Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

HALLOWEEN Movie Franchise Discussion

Which of the films in the HALLOWEEN franchise is your favorite? I am a dedicated fan of this series!

As OP, I will state that H1978 is my favorite but the beginning of H2 in 1981 is my favorite sequence in the entire series. Although it is mostly a repeat of the ending of H1, the new Alan Howath/John Carpenter music added makes it even more chilling! (Starts at 1:30 below).

I hate the Rob Zombie apocrypha and the wiping away of continuity in H2018 distresses me. H20 at least left the possibility of 4, 5, and 6 still being in continuity (Laurie could have given away her daughter before she started her new life as a functioning alcoholic headmistress).

I am a PROUD fanatic of The Thorn storyline, with HALLOWEEN 6: THE CURSE OF MICHAEL MYERS (Producer's Cut) being my second favorite movie in the series (originally titled HALLOWEEN 666!). The Thorn storyline began in the 1978 novelization, which John Carpenter contributed to and approved, plus he put it in 1981's HALLOWEEN II. It is established canon by Carpenter.

Whenever I whip the cream in my coffee, I always dance around like Tyra Banks in 2002's HALLOWEEN: RESURRECTION!

Oh, and I LOVE the brilliant HALLOWEEN 3: SEASON OF THE WITCH! Two more weeks 'til Halloween!

What are your faves and most hated?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6212 hours ago

Halloween 4: The Return Of Michael Myers was my go-to as an almost millennial but GenX kid in the late 80s. My older brother & his friends took me along to see it at a theater on Halloween night of 1988 and it really scared my 9 year old self. My mom bought me the VHS the next Halloween and I watched it quite a few times. I love the opening 10 minutes and the fall mood. From DVD to streaming, not a Fall/Halloween goes by where I don’t watch it. It’s my fall kickoff routine.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1Last Saturday at 10:51 AM

I've always wanted to live in the neighborhoods in these movies where every square foot is covered in Halloween decorations.

Especially Marion Chambers' street!

Branden Williams is SO much hotter than JGL!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2Last Saturday at 11:00 AM

I love the Halloween movies, but they are a classic example of every sequel declining in quality from what came before. Excepting Halloween 3, which is truly separate and pretty marvelous in its own camp way. At least the newest Halloween reverses the trend. I found it better than every other sequel.

Friday the 13th holds up better overall as a series, but I still find Michael Myers the more ominous of the two slashers.

by Anonymousreply 3Last Saturday at 11:04 AM

Is R3 the "JLC Is Winning An OSCAR for H2018!" troll?

by Anonymousreply 4Last Saturday at 11:09 AM

R4 - Same age and was going to say the same exact thing. I loved Halloween 1 &2, but feel this odd connection to Halloween 4. It was my instinct in voting and I haven't watched it in forever. Why would you say you feel this one was the best? I need to rematch it. I think it's on one of my subscription channels.

by Anonymousreply 5Last Saturday at 11:21 AM

No. Oscars are reserved for those who give the most blowjobs. I don't think Jamie Lee Curtis is game for that.

by Anonymousreply 6Last Saturday at 11:22 AM

The most recent one with JLC was OK, but it really could have been so much better. I'll definitely watch the new sequel.

by Anonymousreply 7Last Saturday at 11:29 AM

The original Halloween scared the living daylights out of me in high school. I had nightmares about it for years.

by Anonymousreply 8Last Saturday at 11:39 AM

Halloween 2 (by a mile) followed by Halloween 2018. The original is 3rd for me.

I fucking love Halloween 2 and I am proud to say so!!!

by Anonymousreply 9Last Saturday at 11:42 AM

I honestly like all of them. The original film is my ostensible favorite, but I enjoy all of the sequels for different reasons. As far as atmosphere goes, "Halloween 4" really nails it. It's got such a great, overpowering autumnal feel to it. "Halloween 5" does as well to a slightly lesser degree, but that film is a bit of a mess IMO with the psychic connection storyline between Michael and Jamie. I think "Halloween II" is a hell of a lot of fun, and the hospital setting makes it stand out from most of the other films. "Halloween III" is a wild card and not one I revisit often, but it is entertaining.

Like OP, I am a big fan of the oft-maligned Part 6. It doesn't really feel like it belongs in the series with its slick '90s Miramax aesthetic, but it's very dark, moody, and generally just weird. It gets bonus points for having a young and adorable Paul Rudd playing Tommy Doyle. I also liked the lead actress, Marianne Hagan, but she never had much of a career beyond it. "Halloween H20" was another Miramax effort and is a lot of fun—it's a solid effort and it was nice having Jamie Lee Curtis back in the picture. "Resurrection" is trash, but it has some entertaining moments.

I came of age in the 2000s and was exposed to a lot of these movies on AMC, who played parts 1, 2 and 4-H20 on repeat throughout the month of October. I think they still do it today. I have many fond memories of staying up late for those marathons.

by Anonymousreply 10Last Saturday at 11:45 AM

I have just skipped Halloween 3. Didn't they do with a totally different concept? It's the same as Elm Street 2 for me. It doesn't feel like it has the vibe of the rest of the series and I just skip from 1 to 3 which feels like a more organic progression of the story.

by Anonymousreply 11Last Saturday at 12:06 PM

I only really like the first three. I saw the original with a friend when we were 18 yo. on opening night. No reviews were out for the film at that point, but we went ahead as the poster looked very intriguing. The theater maybe had 10 people in it, but we were all screaming out of fear! Easily the scariest film I had ever seen at that point in my life. We walked out trembling and the thought of getting in the car was paralyzing as you can imagine. One week later Roger Ebert gave it a four star review and theaters were packed with people. We saw it again and it was still scary as shit. For many weeks afterwards I was still afraid of getting in my car in the dark.

by Anonymousreply 12Last Saturday at 1:35 PM

Why did they cut Nora' death scene in HALLOWEEN: RESURRECTION?

I would think most people in 2002 wanted to see Tyra Banks die.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 13Last Saturday at 4:05 PM

I get the part 4 thing. It feels authentically midwestern, less dated than the original, and more creepy and autumnal all around. 78 is dated and performed in distracting ways. Love part 2 though because it has an injection of 80s slasher energy (more is more, sexier cast). My next favorite is H20. JLC was fantastic in that. Much more believable scenario that Laurie went on with her life and didn’t become some nutjob survivalist ala Sarah Connor. But I’ll still be there for its sequel. Kyle Richards or bust.

by Anonymousreply 14Last Saturday at 4:13 PM

R14- Kyle Richards (don't laugh) is surprisingly SENSATIONAL in Halloween Kills- (in fact the entire cast supposedly gives excellent performances, and the film reportedly supersedes Halloween 2018!!!)

by Anonymousreply 15Last Saturday at 4:16 PM

More awful GenZ shit?

by Anonymousreply 16Last Saturday at 4:17 PM

What I dislike is how they screwed up the timeline. Jamie Lee Curtis only agreed to do H20 if they ditched everything after 2, because she thought those movies were terrible. Then they went and erased number 2 and H20 and the other one as well.

I agree that four is actually a good movie. It's got the chilling atmosphere down pat. And the ending really brings things back full circle. Harris did a really good job and Ellie Cornell was likeable as well.

Haven't watched the last movie yet in full, but from the pieces I've seen, I wasn't impressed. The scene with the teeth in the restroom was disgusting. The beauty of the original was how there was almost no gore. Like Psycho it relied totally on suspense.

Jamie was also trying her hardest to make some it big statement on the MeToo movement during promotion, and it's like, come on, it's a horror movie.

by Anonymousreply 17Last Saturday at 4:25 PM

Wait till you see how the doctor and the cops die in H2018, R17.

Grisly and disgusting!

by Anonymousreply 18Last Saturday at 4:27 PM

Oh, and the fat GenZ loser's death! GORE CENTRAL!

by Anonymousreply 19Last Saturday at 4:27 PM

I don't get the point of that R18 especially since they made it out to be that it was supposed to be some big "return to form".

Jamie hated the gore of the original sequels and felt they detracted from the original movie.

by Anonymousreply 20Last Saturday at 4:34 PM

Sorry, BITCHES. In 2018, Gore is needed. LOVED Halloween 2018. My god that visual (Spoiler) ..... of that boyfriend on the wall in 2018- Jesus, I love gore, but that was HORRIFIC... But it was done expertly. Some of the brilliance of H-2018 was that the gore was seen - spoiler----- AFTER- You did not see it while it was happening, only the end result- the boyfriend, cops, and the bus scene...

by Anonymousreply 21Last Saturday at 4:45 PM

Halloween 2016...the Curse of Trump...when you thought it couldn’t get worse.

by Anonymousreply 22Last Saturday at 4:47 PM

I enjoyed Halloween 6.

by Anonymousreply 23Last Saturday at 4:51 PM

I believe it about Kyle. She’s been on housewives for so long because she REMAINS interesting. She runs the full gamut of emotions and expressiveness. Frankly, I didn’t get why she wasn’t in 2018. So I’m happy about this. It makes incredible sense.

Now, if they would just find Amy Steel for the next Friday the 13th. It’s the smartest thing Blumhouse could ever do.

by Anonymousreply 24Last Saturday at 4:55 PM

HALLOWEEN 6 is very creepy!

BTW, HALLOWEEN II is better in the TV version because of the extra scenes, fleshing out Laurie’s and Michael’s childhoods.

by Anonymousreply 25Last Saturday at 4:58 PM

R24 is my Halloween and RHOBH spirit twin. I have never, ever, NOT liked Kyle! lol

Awesome

by Anonymousreply 26Last Saturday at 5:03 PM

AND AMY STEEL IS THE QUEEN OF F13!!!!!!!!!

I fucking love her. (And again, F13 Part 2 is my favorite of THAT franchise)

She is one of the best horror final girls ever, definitely top 3!!!

by Anonymousreply 27Last Saturday at 5:04 PM

Dumbasses

by Anonymousreply 28Last Saturday at 5:06 PM

Eat us, R28- Get fucked, and beat it.

by Anonymousreply 29Last Saturday at 5:09 PM

Does Kyle die in the HKills? Tommy??

I enjoy 6, too. The brother was so cute in a 90s grunge slacker way.

by Anonymousreply 30Last Saturday at 5:20 PM

The brother was 1995 Grunge Boy perfection!

Hell, even the Howard Stern wannabe was kinda creepy hot.

by Anonymousreply 31Last Saturday at 5:22 PM

R30- I have deliberately not read the spoilers but in my heart I believe most of those characters 100% die. The test audiences were CRYING....

by Anonymousreply 32Last Saturday at 5:24 PM

HALLOWEEN: RESURRECTION began my ongoing hatred of Katie Sackoff.

Except for that dumb girl with her Black Canary scream, RES is okay dumb fun.

by Anonymousreply 33Last Saturday at 5:29 PM

I hope Kyle gets decapitated in the new Halloween. Slowly.

by Anonymousreply 34Last Saturday at 5:31 PM

H20 was my introduction and i just revisited it. I definitely prefer that version of Laurie to the one we got in the latest installment. I have seen part 3 (didn't like it), then 1 and 2 (it sounds like the tv version is worth seeing). I barely remember part 6 and i didn't like the Rob Zombie movies. Guess i should check out 4 and 5 this year.

by Anonymousreply 35Last Saturday at 6:17 PM

Halloween Kills was delayed to October 15, 2021 bc of COVID

by Anonymousreply 36Last Saturday at 6:38 PM

The series lost me with that Thorn bullshit. And then the Rob Zombie remakes, y-i-k-e-s!

by Anonymousreply 37Last Saturday at 7:58 PM

I'm watching the original 1978 Halloween on AMC now. Def my favorite. Some of it is so over-acted that it's like campy comedy. Like the scene where Annie is babysitting Lindsey and she spills butter all over herself, so she of course just strips off all of her clothes right there in the kitchen to take them out to the laundry room, where the door gets stuck so she has to try to get out through the window where she of course gets "stuck" with her ass hanging out.

LOVE Jamie Lee Curtis in this.

Aside from the camp of it all, I think this is a great film because it doesn't rely on graphic "slasher" images. It's more of a psychological horror movie where the creepy music is so perfectly timed and really creates the desired feelings.

by Anonymousreply 38Last Saturday at 8:22 PM

For me, the campiest part of the original is the strangulation in the car. There are definitely some aspects of that movie that seem a bit silly now, but it still hits the dread effectively in between them.

by Anonymousreply 39Last Sunday at 12:59 AM

1-3 are gold. 4-5 are meh but Danielle Harris did a great job. 6 was where the series jumped the shark. 7/H20 was great but would've been better if they acknowledged the events of 3-6. 8/Resurrection along with the remakes of the first 2 films should've never been made and they are complete garbage Scout Taylor-Compton is no Laurie and should give up acting altogether. The latest film was good but kind of disappointing that they ignored 2 and the Laurie/Michael sibling backstory. The next film is going to be good because they're bringing back so many of the original actors from the first 2 films. Hopefully Laurie doesn't die at the end of the new trilogy like she did in 4 (car crash off camera) and 8/Resurrection (killed by Michael in the first 10 minutes of the film, so lame).

by Anonymousreply 40Last Sunday at 1:30 AM

There’s something incredibly narcissistic and shitty about Jamie Lee Curtis constantly coming back to the franchise for a paycheck and dismissing the work that people did on the sequels she wasn’t involved in. Plus I thought it was tone deaf that she failed to see how much stronger H20 was than H 2018.

Fuck you, Jamie Lee Curtis. I thought AA helped ground/equalize people. You should have recognized and honored the work of the other sequel cast/crew

by Anonymousreply 41Last Sunday at 3:38 AM

[Quote] 8/Resurrection along with the remakes of the first 2 films should've never been made and they are complete garbage

Resurrection is terrible and yet shockingly Busta Rhymes is not the worst thing about that movie. I'm also a sucker for early 00s technology and the future of reality tv 😄

by Anonymousreply 42Last Sunday at 4:33 AM

Early 2000s technology like the Palm Pilot that girl uses. I never quite understood what it did even though my husband had one for work for awhile.

by Anonymousreply 43Last Sunday at 4:44 AM

HALLOWEEN LOON TALKING TO ITSELF FOR THE MILLIONTH TIME

by Anonymousreply 44Last Sunday at 5:38 AM

R41 I suppose it's because she's ~Hollywood royalty~ but now that you mention it, it IS disappointing that Jamie Lee comes back around to Halloween when it suits her. On one hand, with how terrible some of the sequels were.... I don't blame them for pretending like they never happened, but I wish they had clever enough writers that *somehow* could have incorporated them into the Halloween 2018.

I think the original Halloween film is miles ahead of both Friday the 13th and A Nightmare on Elm Street, but man... the franchise, overall, is way worse than both of those. I'm not quite sure why, but none of the filmmakers or writers could seem to COMMIT to the story and develop it in an "interesting" way. Not saying that ANOES or F13th series were consistently good, or even NOT AWFUL, all the time (ugh, remember Jason slithering up his sister's vag?), but they seemed to get more "committed" filmmakers/writers/actors. That's been my read of the series and I'm not sure if I'm articulating it well, but I just don't think Halloween has lived up to what it could have been.

by Anonymousreply 45Last Sunday at 5:49 AM

Halloween (1978) and Halloween II (1981) are amazing. I love how the sequel picks up right where it left off. III is great as a stand alone movie. 4 is a solid sequel giving us atmosphere and likeable heroin. 5 and 6 are complete and utter disasters. H20 was a nice rebound, though very late 90s horror. Resurrection is a guilty pleasure. Rob Zombie's incarnations don't exist in my world. Halloween (2018) had its moments.

by Anonymousreply 46Last Sunday at 6:23 AM

The only sequence I enjoy in the wretched Rob Zombie films is the hospital scene in 2009's H2. It's terrifying and shot very well!

But I guess RZ really, really didn't want to do a remake of the 1981 original, so the hospital scene was just a short nightmare.

by Anonymousreply 47Last Sunday at 7:22 AM

He casts such unattractive people. His movies always look like they smell.

by Anonymousreply 48Last Sunday at 11:18 AM

I saw Halloween when it was originally released. I was 14. I must've seen it 30 times since. The other night I had it on and for some reason for the first time I really couldn't get past how too old PJ Soles and Nancy Loomis were to be playing teenagers.

by Anonymousreply 49Yesterday at 6:31 AM

One thing I have no tolerance for is people who claim H3 is a good movie. It is amateur night in every aspect. Awful.

by Anonymousreply 50Yesterday at 6:31 AM

WTF is wrong with you, R50? Halloween III is a DLer's wet dream - a plan to get rid of all crotchfruit! It has a great score, creepy setting, it's a great movie. There are far worse in the franchise.

by Anonymousreply 51Yesterday at 6:38 AM

Halloween: Michael Myers Goes Hawaiian

by Anonymousreply 52a day ago

So no spoilers for Halloween Kills?

by Anonymousreply 53a day ago

Legally Halloween: Blood Red, White, and Blonde

by Anonymousreply 54a day ago

R17 uh JLC never even SAW the other sequels she wasn't in, she avoids horror movies because they scare her too much

by Anonymousreply 5518 hours ago

I though H1 was brilliant. It had a lot of originality and was scary.

Somehow, H2 managed to bad in a way that degraded H1. H1 is not as good a film as it was before H2 was released.

After that, I lost interest in the franchise.

by Anonymousreply 5618 hours ago

The Halloween 5 mask is the fucking worst! From the receding hairline to the BDF nose to the jutting neck. Ugh.

by Anonymousreply 5717 hours ago

I'm excited for the next Halloween. I didn't love Halloween 2018, but I'm excited to see Kyle in this new one and am not surprised she's getting rave reviews. She's been acting full-time for the past 10 (?) or so years on RHOBH, so I'm not surprised that she's turned in a good performance for this film.

by Anonymousreply 5817 hours ago

I'm excited Nancy Stephens is back too. She was kind of no-nonsense. I wonder if she'll have ginormous turtleneck in the next installment.

by Anonymousreply 5916 hours ago

R58 = ANDY

by Anonymousreply 6016 hours ago

R48 Danielle is cute.

R60 agree 😄

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6116 hours ago

She was cute. She got some bad plastic surgery.

by Anonymousreply 6212 hours ago
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Don't you just LOVE clicking on these things on every single site you visit? I know we do! You can thank the EU parliament for making everyone in the world click on these pointless things while changing absolutely nothing. If you are interested you can take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT and we'll set a dreaded cookie to make it go away. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!