Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Dinner guests asking to take home their leftover food

This has happened to me in Chicago, in my home, where the guests requested their uneaten steak be wrapped. Then again in Seattle, where I had served Linguine with Clam Sauce. My sister once asked me to bring the leftover Honey Baked Ham that I had served on Christmas Eve to her XMAS day open house. I told her I wasn't coming. Frankly, I am still appalled at the boldness of some people. Perhaps they were drunk. Has anyone else had this type of think happen to them? Am I over reacting?

by Anonymousreply 308January 6, 2021 2:27 AM

"type of thing"

by Anonymousreply 1October 20, 2020 1:57 PM

Not once. You have weird friends.

by Anonymousreply 2October 20, 2020 1:59 PM

I think taking leftovers home from a restaurant is tacky enough.

by Anonymousreply 3October 20, 2020 2:00 PM

So, did you fix a plate or nah?

by Anonymousreply 4October 20, 2020 2:00 PM

I'd take it as a compliment. Your cooking must be amazing if people want to take it home rather than throw it away.

by Anonymousreply 5October 20, 2020 2:02 PM

On one hand it's tacky, but on the other hand I don't like the idea of food waste.

by Anonymousreply 6October 20, 2020 2:02 PM

This happened to me once when we had my partner’s colleague and gf over for dinner and they proceeded to ask for containers to take our leftovers with them.

We have them the food and the containers as a gift and never saw them again, socially. Some people were raised in a barn, apparently.

by Anonymousreply 7October 20, 2020 2:04 PM

The most outrageous thing that happened to me as a host: A very good friend brought two bottles of wine to my dinner party as a host gift.

I thanked him but didn't use the wine because it didn't go with what I was serving (but asked him if he would like some).

At the end of the evening, he went into my kitchen picked up the bottles, thanked me for dinner, and left with the wine.

And he is a well-educated person who should know better.

by Anonymousreply 8October 20, 2020 2:05 PM

fucking cunts

by Anonymousreply 9October 20, 2020 2:06 PM

Yes, this happened to me once. My husband's friends were over for a dinner. One couple split one of their plates (I served "restaurant-style") and asked for the other to be boxed for them to take home. Some time later, we had the same group for dinner again. That time I served "family-style." I figured that they would put on their plate only what they would eat and they did. But when I cleared the dishes, the same guy asked for a box. I refused.

by Anonymousreply 10October 20, 2020 2:08 PM

It’s very impolite. Wait if the host offers and if not then you don’t go ask for leftovers yourself.

by Anonymousreply 11October 20, 2020 2:08 PM

I tell them I used both servings from the can.

by Anonymousreply 12October 20, 2020 2:10 PM

I have never asked as a guest nor been asked by a guest. I have both offered guests leftovers and been offered them, particularly desserts. People will often take a slice of cake with them; something nice for coffee the next day and I don't have to eat it all myself or throw it out.

by Anonymousreply 13October 20, 2020 2:11 PM

Sounds like you made too large of portions. What else are you going to do with the food? Are you going to eat the leftovers on their plates?

I would take it as a compliment. And I don't want a lot of excess food in my fridge.

I've given to-go tupperware to my family, if they want it.

It happens very rarely, but I don't make a fuss and glad that the food is wanted and maybe makes it easier for them not to have to cook another meal. I spent a lot of time cooking all that so I appreciate that they don't have to go through the trouble.

by Anonymousreply 14October 20, 2020 2:13 PM

I think it's very tacky for guests to ask. However, if it's family I think it's alright.

by Anonymousreply 15October 20, 2020 2:14 PM

You’re putting too large a portion on the plate, OP.

by Anonymousreply 16October 20, 2020 2:21 PM

OP are you the kind of host that would offer some of the leftovers to your guests at the end of the evening or not? If not, is it because you planned on eating then yourself the next night - a perfectly reasonable thing to do, or do you plan and cook in such a way that there are really no leftovers beyond what has been plated? It is very tacky for the guests to ask.

by Anonymousreply 17October 20, 2020 2:21 PM

If they put it on their plate and couldn't finish it I'd humor them, but asking for the rest of a family style dinner serving plate would be a "get out of my house!" moment. That's just pure greed. Also people who take seconds, or thirds, and then ask for taking some with them won't get another invite. I'm not a fucking soup kitchen. We are supposed to socialize together not watch you eat like a hog.

by Anonymousreply 18October 20, 2020 2:22 PM

If there are leftovers, I usually offer to make them a plate to go and they are usually pretty psyched. My partner and I are both good cooks and people are enthusiastic about the food. I think it’s kind of flattering if anything.

by Anonymousreply 19October 20, 2020 2:24 PM

I have a terrible confession. Not prepared food, but I brought various colored peppers from my garden and gave them to a friend in a golden bowel I had picked up in a bazaar in Cairo. it was a lovely display but for some reason, I asked for the bowl back when I left Decades ago but we aren't really friends anymore(not because of that).

by Anonymousreply 20October 20, 2020 2:28 PM

R18 you sound like a delight.

R19 you have the right idea. As long as you're offering and they accept, no problem.

by Anonymousreply 21October 20, 2020 2:29 PM

To directly address OP's comment - uneaten steak - I could see wanting to not waste that and it's easy to add to other dishes for a 2nd meal. Plus I'm not eating their partially eaten steak.

The linguine and clam sauce is a weird ask.

As far as the honey baked ham, why not bring the leftovers? Those things are massive. How much ham would you want to eat by yourself?

I guess for me, most dinner party and holiday dinners are higher-calorie indulgences and I just don't want the leftovers in my house. Particularly with dessert - fucking take the whole thing! I don't need half a pie or cake staring me in the face, taunting and tempting me every time I open the fridge door.

by Anonymousreply 22October 20, 2020 2:29 PM

R22, I would never ask anyone for leftovers (unless I’m eating at my parent’s house). That’s just how I was raised .

I usually offer my guests to take leftovers with them if they like, but I hate when people have zero etiquette. I gave the example with my husband’s colleague and girlfriend who simply asked for containers to take home leftover food. That’s just rude, and I really hate bad manners.

by Anonymousreply 23October 20, 2020 2:38 PM

It probably a nice gesture to pack a few servings of desert or a festive dish that would travel easily (holiday cookies, etc.). Asking is a bit rude but I see this with younger people visiting parents or grandparents.

I also think it’s a bit much to push food onto guests. That happens to me sometimes, and the implication is uncomfortable (“I know you live alone and probably don’t really cook for yourself...”). I think it’s all dependent in who the guests are and their levels of familiarity.

As a guest, I would not ask for a doggy bag, though.

by Anonymousreply 24October 20, 2020 2:39 PM

I always offer my guests leftovers from big holiday meals . Since I over cook usually ,it really is a big help for them to take some. I buy dollar store plastic containers to send them home with,and its a win/win. Ive never ,in my 59 years , had anyone ask for leftovers. I wouldnt know what to say .

by Anonymousreply 25October 20, 2020 2:41 PM

I LOVE the super hosts that have pre-made take-home containers, usually the disposable paper type (go green, sort of). As another poster said, this is perfect for desserts but sometimes there are large enough portions that some of the meals can be taken home. At no point would I ever think it's appropriate to ask my host to take home anything besides dessert.

Sometimes your too full to eat it then but you may really want it later.

by Anonymousreply 26October 20, 2020 2:42 PM

OP, you sound stingy. You actually did you sister a favor by not showing up.

by Anonymousreply 27October 20, 2020 2:46 PM

Unthinkable. What kind of trash do you hang out with OP?

by Anonymousreply 28October 20, 2020 2:50 PM

I can see this happening at holidays with family members but otherwise, tacky

by Anonymousreply 29October 20, 2020 2:50 PM

OP is a pig who wanted the entire spiral ham for himself.

by Anonymousreply 30October 20, 2020 2:50 PM

It's about being taken advantage of when hosting such an affair. You can bet that the ones asking for doggy bags treat their own guests, when they host, less favorably. It's one thing to be poor or broke thanks to the Trump administration mishandling the health crisis and the economy. In such times it's perfectly fine to help out where you can. But it's another to make others feel like a literal meal ticket where you didn't come to be with them but for the free food.

by Anonymousreply 31October 20, 2020 2:52 PM

[quote] Am I over reacting?

Pretty much any time anyone asks this question on DL, the answer is an unqualified "Yes."

by Anonymousreply 32October 20, 2020 2:53 PM

The host should offer leftovers to take home.

I will always take home leftovers if offered because 1. I am not a good cook and 2. I will probably eat it at like 11 pm that night.

I have brought wine to my good friends house and we didn't drink it, so I took it home. They have done the same thing.

Take the stick out. It's just food you already cooked. They may be broke and really need the extra to save money. You don't know.

by Anonymousreply 33October 20, 2020 2:56 PM

To answer R17's question, I always make enough food to have a couple of servings more than I need. For steaks, one per person, and I am talking a filet size. I am in my fifties and have hosted many many dinners where I was the cook. Considering that there are only 2 instances of people actually asking to take their food home, I guess that I was wondering if my experiences were as odd as I saw them. I have lived in the Northeast, Deep South, Mid West, and now Pacific Northwest. Mannerly people are the same everywhere. They don't ask for to go boxes in a private home! (R32) Touche!

by Anonymousreply 34October 20, 2020 2:57 PM

Well of course that happened to you in Chicago OP. What else would you expect?

by Anonymousreply 35October 20, 2020 2:57 PM

R23 - I would never ask for leftovers either, but if the host offers, I may accept.

Most of my dinner parties are with family members and close friends I've had for over 20 years. There's no pretense anymore - here, take some, I've got plenty!

However, if it were with acquaintances and people I've known for less than a few years, NO WAY would I offer or request left-overs.

So, for me, I guess it depends on the level of familiarity with guests.

by Anonymousreply 36October 20, 2020 2:58 PM

[quote]I have brought wine to my good friends house and we didn't drink it, so I took it home.

Has anyone told you that you're white trash?

by Anonymousreply 37October 20, 2020 2:59 PM

R33 - I'm going to have to stop you right there. A bottle of wine is an appropriate gift to thank the host for preparing the meal and for the invite.

Over my dead body are you taking back the gifts you brought with you! You would be crossed off my list for life.

That's just soooo wrong.

by Anonymousreply 38October 20, 2020 3:00 PM

Asking to take home wine you brought your host is absolutely baffling . I would immediately punch and delete your ass , and I dont care how long Ive known you .

by Anonymousreply 39October 20, 2020 3:01 PM

R8 it was a gesture meant to communicate that he thought you were rude to not serve what he brought. I'm not agreeing but I am interpreting. I've heard people bitching about the host not serving what they brought and a big argument ensued: on one side, no, you don't bring something that the host has to serve; on the other, yes, be gracious.

I would open any bottle a guest brought, and I would be happy for guests to take home food.

As a guest, I would never take home food unless it's at my parents' or sister's house.

It's really a shame to use a dinner party to judge. People have a hard time being guests for exactly this reason. I worry that I'm a fucking rube and will make a faux pas, and then sometimes I end up turning down an invitation.

Doesn't matter anymore because there are no more dinner parties.

by Anonymousreply 40October 20, 2020 3:02 PM

R33, what if you bring flowers for the host, do you take them home of the guest doesn’t smell them?

by Anonymousreply 41October 20, 2020 3:05 PM

R38 these dinners were not formal at all. It is pretty much three of us and no big deal.

We also bring our own Scotch or Whiskey to drink, if that is the type of night we are having.

Sometimes, when money has been really tight I told them I could not afford wine and they did not care.

My best friends like me for me, not for pretending to be this polished and posh person.

by Anonymousreply 42October 20, 2020 3:05 PM

You know, it was customary on holidays, or large gatherings with family and friends for people to "tote" leftovers. So the turkey, the dressing, the ham, the mac & cheese, etc., the cakes and pies, etc. got divided up, and little "care packages" were I'm gonna freeze it" or the hostess would make sure to set aside enough for her own family. It was old fashioned, but it was customary. OTOH, if you are having a small gathering, just one or two couples, or whatever and someone ASKS to take home their leftover steak? That's a whole different thing. No. It is totally out of line andvery bad manners. Now lets say you have another couple come over for dinner and one of them feels unwell, and can't eat and you offer to pack a little soething for the to take home, that's different. But in g eneral I think it's bad manners. Only if a host offers or insists should it ever happen.

by Anonymousreply 43October 20, 2020 3:05 PM

r33 that's very odd to take it back. My friends don't know all of the traditional etiquette rules, cause they aren't on DL, one of which is that if a guest brings something it should be a gift for the host, not something to be consumed during the meal. There is an exception when a host askes people to bring items.

My friends, all in their late 20s to early 30s, are used to meals being a communal affair. We bring our own drinks, the host provides the dinner, someone handles dessert. At the end of the meal, it's alright to take your contributions home, but most would leave what they bring for the host to enjoy. There really are no rules today so I can understand the confusion.

I hope you at least brought a chilled glass of wine since you expect to drink it during the meal.

I guess one unwritten rule is that someone brings White Claws. At a NYE party/dinner last year almost every other person brought a case of White Claw. By 10pm the host had to leave them on his back porch. Every time someone open the door for more there was a mountain of White Claw boxes in the back.

by Anonymousreply 44October 20, 2020 3:05 PM

I like gifting the host with chocolates or a dessert and I make it clear that it is a gift for them not for the meal. They are always taken aback, by the chocolates because it's rare.

by Anonymousreply 45October 20, 2020 3:07 PM

I give all food people want to take home in tinfoil. That way they don't have to worry about returning the container to me.

by Anonymousreply 46October 20, 2020 3:07 PM

Yeah R33 - you, and your friends apparently, don't understand the concept of the "host gift." It is a thank you for the meal and the invite, and it may or may not be served that evening -- that is up to the host; you don't take it back if it is unopened, the wine is just like flowers, or some fancy soap, or something else you know the host would like -- it is a gift. You can certanly ask before hand if the host want's you to bring anything, and then the requested wine or dessert will be served because the host specified what he wanted you to bring; -- if they say no thanks, you bring something anyway, but with the expectation that it will not be served that night.

by Anonymousreply 47October 20, 2020 3:07 PM

R40 - I disagree. I'm not serving a riesling with steak. Most likely, your wine will not be a match with what I'm serving.

I've also heard that you open the wine that the guest brought and that just seems so wrong. Dessert? Fine - I'll serve any dessert and it saves me time.

But I don't feel compelled to open your wine unless it's a very good wine and you asked ahead of time so that it pairs with the food.

If that's your favorite wine and all that you drink, then it really isn't a gift - it's you bringing your own booze just for yourself. I hate that.

by Anonymousreply 48October 20, 2020 3:08 PM

[Quote]I have brought wine to my good friends house and we didn't drink it, so I took it home.

No r33. This is not normal, it's trashy and cheap as hell.

If you bring a bottle of wine to someone's house it is a gift, and you absolutely do not take it back with you just because the host didn't open it that night.

Leftovers I can get, but on this there is no wiggle room.

by Anonymousreply 49October 20, 2020 3:11 PM

It's good manners to bring a bottle of wine to a dinner as a thank you.

It is appalling manners to expect the host to serve that wine with the meal if it is a formal dinner.

by Anonymousreply 50October 20, 2020 3:11 PM

My practice is that when you bring food or drink as a host gift, wine, alcohol, chocolates, cakes or pies, flowers, etc. if it's a GIFT the host does WTF he wants with it. If he decides to save it for another time, fine. If he serves it fine. A gift is something he can do what he wants to. If you are ASKED to bring a dessert or a beverage as a contribution t the gathering that's another story. But host gifts are g ifts. You never take them back. What a bunch of dolt.s Look. There's no need to be "confused." When in doubt let common courtesy be your guide. Jeez.

by Anonymousreply 51October 20, 2020 3:11 PM

I once went to a dinner party and there were twelve of us, and when we got ready to leave the host asked us to take some of the wine home because he rarely drank and had too much.

by Anonymousreply 52October 20, 2020 3:12 PM

r48 I somewhat agree but really any guests coming over for dinner should reach out to the host and ask if they can bring anything. If the hosts= says wine then the type can be discussed beforehand. I think it's odd to just show up with a bottle and expect it to be opened. Especially if the host already opened a bottle for their meal so now we have two bottles.

Do you people not ask the hosts if you can bring anything before barging into their meal with your personal contributions?

by Anonymousreply 53October 20, 2020 3:12 PM

R44 - what you describe is a potluck if everyone is bringing dishes. That's not a dinner party.

And you are so wrong 'there really are no rules today' - THIS is the type of thinking that is our downfall. No, not everything is acceptable.

There are rules - I get so tired of Millennials just ignoring all social graces and just say - nobody does that anymore. Bullshit. You're just trying to justify your ignorance.

by Anonymousreply 54October 20, 2020 3:15 PM

Your sister wasn’t wrong, IMO, but the other people have some nerve.

by Anonymousreply 55October 20, 2020 3:16 PM

I once brought a marble rye to a dinner party. The hostess never bothered to put it out on the table, so after dinner, and I went in the kitchen and brought the bread home with me.

Was that wrong?

by Anonymousreply 56October 20, 2020 3:18 PM

How can you possibly be "barging" into their meal if you've been invited over by the host in the first place?

Dataloungers always have trouble with rhetorical overkill.

by Anonymousreply 57October 20, 2020 3:19 PM

I would fall over dead if a dinner guest asked for a take home plate. I can’t cook worth shit.

by Anonymousreply 58October 20, 2020 3:19 PM

I once had a formal dinner party to celebrate a friend's birthday.

His boyfriend showed up 45 minutes into dinner, wearing tennis shorts. He was covered in sweat as he had just been playing tennis.

Some people are selfish and have no manners.

by Anonymousreply 59October 20, 2020 3:19 PM

r56 What was the reason you brought the bread to the party?

by Anonymousreply 60October 20, 2020 3:20 PM

The gift of a nice bottle of wine is not for drinking at the meal to which you have been invited. It is a gift for the host or hostess. There is no way for you to know what wine would go with what is being served since you usually don't know that until you arrive at the host's home. For instance, if red wine is being served it is usually decanted well before serving to allow it to breathe and to let sediments settle. Flowers or a book are also nice ideas. OP

by Anonymousreply 61October 20, 2020 3:21 PM

I once brought a lovely bottle of wine to a dinner party.

For some odd reason, the host didn't serve it.

So I took a lovely objet d'art from their mantel home with me.

by Anonymousreply 62October 20, 2020 3:21 PM

Different kettle of fish R52 . The host offered .

by Anonymousreply 63October 20, 2020 3:23 PM

Well, we all know what Erna would do in such a s(h)ituation.

by Anonymousreply 64October 20, 2020 3:24 PM

Some of you people read the OP too quickly. This was the guest’s uneaten food. If someone says, “The food is delicious, but I’m unable to finish. Would you mind if I take it with me?” I would say absolutely. It would otherwise be tossed out. Glad that you liked it.

It is completely different — and not appropriate — for a guest to have finished their plate and then to ask for food that has not been served. I may offer it, but you shouldn’t be so presumptuous as to ask.

And no, you CANNOT take back you gift of wine if it hasn’t been opened. That is beyond bizarre.

by Anonymousreply 65October 20, 2020 3:24 PM

Hey Bronze dude, that is from an old Seinfeld episode.

by Anonymousreply 66October 20, 2020 3:25 PM

r62 Mr. President shouldn't you be doing some actual work instead of trolling DL? Btw, the French Embassy will want those statues back on January 20th.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 67October 20, 2020 3:26 PM

Send flowers as a thank-you gift the next day instead of wine the night-of.

by Anonymousreply 68October 20, 2020 3:28 PM

How about this? I wanted to make a special ethnic meal (quite complicated) after I returned from living abroad for my family, which was about six people. The meal required split-second timing and I told people that so they wouldn't be late.

Without telling me, my brother invited his friend coming from 2 hours away and the friend was an hour late, meaning that the dinner was semi-ruined.

Passive aggression? I've had family members "insist" I make a very complicated soup for holiday meals. Once I did and once I was too busy with other things. They pouted. I thought they could have waited until I offered, seeing all the labor involved.

by Anonymousreply 69October 20, 2020 3:29 PM

I don't invite gays over for dinner any longer whom I haven't known for years, nor do I accept invitations for dinner. Too many ways to fuck up, beginning with how much I hate bringing flowers indoors.

by Anonymousreply 70October 20, 2020 3:29 PM

r66 But he never mentioned the bubbe he almost arm wrestled to get it. 🥖

by Anonymousreply 71October 20, 2020 3:32 PM

r69 why did you bother to wait on serving the meal for a guest you didn't know? You really couldn't just nuke the food when he got there and let everyone else enjoy the meal? You're a very odd host. Personally, as a guest, I would be annoyed if I had to wait another hour to eat over some random person.

On that note, hosts should be prepared. Nothing worse than a dinner party at 7, not serving food until 9-9:30. These types rarely have enough appetizers to hold their guests over.

by Anonymousreply 72October 20, 2020 3:32 PM

all this propriety is rooted in Eurocentric colonialism///SNARK

by Anonymousreply 73October 20, 2020 3:38 PM

I was once asked to bring dessert to a dinner and I went out and bought a really nice and expensive cake. The hostess told me that it was her favorite cake, put it in the fridge, and the cake was never seen again.

She served Costco Mousse for dessert, the one that comes in the little glass jars. Some people are just different.

by Anonymousreply 74October 20, 2020 3:44 PM

That bitch r74

by Anonymousreply 75October 20, 2020 3:46 PM

????

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 76October 20, 2020 3:47 PM

What's wrong with that? Maybe they are hungry and don't have much food at home? Not everyone is doing as well as you.

by Anonymousreply 77October 20, 2020 3:52 PM

The only time I've seen this was in a Lifetime movie where Kristen Bell raised her siblings after her white trash mom (played by Anne Heche!) won't do it. The main character had dinner with her wealthy boyfriend's family and asked to bring the leftovers home to her younger siblings.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 78October 20, 2020 4:00 PM

I admit to not reading all the posts but why would you resent this other than you want all the leftovers for yourself? Why not take a bit for yourself and return the rest? Were you planning a second party with all the leftovers?

by Anonymousreply 79October 20, 2020 4:01 PM

The DLCAS on this thread is most amusing.

If there are ample leftovers and the hosts do not have a large family then yes, it's common for the host to offer easily transportable leftovers--dessert in particular as someone mentioned upthread--to take home.

It's also common for older family members (your parents, grandparents, aunts, uncles) to try and send you off with enough food to last the week.

But to defend OP, I would find it a little odd if someone I did not know well asked me to supply them with a doggy bag, though a lot would depend on how the request was made and in what context. (e..g, if I had just said "gosh, there's so much soup left, I don't know what I am going to do with it" and someone said "It was really delicious. I am happy to take some home if you think it will go to waste," that would seem like a normal response.

If, OTOH, apropos of nothing, someone said "would you mind boxing up some salmon and a slice of cake" I'd think it was a slightly odd request, but mostly be flattered that they enjoyed the meal enough to want to take it home.

I would not think "oh, they've been raised in a barn!" or be shocked and horrified as many DLCAS-afflicted DLers seem to be.

Just "okay, they're a little odd, but otherwise likeable enough" and move on from there.

by Anonymousreply 80October 20, 2020 4:06 PM

I do not hold up dinner if someone is late.

I invite them for drinks at least 30 minutes before dinner will be served to give them some leeway in arriving.

After that, they are too rude to worry about and dinner is served.

by Anonymousreply 81October 20, 2020 4:08 PM

"Bronze dude"

I was emptying the dishwasher the other day and i was remembering BAG sort of referring to himself as a bear and I still can't quite get over it.

For years and years I pictured Mr. Rogers whenever I saw the name.

by Anonymousreply 82October 20, 2020 4:12 PM

Guests asking the host for carry home bags is definitely weird - ok only in case close family members.

And the ones taking back the wine bottles they brought in as a gift, WTF was that??

by Anonymousreply 83October 20, 2020 4:12 PM

R80, oh no, some people were definitely raised in a barn. Not everybody can be wealthy and beautiful, but everybody can acquire good manners.

by Anonymousreply 84October 20, 2020 4:12 PM

Some of you need to write a book "Datalounge guide of Etiquette for Millennial", they won't buy it, but some would definitely will piracy a copy.

by Anonymousreply 85October 20, 2020 4:13 PM

R84 suffers from DLCAS

by Anonymousreply 86October 20, 2020 4:17 PM

Usually the host offers leftovers. I don’t recall a guest ever demanding to take food home.

I have an older Jewish friend who will take ANY leftovers home from a restaurant. It’s cute.

by Anonymousreply 87October 20, 2020 4:18 PM

Asking to take home leftovers from a dinner party, except for family and very close friends, is trash can behavior.

by Anonymousreply 88October 20, 2020 4:20 PM

[quote] trash can behavior.

More DLCAS. This thread is like listening to the prissy great aunt in a black and white movie, the one who gets her comeuppance at the end for being mean to the heroine.

I am fervently hoping that all of you are providing hypothetical answers, that you've never actually encountered someone who ordered you to prepare them a doggy bag or demanded that you give their half-empty bottle of wine back.

by Anonymousreply 89October 20, 2020 4:29 PM

Dinner guests who subtly tell you they are one of the poors...

by Anonymousreply 90October 20, 2020 4:55 PM

What if it's potluck and they want to take home the leftover food they brought?

by Anonymousreply 91October 20, 2020 5:01 PM

[quote] I wanted to make a special ethnic meal (quite complicated) after I returned from living abroad for my family, which was about six people. The meal required split-second timing and I told people that so they wouldn't be late.

"Do you know what happens to Veal Prince Orloff if you leave him too long in the oven? He DIES, Mary!"

by Anonymousreply 92October 20, 2020 5:15 PM

r69, your bizarrely intricate meals requiring "split-second timing" makes it sound clearly as if you see having people over for dinner as a performance so they can praise you, rather than as a chance to make them feel comfortable and enjoy themselves.

by Anonymousreply 93October 20, 2020 5:17 PM

R93 - it's called a special effort. Everyone else was on time except the uninvited guest.

It's not a one-pot dish - he probably had several courses, so it is understandable.

And for me, there should be 3 or 4 courses if you're having a dinner party. Otherwise, just warm up a frozen family-sized lasagna dinner and call it a day.

Dinner parties should require effort.

by Anonymousreply 94October 20, 2020 5:36 PM

[quote] I brought various colored peppers from my garden and gave them to a friend in a golden bowel I had picked up in a bazaar in Cairo.

I've heard of having an iron stomach, R20, but a golden bowel?

by Anonymousreply 95October 20, 2020 5:44 PM

I think R20 meant to say "peppers of color."

by Anonymousreply 96October 20, 2020 5:52 PM

Oh please r94 even the lasagna meal you mentioned would likely have a salad and dessert, boom 3 courses. You know what? If you're good company, then a simple salad, lasagna, and dessert over wine and stimulating conversation can make for a wonderful dinner party.

by Anonymousreply 97October 20, 2020 5:54 PM

It doesn't seem that tacky to me if the food was already on their plates, in which case I'm not eating it myself. A steak half-eaten by someone else would go in the trash.

Asking to take more food than what was originally offered at the meal, without waiting for the host to suggest it, is rude. It's never happened to me, but I can think of one former coworker who would do it.

by Anonymousreply 98October 20, 2020 6:02 PM

I bring Tupperware when I go to my parents house for dinner. I will bring a plate of dessert and sometimes fix a plate if there is a ton of food leftover at a family gathering.

I have never asked nor been offered to take leftovers from a non-family event.

I hate wasting food and will always get leftovers to go from a restaurant if I am going straight home afterwards. If not, sometimes I will order two appetizers instead of an entree so I don’t end up throwing half away.

by Anonymousreply 99October 20, 2020 6:07 PM

r95 Ask Manius Aquillius all about it.

by Anonymousreply 100October 20, 2020 6:13 PM

R33 = grifter. No one is obligated to feed and entertain you. Clearly you do not reciprocate so you have no idea what it costs or the effort and time it takes to host a gathering.

by Anonymousreply 101October 20, 2020 6:33 PM

Possibly, OP's serving sizes are too large and / or not tasty. For example, if I got served a huge steak (beef) that's full of gristle, I wouldn't be able to choke down the entire steak. But, I'd feel embarrassed to leave 90% of the steak on my plate, uneaten. At that point, I might ask for a doggy bag so I wouldn't insult the host.

OP, not trying to insult you, just trying to think of explanations for what happened.

by Anonymousreply 102October 20, 2020 6:57 PM

I am a happy, generous host. That does not mean I am immune to rudeness, unreasonableness or plain bad manners.

The kind of entitlement displayed here reminds me of how hard it is to put together a table or party of interesting, enjoyable people, and how the people who are most demanding are the ones least likely to reciprocate or be generous. I try to avoid having cunts in my house, as opposed to true Frauen, who at least will be appropriate, if often too much so.

I often prepare a small gift, either of treats or other items relevant to the gathering, for guests. I'll customize them. But I have had numerous guests ask for more for family members or friends they're seeing the next day, as if I maintain an inventory. I say no, they're already made up for the guests.

I don't give one person the run of the kitchen with the Tupperware she's brought without knowing everyone else then ought to have a free hand in stripping my pantry - so I don't respond positively when people make requests, usually. It can, of course, be contextual and I am understanding if the topic is brought up with some kind of reference other than their ownership of my fare, my responsibilities as a host/their transactional purveyor, or "how dare you waste food!" "Help yourself" ought not to translate into a belief that what is on your plate belongs to you in perpetuity. It is yours for the occasion only.

If a guest has a portion-size issue, or any other issue, it is polite to leave any amount uneaten on a plate, without explanation. For a host, it is polite not to notice or take offense at anything left on a plate. It is impolite to make a reference to it. "Didn't you like the liver?" is not something a host need ask, and "I couldn't choke down both lobes of that nasty liver," is not something a guest need offer.

R102 may think she's being polite, but the claim that someone has served her something that is 90% inedible is outrageous. Or an indication that she should have taken the hint.

by Anonymousreply 103October 20, 2020 7:09 PM

I always make too much food for holiday gatherings, so I beg people to take leftovers. I hand out disposable containers and let them prepare their own take away meals. It's flattering when they send me a thank you text the next day that they are enjoying my leftovers for lunch while remembering our dinner fondly.

To those who are puzzled about how a host could possibly eat party leftovers, such as ham, all by himself......do you not have freezers?

by Anonymousreply 104October 20, 2020 7:10 PM

There is an enormous difference between bringing wine to a party for consumption and bringing a hostess gift that happens to be wine.

While I wouldn't do it, a lot of folks ask people to bring stuff to get togethers - essentially a potluck. For example, a group of guys getting together to play poker for the evening, everyone brings beer an munchies. While we're playing at someone's house, that person is not technically "hosting" a party. Usually, the guy tells everyone to take their beer because it's taking up space in the refrigerator.

If you brought wine as a hostess gift, you're just trashy if you expect to have it served to you, let alone taking it home with you.

by Anonymousreply 105October 20, 2020 7:10 PM

I think the folks who get mad about their wine not being served are miffed because the host squirrels away the good wine they brought and then serves the guests cheap crap no one even wants to drink.

by Anonymousreply 106October 20, 2020 7:18 PM

[quote]I think the folks who get mad about their wine not being served are miffed because the host squirrels away the good wine they brought and then serves the guests cheap crap no one even wants to drink

While that's true, expecting it to be served is essentially using the party as an excuse to buy yourself a gift.

It's like some guy buying a lingerie for his wife, then getting upset because she doesn't ever wear it.

by Anonymousreply 107October 20, 2020 7:23 PM

If someone asked me for food I would assume they are poor and happily give it to them.

My only pet peeve is when people take silverware or serving utensils “accidentally” and never return it.

by Anonymousreply 108October 20, 2020 7:32 PM

You need better friends, R108.

by Anonymousreply 109October 20, 2020 7:40 PM

They could be used to eating at relatives and getting a "to go" meal fixed for them. And they probably don't cook.

by Anonymousreply 110October 20, 2020 7:47 PM

It’s always an “accident.” This has been stolen accidentally.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 111October 20, 2020 7:47 PM

Most any time I have entertained I have sent food home with people. I'll put together enough food so that each person will have one full meal, including dessert. But no, no one dining at my house has ever asked to take their own uneaten food home. How low class.

by Anonymousreply 112October 20, 2020 7:50 PM

LIOL at someone at a home asking for a box, that is too funny.

by Anonymousreply 113October 20, 2020 7:54 PM

If anyone asks me to take home leftovers from a dinner party, I would assume they are struggling and send them home with a donation of rice, beans, uncooked pasta, and a jar of pasta sauce.

by Anonymousreply 114October 20, 2020 7:56 PM

I had a dinner guest who was drunk and pulled down a shelf with wine glasses, which all crashed to the floor and broke. Later they gave me a check for $200.

by Anonymousreply 115October 20, 2020 7:57 PM

Back when I had people over for dinner if anyone brought wine I would put it on the counter with the others, under the cabinet with the wine glasses, next to the corkscrew. Whatever doesn’t get opened goes on the wine rack until next time. A dinner party with one type/bottle of wine and only served with the meal sounds like a crashing bore!

by Anonymousreply 116October 20, 2020 8:10 PM

[quote] [R102] may think she's being polite, but the claim that someone has served her something that is 90% inedible is outrageous. Or an indication that she should have taken the hint.

I was exaggerating about a 90% uneaten steak. Good cooks with a circle of friends who are good cooks can forget ... there simply are some bland / crappy cooks out there who like to entertain. When I lived in a small town, there weren't many good cooks in the town. Potlucks did include the Costco meatballs and grape jelly sauce.

People can get mad, but several years ago, I lost maybe 20 pounds and I'd like to keep it off. If someone serves me a calorie bomb and it simply doesn't taste good, I'm not going to try to eat all of it.

If it's a calorie bomb and it tastes good, I will eat it.

by Anonymousreply 117October 20, 2020 8:13 PM

If you were just going to toss what they didn't finish, then why not let them take it home?

by Anonymousreply 118October 20, 2020 8:16 PM

[quote] People can get mad, but several years ago, I lost maybe 20 pounds and I'd like to keep it off. If someone serves me a calorie bomb and it simply doesn't taste good, I'm not going to try to eat all of it. If it's a calorie bomb and it tastes good, I will eat it.

As if anyone would invite a person who incorporates "calorie bomb" into her vocabulary.

by Anonymousreply 119October 20, 2020 8:20 PM

The Dinner Party - This can be men and women, all men or all women. typically have pre diner cocktails- scotch, bourbon, gin blend on the rocks, 1 specialty cocktail that the host can make and white and red wine for the non hard liquor drinking. You decide how long you would like the cocktail time to be half hour to 45 min is fairly common. You want to taste the food. Move on to the dining room for a sit down dinner and appropriate wines. Back to the living room, plus give smokers a chance to go out on your patio or backyard to have a cig or cigar and the gals can powder their noses. Have desert in dining room. You really don't need any more drinks except tea or coffee, but this is the time for Brandy. Hosts or hostesses -, hire one of the neighborhood teens to help you in the kitchen and hopefully your menu used tried and true recipes, so no angst on your part. Plan on having everyone out by midnight. "We'd love to be able to stay longer but the early am golf tourney is row AM."

by Anonymousreply 120October 20, 2020 8:30 PM

Is this all you have, op?

by Anonymousreply 121October 20, 2020 8:31 PM

Is that from a 1950s hostessing book R120?

by Anonymousreply 122October 20, 2020 8:33 PM

First off, I would be flattered as fuck. I mean, for holiday dinners, I always send tons of leftovers home with the guests, whether they ask or not, since they won't have anything for that (for instance) midnight Thanksgiving sandwich if I don't. But, if you do not normally do that, if they ask you in a way like "This is SO delicious, but I'm too full to finish it, can I please take it home with me to enjoy later or tomorrow?" that's awesome. In my case, it would not only please/flatter me, but would propel me to give them a bunch more of the leftovers. If they just assume and ask for a container or bag, fuck that.

by Anonymousreply 123October 20, 2020 8:36 PM

Yeah, (122) - I tried to punch it up with the uni sex angle. I am off to an eye dr appt so don't hold your breath for anything more (west coast here).

by Anonymousreply 124October 20, 2020 8:38 PM

I can’t believe I just read through the entire thread.

by Anonymousreply 125October 20, 2020 8:39 PM

The original post is 100% true.

by Anonymousreply 126October 20, 2020 8:40 PM

What OP does not provide is any context as to how these requests came about.

Did you say something like "I don't have room in the refrigerator for all these leftovers, I guess I'll have to throw them out" or "we're going to be out of town for the next few days, I don't know if this will keep" --the sort of thing that might prompt a guest to say "well, I'd be happy to take some so it doesn't go to waste" (especially if they thought you were hinting at them to do so.)

Or did your guests, from out of the blue say, "Yes, that last episode of 'Succession' was quite a surprise and by the way, I'll take some of the salmon and the orzo home with me, maybe some of the dessert too, if you can spare it."

Or something in between?

by Anonymousreply 127October 20, 2020 8:40 PM

This thread reminds me how over the sensitive we are in this country. It is really flattering to be able to ask if it would be OK to take a doggy bag. I’ve often gone out for meals where the host offers it. They’re not looking to have the leftovers.

I was taught to always bring something with me when I went to someone’s home as a thank you. Perhaps the sister that suggested her sibling bring the ham to an event the next day was just making it easy for them to contribute

by Anonymousreply 128October 20, 2020 8:40 PM

I LOVE the 1950 and 1940ss etiquette videos on YouTube. What a classy era, minus the racism, homophobia, and sexism.

Poor Betty, so many mistakes. So much anxiety.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 129October 20, 2020 8:41 PM

OP here again - in both cases the parties were shit faced.

by Anonymousreply 130October 20, 2020 8:43 PM

r129 obviously Bob throws a mean blue-collar fuck so all is forgiven.

by Anonymousreply 131October 20, 2020 8:43 PM

If you have left half the steak on your plate uneaten, you get to take it home as the host won't want to touch something you've been eating. Although if the host wants to keep it, presumably to give the dog a treat, you don't get to argue. The host paid for the steak and gets the last word.

Other than that, the only other time you get to take the host's leftover food home is if the host states "We don't eat leftovers, anyone want the rest or should I throw it out?"

by Anonymousreply 132October 20, 2020 8:53 PM

As a guest, I NEVER ask for leftovers. More often hosts insist I take some, in which case I do to be gracious.

If a guest asked to take the food that remained on their plate I'd be happy to give it to them but it's never happened. I certainly wouldn't eat it myself.

I'll offer a dessert plate for guests to take, especially as I don't want to eat much leftover dessert myself. Sometimes I'll offer then secretly resent it because I'd love to gorge on it myself.

I offer leftovers from holiday dinners to family or friends who I know will appreciate the food. Usually they're happy to have it. In recent years I've done a Faux Thanksgiving dinner for a larger group on the Sunday before official TG, dole out the left overs, then make a simple version for fewer souls on real TG day. I do love leftover turkey and fixings.

I'm not a natural born host. I do my best and guest show appreciation but the whole affair, cleaning, shopping, cooking, exhausts me.

by Anonymousreply 133October 20, 2020 8:54 PM

[quote] Sometimes I'll offer then secretly resent it because I'd love to gorge on it myself.

Wow.

by Anonymousreply 134October 20, 2020 9:00 PM

So if OP said the guests were both shit-faced, then the previous 134 posts have been pointless.

People say and do all sorts of stupid things when shit-faced.

Including asking for food to take home.

by Anonymousreply 135October 20, 2020 9:01 PM

There are circumstances where people genuinely want guests to take food home. If you invite someone over who has trouble getting enough groceries in with prices rising the way they are, it's okay to pretend you'll just throw the food out if grandma or the starving student doesn't take it home. Or if the host really doesn't like having leftovers around. Or, as has happened in real life, a vegetarian couple cooked Thanksgiving dinner and presented a lovely roast turkey to the guests, and said "Everyone take some home, WE aren't going to eat it!" (yes, everyone told them that we'd love to try a vegetarian thanksgiving instead of turkey, and we'd bring our own favorite veg dishes).

The basic rule is, the host paid for the food and gets to decide what becomes of it.

by Anonymousreply 136October 20, 2020 9:10 PM

If someone doesn't finish what's on their plate, or if I have tons of leftovers, I always just ask if they'd like to take some home. So simple, and what am I going to do with it otherwise? If someone partially ate something, I'm certainly not saving it myself. Make it easy

by Anonymousreply 137October 20, 2020 9:12 PM

That's the mark of savages to ask their host to box up some food for them to take home.

The point of entertaining people in your home, inviting them for dinner, is to assemble good company, and only secondarily to provide a meal as promised - not serve as short order cook preparing everything just so the the preferences of each guest, and not to serve as waiter, boxing up the leftover bits and making foil swans.

"Can you make up a couple of boxes for us to take home?"

"No, but let me email you the recipe if you like"

by Anonymousreply 138October 20, 2020 9:21 PM

As I read this thread, I can't but help but envision a bunch of you fanning yourselves with the nearest newspaper, then wiping the perspiration off your upper lip with a lacy hankie and then tucking the hankie back into the cuff of your Victorian blouse.

In summary:

If you offer to bag shit to go and the guest agrees, appropriate! If guest asks for you to bag shit to go, inappropriate.

If a guest brings a bottle of wine and it does not get consumed at dinner, and the guest takes it back, inappropriate and completely gauche.

If you are at a family member's home and you ask for leftovers, appropriate. If not, don't ask, it is classless.

by Anonymousreply 139October 20, 2020 9:26 PM

Has this every actually happened to anyone?

Because at R130, OP admitted that his guests were shit-faced drunk at the time.

Seems to be the sort of thing that DLers love to denounce but never actually happens IRL

by Anonymousreply 140October 20, 2020 9:26 PM

My family brings their own containers to dinner at my house.

by Anonymousreply 141October 20, 2020 9:29 PM

[quote]The basic rule is, the host paid for the food and gets to decide what becomes of it.

Is that true at a restaurant? My father and bitch stepmother invited my siblings, their spouses and I to a dinner at a restaurant in a small town that was a drive for all of us, but especially me as I lived about 200 miles further out than the rest did. This was the type of southern folksy place that does have great food, but gets discovered and written about in travel magazines. All of a sudden everybody plans road trips and flocks there.

We all ordered what we wanted. As promised the food is very good and portions are generous. Drinks like iced tea and soda were available but liquor and wine was BYOB and we each brought our own. Before dessert, Sociopatra commanded that everyone pass their dinner plates with all the leftovers to HER. She proceeded to take everyone's leftover meat and put it in an insulated bag she had brought. Now my father did pay for everyone's food, but wicked stepmother had the gall to say that she wasn't taking the leftovers back home so she and my father could have them. She was taking them for their DOG!

I had a four hour drive to meet them at that place and I was kind of looking forward to having my own leftovers later that night or the next day. I was disappointed and offended as were my brothers and sister. I still think that's the tackiest, if not completely without reason, behavior I have ever seen.

by Anonymousreply 142October 20, 2020 9:37 PM

Yeah, I've had people ask but only family and friends who have been offered so many times in the past that it's a given.

One of my grandmother's would be offended if we didn't ask, except for that one time when she heard my brother's girlfriend gushing about how "Elaine would love it." My grandmother asked, "is Elaine your sister, roommate?" "Naah, she's my dog"

by Anonymousreply 143October 20, 2020 9:41 PM

Your stepmother is trashy R142

by Anonymousreply 144October 20, 2020 9:42 PM

I have never been at a dinner party where someone asked to have food wrapped up from their plate. Maybe at Thanksgiving people go away with leftovers, because that is normal because there is so much food. But it’s gauche to ask for your plate of food to be wrapped up or boxed.

by Anonymousreply 145October 20, 2020 10:07 PM

If you are at a Jewish home, odds are you eating leftovers to begin with.

by Anonymousreply 146October 20, 2020 10:09 PM

Slip whatever is uneaten on their plate into a plastic zip-lock bag and then into a paper bag for them to carry out. No fuss. No muss.

by Anonymousreply 147October 20, 2020 10:17 PM

What I’ve learned from Datalounge is that one should never eat with gays unless they want to be judged. Severely.

by Anonymousreply 148October 20, 2020 10:20 PM

I've gone to a Hampton hostess' large Thanksgiving buffet for years .... it is understood guests are wanted to leave with a plate, you know, for "a midnight snack," But just to ask for remnents of a dinner because you are too lazy to make lunch next day, coupled with being cheap, that's a big NO NO.

by Anonymousreply 149October 20, 2020 10:20 PM

I always offer people leftovers to take home with them. I live alone and don't want it staying with me.

by Anonymousreply 150October 20, 2020 10:35 PM

[quote] I have never been at a dinner party where someone asked to have food wrapped up from their plate.

NOR HAS ANYONE ELSE ON THIS THREAD

by Anonymousreply 151October 20, 2020 10:39 PM

Hah! I went tp dinner at Nan Kempner's and left without as much as a damn cracker.

by Anonymousreply 152October 20, 2020 11:00 PM

We have this thing in our family that we always bring a cake to my parents on our birthdays so that the children can enjoy a cake with their grandparents and we can see each other. My brother always gets a very expensive cake and takes it home with him. Granted my nephews are still 5 and 10 and eat a lot, we always make fun of it.

My dad says it's OK as they aren't gonna have cake afterwards but none of my other siblings do that. I once got a cake for my bday and gave a piece to each of my nephews and nieces to bring home, but it was my doing.

What say you DL?

by Anonymousreply 153October 20, 2020 11:01 PM

I could honestly see someone exclaiming, “Oh God, Muffy this prime rib is out of this world! Do let me take some home if there’s any to be had.” In a casual, fun sense. But to ask for it boxed or wrapped?? That’s just a little much....

by Anonymousreply 154October 20, 2020 11:31 PM

My brother always asks for leftovers so he can bring his dog a treat. Maybe OP's friends also have a dog and thought this steak would be a great treat for him instead of throwing it in the garbage. They probably should have explained why they wanted the leftovers. If they were really planning to eat it later and they were not family - weird. I think my brother only takes his stuff from a restaurant and family, I'll have to ask him if he ever asked friends or collegues.

It is normal to get some cake to take home after a family gathering in my family. Whoever hosts has 5-6 cakes after a birthday or holiday and we all share the leftovers.

by Anonymousreply 155October 20, 2020 11:37 PM

If asking for a to-go box is the worst behavior from drunken dinner guests, you're lucky.

by Anonymousreply 156October 20, 2020 11:43 PM

Eh, it might be technically rude, but I'm usually flattered. For thanksgiving (Canada) I made sure to not use anything onion around the prime rib so that the bones could go to the neighbor's dog, who enjoyed a summer tomahawk bone for about 3 hours.

Also, once I was feeding a friend who had never had homemade applesauce (i think?). After a bit, I just kept offering to see how much he would eat! 5 jars later I was internally laughing at him but happy he was enjoying it.

by Anonymousreply 157October 20, 2020 11:56 PM

When I first moved to France, I brought a bottle of wine to a party and was told that it was considered offensive . The host explained that it would be seen as though you considered the host’s wine inferior. The host would feel obligated to serve yours and that would be considered an imposition. It was also considered rude to offer flowers because the host would have to set them in a vase or display them, and that’s considered a distraction. Chocolates were considered ok, or you might be allowed to send flowers beforehand or after. Back in NY I always take along a gift. If it’s champagne I may say “ this is for your bath”. If it’s bourbon or whisky, I may say “this is for your desk drawer at work”. If it’s gin, I might say “this is for your nightstand”.

I’d be flattered if a guest asked to take home some of my cooking.

My siblings would probably cook a second turkey and pack up a meal for me to take home. They have done this for me saying that they’d like me to have leftovers on the next day. But we’re siblings and I’m the youngest of a large family. When I’m invited for a holiday, I like to bring something lavish to offer but will ask what they’d like. For many years I brought a cheesecake with a toffee crust that came in a wooden box from a restaurant/fromagerie called Artisanal. They loved it.

I would never attend a dinner party empty handed.

by Anonymousreply 158October 20, 2020 11:59 PM

Why are Americans so obsessed with food and possessing such bad manners? No wonder so many of your people are big fatties and look up to Donald Trump.

by Anonymousreply 159October 21, 2020 12:08 AM

R151, someone said a guest asked for a to go box... twice

by Anonymousreply 160October 21, 2020 12:09 AM

Heres another one for you etiquette mavens...I was raised to never eat a second helping as a guest in someones home . What say you ?

by Anonymousreply 161October 21, 2020 12:19 AM

This must be etiquette for gatherings of white people. When black people get together, its customary for everyone to take home a plate of food after. I always have styrofoam containers ready for guests to take what they want. Its only rude if you ask for your plate before everyone has gotten to a chance to eat. If you have a lot of left over food that means the food wasn't good.

by Anonymousreply 162October 21, 2020 12:26 AM

[quote] If it’s bourbon or whisky, I may say “this is for your desk drawer at work”. If it’s gin, I might say “this is for your nightstand”.

And after you leave, the hosts turn to each other and say "Jon-Keith Sebastian really thinks we're a bunch of closet drunks, doesn't he?"

by Anonymousreply 163October 21, 2020 12:33 AM

More stories about guests breaking or stealing things!

by Anonymousreply 164October 21, 2020 12:44 AM

[quote] Have desert in dining room.

But where will I get enough sand?

by Anonymousreply 165October 21, 2020 12:54 AM

R102 is right - particularly when it comes to steak for a dinner party. They should be mini-filets or a filet mignon at MOST, not some 8oz or 12oz. steak.

I don't want to (and can't finish) that much red meat in one sitting.

by Anonymousreply 166October 21, 2020 12:56 AM

Who are you people friends with?

by Anonymousreply 167October 21, 2020 12:58 AM

R162 - that's a get-together, not a semi-formal dinner party of 6 or 8.

One of my partners was black and we always had food to take home from his family and I LOVED it. The food was always so fucking good - albeit not the most healthy necessarily. But seriously awesome food that you can't buy at a restaurant or stores.

by Anonymousreply 168October 21, 2020 1:00 AM

I think this a some stereotypical petty gay drama. Honestly, people care about stuff like this?? I wouldn’t give two fucks if my friends asked to bring home their leftovers. I even tell them to make a plate to take home when I’m grilling.

by Anonymousreply 169October 21, 2020 1:02 AM

Won’t somebody think of the leftover mayonnaise?!

by Anonymousreply 170October 21, 2020 1:04 AM

You could take it as a compliment that they liked your food so much they wanted more or look at it that they are cheap, greedy fucks. My, I'd go with the latter.

by Anonymousreply 171October 21, 2020 1:08 AM

[quote] More stories about guests breaking or stealing things!

I once had a "drunk" guest collapse into a Christmas Tree. He was a friend of a friend, known as Swiss Tony, to distinguish him from the other Tonys in attendance. I guided him to the futon in a spare room, set him on his side, and placed a bucket next to the bed.

The next morning he was gone with 400$ from my wallet. My then BF refused to believe I hadn't encouraged it, given that the perpetrator was an ex.

by Anonymousreply 172October 21, 2020 1:15 AM

R161 - it's rude to ask, but if a second portion is offered and everyone has had some and there is extra, then go ahead. However, just be sure you're not overstuffing yourself and don't have room for dessert. Common mistake.

And people may laugh - but I thought R120's description was spot on - except the craft cocktail. That's too much work.

And no one should have one type of red or white for dinner. I always have two choices - and if they insist on a red with chicken for example, I have a red for them.

by Anonymousreply 173October 21, 2020 1:15 AM

If you'd like to put and end to the "more please, to go" dilemma, simply say "why, certainly" and toss those leftovers in a large Ziploc bag. Be sure to give them a warm smile as you hand over the bag and say "there you go!"

They won't ask again.

by Anonymousreply 174October 21, 2020 1:15 AM

When hosting close friends or family, I usually offer "to go" helpings. I agree with OP, except in the case of his sister requesting the ham at Christmas. If I were serving at a formal dinner, I would be shocked if a guest made that request unprompted.

I don't enjoy leftovers. When I dine in restaurants with friends, I offer uneaten (untouched) portions to anyone who wants to take it. Very seldom refused.

by Anonymousreply 175October 21, 2020 1:18 AM

Everyone in my family offers to wrap the leftovers up for the guests as they leave. If you were a college student visiting someone in my family, you got put on the gravy train so you wouldn't have to cook while you are studying. One of them left with a quarter of a honeybaked ham and the remainder of the macaroni and cheese. And I love my sister's macaroni and cheese...

by Anonymousreply 176October 21, 2020 1:24 AM

I'd argue that it's different with immediate family members - siblings and parents - especially, if you (or they) are still dependent or were very recently dependent.

Also, with those people, they're more likely to offer in the first place.

by Anonymousreply 177October 21, 2020 1:29 AM

I always make way too much food when people come over, so I offer to help people wrap some up and take things home with them. You have to get ahead of these things, OP.

by Anonymousreply 178October 21, 2020 1:31 AM

The most outrageous thing that happened to me as a host: A very good friend brought two bottles of wine to my dinner party as a host gift.

I thanked him but didn't use the wine because it didn't go with what I was serving (but asked him if he would like some).

At the end of the evening, he went into my kitchen picked up the bottles, thanked me for dinner, and left with the wine.

And he is a well-educated person who should know better.

Nothing to do with being well educated. Some of the best educated people I know are also the rudest

by Anonymousreply 179October 21, 2020 1:33 AM

I also know people who have no education to their name who have very fine manners

by Anonymousreply 180October 21, 2020 1:34 AM

R179 - that was his ego - he wanted to you to use them and get compliments about the wine from other guests. Ugh. Does he think highly of himself?

And r180 is correct - education or money has nothing to do with having manners. Never has.

by Anonymousreply 181October 21, 2020 1:44 AM

I've never been invited to a dinner party but I've been offered leftovers from one.

by Anonymousreply 182October 21, 2020 2:18 AM

I got caught up in the dinner party circuit with a foodie ex. So much effort went into planning, shopping and preparing plus cleaning the apartment that for me the best part of hosting was the relaxing following day or two; enjoying grazing on the leftover food and booze in the clear and tidy rooms.

by Anonymousreply 183October 21, 2020 2:23 AM

[quote]So much effort went into planning, shopping and preparing plus cleaning the apartment that for me the best part of hosting was the relaxing following day or two

Thats why being a dinner party queen is a deal breaker for me

by Anonymousreply 184October 21, 2020 2:29 AM

R183 - that's a common post-holiday bliss as well.

Dinner parties are a LOT of work and planning. Add on the stress of whether everything turns out OK and if your guests enjoyed it.

That's why I stick to some good, but tried and true basics. But the relief and sense of accomplishment afterwards is worth it.

Entertaining takes effort, but it is worthwhile.

by Anonymousreply 185October 21, 2020 2:31 AM

Americans generally are extraordinarily gauche and poorly educated in terms of ediquette. A few years in Europe helps, but you trashy Yanks have got to work on this at home. .

by Anonymousreply 186October 21, 2020 2:54 AM

[quote]It was also considered rude to offer flowers because the host would have to set them in a vase or display them, and that’s considered a distraction.

And it is. I hate having to deal with flowers while I'm trying to pull a meal together. In America.

by Anonymousreply 187October 21, 2020 2:57 AM

I give containers of food to guests when I host Thanksgiving.

by Anonymousreply 188October 21, 2020 3:04 AM

R187 if you are trying to pull a meal together when your guest first arrives you are doing it wrong.

The work should be 90+% done before you sit at the table. You should excuse yourself 10 minutes before that to get it on the table. Anything longer is too complicated.

by Anonymousreply 189October 21, 2020 3:04 AM

r189 = why I wouldn't think of having a gay over for dinner

by Anonymousreply 190October 21, 2020 3:11 AM

I'm with R13, but I certainly wouldn't be offended in any way. Now that my dog is dead, I would end up probably throwing their food away. I think it's tantamount to sin to waste food; yet don't particularly like eating someone else's leftovers. They would spare me the moral burden of wasting the food if they took it home, so to ask would never bother me. If they were asking for things not already on their plate, it might bother me, depending on who they were.

by Anonymousreply 191October 21, 2020 3:28 AM

R186 wants to trash Americans, but doesn't know how to spell etiquette.

PS there are plenty of trashy people in your own country - wherever you are from.

by Anonymousreply 192October 21, 2020 3:31 AM

[quote] The next morning he was gone with 400$ from my wallet.

My #1 question about this is not "Why do you put the dollar sign after the number?" (although that too is strange) but rather "Why would you have $400 in your wallet?"

by Anonymousreply 193October 21, 2020 3:33 AM

I know, right R193? I've had the same $20 bill since early March. Nearly everything was credit or debit card before the pandemic. Now absolutely everything is.

All this talk about dinner party etiquette is silly but in a way makes me happy because I can dream of the days when we can actually HAVE dinners again. Maybe in 2021?

by Anonymousreply 194October 21, 2020 3:49 AM

This is why you can’t mingle with people who “work”. They’re just too needy!

by Anonymousreply 195October 21, 2020 4:14 AM

It’s funny your sister wanted a used ham

by Anonymousreply 196October 21, 2020 4:19 AM

Cheap shot R146. Rubbish that Jews serve leftovers at dinner parties. In fact it's more likely for a Jewish host to look askance if anyone hadn't had seconds, let alone not finished what was on their plate. You would be automatically offered to take it home, probably other items as well to be polite. Desserts are customarily offered as well.

I think much of the differences in approaching this matter are cultural. I can see some cultures being more uptight AND stingy, but it certainly wouldn't be Jews, Italians, Hispanics, or Blacks. We all enjoy feeding people, and will be easily offended if you don't eat what's being served.

by Anonymousreply 197October 21, 2020 4:34 AM

[quote] This must be etiquette for gatherings of white people. When black people get together, its customary for everyone to take home a plate of food after. I always have styrofoam containers ready for guests to take what they want. Its only rude if you ask for your plate before everyone has gotten to a chance to eat. If you have a lot of left over food that means the food wasn't good.

If you have very little left over, in my family, that means you didn't cook enough damn food.

by Anonymousreply 198October 21, 2020 4:39 AM

OP here again. Thanks for all the wonderful and thoughtful comments. I have belonged to many gourmet dining groups from all over the US. While customs differ, good manners are pretty standard. The clods I mention in the original post are a rarity. Sharing food is a lovely custom that hopefully survives COVID.

by Anonymousreply 199October 21, 2020 7:47 AM

This thread is classic DL ... love it.

by Anonymousreply 200October 21, 2020 11:17 AM

This is the most ghetto white trashy thing I have ever heard. Wtf? Asking for leftovers at a guest's house. Jesus take the wheel.

by Anonymousreply 201October 21, 2020 11:25 AM

What if Brian Singer brings a young hopeful to a party, to share. Does Brian leave with the used goods?

by Anonymousreply 202October 21, 2020 11:29 AM

R161 obviously not in Italy, Greece, India, anywhere in the Middle East etc. There it's almost an insult not to eat until you physically can't.

by Anonymousreply 203October 21, 2020 2:40 PM

I was at a neighbor’s dinner party with my ex. The host reeked of liquor from the time we got in. He was planning to grill steaks. He had two crazy Dalmatians and they were manic from strangers being in the house. We entered the kitchen after drinks in the living room and the dogs had eaten the raw steaks off the kitchen counter, along with a whole stick of butter. I think he ordered Chinese food. I couldn’t wait to leave.

by Anonymousreply 204October 21, 2020 3:38 PM

R204 - that's another thing. Unless they are extremely docile, keep your pets in another room or somewhere else.

They steal the show and become a major topic of conversation - ALWAYS.

I want to get to know people - not talk about their damn dog intermittingly for 3 hours.

by Anonymousreply 205October 21, 2020 3:53 PM

[quote]It’s funny your sister wanted a used ham

Another programming note from black get togethers. Black people will sometimes ask if you're going to use the left over hambone. You can freeze it and use it later to season other dishes like black eyed peas and collard greens.

by Anonymousreply 206October 21, 2020 4:38 PM

I took a friend out to dinner. He orderd food to go....for his roommate.

by Anonymousreply 207October 21, 2020 4:43 PM

R196 - used ham? It's leftover ham. And it would be sliced and put on the buffet table for everyone at her Christmas Open House. Nobody 'used' it.

I'm sure the sister wouldn't ask if there were just a few pieces left. Those hams are MASSIVE - there must have been a considerable amount left and she thought she would help out in taking it off his hands.

And it's his family member, his sister, asking for it - not some random.

by Anonymousreply 208October 21, 2020 4:46 PM

Cheapskates invariably suck.

by Anonymousreply 209October 21, 2020 4:50 PM

Cheap

by Anonymousreply 210October 21, 2020 4:50 PM

R207, that you paid for? No,

by Anonymousreply 211October 21, 2020 4:53 PM

I'm from the Midwest, people often offer leftovers to take home. "Let me make you a plate to take home" and you get a nice plate Saran Wrapped with dinner. It's rude to say no.

That said, I've never run into anyone who ASKED for leftovers.

by Anonymousreply 212October 21, 2020 5:01 PM

This sounds hilariously rude. My extended family does potluck-style get togethers where it’s tradition to divvy up leftovers, but I would absolutely die before asking a host for a doggy bag for my leftovers unprompted. I can’t even imagine just straight up asking for a to-go plate of an entirely extra portion. That is definitely an etiquette breach in any culture.

by Anonymousreply 213October 21, 2020 5:27 PM

[quote] The host should offer leftovers to take home.

What?? Why? They just entertained and fed you in their own home. Why would they have any obligation to provide additional food for you to take home? There’s no logic whatsoever in your statement, just pure entitlement.

[quote]I have brought wine to my good friends house and we didn't drink it, so I took it home. They have done the same thing.

I’ve heard of people like you, R33. Thankfully I’ve never encountered your type in the wild, but I was raised right and I don’t associate with selfish, completely tacky people as a rule.

by Anonymousreply 214October 21, 2020 5:33 PM

I can’t believe people show up as invited guests with wine, get offended if it isn’t consumed alongside a meal they had no hand in planning, and then steal it back when they leave.

Wine is not required to bring to a dinner party. It’s not a BYOB. A gift is nice but not required either. If you give something as a gift-and wine at a dinner party is a gift and not the required price pf entry that gets voided if unused by the end of the event-you absolutely cannot take it back without asking, and asking to take back a gift is pretty much universally looked down upon.

Why does this need explaining?

by Anonymousreply 215October 21, 2020 5:41 PM

I’d just take it as a compliment that they liked the streak. I’m relieved when hosts don’t offer. I’m not always keen on hosts forcing food on me to take home especially if it’s been sitting out for hours, They offer, I politely refuse, they insist...it usually ends up in the bin later. It’s just part of the game.

by Anonymousreply 216October 21, 2020 5:50 PM

What would our precious darfur orphan say?

Hanging my head in shame.

by Anonymousreply 217October 21, 2020 8:29 PM

Never have I ever.

by Anonymousreply 218October 21, 2020 8:48 PM

Is it frowned upon to peruse the trash can of people who have thrown out leftovers given to them by overbearing hosts?

by Anonymousreply 219October 22, 2020 3:53 AM

I’m always amazed when guests take home the uneaten food or unopened wine they brought to the party. Let the host(s) decide what to do with it. Slightly off topic, I was once the guest of honor at a banquet and was presented with a beautiful floral arrangement that I was encouraged to take home and enjoy. So I did. A few weeks later, I got a call from one of the organizers asking for his vase back. Sure enough, there was a return address label stuck on the bottom of the vase.

by Anonymousreply 220October 22, 2020 5:02 AM

What will happen to the children growing up during the COVID event? We won't be able to take them to a local restaurant and show them how to have table manners, nor are we having guests into our homes. I read something today that stated that courtship and meeting people will be super difficult if you can only chat on the phone and have video chats. This will affect the DL community somewhat , but will be devastating to reproduction between straights if they can't smell each others pheromones as part of the courtship/mating ritual. I may be a bit off topic, but wanted to point out how important the dining ritual is, as evidenced by a couple of posts upthread from other countries.

by Anonymousreply 221October 24, 2020 4:11 AM

If your host asks you if want to take leftovers home, it's fine.

Otherwise, it's verboten. You may not ask for a container, you may not ask for a plate, you may not ask.

by Anonymousreply 222October 24, 2020 4:24 AM

R221 Parents can show their videos these instructional videos as part of the COVID-19 home school curriculum.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 223October 24, 2020 4:50 AM

Good Manners never go out of style. I wonder how Meghan Markle felt when she dined with the Queen!

by Anonymousreply 224October 24, 2020 6:57 AM

Oh, come now, R224, we all know what happened...

She didn't understand the place settings. She didn't like the fresh and simple menus preferred by the Queen. She didn't like the dress code and most earth shattering of all, she wasn't given a VOICE. She didn't FEEL HEARD. It was a moment of personal tragedy and deeply painful for Smegs.

That very day, Smegs wrote in her OnlyFans Blog, "As God is my witness, I'll never be quiet again!" and she never was. The End.

by Anonymousreply 225October 24, 2020 7:40 AM

I threw my sister's turkey out the window once.

by Anonymousreply 226October 24, 2020 7:54 AM

Lol, R225. You know that's exactly what happened.

by Anonymousreply 227October 24, 2020 7:57 AM

R225, she also wasn't asked if she's OKAY and wasn't offered leftovers to take home and enjoy.

by Anonymousreply 228October 24, 2020 7:58 AM

BASTARDS!

After 97,000 Dangling Tendrils posts, we know our Smegs.

Is she OKAY? ASK HER!

NOW ASK HER AGAIN!

by Anonymousreply 229October 24, 2020 5:19 PM

[quote] What will happen to the children growing up during the COVID event? We won't be able to take them to a local restaurant and show them how to have table manners, nor are we having guests into our homes.

You teach children table manners at home, not at a restaurant and you don’t wait until you have guests.

by Anonymousreply 230October 24, 2020 7:43 PM

We weren't allowed in restaurants with my parents until after they had sufficiently civilized us at home.

When our table manners and ability to sit through dinner without being annoying or unruly had progressed to an appropriate level, we were taken out with them.

As young children, we were fed early in the kitchen and my parents ate with their guests later in the dining room.

It's a training process that conscientious parents go through with their children.

by Anonymousreply 231October 24, 2020 8:15 PM

More than one person on this thread has referred to "DLCAS" and I can't figure out what it means. I hope it's not poor manners for me to inquire?

by Anonymousreply 232October 25, 2020 1:45 AM

It's only one person, r232. It stands for Data Lounge Class Anxiety Syndrome (or some such strangulation).

by Anonymousreply 233October 25, 2020 1:46 AM

Ah! Thank you, R233. Now that I know what the acronym stands for, I just have to understand what "class anxiety" is and why someone would bother to suffer from it.

by Anonymousreply 234October 25, 2020 2:02 AM

Gawd, some of these replies are making my head spin!

Some of you people are positively rustic! One need not read DL to figure out what decent etiquette demands of being a dinner guest at someone's home, for Christ's sake.

Bring a hostess gift, something not expected to be opened and served to guests! You are not the host, not planning the menu. NO deli flowers, your host hasn't the time to root around for a vase for your shitty roses!

Eat what you're served and compliment whoever cooked it, EVEN IF YOU DON'T LIKE IT! Move it around on the plate, and act grateful- you can stop at Wendy's on your way home!

Arrive on time! They can't keep dinner in a state of suspended animation while late-comers straggle in. This isn't the Black Party.

After you notice the first guests leaving, YOU LEAVE TOO. They're not running a Bed & Breakfast. Do NOT ask for a doggy bag under ANY circumstances, even if you're still hungry and don't cook....learn!

Do not lean against the walls, put your feet on the furniture, chew with your mouth open, or lick your fingers or silverware!

Promptly send a thank you card IN THE MAIL, even if you have to buy a stamp!

Invite the hosts to your next event or dinner as soon as you can.

These are a good start and all are mandatory!

by Anonymousreply 235October 25, 2020 3:33 AM

R235 Can you please tell us what acceptable gifts for a host and/or hostess are? Genuine question.

by Anonymousreply 236October 25, 2020 3:58 AM

you send thank you cards after a dinner? Do you have no close friends?

by Anonymousreply 237October 25, 2020 4:04 AM

R236, a basil plant or jar of marmalade.

Seriously, something along that line.

by Anonymousreply 238October 25, 2020 4:44 AM

I've never had a guest ask to take home left-overs, but a good host would simply say: "I am so glad that you enjoyed it" and find a suitable container.

Always select a container which you will not miss because it will almost certainly never be returned. Everyone should have a few spare containers for new neighbors, holiday treats, etc..

Thank-you notes are not required for a dinner party unless you were the guest of honor. Emails are fine otherwise.

But the #1 Rule for a terrific host is to make people comfortable. If you're critical of a guest because they've failed to behave a certain way at dinner, you probably shouldn't host.

And always put a book of matches in the loo!

by Anonymousreply 239October 25, 2020 4:48 AM

I got tired of giving dinner parties in the 1980s because of the rules set out in r235. It all turned into such gossip and bitchiness, especially over the "can't go anywhere emptyhanded" giftgiving. One woman had regifted to me something someone else in my dining room had given her, I think a bottle of wine, and it turned into the biggest deal of all time. Nothing I could do could smooth it over for some reason.

Another time, an alcoholic accused me of trying to get him drunk on purpose. The chef who'd made the stuffed lobster had used some sort of sherry or cognac, and of course, the alcoholic thought it was me trying to get him drunk.

I gave up. I either had dessert buffets or entertained people I already knew very well. NO GIFTS ALLOWED in either case.

I wonder what etiquette arbiter YMF has to say about the relationship between dinner party giftgiving and DLCAS.

by Anonymousreply 240October 25, 2020 4:56 AM

"Having decent manners" isn't "rules" r240.

You sound like the type who doesn't get asked many places, or you'd have discovered these notions all by yourself.

by Anonymousreply 241October 25, 2020 5:00 AM

R238 What if they hate basil or marmalade? THEN WHAT?

by Anonymousreply 242October 25, 2020 5:00 AM

r241 Alright, sweetheart.

by Anonymousreply 243October 25, 2020 5:06 AM

Re for host gifts if you have no ideas, go to the kitchen section of TJ Maxx — tea, coffee, gourmet jam, a set of cheese spreaders, a variety of hot sauces, fun shaped ice cube trays, coasters, some nice dish towels. Don’t spend over $15.

by Anonymousreply 244October 25, 2020 5:07 AM

[quote][R235] Can you please tell us what acceptable gifts for a host and/or hostess are? Genuine question.

I was a waiter/butler in fancy homes for years. I'll tell you what people do most.

The two most popular are a small box of nice chocolates or maybe nuts, and sending an orchid is what rich people sometimes do, believe it or not. I like the more modest candy or premium nuts - not Planter's.

You can bring wine to a very casual dinner party where you know the hosts. Your boss already has a closet full of "gift wine" he will never drink. It gets opened only if they're hosting a fundraiser and don't really need better wine to be served.

by Anonymousreply 245October 25, 2020 5:07 AM

"All are mandatory!" is your very last statement, r241. Sounds like rules to me.

by Anonymousreply 246October 25, 2020 5:09 AM

Yes, good manners (everything I wrote) are always mandatory. I have no idea why you are making such a miserable fuss out of civility, you're really digging in, huh?

I'm reminded of the movie "Garbo Talks" where Anne Bancroft says, "When your head's in the toilet, don't blow bubbles."

by Anonymousreply 247October 25, 2020 5:15 AM

When we used to host parties before Covid, there was always way too much food and people were encouraged to take whatever they wanted home. My grandmother never let anyone leave her home without a gift or something. I like that, it’s kind.

by Anonymousreply 248October 25, 2020 5:19 AM

If someone brought cupcakes, add one to the bags of food you are sending people home with.

by Anonymousreply 249October 25, 2020 5:29 AM

I see what you did there, r249!

by Anonymousreply 250October 25, 2020 6:02 AM

People are bloody heathens. I'm not a fan of leftovers. I despise carrying left over food with me. I cannot even carry the restaurant doggie bag to the car.

by Anonymousreply 251October 25, 2020 6:15 AM

I'm sorry that most of you don't have true friends you can be yourself around and just enjoy hanging out.

I'm quite shocked the DLers aren't trying to out do each other with stories of hired chefs and caterers for intimate dinner parties and leaving the leftovers for the staff.

There are things that matter in life and they aren't on this thread.

by Anonymousreply 252October 25, 2020 11:35 AM

OP, it’s really tacky, but it’s not a big deal.

These are HIGHLY forgivable acts, no?

I had a friend who used to do this. She eventually moved to Colorado, however, I was just gracious whenever she did so, and I let it go immediately.

Not a big deal.

by Anonymousreply 253October 25, 2020 11:41 AM

Do NOT bring kitchen towels as a hostessing gift! sheesh!

by Anonymousreply 254October 25, 2020 11:50 AM

What about cheap food containers?

by Anonymousreply 255October 25, 2020 2:43 PM

[quote]What about cheap food containers?

No. There are some inexpensive sets like Pyrex Simply Store which can double as meal prep.

And if the guest asks how they can get it back to you, just say that they must bring it when you next invite them. Whether or not you plan on it.

Don't send them home with a sad little paper sack or environmentally-unfriendly plastic bag. Order several Zabar's or another shop's reusable bags.

The same approach will work for welcome gifts for new neighbors (Pyrex can be reheated in a jiffy), picnic dishes (especially salads but also marinades), and that perfect lamb tagine for the newly-widowed lady in 21A.

This is not complicated.

by Anonymousreply 256October 25, 2020 11:35 PM

R239 is a dinner party Nazi.

by Anonymousreply 257October 25, 2020 11:37 PM

Whatever happened to simple Tupperware?

by Anonymousreply 258October 26, 2020 2:20 AM

r252, no one but you is making that argument.

The OP was relating an experience with new acquaintances, and others have posted about slightly more formal or work-related gatherings. No one is stopping you from taking your shoes off at the table and bringing your own Tupperware to your friend's dinner party to cram with uneaten hors d'oeuvres, and extra slices of pie for tomorrow.

by Anonymousreply 259October 26, 2020 5:03 AM

So what, you probably were going to throw away their steak. In many cultures guests always leave with a plate of food. Your complaint sounds like some snobby arriviste bullshit.

by Anonymousreply 260October 26, 2020 5:42 AM

[quote]Your complaint sounds like some snobby arriviste bullshit.

Oh, the irony.

by Anonymousreply 261October 26, 2020 10:35 AM

It is okay for the host to offer, but it is never okay for the guest to ask, unless you are family or close friends for whom this is tradition. When you are a guest in someone's home. you act according to their traditions and cues. You don't assume that their norms are also yours as well.

That's it. That's the consensus.

by Anonymousreply 262October 26, 2020 2:31 PM

why would op making a etiquette post, if he was okay with this? Obviously, he was not okay with this.

by Anonymousreply 263October 27, 2020 9:31 PM

OP, if you weren't such a selfish, greedy FAT WHORE you would have offered them the leftovers to take home, because THAT is what a host DOES.

by Anonymousreply 264October 27, 2020 9:33 PM

Never come across this, but it depends on the guest. A (newly made) friend would get tupps, but a difficult guest gets an offer of a plastic bag with an apology for not having anything more suitable to hand.

by Anonymousreply 265October 27, 2020 10:02 PM

What kind of people go around begging for leftovers at a dinner party ??? Ive been to many and not once did a host ever offer guests leftovers . Nor have I ever heard anyone ask for a doggie bag for their uneaten portions ! I dont understand any of this !

by Anonymousreply 266October 28, 2020 12:20 AM

I have been saddled with leftovers only at family reunions by my grandmother. It sounds super rude to ask for any even at a friends' house; even ruder to impose your precious food on guests, even if they are good friends. They had to put up with your cooking all night - enough!

by Anonymousreply 267October 28, 2020 12:40 AM

I have an upstairs neighbor who doesn't feel a dinner party is complete unless everyone takes away a fresh plate of food. She's desperate for people to love her. It's fucking weird. The dinners are about holding people captive so she can yammer away for several hours. I always remember an engagement at the 40-minute mark. Sometimes I just leave and don't come back without saying anything.

If it's a choice between dumping food and giving it to people to take home, I'm happy to give it to them. I would just assume the person is broke or doesn't know how to cook.

by Anonymousreply 268October 28, 2020 12:52 AM

R268, why do you go if you hold her in such contempt? And why would she invite you?

by Anonymousreply 269October 28, 2020 12:53 AM

R264 is the kind of trailer trash that picks the crispy skin off the turkey at her Gum-Gum's house so it's all bare meat by the time Pappy spits his chaw into the coffee can to say "grace."

She don' get no leftovers cuz she eat 'em all 'fo she goes home.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 270October 28, 2020 1:05 AM

R270 that sounds more like YOUR family, or the ones that will talk to your nasty, corrosive ass.

Fuck yourself with a rusty lead pipe, you trashy cunt.

by Anonymousreply 271October 28, 2020 1:15 AM

If it's a nice, older person who doesn't drive, then I'm happy to pack up an extra slice of cake, leftover turkey for turkey sandwiches, etc. Depends on the situation. If someone is expecting it or demanding it, then there's no pleasure in the situation.

by Anonymousreply 272October 28, 2020 1:18 AM

You should be happy someone likes your food enough to ask to take the leftover home. Stop complaining about petty stuff.

by Anonymousreply 273October 28, 2020 1:20 AM

Oh man, This cracks me up.

About 20 years ago when I was in college I had a part time job at a store.

One of the old timers had a few co workers over for dinner.

One of them was NOTORIOUSLY cheap, but a really nice person beyond that quality.

That following week one of the co workers was appalled as she shared the story of the dinner..

Each of the guests brought a dessert or a hostess gift...At the end of the evening as they all started to leave after a nice time, the cheap co worker went over and started wrapping up her pie. The hosts said to her how wonderful the pie was. So she says disappointedly, "Oh, well..then I will leave you a piece ".. She cuts a small piece, leaves it on a plate and then proceeds to wrap up her pie and LEAVE WITH IT.

by Anonymousreply 274October 28, 2020 1:23 AM

All these people taking of Tupperware... you know how expensive that shit is? It would cost more than the food itself.

by Anonymousreply 275October 28, 2020 2:22 PM

I usually arrive at these events with my snackpurse empty. That thing is LOADED when I leave early. It’s free food bitches!

by Anonymousreply 276October 28, 2020 2:24 PM

After a dinner at her home my aunt forces food onto me to take home.

by Anonymousreply 277October 28, 2020 2:26 PM

Not to worry, r277. Aunts (and other blood relations) are acceptable according to Datalounge's Doyennes of Dining Donations and Decency.

by Anonymousreply 278October 28, 2020 2:31 PM

I always offer any leftover dessert for guests to take home because I don’t want leftover sweets in the house. . I never offer the leftover dinner because I’m part Scot and cheap and that’s another meal for me.

by Anonymousreply 279November 1, 2020 5:41 PM

Obviously none of you have had Lou Grant as a guest.

by Anonymousreply 280November 1, 2020 5:55 PM

I've never experienced this. Family gatherings where it's tradition for people to "take a plate" - sure. But, a dinner party? I've never seen it. Sounds nuts.

by Anonymousreply 281November 1, 2020 5:56 PM

I think what it comes down to is this. If you are inflexible when it comes to accepting different manners to your own, don’t have dinner parties, if you do you are intentionally opening yourself up to a situation where you will destroy your friendship. I think we’re all grown up enough to realize that not everyone is raised the same, and that the concept of a standard etiquette is antiquated and inoperable. If you want to have a dinner party and not be in a rage after you must accept this as true. If you refuse to budge just don’t have them. If you’re such a nightmare that you’re going to lose a friendship because a friend of yours brought you a cheap bottle of wine, don’t allow the situation to happen. Invite them over for drinks. Go out for a drink. Meet them at a restaurant with counter service. Figure it out. But you can’t expect the universe to bend for you.

by Anonymousreply 282November 1, 2020 6:03 PM

Food is love. Nourishing someone is love. Especially these days.

by Anonymousreply 283November 1, 2020 6:29 PM

LOL

I can't believe this thread is still going, though given DL's Maiden Aunt Brigade, it should be no surprise.

But at R130, the OP noted that in both instances the guests in question were completely shit-faced drunk and probably had no idea what they were saying.

It was not as if a cheap-but-sober guest put in a request for a doggie bag.

by Anonymousreply 284November 1, 2020 6:35 PM

I would never think of asking to take home leftovers from my plate or from anyone else's. I have been asked if I'd like to take some dessert home with me before I leave and that I'll accept with thanks.

by Anonymousreply 285November 2, 2020 1:32 AM

Since COVID hit, the invites have obviously dried up. It’s a real bother because I used to take lots of food home from parties, often enough food for days. Now I have to buy it myself which sucks.

by Anonymousreply 286November 2, 2020 10:41 AM

If someone served me a huge ribeye, and I was already full from appetizers and drunk, yes, I might ask to take it home if I could only eat a few bites rather than see it be thrown in the garbage. And would make a joke about it and praise my host for the meal. But if it was a carved roast beef, I would only take one small piece and if I couldn't finish that, would never ask for it (and more of the dinner) to be packed up to take home.

by Anonymousreply 287November 3, 2020 3:35 PM

I haven’t read through the thread yet, but “family” often have different boundaries that friends or strangers.

My Dad grew up with a chair, handmade bury his cousin, in his bed room. He didn’t buy it and wasn’t specifically given it. But he felt like it was his. For some reason, his sister felt like it was hers. They were close for their entire 90 years but my father always wanted that damn chair back. This is not the kind of problem you’d have with strangers or friends because those boundaries are better defined.

by Anonymousreply 288November 3, 2020 3:42 PM

When guests ask for takeaway food at a dinner in my house, I will only give it to them wrapped in tinfoil, not in a dish, because I know they will not get the dish back to me. If that's tacky, that's just too bad: it's far tackier to ask for the leftovers.

by Anonymousreply 289November 3, 2020 4:28 PM

I always make too little food so I don’t have this issue.

by Anonymousreply 290November 3, 2020 5:18 PM

If someone asks and it has already been plated, then yeah, sure. It ain’t goin in Tupperware though. I have some cheap stuff that I take to work sometimes and toss it rather than ferry it home.

If it’s still on the platter it just depends upon whether I have plans for it. If it’s something I prepared, I might be flattered and say “of course”. If it’s just a steak, then no. Fuck no.

Flip side, I don’t force it on people. If somebody is really fawning over. a dish I will offer ONCE to send them home with some. This has happened more than once. But like posters above, if it’s desert, and especially if I paid for it because I am not much of a baker. I am very open about that fact. I will offer because it is usually high end

by Anonymousreply 291November 3, 2020 5:51 PM

How would you say no if a guest asks for something you're not willing to give, R291?

by Anonymousreply 292November 3, 2020 5:57 PM

Just make some shit up about a friend or family member that couldn't be there or ate dog food that I was planning on saving the leftovers for.

by Anonymousreply 293November 3, 2020 6:01 PM

for them, before the grammar brigade releases the hounds.

Christ. It is not that hard.

by Anonymousreply 294November 3, 2020 6:02 PM

R293's reply is good. Or: "So glad you liked it! But I've got plans for the leftovers", followed by "I'd be glad to e-mail you the recipe", or "I bought it at XYZ".

by Anonymousreply 295November 3, 2020 6:05 PM

Does anyone else here enjoy taking a ton of leftovers home and dumping them straight into the trash? I dunno why but it makes me feel so good. Like I’m saving others from stuffing their faces. Like I’m some sort of health guru.

by Anonymousreply 296November 3, 2020 6:07 PM

I have the opposite problem of people trying to push leftovers on me because I'm single. I rarely want to take home leftovers (from a dinner party). I hate throwing away food and that's what usually happens when people are adamant that I take home food.

by Anonymousreply 297November 3, 2020 6:26 PM

R297, just say no, thank you and learn how to be assertive.

by Anonymousreply 298November 3, 2020 6:28 PM

There are some people who don't cook or rarely cook, so taking home leftovers is a treat, and they will have a meal or two which all they have to do is reheat. I have a neighbor who lives on the next block and he once asked if he can have some leftover to take home. Why would I mind? I know he doesn't cook, so since then I ask him and he accepts. I feel good about offering him some leftovers.

by Anonymousreply 299November 3, 2020 6:29 PM

[quote] [R297], just say no, thank you and learn how to be assertive.

R298, I am more assertive now. I no longer take home leftovers unless offered and it's something I really would enjoy eating at home.

by Anonymousreply 300November 3, 2020 6:31 PM

[quote] I have the opposite problem of people trying to push leftovers on me because I'm single. I rarely want to take home leftovers (from a dinner party). I hate throwing away food and that's what usually happens when people are adamant that I take home food.

I've found it's as cultural thing. My friends who are East Coasters or who are Italian-American (or Jewish-American) are always shoving leftovers at me because they seem to feel some sort of responsibility to make sure their guests keep eating after the actual meal. I will only accept leftovers if it's not in a dish i have to return to them, and I state this politely but very clearly. And then usually i throw the leftovers away when i get home.

by Anonymousreply 301November 3, 2020 6:54 PM

I always send people home with food. It'll just rot in my fridge so why not let it rot on other people's fridges and I don't have to look at it three months later.

by Anonymousreply 302November 3, 2020 8:04 PM
by Anonymousreply 303December 21, 2020 3:14 AM

I take home food from my Grindr “dates”, most in secret without them knowing. Is this normal?

by Anonymousreply 304December 21, 2020 3:19 AM

Culturally east coast Italians & Jews are raised to feel that if you are hosting you must NEVER run out of food. The classic WASP dinner party where there is a lovely meal but not even the possibility of seconds just does not compute. If you prepare six pork chops for six guests you will get talked about afterwards - not necessarily in a negative way but more for them to process their cognitive dissonance.

A situation where there are not only seconds, but another entirely unnecessary course is normal, and even after they offer everyone doggie bags there will still be plenty of leftovers in the fridge.

by Anonymousreply 305January 5, 2021 9:36 PM

No, Miss Chadwick, I think you're UNDERreacting.

by Anonymousreply 306January 5, 2021 9:42 PM

It's clear that many posters have only been invited to eat at a relative's home, and don't understand that being invited to a dinner party at your boss or manager's home is different. A dinner party includes a dinner, but is less about the actual meal than the social or professional aspect. Everyone should learn how to navigate both gracefully.

by Anonymousreply 307January 6, 2021 2:05 AM

[quote] Culturally east coast Italians & Jews are raised to feel that if you are hosting you must NEVER run out of food. The classic WASP dinner party where there is a lovely meal but not even the possibility of seconds just does not compute.

When I was little, I ate dinner at a neighbor's house (6 people total, incl. me). There was one piece of meat (beef steak) on a plate in the middle of the table. There were also little dishes of salad (iceberg lettuce and maybe two small wedges of tomato on each dish, no dressing). I looked at the steak on the table and thought to myself: "That's enough steak, comfortably, for two people." Dividing that steak up by 6 did not compute.

by Anonymousreply 308January 6, 2021 2:27 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!