Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Why did Nicole Kidman's career go straight down the shitter?

She was heralded an acting prodigy at home, then was briefly a Hollywood underdog who became a reigning Queen. How did Nicole Kidman reach such highs in her career and then lose it?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 54October 25, 2020 2:37 PM

Love BMX Bandits. I thought Nicole was channeling Kylie Minogue in Neighbours. The first line directed to her, as she collects shopping trolleys outside a supermarket, is something like 'What's up Moll?'

by Anonymousreply 1October 22, 2020 1:14 PM

I know I left out a comma, but I'm tired.

by Anonymousreply 2October 22, 2020 1:16 PM

Kylie probably based her character on early Nicole Kidman to a degree, as Nic was a soap star first.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3October 22, 2020 1:29 PM

Looks pretty good with the red hair on her new project The Undoing.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 4October 22, 2020 1:34 PM

I loved her in "To Die For" and "The Others".

by Anonymousreply 5October 22, 2020 1:36 PM

Her career didn’t go down the shitter but she’s not a great actress and she’s getting old. She has to produce her own material to stay alive in the business.

She is fucking overexposed though. Is there some sort of law that says she has to be in every other movie?

by Anonymousreply 6October 22, 2020 1:37 PM

She’s a good actress. Hated her in “Big Little Lies” (what a fucking fraufest!), though.

It’s tragic what she’s done to her face and hair. She should do a Sissy Spacek and leave us with our memories of her good work.

by Anonymousreply 7October 22, 2020 2:06 PM

I too think she is a great actress and her career is doing well enough. Unlike other actresses, she does not always play safe and took some risky roles. But she is entering Madonna’s territory platiscwise.

by Anonymousreply 8October 22, 2020 2:10 PM

It wasn't that long ago she won an Emmy for Big Little Lies...she also received a couple of Oscar nominations within the past 10 years...

Her wigs make her look ridiculous (which is a shame because her face has recovered from the cosmetic procedures), but she still lands some choice roles.

by Anonymousreply 9October 22, 2020 2:18 PM

Nicole is currentely in Australia working on another David E. Kelley miniseries in Byron Bay, Nine Perfect Strangers.

The show is about nine Australians from different walks of life attend a pricey 10-day "Mind and Body Total Transformation Retreat" at a place called the Tranquillum House run by a mysterious Russian woman named Masha (played by Kidman).

Nicole was given a special allowence by the NSW Premier Gladys Berejiklian to to self isolate at her sprawling Southern Highlands home instead of a hotel. The fact that Kidman plans to spend $100 million to produce a TV series in NSW strikes some as a “pay-to-play” exchange.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10October 22, 2020 2:31 PM

I picked Eyes Wide Shut. Because of Kubrick's legacy that movie will be seen for generations.

by Anonymousreply 11October 22, 2020 2:37 PM

Exactly, R9. It baffles me that people are still stuck on these 2005 ideas of Nicole Kidman, as if nothing has changed since everyone kept repeating how she does too many flops and too much Botox. Kidman hasn't chased mainstream box office success in years, apart from the occasional paycheck supporting role. The days of Bewitched and The Stepford Wives are long gone, and even then she was still doing Birth and Dogville.

Kidman found her niche as a prestige actress who works with interesting people like Yorgos Lanthimos and Sofia Coppola, even when the projects are guaranteed to make little money. Some projects will break through more than others (Big Little Lies, Lion), but no one does The Killing of a Sacred Deer for the fame and fortune.

by Anonymousreply 12October 22, 2020 2:46 PM

And to think, if Tom Cruise had not divorced Kidman the way he did, he might have still been the one enjoying acclaim at this point in his career. His credibility might stll be intact, also the ability to choose any award-winning prestige role he wanted for himself. Not starring as motorcycle man in Mission: Impossible #129.

by Anonymousreply 13October 22, 2020 2:55 PM

I really wish that the troll who starts these ridiculous threads would go straight down the shitter himself. Flush him away!!

by Anonymousreply 14October 22, 2020 2:59 PM

R13: She should thank her lucky stars that Tammy pulled that surprise divorce on her. She got a lot of sympathy and an Oscar the following year because of it.

by Anonymousreply 15October 22, 2020 3:07 PM

Nicole has so far broken down every barrier that was placed before her. Sex. Talent. Looks. Age. Tom Cruise could receive critical acclaim if he acted in the right indie role, for example playing a offbeat villain, a drug addict, or even as a gay man stuggling with his sexuality. The thing is he will need to do it soon before he forgets how to act entirely. And the Scientologists won't let him do that. It won't be the same as the easy prestige roles he would have got in a different trajectory, had he not gone crazy halfway during his career.

by Anonymousreply 16October 22, 2020 3:42 PM

There aren't many roles in Hollywood for women over 40. It's OK for a movie to feature a man over 60, but his on-screen spouse will be played by a woman in her 30s. The producers are expected to perceive the male actors as younger but perceive the female actors as older.

by Anonymousreply 17October 22, 2020 3:44 PM

Decent actress but no one wants to pay to watch her.

by Anonymousreply 18October 22, 2020 3:44 PM

R18: Hollywood still has not absorbed the message that she's box office poison

by Anonymousreply 19October 22, 2020 3:48 PM

This thread is obviously meant to be a joke. Nicole is one of the most successful actresses of her generation. She was most recently nominated for an Oscar only 3 years ago, won an Emmy last year and was nominated again this year.

I’d say that’s pretty good for a 53 year old woman who has been working in Hollywood for 30 years.

by Anonymousreply 20October 22, 2020 3:57 PM

Bangkok Hilton was another early project that put Kidman on the map. Filmed between Dead Calm and Days of Thunder, the project was written especially for Kidman to showcase her fearless talents. In it she goes through every indignity in a Thai jail including facing execution, and having pails of shit thrown at her. The director who made the mini-series was astounded by Nicole's ability to cry on cue, sometimes all day long without her tear ducts ever becoming dry.

Bangkok Hilton was the higest rated mini-series in Australia during 1989, back when expensively produced mini-series were still the rage (the full 6 hour version is on youtube). Many around the world saw this when she was still Tom Cruise's trophy wife and realized that she could actually act.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 21October 23, 2020 1:04 AM

when she clapped like a seal at that awards show to avoid hurting her $500 manicure nails. she a skunt !!!

by Anonymousreply 22October 23, 2020 2:42 AM

BOX OFFICE POISON IS THIS BITCH !!!

by Anonymousreply 23October 23, 2020 2:43 AM

HO HAD MO NOSEJOBS/FACELIFTS THAN LIBERACE

by Anonymousreply 24October 23, 2020 2:44 AM

Nicole Kidman's films mostly flop hard. Her acting is very plain and undistinguished, she is like a cipher. She does not have a recognizable voice, talent, or style. There is something always "false" about her characterizations.

Shall I go on?

by Anonymousreply 25October 23, 2020 2:58 AM

I actually always go and see her films at the cinema. I guess I am a fan? I first really noticed her in dead calm. Loved her in To Die For and she was great in the recent Destroyer.

by Anonymousreply 26October 23, 2020 3:03 AM

lezzies are her main fans.....she marrys gays.....go figure

by Anonymousreply 27October 23, 2020 3:36 AM

Cruise and Kidman were married during the time the film Flirting was released, and its stars Thandie Newton and Noah Taylor were beyond peeved that interviews only revolved around the subject of Kidman, and her ascension to Hollywood royalty.

Their responses were along the lines of "Look, we're just sick of talking about her!", and "Nicole's in it? WHO CARES?". Nicole's small part, which amounted to about 10 minutes, was now front & center, and the headliner of the whole movie.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 28October 23, 2020 6:14 AM

She's an Oscar winner, Emmy winner, and still gets nominations for both awards.

She's not a huge box office star but she's a respected actress who works steadily and has given some great performances (Dead Calm, To Die For, Eyes Wide Shut, Moulin Rouge, The Others, The Hours, Rabbit Hole, Lion, Destroyer).

by Anonymousreply 29October 23, 2020 6:29 AM

I can’t wait to see her in this.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 30October 23, 2020 6:35 AM

An interview with Kidman, on the verge of Hollywood fame.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 31October 23, 2020 6:55 AM

Kidman was, but only just, a household name in Australia by the time of that 60 Minutes interview. Only one year before she had completed her grown-up film debut in David Williamson's Emerald City (as a kind of dream girl figure), and by that time was treated as an industry peer.

No other Australian young actress was in the same league or had the prestigious parts lined up the way Nicole had. In the five years prior to that, she was fairly popular as a teen actress, only with the teens.

In comparison, her first five years of Hollywood films were almost all composed of turkeys and duds (Days of Thunder, Billy Bathgate, Far and Away, Malice, My Life). If not for the safty net of Cruise she would have packed her bags and fled L.A. in that first year.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 32October 23, 2020 8:06 AM

Nicole Kidman the Disney teen.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 33October 23, 2020 8:08 AM

She is NOT respected by the inner circles of the business....she is a cllmber who did what she had to do to get where she is now..mistress of manipulation.

by Anonymousreply 34October 23, 2020 10:14 AM

She really was lucky that she got to (fake) fuck Skarsgard in every possible position in BLL. Not sure how he felt about doing all these sex scenes with a 53 year old. That man is so hot and deserved better. You guys remember how she kissed him on the lips right in front of her dorky husband at the Emmys and then called Skarsgard a mannequin on a late night show. Lol. She really picked the weirdest, asexual husbands.

by Anonymousreply 35October 23, 2020 12:23 PM

[quote]Not sure how he felt about doing all these sex scenes with a 53 year old.

Are you slow-witted or something? You act like he's 18 and she's 80. He's in his mid-40s for fuck sake. It's not like the typical age gap where the guy is 60 and the chick. is 20

by Anonymousreply 36October 23, 2020 2:04 PM

^I'm in my 30s and would not fuck a 50yo or someone in their late 40s. Why should I? If a 10+ year age gap is not a problem for you, great. But I prefer partners close to my own age.

by Anonymousreply 37October 23, 2020 2:16 PM

Except it is not a 10+ between Nicole and Alex and they're ACTING, fool. You do know what that is, right?

by Anonymousreply 38October 23, 2020 2:18 PM

Her talk show appearances make her seem really likable. She's also glamorous and talented. I like that she shows up for Keith and that he shows up for her.

I'm looking forward to this HBO thing she's doing with Hugh Grant.

by Anonymousreply 39October 23, 2020 2:20 PM

[Quote]Except it is not a 10+ between Nicole and Alex and they're ACTING, fool. You do know what that is, right?

Calm the fuck down, sourpuss.

by Anonymousreply 40October 23, 2020 2:22 PM

R40, to turn this into one's own dating preferences was so stupid. Just stop. That you cannot separate acting from real life and then exaggerate the age gap between two actors when you know they've done it far worse and for far longer where the guy is way older, is ridiculous.

by Anonymousreply 41October 23, 2020 2:25 PM

[quote]HO HAD MO NOSEJOBS/FACELIFTS THAN LIBERACE

I take offense. I was always 100% au naturel, mesdames and messieurs. Below, besides, beyond, behind and even sat on the candelabra.

by Anonymousreply 42October 23, 2020 2:28 PM

One word: 'TOX

by Anonymousreply 43October 23, 2020 2:45 PM

R32 - I like Malice. Thought it was a very underrated film. I think it was one one of Gwenth Paltrow's fist adult roles.

by Anonymousreply 44October 23, 2020 5:53 PM

I love those searching for Kidman's compelling roles who always bring up "To Die For", a film from TWENTY-FIVE years ago!

She just never resonates and neither do her films for the most part.

by Anonymousreply 45October 23, 2020 9:06 PM

sHE HAS the charisma of the cumrag from keith and tommy joe fucking like dawgs...

by Anonymousreply 46October 25, 2020 7:35 AM

It’s those red, chapped hands of hers. What is she using for dish liquid??

by Anonymousreply 47October 25, 2020 10:50 AM

why she marry gay dudes huh?

by Anonymousreply 48October 25, 2020 10:52 AM

What the fuck is OP smoking? Nicole is super rich and is always working. She's also a producer.

She's got a better career than most people!

The delusion and lies at DL get more ridiculous with each passing year.

by Anonymousreply 49October 25, 2020 12:25 PM

We have a Kidman-worshipping troll now? How weird.

She's a middlling Australian actress who set her cap for a movie star, got him, and parlayed that into some starring roles. She had an average run as a leading lady, perhaps truncated by her inordinate number of flops. Now she's in her mid-50's and she's prepped for smaller character roles because she did indie projects for the indie-cred along the way. Except now she's fucked up her face beyond belief.

Cruise used to do some off-brand parts (Magnolia, Tropic Thunder) maybe he will again. It's not because he's such an "artiste" it's a strategy.

She was never a great actress. She was never the worst actress. She was lucky and ambitious and it worked beyond her wildest dreams for a while. Now she's an old lady. It happens.

by Anonymousreply 50October 25, 2020 12:35 PM

Don't let the fucking door hit you in what I'm sure is your gigantic ass on the way out, R49.

by Anonymousreply 51October 25, 2020 12:38 PM

R50 is right. Kidman was never considered an "acting prodigy" in Australia. Our great actors, like yours, can all do stage as well as film, and Nicole couldn't. Terrible voice. She lacks the capacity to transform impressively like Judy Davis, and also the alternative, which is the capacity to be charming onscreen, like Jacki Weaver. For all her beauty, Kidman does not transmit warmth or charm through the camera.

But she was competent and very glamorous even in her late teens, and whether for those or other reasons she got quite a few good early roles, in which she acquitted herself well but not amazingly. I agree with "lucky and ambitious", to which I would add "glamorous and a great clothes horse". She was probably always very professional: I've never heard any talk she wasn't. She did, however, often say she couldn't see herself acting all her life, and that she'd probably give it up "in the next few years".

by Anonymousreply 52October 25, 2020 2:29 PM

[quote]Our great actors, like yours, can all do stage as well as film, and Nicole couldn't.

Um, excuse me. AHEM.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 53October 25, 2020 2:35 PM

Not everyone agreed, R53.

by Anonymousreply 54October 25, 2020 2:37 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!