Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Does Pete Buttigieg have a political future

The gay thing is a no no for a lot of voters

by Anonymousreply 91October 26, 2020 7:26 PM

He should try to run for Senate. Not a lot of hope for him in the state of Indiana. Sadly.

by Anonymousreply 1October 23, 2020 1:45 PM

Biden and Harris have big plans for him...

by Anonymousreply 2October 23, 2020 1:58 PM

Very impressed with Pete Buttigieg in this post-primary period, stumping for Biden and Democrats. He's very loquacious, understands everything, and has a good answer to every question. He reminds me of Bill Clinton, actually.

by Anonymousreply 3October 23, 2020 2:03 PM

A genius. Certainly he has a career in politics!

by Anonymousreply 4October 23, 2020 2:57 PM

Nope. He’s washed up. Finished. Finito!

by Anonymousreply 5October 23, 2020 3:04 PM

He has a political future if Biden/Harris win, but I don't think he will ever be President. Very few people get to be President so odds are against anyone becoming President. It will be a couple more generations before a gay male can get elected.

by Anonymousreply 6October 23, 2020 3:25 PM

I’m no Pete fan but he’d be great in congress. I can’t see Indiana electing a gay governor or senator. If he wants to go that route he’s better off moving somewhere like Illinois or Minnesota, somewhere slightly more liberal. Could be a good transition point after a few years in a cabinet-level role under Biden

by Anonymousreply 7October 23, 2020 3:28 PM

Democrats talk about diversity yet still can’t put anybody other than a straight white Christian male at the top of the ticket.

by Anonymousreply 8October 23, 2020 3:31 PM

You want to read that comment back to us, R8?

And then list for us how many Republican tickets every had anyone BUT a straight white Christian male at the top of the ticket?

What a fantastically stupid post.

by Anonymousreply 9October 23, 2020 5:15 PM

[quote]I can’t see Indiana electing a gay governor or senator. If he wants to go that route he’s better off moving somewhere like Illinois or Minnesota, somewhere slightly more liberal.

He owns a house now in Michigan. He’ll probably run for Congress from there.

by Anonymousreply 10October 23, 2020 5:23 PM

he's got a place in michigan, he might run for mihcigan offices soon

by Anonymousreply 11October 23, 2020 5:23 PM

He would make an excellent White House Spokesman

by Anonymousreply 12October 23, 2020 6:52 PM

Honestly, he doesn't seem to be a great politician. He couldn't even handle the black folk and police issue in South Bend ].

He seems more like a university professor who would be CNN's go-to expert on whatever his subject is.

by Anonymousreply 13October 23, 2020 6:58 PM

100%--I don't see him as a senator but he absolutely deserves roles in future administrations .

by Anonymousreply 14October 23, 2020 7:00 PM

White House Press Secretary would get him a lot of face time with the public. Or maybe Chief-of-Staff or Secretary of State or UN Ambassador (because he’s multilingual.)

by Anonymousreply 15October 23, 2020 7:01 PM

^^^ I can see him filling out those roles nicely. I'm sure Biden will know where to place him.

by Anonymousreply 16October 23, 2020 7:02 PM

He's going to be in Biden's administration, for sure. He'll be moving to DC.

by Anonymousreply 17October 23, 2020 7:03 PM

[quote]Honestly, he doesn't seem to be a great politician. He couldn't even handle the black folk and police issue in South Bend

He handled that issue adequately. Black people in South Bend didn’t have too much of a problem with him. It was media types like Joy Reid that spun it into “Pete Buttigieg is a racist.”

by Anonymousreply 18October 23, 2020 7:05 PM

[quote] I can see him filling out those roles nicely.

Did you mean holes?

by Anonymousreply 19October 23, 2020 7:16 PM

R19, both.

by Anonymousreply 20October 23, 2020 7:19 PM

Pete has a future as long as he permanently moves out of shithole Indiana.

by Anonymousreply 21October 23, 2020 7:21 PM

Something appointed? Absolutely. Something (major) elected? Not so much. He likes dick and that's a dealbreaker at the national level.

by Anonymousreply 22October 23, 2020 7:23 PM

R22, for now.

by Anonymousreply 23October 23, 2020 8:14 PM

It was harder for him running for President because no one had heard of him and he has a difficult last name. But if he gets a prominent position in a Biden administration and appears eminently competent he’ll have a promising future going forward—gay identity notwithstanding.

by Anonymousreply 24October 23, 2020 8:21 PM

Sure, he can win a senate seat from Indiana. The guy's a political genius.

by Anonymousreply 25October 24, 2020 6:56 AM

Yes R25, but he could hold his own in a national position easily, right now

by Anonymousreply 26October 24, 2020 5:01 PM

The "just gay" thing was a no no for a lot of "woke" voters, distressingly.

by Anonymousreply 27October 24, 2020 5:08 PM

[Quote] Yes [R25], but he could hold his own in a national position easily, right now

Too easy, too conventional

Easier for a governor to be POTUS.

Why work under mediocrities and corrupt hacks

People distrust DC and like outsiders

His vision is a unified heartland America

by Anonymousreply 28October 24, 2020 5:26 PM

He’s not progressive, which is alarming considering he’s a millennial. He’s not able to capture his own generation like AOC. He doesn’t get us. He’s a sellout

by Anonymousreply 29October 24, 2020 5:30 PM

I say that because we’re getting close to the years where we millennials will take over the government and be the most important voting bloc.

by Anonymousreply 30October 24, 2020 5:39 PM

Right left progressive Conservative... No longer relevant 20c thinking.

by Anonymousreply 31October 24, 2020 5:46 PM

R29 I think you are on to something. He seems very middle of the road (slightly listing to the right) and seems to be pandering to my generation and older.

I don’t think I’d vote for him for POTUS; however, he is definitely smart and I think that cane be used very effectively in certain places, perhaps a Cabinet position of some sort.

by Anonymousreply 32October 24, 2020 5:56 PM

I think everyone underestimates or discounts the historic nature of Pete's trajectory in the primaries. Pete won Iowa and it was a razor margin with Bernie in the other state (I forget which one it was). He didn't proceed because it was pulling votes from Biden who was already pre-selected to win and due to the systematic racism and homophobia from the black community. I would have really like to see him go the distance and see what those votes in SC would be instead of just guessing. He might have done better than what everyone was prediction. A lot of white women loved Pete. I think he will be back. I hope he doesn't fizzle out if Biden loses but he's young enough that he could come back in four years. What I really don't want is to see him going the way of CNN commentator. We did CNN, it's all gay men and women. There is a glass ceiling for gay men in politics and I hope Pete smashes it. He's as good a speaker as Obama and I think he would have made a fantastic president.

by Anonymousreply 33October 24, 2020 6:24 PM

[quote] He didn't proceed because it was pulling votes from Biden who was already pre-selected to win and due to the systematic racism and homophobia from the black community

Biden wasn't "pre-selected" to win.

by Anonymousreply 34October 24, 2020 6:29 PM

Pete was a gimmick in search of a message and personality. He’s a smarmy stuffed shirt with nothing interesting or surprising to say. I’ll hand it to him for his strong primary showing as a relative unknown - but then the field of losers he was among was historically weak. A stronger candidate wouldn’t have dropped out so easily - as much as I loathe Bernie at least he inspired his base of commies by slugging it out to the end. Pete is weak - and his “my generation” schtick will be old indeed when he’s in his forties asTrump prepares to leave office. He should probably switch parties as there’s no future for white men with the race-obsessed Democrats.

by Anonymousreply 35October 24, 2020 6:35 PM

F&F OP back to Breitbart.

by Anonymousreply 36October 24, 2020 6:36 PM

[R34] The fix was in for handsy gramps just as it was for Hillary. No question. The Dems’ neoliberal wing still controls the party.

by Anonymousreply 37October 24, 2020 6:40 PM

R37: The Democrats are now controlled by the radical left (AOC plus 3).

by Anonymousreply 38October 24, 2020 6:50 PM

He's hawt!

by Anonymousreply 39October 24, 2020 6:54 PM

[R38] They have a huge influence in the messaging but they don’t control things behind the scenes. They certainly didn’t put Biden in place. Dumb, divisive AOC said that she and Biden shouldn’t be in the same party. I don’t see AOC’s naive followers coming out to vote for Biden - just watch.

by Anonymousreply 40October 24, 2020 6:57 PM

I don't get it. We will defend and jump on bandwagons who don't give two fucks about the gay community, but we dismiss and hope for failure when one of our own makes it to the top. This is a big deal. One thing about black is that they definitely rally around and support anyone who makes in their community. We do not do the same. It's very Gore Vida "everyone time a friend succeeds, I die a little" on DL and the gay community as a (w)hole.

by Anonymousreply 41October 24, 2020 7:04 PM

He invented the cat.

by Anonymousreply 42October 24, 2020 7:39 PM

“He should probably switch parties as there’s no future for white men with the race-obsessed Democrats”

This is the only thing that is true in your post, r35. Anytime a woman or a black candidate dropped out of the race, all of the ire and fury was directed at Pete for still being in the race as a white gay man.

by Anonymousreply 43October 24, 2020 8:07 PM

[quote] The fix was in for handsy gramps just as it was for Hillary. No question.

Where is the evidence for your handy little conspiracy theory? I don't even like Biden, but after a certain point in the primaries, the democratic party knew he was a safer bet than anyone else.

by Anonymousreply 44October 24, 2020 8:29 PM

The elites wanted Biden or Warren. The briefly flirted with Bloomberg too. I think they’re the only ones that didn’t get negative press.

by Anonymousreply 45October 24, 2020 8:37 PM

If the elites wanted Warren, I think she would have done better than fourth or fifth. She couldn't even win her own state of Massachusetts.

by Anonymousreply 46October 24, 2020 8:41 PM

R46, They tried to make her happen but it just didn’t work. Don’t you remember the media commissioned day of mourning when she dropped?

by Anonymousreply 47October 24, 2020 8:44 PM

R13 The dem establishment was against Pete because it was Biden's time and media types like Joy Reid made it their mission to destroy him, along with the far-left Berners. So he was getting slammed from all sides without much basis for it, sadly.

by Anonymousreply 48October 24, 2020 8:48 PM

Pete isn’t the answer for the bind Democrats are in. Their Hobson’s Choice is to (A. Moderate their platform to appeal to Independent voters and dissident Republicans or (B. Go full on commie AOC and try to be a national left far party whose initiatives will destroy the economy and end in civil war. Pete can’t even acknowledge the schism, much less solve it. He wants everything both ways and that no longer seems viable. The Dems pushed things too far and there’s no going back. Every single one of the primary choices pledged free health care for illegal immigrants while also advocating for open borders - at a time when there’s a homeless crisis. This might win San Francisco but not America.

by Anonymousreply 49October 24, 2020 8:55 PM

The New York Times covered up Warren’s tracks but had no problems inventing “scandals” about Mayor Pete out of thin air (McKinsey anyone?)

by Anonymousreply 50October 24, 2020 9:00 PM

The Wine Cave thing was a total non-scandal. And all these attacks on Pete for being "corporate" are just dumb. Did the twitter brigade expect him to be some kind of granola hippie!?

by Anonymousreply 51October 24, 2020 9:03 PM

Warren was a terrible candidate and will thankfully never be president. Stating that you want a trans child to vet your Secretary of Education is strait-jacket adjacent rhetoric. Pocahontas is not only a colossal phony but she’s clueless about playing politics on a national stage. Dumb broad.

by Anonymousreply 52October 24, 2020 9:07 PM

[quote] The dem establishment was against Pete...

But he did get the coveted Kevin Costner endorsement, so there's that.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 53October 24, 2020 9:12 PM

[R53] The endorsement was predicated on burying a blow job story.

by Anonymousreply 54October 24, 2020 9:14 PM

[quote] "I call him Buttabeep, Buttaboop," Winfrey told The Hollywood Reporter. "The name's either going to really hurt or [really help] — I think it's going to help, actually." Sometimes, she says she just calls him "Butta."

[quote] "Last year, I would've wanted to sit down and have a conversation with Christine Blasey Ford. Right now, I'd probably want to sit down and talk to Butta," Winfrey told The Hollywood Reporter.

[quote] The Hollywood Reporter also asked Winfrey about her multi-year content partnership with Apple, in which they'll create "original programs that embrace her incomparable ability to connect with audiences around the world." Again, the conversation turned to Buttigieg.

Oprah was considering endorsing Pete, which was pretty major at the time. I didn't love the infantilizing of the name, but if he did have a hard name, so maybe she was trying to distill for her audience. I think he could have gone farther.

by Anonymousreply 55October 24, 2020 9:18 PM

[R55] if a white candidate talked about a black candidate so flippantly it would have been a major issue. As usual, Oprah was playing white people with money. That’s how she became a billionaire. She and Obama are cut from the same cloth.

by Anonymousreply 56October 24, 2020 9:27 PM

[R55] At the Dem convention Julia LD made a joke about clueless white Americans being unable to pronounce Kampala’s “exotic” name. The usual hypocrisy.

by Anonymousreply 57October 24, 2020 10:03 PM

He'll never be president but he could certainly get a high profile cabinet position or something in Congress(senator, representative).

by Anonymousreply 58October 24, 2020 10:14 PM

Kamalas name wasn’t butchered as often or as badly as Pete’s was and is on a daily basis. Kamala is a major homophobic twat.

by Anonymousreply 59October 24, 2020 10:14 PM

R45: Biden luckily got the nomination because Warren stayed in the race for an extra day or two.

by Anonymousreply 60October 24, 2020 10:15 PM

R60, Yup and she took a 10 million dollar billionaire super pac to do it.

Only she could have been so outrageously hypocritical and escaped media scrutiny for it.

by Anonymousreply 61October 24, 2020 10:20 PM

R61: Also Bernie was too scary and communist for the Washington Elites. I do give Buttigieg credit for getting as far as he did. Winning Iowa for somebody relatively unknown and openly gay.

by Anonymousreply 62October 24, 2020 10:24 PM

Buttplug should have reassured moderate and largely white Dems that they aren’t funding a cultural revolution whose platform relies on their extinction.

by Anonymousreply 63October 24, 2020 11:25 PM

[quote]I say that because we’re getting close to the years where we millennials will take over the government and be the most important voting bloc.

Yeah. Good luck on thinking that millennials will take over the government anytime soon. The average age of a current Senator is 84.

by Anonymousreply 64October 24, 2020 11:28 PM

Taking things over to what end? Please restore my confidence in your judgement.

by Anonymousreply 65October 24, 2020 11:50 PM

[quote]Kamala is a major homophobic twat.

You’re wrong. She’s the most progressive person in the Senate on LGBT issues. She literally performed gay marriages in San Francisco.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 66October 24, 2020 11:50 PM

[quote] The average age of a current Senator is 84.

62 lol.

by Anonymousreply 67October 24, 2020 11:51 PM

[R66] I hope you realize how ridiculous Kamala Harris is - she’s Biden’s Sarah Palin.

by Anonymousreply 68October 24, 2020 11:53 PM

Oprah Uma Uma Oprah.

by Anonymousreply 69October 24, 2020 11:53 PM

Kamala Harris is a whore in every sense of the word and her alliance with Joe Biden - who she condemned as racist during the debates - brings it all home. She’s a bully - and an ignoramus.

by Anonymousreply 70October 24, 2020 11:56 PM

R66, It's called pandering, hon. What do you expecr from a SF politician? Lets not forget that she used Buttigieg sexuaity against him to score political brownie points.

by Anonymousreply 71October 24, 2020 11:59 PM

Pete has proved his usefulness to the Party by his excellent support for Biden. There will be an award. Apparently Beto has done some good work in Texas for Biden as well in getting out the vote. There may be a job for him in DC as well.

by Anonymousreply 72October 25, 2020 1:22 AM

[quote] He’s not able to capture his own generation like AOC. He doesn’t get us. He’s a sellout

AOC is not the be-all, end-all of millennial politics, and we are not all of one single mind nor opinion, my dear.

by Anonymousreply 73October 25, 2020 6:38 PM

AOC is just a mouth and nothing more. When she actually passes good legislation instead of trying to pass some BS like the "green new deal", maybe then I'll care. I find it so amusing that people put so much faith in her. Anyone can talk big for the cameras, it's what's done behind closed doors that counts.

by Anonymousreply 74October 25, 2020 6:42 PM

He’s obviously getting a juicy appointment in a few months.

by Anonymousreply 75October 25, 2020 7:27 PM

He certainly has the intellect but he's really not a great politician. He seemed very robotic when he was campaigning and even the people of South Bend can't stand him. He struggled to answer how minorities experience racism in America.

by Anonymousreply 76October 25, 2020 8:50 PM

Somebody who definitely doesn't have a political future: Bill de Blasio aka worst NYC mayor ever. After his short, failed presidential bid, he knows it. He thought he'd have a dynasty with Chirlane as Brooklyn Borough President and then Dante as mayor in 2030s something.

by Anonymousreply 77October 25, 2020 8:54 PM

[R76] I’m annoyed with this claim of his “intellect” - this purported intellect doesn’t express itself through verbal dexterity or humor or a commanding grasp of issues. He hasn’t published a serious, intellectual book or given a single memorable speech. He promotes no overarching, future oriented idea. He’s simply a gay man selling the same party line. This reminds me of Hillary and Obama - both of whom were touted as “intellects” but neither of whom had a single accomplishment to back up such an assertion.

by Anonymousreply 78October 25, 2020 8:56 PM

R77, I think De Blasio will end up being as forgotten as David Dinkins. I can already see it now--"De Blasio? De Blasio who? What is that!?".

by Anonymousreply 79October 25, 2020 9:30 PM

[quote]This reminds me of Hillary and Obama - both of whom were touted as “intellects” but neither of whom had a single accomplishment to back up such an assertion.

Hillary’s problem wasn’t a lack of intellect. Rather it was decades of poor judgment and bad decisions.

by Anonymousreply 80October 25, 2020 9:33 PM

He may not be great politician but he came out from Hicksville with no name recognition and shot to the front ranks in 2 months. I like this kind of non-politician and I want him to stay that way. Our run of the mill politicians suck ass.

by Anonymousreply 81October 25, 2020 10:23 PM

Politicians are the scum of the Earth. All they do is fight on behalf of the people that got them elected(Wall Street, Big Tech, billionaires, etc).

by Anonymousreply 82October 25, 2020 11:32 PM

Pocahontas is such a phony. She claims to hate Wall Street and big banks but billionaires got her elected to the Senate.

by Anonymousreply 83October 25, 2020 11:35 PM

R78 -- who is an example of a modern intellectual with overarching, future-oriented ideas?

by Anonymousreply 84October 26, 2020 6:30 AM

[R84] Douglas Murray is a genuine gay intellectual who'd wipe the floor with Pete in any argument - he's on the academic side. Elon Musk is a man of great imagination and industry with big, future-oriented ideas who has the ability to inspire and motivate. Little mealy-mothed, Far Left-talking points Pete ("We need to act on climate change and systemic racism!") looks quite small and ridiculous next to either of them. Unfortunately neither Murray or Elon is likely to seek elected office (Murray being in the U.K.).

by Anonymousreply 85October 26, 2020 2:58 PM

The fact of Pete's homosexuality rank low on a scale of why he lost the 2020 primary. His relative inexperience on a national stage as a small city mayor, and his lack of any progressive bona fides as the youngest candidate in the race, played much larger roles in why voters didn't choose him. He's a conservative Democrat who makes the older voters he would need in his coalition wary, and younger voters wary for the reasons R29 lists.

by Anonymousreply 86October 26, 2020 3:09 PM

[R86] Progressive can't win national elections - that's why Biden is the Dem nominee and it's why Warren performed so miserably. Once the general public listens to crazy notions like the New Green Deal - which wasn't even designed by people familiar with the energy industry, technology, geopolitics or how an industrial economy operates - they run away as fast as they can. AOC gets a lot of publicity but no one with brain takes her seriously - except as a menace.

by Anonymousreply 87October 26, 2020 4:28 PM

A lot of people found his flowery language to be too off-putting.

by Anonymousreply 88October 26, 2020 4:33 PM

If Pete had the balls and character to explain why he disagreed with a plan like the New Green Deal I might have grown to have some respect for him and even considered voting for him. But he didn't - instead he pandered and went along with the "moderates" who are irrationally terrified of AOC and her band of crazies. While I can imagine him ass-kissing his way into Congress or the Senate at some point he's not a person of any great stature or character. He can fuck off to South Bend and stay there.

by Anonymousreply 89October 26, 2020 4:37 PM

He's young and needs more political experience if he ever decides to run for president again. The media tried to promote him as the white Obama but I think he ultimately came across as bland and too much of an Ivy League snob. Obama and Clinton were naturally talented orators and that got them elected. Obama truly was the last great superstar of the Democratic Party and Pete just didn't have that spark.

by Anonymousreply 90October 26, 2020 7:15 PM

He has a future ramming his fat Maltese dick in my hole.

by Anonymousreply 91October 26, 2020 7:26 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!