Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Where do Chicagoans summer?

We’ve seen the 2500 threads on New York… New York State Long Island the Hamptons etc. etc. and where people summer etc, How about the thousands of wealthy people in Chicago? Where do they summer? Are there cute little towns in Wisconsin and Michigan that the wealthy flock to? Where do the gays go?

by Anonymousreply 3910/19/2020

Nobody cares

by Anonymousreply 110/17/2020

Lake Geneva

by Anonymousreply 210/17/2020

Saugatuck

by Anonymousreply 310/17/2020

Lake Geneva looks beautiful!

by Anonymousreply 410/17/2020

Wisconsin and Michigan mainly. Lake Geneva is within a few hours if the city. Door County WI somewhat further afield. Then much farther to the north, Minoqua, Three Lake, Eagle River. Michigan mostly along the Lake Michigan shoreline from just over the border all the way to Mackinac Island.

by Anonymousreply 510/17/2020

The gays are definitely Saugatuck. Some of the artsier gays will go to southwest WI or near Twin Cities (just east over the WI line are a few cute little towns).

Since Chicago is filled with a lot of people from somewhere else, those people will tend to flock back to where they grew up or lived to summer. I knew some guys who owned small cottages on Lake Erie in OH and PA.

by Anonymousreply 610/17/2020

Saugatuck is for the poor common gays. It is a very poor mans fire island and that is an insult to even use that type of comparison.

Lake Geneva is where the better summer homes are.

by Anonymousreply 710/17/2020

Fucking Wisconsin. They hate them and call them TIBs Typical Illinois Bastards. My husband thought I was exaggerating when I'd bitched about their nasal voiced, don't give a fuck about nature, my way or the highway nature until our honeymoon and a couple of TIBs loudly polluted our diving boat and whole day. I mean, I guess some towns like the tourist trade, but they're terrible. All of the time

by Anonymousreply 810/17/2020

Eagle River

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 910/17/2020

Lake Geneva may have fine homes but it is for straight Trumper trash. No gay man I know would deign to even drive through that town.

by Anonymousreply 1010/17/2020

R8 No, idiot. It's FIBs. Fucking Illinois Bastards

by Anonymousreply 1110/17/2020

TIBS sounds like a Midwestern version of Massholes. You learn something new every day.

by Anonymousreply 1210/17/2020

Lake Delavan - the poor man's Lake Geneva. The circus people used to hole up there in winter. An enormous elephant was buried in the lake in winter. No reports of subsequent activity.

My friends had a large 1. BR cabin with a boat slip. My friend would crow the assessment is only $400 -- and pause for effect -- PER YEAR!

by Anonymousreply 1310/17/2020

Harbor Springs, MI

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1410/17/2020

R8, when I lived in Northern Wisconsin, Illinoisans were referred to as FIBs (Fucking Illinois Bastards.) They took over the area in summer and drove like maniacs, but they were great for the local economy.

by Anonymousreply 1510/17/2020

Lake Geneva

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1610/17/2020

R15 - I swear, we were nice. Average people get embarrassed by their own... Geneva: Unrequited White Jerks.

Delavan -- we went to the Walmart on a Friday night and we all had a GREAT time.

by Anonymousreply 1710/17/2020

Traverse City?

by Anonymousreply 1810/17/2020

I went to Delavan Lake as a kid, hated it.

by Anonymousreply 1910/17/2020

After we left Boulder, we sautés year round At our summer place in Charlevoix,MI

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2010/17/2020

Stay not sautés Never had autocorrect place an an accent on a word before.

by Anonymousreply 2110/17/2020

We went to the UP every summer, because yhat’s Where my mom’s family lived. Beautiful country, but wintry weather even in August. My cousins went to the Wisconsin Dells every summer. I finally pestered my folks into taking me there one year—even at ten I could tell how trashy it was. Alas, we did not go to the Tommy Bartlett Water Show—you have to draw the line somewhere!

by Anonymousreply 2210/17/2020

R10 that’s because you’re just common gay ghetto trash. No one would want to see the likes of you with your odd haircut and your rainbow bracelets. Please, keep OUT! Stay in Sagatuck in your pink speedo.

by Anonymousreply 2310/17/2020

R13 here. Yes! Delevan was my first Walmart. A Chicago Walmart would've been challenging, if I even knew where one could be found.

The 4th of July that seemed to be combined with Harvard, Illinois was an incredible hometown treat. Folks brought out their machinery, old vintage tractors, etc. People REALLY cared about the parade. I swear they would have brought out combines if the streets could accommodate them. Also got great Mexican food, because, of course, where hard work is to be done...

And TONS of grotesque Harley bikers.. (Wisconsin, after all) Delavan -- we went to the Walmart on a Friday night and we all had a GREAT time.

by Anonymousreply 2410/17/2020

^^I was at that Walmart Friday night, not that great. The Lake Geneva Walmart is better, the only Walmart I've ever been to that has Rolls Royces, Bentleys and Lambos in the parking lot

by Anonymousreply 2510/17/2020

Was the Delavan Walmart across from the dog track? I was there in the late 80's.

by Anonymousreply 2610/17/2020

^^Yes, but that's long gone replaced by a giant Fleet Farm store

by Anonymousreply 2710/17/2020

Wisconsin is filled with lakes, rivers & other natural areas. Those areas have cottages, cabins, inns, timeshares, condos, campgrounds (from very primitive to very modern), retreats, airbnbs, any type of vacation style you could want. Many spots are just a couple hours from Chicago.

by Anonymousreply 2810/17/2020

Is there anywhere south of Chicago (in the rest of Illinois) that makes for good vacationing?

by Anonymousreply 2910/18/2020

^^Not many, but there are a lot of lakes just northwest of Chicago called the Chain-o-Lakes that are nice. The reason being the glaciers left a lot of hills and lakes to the north of Chicago up into Wisconsin. The glaciers stopped at the south end of Lake Michigan, so there's nothing but flat farmland south of Chicago.

The geology nerd in me finds it fascinating that none of the topography, lakes and rivers in the area are more then 15,000 years old when before it was all under a mile thick ice sheet of the last glacier.

Another interesting factoid about Delavan Lake were all the Native American mounds found at the north end of the lake, many parts of which are still there part of a big golf course at Lake Lawn Lodge. In the 1800s a farmer found the remains of entombed giants where the lodge is. Skeletons of people who were 7-8' tall that no one has ever figured out who they were... and that's about as interesting as it gets in southern Wisconsin ;-)

by Anonymousreply 3010/18/2020

Upper Peninsula of, Michigan, Door County Wisconsin, Traverse City Michigan, Minoqua, WI lake area. Basically anything north of Chicago, which gets very hot in the summer. South of Chicago is a whole lot of empty nothingness. I lived in Chicago for 5 years and cannot think of any reason to ever go back. That said, I prefer forested and mountainous areas that I experienced in the east coast where I was born. I now live in Seattle, where I am by choice. Perfect climate (for me) and scenery is unparalleled. I also lived in Florida and Atlanta, no and no. This may be more info than you need!

by Anonymousreply 3110/18/2020

R31 I agree with you re: Seattle. The weather is amazing and so is the scenery. People are very strange though. It’s not as friendly as Chicago.

by Anonymousreply 3210/18/2020

R30 You and I would get along very well.

by Anonymousreply 3310/18/2020

^^Ah, another latent geology nerd :)

Earth Science was my favorite subject in school

by Anonymousreply 3410/18/2020

[Quote]Skeletons of people who were 7-8' tall that no one has ever figured out who they were...

Actually, it sounds a lot like a myth. Which explains how in 15 years in Chicago and spending time around Delavan, I never heard about it. The locals probably know it's a myth.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3510/18/2020

Sorry, New York.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3610/18/2020

@r35, I grew up in Chicago and on that lake and the story is part of our local history. Of all the stories, articles, newspaper clippings and pictures on the subject you find the one skeptic, but of course none of that can come close to your 15 years of being around Chicago and near Delavan... that one time

by Anonymousreply 3710/18/2020

R34 Oh god definitely I’m a huge geology nerd!

by Anonymousreply 3810/18/2020

^^Yep, every hill, lake, river and rock formation, I've got to know how it got there and what was there before. Growing up when that wasn't enough I would read maps for fun ;-)

by Anonymousreply 3910/19/2020
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Don't you just LOVE clicking on these things on every single site you visit? I know we do! You can thank the EU parliament for making everyone in the world click on these pointless things while changing absolutely nothing. If you are interested you can take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT and we'll set a dreaded cookie to make it go away. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!