Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

John Leguizamo compares Latino voters for Trump to "Roaches for RAID"

John Leguizamo slammed Latino support of President Trump in a new interview with Real Time’s Bill Maher.

On Friday, the Critical Thinking actor and director appeared virtually on HBO’s Real Time With Bill Maher and responded to a report suggesting that President Trump is popular among young Latino voters.

“There was an article I saw in the paper this week that talked about how ... Trump is doing rather well with with young Latino men because of the machismo factor. I see you shaking your head,” Maher told Leguizamo, likely citing an Oct. 14 New York Times article stating that nearly 30 percent of Hispanic voters say they support him, “despite his anti-immigration rhetoric and policies.”

“Latin people for Republicans are like roaches for Raid. Let’s just get real,” Leguizamo told Maher. “I just feel like there’s a level of self-hate or just lack of care for the rest of your Latin brothers and sisters who are in cages, who are being demonized by this president."

Leguizamo added, “Hate crimes against Latin people are way up. How can you not ... 23 people were shot in El Paso for just being Latin, and you don’t care so you’re gonna vote for this braggadocio president?” referring to the 2019 mass shooting in El Paso, Texas, that killed 20 people and left dozens more injured. “I just feel like it’s self-defeating and selfish."

The actor suggested that President Trump was attempting to gain supporters by downplaying Biden’s faith. “They’re microtargeting Latin people in Arizona through WhatsApp ... and they’re spreading this stuff that Biden is about to steal the Virgin Mary,” said Leguizamo. “First of all, he’s a super Catholic. ... What’s he gonna be, like the Grinch with a big bag stealing the Virgin Mary? Who’s gonna carry those heavy-a** statues? Come on! He’s not taking the Virgin Mary.”

Earlier this year, Leguizamo told Mother Jones of Trump, “He’s a horrible human being who does a lot of horrible things, but he’s so horribly blatant about it that he galvanizes us. We were asleep at the helm, bro. All of us⁠ — white liberals, moderate Republicans, independents, Latin activists, black activists. He got us woke. We are in a moral correction right now in our society, trying to make everything right because he does everything so wrong.”

Last month, Leguizamo told Yahoo Entertainment that he planned to boycott the Sept. 20 Emmy Awards in in the absence of Latinx representation in TV and film. “If you don’t have Latin people, there’s no reason for me to see it,” he said. “What’s the point? It’s unbelievable that our stories aren’t being told, and there’s one reason for that. Executives don’t see us, don’t get us — don’t care about us.”

That void is why Leguizamo is working to create projects that highlight the lives of Latinx people. “I’m just dying to see positive Latin stories out there. ... It’s just not OK to ignore us, exclude us,” he added. “We’re the largest minority group in the country. We’re the biggest voting block. We’re going to decide who the president is this year.”

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 13October 18, 2020 10:15 AM

The election is only three weeks away.

I'm happy to see celebrities making "closing arguments" like this, to try to get people to vote.

I really hope it will help sway some undecideds.

by Anonymousreply 1October 17, 2020 8:54 PM

I've always loved John Leguizamo.

He is one cool cat.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2October 17, 2020 8:55 PM

He right.

by Anonymousreply 3October 17, 2020 8:58 PM

Thank god somebody said it. My family emigrated ( legally) in the 60's from South America, and the typical hard-knock immigrant experience: dishwashers; maids, eeking out an existence to put their kids through college and see one generation after another do better. What busts my balls, is that this generation knows NOTHING of the sacrfices made for them by for those who came before them: my dad and his siblings marched in those same Civil Rights marches along with half of the U.S. When jackasses at college ( yes he went) gave my dad grief over his black girlfriend, he sent them to hell in Spanish, and then went out back and slit their tires. ( heh, heh, heh) Many of my family workers have been " tireless government bureaucrats" who've worked in government agencies to make sure that Latinos have accessibility in every way in our Society- EVERYTHING bilingual, early access education, scholarships out the wazoo. And these spoiled, ignorant, born-yesterday mother-fuckers wanna piss on their hard-earned rights by voting for a blatant Racist cause they * think* they're gonna have " Billions" like him. Don't make me laugh. They don't even COMPREHEND the privelege they have.

by Anonymousreply 4October 17, 2020 9:07 PM

The thing is, while church influence has dropped in many parts of the world, the Catholic church has a grip on Latin/Hispanic countries. And those folks are the ones who think they aren't like other Latin/Hispanic people, and vote for Trump because, like R4 said, they think they'll share in the pot of gold.

by Anonymousreply 5October 17, 2020 9:09 PM

John has always been very eloquent.

He's such a smart guy who doesn't get enough credit for being smart.

by Anonymousreply 6October 17, 2020 9:10 PM

This Colombian-American is just going to piss off a lot of Cuban-Americans in Florida.

by Anonymousreply 7October 17, 2020 9:18 PM

The Dems are running away with the Latin vote. I would understand if he were to call out the Cuban vote specifically. Mexicans and Central Americans vote in the 80 percentile for Democrats. It can’t get more pro Dem than this.

by Anonymousreply 8October 17, 2020 9:26 PM

There are more Hispanics than blacks in this country.It astonishes me that they dont seem to want to stand up for themselves . R7 let me tell you about those Cuban Americans in Florida. They are a pack of hypocrites . They love to act all conservative and pious but its a facade . Behind the scenes they are doing everything they preach against . I oughta know,Im related to a plethora of them.

by Anonymousreply 9October 17, 2020 9:29 PM

John should not be comparing Hispanics to roaches in any case. He's really not the smartest. That being said he is still hot and could get it.

by Anonymousreply 10October 17, 2020 9:32 PM

Cubans are the only Latinos who are dragging the others down.

Most Latinos vote Democratic. It's only the stupid fucking backwards communist Cubans who keep voting for Republicans.

Goddamned idiots.

by Anonymousreply 11October 18, 2020 2:49 AM

They are actually strongly anti-Communist, R11. Which is why they won't vote Democratic. Similar to Russian and Eastern European Americans, and some older Chinese Americans.

by Anonymousreply 12October 18, 2020 8:30 AM

^^This, the Cubans that came to the US were the wealthy conservative elite who were run out by Castro, they hate anything that's remotely left and think they're all communists

by Anonymousreply 13October 18, 2020 10:15 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!