Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

We are still acting too late when it comes to COVID-19

Why are we acting mostly when a surge happens? And easing restrictions is just putting us right back at square 1.

America is learning nothing

by Anonymousreply 43October 24, 2020 6:18 PM

Wear your stupid mask--it's that simple, but idiots wont do that.

The CDC says if we all just wore masks for 4-6 weeks, we could stop this in its tracks.

No, Americans are selfish pigs

by Anonymousreply 1October 23, 2020 2:20 PM

With the holidays coming up, all the family gatherings are going to be really bad. My own family just doesn’t listen.

by Anonymousreply 2October 23, 2020 2:24 PM

I wish we would be almost as strict as Wuhan was. And the government is doing a shit job. We should have a strict lockdown. Families should not be able to gather. What the fuck.

by Anonymousreply 3October 23, 2020 2:34 PM

well, Isn't Europe supposed to be better than the USA in terms of handling the virus? Their cases are sky rocketing again...what did they do wrong?

No politician or govt is gonna be able to get this under control perfectly...life doesn't work that way. And don't give me BS about New Zealand...nobody fucking lives there.

by Anonymousreply 4October 23, 2020 2:35 PM

They were fast to enact a strict curfew when the riots were happening. But they can’t enact a strict lockdown when thousands of people are going to lose their lives or be crippled? Really?

by Anonymousreply 5October 23, 2020 2:39 PM

R4 - please immediately contact the 5 million+ people who live in New Zealand and inform them they don't live there after all.

TIA.

by Anonymousreply 6October 23, 2020 2:44 PM

I’m accepting we are never going to be rid of this. My main concern is hospital overwhelm - which everyone seems to have forgotten is the primary issue. People getting sick from it is a fact of life - hospitals not being able to treat people is a human disaster. And we have done nothing to fix the issue - and still expect hospitals to pay for the cost of all care while sacrificing their other revenue that keeps them afloat, not the government.

by Anonymousreply 7October 23, 2020 2:47 PM

[quote]I wish we would be almost as strict as Wuhan was.

I would rather not live in an authoritarian police state.

by Anonymousreply 8October 23, 2020 2:49 PM

Yes, they should have done one big lockdown in the beginning for a couple of months and made it the same everywhere. Then it would have been a lot easier to stay on top of. But since there was no leadership, each state did or didn’t take action so now it’s a giant mess.

I am my own Wuhan...I rarely leave, never once without a mask, and only for things like the supermarket. Hopefully we get some actual federal leadership soon so that we can have a more serious, coordinated response.

by Anonymousreply 9October 23, 2020 2:53 PM

Let me guess - you're a Covid denier and anti-masker right R8?

74,301 new cases in the United States yesterday. Up 10K from the day before...

Not looking good. No vaccine in sight. But boohoo, R8 doesn't want to live in a police state!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10October 23, 2020 2:55 PM

To clarify, my point at r8 is that Wuhan-style shutdowns are only possible with an authoritarian regime to enforce them.

by Anonymousreply 11October 23, 2020 2:56 PM

r10 please see r11

by Anonymousreply 12October 23, 2020 2:58 PM

And no, I am not an "anti-masker" by any stretch of the imagination.

I am, however, a realist. American culture is very, very different than Chinese culture. (I have lived in China, by the way.) A Wuhan-type solution will simply not work in the United States. We can't get people to wear fucking masks. Good luck confining everyone to their homes until it's under control.

by Anonymousreply 13October 23, 2020 3:01 PM

We're the biggest dumbfucks to ever dumbfucked.

We're solely relying on a successful vaccine. And if we don't get one, expect meltdown on gigantic scale. And it's because we have no coping strategy. There is no plan other than vaccine, folks.

by Anonymousreply 14October 23, 2020 3:04 PM

The one thing I agree with that R8 has said is that Americans are uncooperative when it comes to masks. They are a lot harder to order around and don’t like to be told what to do. But since the biggest contrarians in this situation are on the right, a federal response from their cult leader would have gone a long way. Unfortunately he likes to play games with other people’s lives, and we wasted our window of opportunity to control things. Very discouraging.

by Anonymousreply 15October 23, 2020 3:05 PM

[quote] My own family just doesn’t listen.

I'm really not sure what to do, my Trump loving family is insisting on 30 + people indoor dinner for Thanksgiving.

by Anonymousreply 16October 23, 2020 3:10 PM

Not only did we not actually take the first step of a lockdown to ease flare ups, we aren’t tracking and tracing people. We aren’t being proactive. Many are going with having it and not getting tested and diagnosed.

Americans are too into conspiracies for any of these steps to be adequately enacted. The fact is the virus has largely been contained in China.

by Anonymousreply 17October 23, 2020 3:14 PM

R17 is spot on regarding the lack of our initial response. Trump never implemented the testing and tracing regime — not even the one he dragged the drugstore CEOs to the White House to promote — and testing is still too scarce, takes too long to get a result, and far to few people are getting tested. It's always easy to talk about our mistakes with 20/20 clarity, so instead, I'll talk about where we go from here:

By the time Biden is inaugurated, we'll be in the middle of the second wave, with 100,000 new cases daily and bouncing between 1500 and 3000 deaths per day. There's no point in trying to describe it as a red state/blue state thing any longer because it's going to be bad everywhere. Vaccine trials will already be on hold because they've been rushed through without proper protocols and controls, as we've seen with the two leading trials.

The only viable option will be to order mandated masks, and a shutdown of the entire country while the Federal government finally gets a leader who will make use of the levers of power (for something other than ripping suckling infants from their mother's teats) to manufacture PPE, set up testing and tracing, and providing the direct funding to citizens to save their jobs, homes, and lives while we get through what is going to be a horrendous, difficult and costly effort. This will make the roughly $6 trillion spent so far look like child's play.

Once we're through the grabbing the virus by its pussy part, we'll then have to move to a regional plan whereby hotspots are quarantined and locked down while the rest of the country gets back to work. This will go on for quite a while; probably, throughout 2021 and into 2022. However, if we'll all do our part and suffer through the lockdown that would have been far, far easier and quicker and less costly had we done it in March of 2020, we can have a return of some normalcy by Summer of 2021; we'll have a baseball season, kids will go back to school, and life can slowly return to cautious normal. Then, when the scientists and doctors finally do hit on the vaccine that works, it will take about 6 months and a lot of hard work, but we can vaccinate enough people to achieve real herd immunity (not the fake one suggested by Trump, wherein millions of people needlessly die only to discover there is no lasting immunity without a vaccine).

tl;dr: it's going to be the Summer of 2022 before normalcy returns, and that's if we elect Biden. If we re-elect Trump, we won't experience normalcy again until at least 2025 - 2027, probably longer, and possibly, ever.

by Anonymousreply 18October 23, 2020 3:43 PM

[quote]If we re-elect Trump, we won't experience normalcy again until at least 2025 - 2027, probably longer, and possibly, ever.

Okay ... I'll say it ... "MARY!!!!!"

If fourteenth-century Europe could return to normalcy after the Bubonic plague, 2020s America will return to normalcy at some point too.

by Anonymousreply 19October 23, 2020 3:48 PM

[quote] America is learning nothing

How dare you tell us what to learn!

by Anonymousreply 20October 23, 2020 3:50 PM

[quote]No, Americans are selfish pigs

European cases have exploded even more quickly than America's the past few weeks -- but I'm not sure if it's because Europeans are as selfish as we are or because they actually thought they had it beat and threw all caution to the wind. Stupid, either way.

by Anonymousreply 21October 23, 2020 3:51 PM

R16, you do realize that's going to be a cluster? Do you want to be a part of it? It all depends what your age is, whether you feel you've enjoyed enough of life already, whether there are people you see regularly without a mask that would you like to see fall ill, etc. It all depends. But that family gathering is going to be a cluster.

by Anonymousreply 22October 23, 2020 4:00 PM

R21

I know nothing about Europe and how they’re handling it. I’m American and notice a lot of shitty Americans unwilling to take precautions. Your pure deflection to Europe is bull.

BTW Europe is a continent not a country like the US.

by Anonymousreply 23October 23, 2020 4:19 PM

People don't care if other people die. That's the long and short of it.

by Anonymousreply 24October 23, 2020 4:30 PM

[quote]The CDC says if we all just wore masks for 4-6 weeks, we could stop this in its tracks.

Spain and Italy both had extreme lockdowns for that amount of time. Yet the virus was in no way stopped in its tracks.

[quote]The one thing I agree with that [R8] has said is that Americans are uncooperative when it comes to masks.

Mask wearing by country:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 25October 23, 2020 4:40 PM

[quote]People don't care if other people die. That's the long and short of it.

Sadly, I'm not all that surprised that people are indifferent to the life and death of strangers. The shocking thing to me is that they also don't seem to care if their own loved ones die.

by Anonymousreply 26October 23, 2020 4:42 PM

[quote]The only viable option will be to order mandated masks, and a shutdown of the entire country

Shutting down the entire country would be about the stupidest thing we could do.

by Anonymousreply 27October 23, 2020 4:42 PM

Mask wearing in the U.S.:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 28October 23, 2020 4:43 PM

I got you this for Christmas!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 29October 23, 2020 4:45 PM

Wait until not only the hospitals are stretched beyond capacity but there is also a shortage of refrigerated trucks to hold all the dead bodies. Luckily it will be winter in most of the US so that will help lessen the stench of rotting corpses being stockpiled in unimaginable ways.

NYC went through this and no one paid any attention or learned a fucking thing from it.

Stay the fuck home and when you absolutely must go out wear a mask.

by Anonymousreply 30October 23, 2020 4:51 PM

For fuck's sake, fattard OP! Just stay in your cave if you're scared of COVID and wait until the vaccine is ready for fat people!

Fucking let us healthy people live our lives, damn it. This is getting tedious and exhausting! Just wear mask and clean your hands with alcohol.

[bold]Lockdown:[/bold] 'We should never have been in lockdown'

[bold]Vulnerable and shielding:[/bold] 'All the people who were vulnerable should have been helped and kept home safe'

[bold]The economy:[/bold] 'How can we get the country on its feet? Money-wise? Where's all the money?'

[bold]The future:[/bold] 'By the end of this year there's going to be millions of people unemployed and you know who's going to pay for it? All the young ones. Not me because I'm going to be dead.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 31October 23, 2020 5:15 PM

[quote]I'm really not sure what to do, my Trump loving family is insisting on 30 + people indoor dinner for Thanksgiving.

And you're planning on attending this deathtrap r16?

by Anonymousreply 32October 23, 2020 5:23 PM

R3 America is not (going to say this in my Trump voice) CHI-NAH! Assholes keep going on about their rights and all that bullshit. They think the Constitution gives them the right to expose people to their Covid cooties.

by Anonymousreply 33October 23, 2020 5:25 PM

[quote] well, Isn't Europe supposed to be better than the USA in terms of handling the virus? Their cases are sky rocketing again...what did they do wrong?

People got complacent and stopped wearing masks. Always just about the masks

by Anonymousreply 34October 23, 2020 5:27 PM

[quote]I would rather not live in an authoritarian police state.

A friend who lives in Ireland says they are very strict with its lockdown, with police and public health officials following up daily if you test positive. Those in quarantine for possible exposure have to stay at home--and, yes, the police enforce it.

Ireland is hardly a police state but this is a pandemic that is threatening the world and its economy. if you want things to get to normal and people to stop being fearful, there have to be strongly enforced regulations

by Anonymousreply 35October 23, 2020 5:30 PM

[quote]Assholes keep going on about their rights and all that bullshit.

Conveniently forgetting that rights carry with them inherent responsibilities.

by Anonymousreply 36October 23, 2020 5:47 PM

When we shut down in late winter, the Trump's minions spun it as to not overwhelm the hospitals. That was the least of it. Scientists and epidemiologists said the shut down needed to be used to ramp up testing and set up contact tracing. Then we needed 2 weeks of declining cases. Yet here in Ohio, Dewine kept stalling on testing and saying we'd talk about contact tracing "another time" every damn day. We never had declining cases, let alone 2 weeks straight. There was no way out of this mess without everything being in place before we opened up. We were destined to fail.

by Anonymousreply 37October 23, 2020 6:01 PM

Testing 1 mil pop:

US: 392,325

Spain: 331,544

Germany: 243,007

Italy: 236,861

France: 220,557

Netherlands: 167,514

Canada: 248,323

by Anonymousreply 38October 23, 2020 6:31 PM

[quote]I'm really not sure what to do, my Trump loving family is insisting on 30 + people indoor dinner for Thanksgiving.

Umm ... don't go? Why would you want to expose yourself to TWO kinds of toxicity--Trump-loving and COVID-19?

Cut toxic people out of your lives.

by Anonymousreply 39October 23, 2020 6:47 PM

R39

A lot of people don’t have the option and are still living with family.

by Anonymousreply 40October 23, 2020 6:53 PM

Obesity is more toxic than COVID, yet people let themselves be so morbidly fat without any trepidation. Ridiculous.

by Anonymousreply 41October 23, 2020 11:18 PM

R41 obesity is not contagious.

by Anonymousreply 42October 24, 2020 6:13 PM

R41

Our government and capitalism/corporatism are to blame for obesity, just like they are to blame for not being proactive against COVID-19. Everything is about $$$$$. Junk food is everywhere and they have gotten most of the public hooked.

by Anonymousreply 43October 24, 2020 6:18 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!