether it's the roar of the crowd at a football game, or the jeers at a debate, or the oohs and ahhhs at an awards ceremony.

You need an audience.

Without it, you have nothing.

Life will not get back to normal, until people can get together again.

by Anonymousreply 36November 23, 2020 4:47 AM

[quote]The reason why ratings on almost every televised event is down, is because there is no audience.

That's deep.

by Anonymousreply 1October 23, 2020 6:37 PM

award show ratings have been going down for YEARS before covid

by Anonymousreply 2October 23, 2020 6:38 PM

Thanks R1 for being the obligatory cunt!

by Anonymousreply 3October 23, 2020 6:38 PM

And I would like to buy the world a Coke.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 4October 23, 2020 6:41 PM

I'm okay without an audience. But with shows like The Real and The View hosts being remote, it's hard to take. They talked over each one when they were IN the studio. It's 10x worse when they're remote. There's the usual overtalk but then you have to deal with the delays. It's like being on Zoom meeting with my team!

by Anonymousreply 5October 23, 2020 6:44 PM

I don't like this new world.

China Virus has ruined everything.

by Anonymousreply 6October 23, 2020 6:44 PM

[quote]Life will not get back to normal, until people can get together again.

Gee, you just worked that out?

by Anonymousreply 7October 23, 2020 6:47 PM

If you watch anything on television R7, they're trying to make it seem as though everything is back to normal.

It's not.

But they would have you believe that it is.

by Anonymousreply 8October 23, 2020 6:48 PM

FATTARDS will scream at you for endangering their fat lives if you dare to get together!!!

by Anonymousreply 9October 23, 2020 6:49 PM

I really don't give a shit that not many people are interested in your Insta, OP.

by Anonymousreply 10October 23, 2020 6:52 PM

R10 hiding in her basement, under her covers, for the past 6 months.

by Anonymousreply 11October 23, 2020 6:53 PM

I worry that on Datalounge, no matter how cunty you become, it's never enough to keep up.

by Anonymousreply 12October 23, 2020 6:56 PM

OP is Madonna.

by Anonymousreply 13October 24, 2020 12:02 AM

I think ratings are down because a lot of people gave up cable to cut costs during the pandemic. Streaming numbers are huge. A lot of people can’t spend $200 bucks a month to watch content that didn’t come back until recently.

by Anonymousreply 14October 24, 2020 12:51 AM

Have you ever tried watching sports without an audience, R14?

It's not the same. At all.

So boring.

The crowd is what makes football games so exciting.

by Anonymousreply 15October 24, 2020 5:38 PM

I'm a musician. that and not being able to hug your colleagues after a "performance" is very heart breaking.

by Anonymousreply 16October 24, 2020 5:42 PM

[quote]I think ratings are down because a lot of people gave up cable to cut costs during the pandemic.

Aren't the four major networks still available over air in most markets?

by Anonymousreply 17October 24, 2020 5:51 PM

OMG, R13 - You read my mind. I was thinking of the scene in Truth or Dare when Warren Beatty is like, "What's the point of doing anything of camera? We live off camera, what's the point of existing if not on camera?" (something like that)

by Anonymousreply 18October 24, 2020 6:58 PM

As someone who was a child in the 60s and 70s, I thought I would never appreciate a TV comedy without a live audience or a laugh track, but after a while I did become used to it and was able to laugh without being prompted. Some things take getting used to when you’ve always been used to something else.

by Anonymousreply 19October 24, 2020 7:31 PM

It's not that life is not the same without an audience. It's that life is not the same with COVID-19.

Once the lockdown hit in March 2020 the outside world was shutdown: sports, movies, concerts, etc.

And what I learned was that things that were once so important were not as important anymore: the Emmys, the Triple Crown, etc.

Quite honestly I am tired of the overpaid and underperforming especially movie stars and athletes.

Hopefully we can get to a time when the Super Bowl is not more important than taking care of our own.

by Anonymousreply 20October 24, 2020 8:37 PM

Yes, you should go on Chaturbate, OP.

by Anonymousreply 21October 24, 2020 8:39 PM

[quote]Aren't the four major networks still available over air in most markets?

Yes. Aren't you loving the new fall schedule?

by Anonymousreply 22October 24, 2020 8:40 PM

All the world is a stage.

by Anonymousreply 23October 25, 2020 3:19 AM

No art is complete without an audience.

by Anonymousreply 24October 25, 2020 3:27 AM

I hate to bump a semi-old thread, but I actually think the VMAs did a really good job with this—simulating as if they had an audience in an empty soundstage with the visual effects was actually quite cool.

I agree about the lack of an audience tho...

by Anonymousreply 25November 21, 2020 1:30 PM

Yes, not enough good QI around.

by Anonymousreply 26November 21, 2020 1:33 PM

It's not just the performers missing the audience. We also like to watch events together, even with strangers beside us.

by Anonymousreply 27November 21, 2020 1:33 PM

Tell me about.

by Anonymousreply 28November 21, 2020 1:35 PM

R15 - I was watching a football game last night and noticed how the crowd was somehow always cheering - and not cheering more loudly at the times they should (successful pass and run, etc.).

Then stupid me figured out it was an audience track, but it was laughably and distractingly awful (college game).

It sucked.

by Anonymousreply 29November 21, 2020 1:47 PM

Fran Lebowitz has a commentary online somewhere, made before the pandemic, where she comments that the AIDS epidemic in the early 1980s decimated the audience and that damaged live performances. She said the presence of an audience who knew art made the performers better.

It’s an interesting theory that I haven’t heard elsewhere.

by Anonymousreply 30November 21, 2020 1:48 PM

R30 - I think you twisted up some of the quote. It doesn't make sense. I believe she said something that AIDS brought in a decline in some culture and quality and that it has left it with "Let's Make a Deal".

I don't think she said anything about audiences.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 31November 21, 2020 2:00 PM

I've heard that before. Performance artists like Penny Arcade too. It's also been said about gentrification. It hollowed out the right audience much like AIDS did.

by Anonymousreply 32November 21, 2020 2:01 PM

R31, no, I saw a video. She remarked, for example, if a ballot dancer had a tiny misstep, today’s audience might not notice, but the old audience would be on the phone the next day talking about it. We need our Addison DeWitts!

by Anonymousreply 33November 21, 2020 2:27 PM

R33 - well, to be honest, I think it's progress that people aren't on the phone about a dancer's tiny misstep.

by Anonymousreply 34November 23, 2020 4:11 AM

R30 got his chance to start the AIDS agenda for this thread. He waited 30 posts to trot that out.

by Anonymousreply 35November 23, 2020 4:37 AM

R34, OP is not R30. It is as if every thread now, somebody has to accuse two others of somehow being one person with some devious intent to amaze the self’s with [italic] subterfuge! [/italic] And there’re always wrong, too.

How about giving it a rest?

by Anonymousreply 36November 23, 2020 4:47 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!