Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

HALLOWEEN Movie Franchise Discussion

Which of the films in the HALLOWEEN franchise is your favorite? I am a dedicated fan of this series!

As OP, I will state that H1978 is my favorite but the beginning of H2 in 1981 is my favorite sequence in the entire series. Although it is mostly a repeat of the ending of H1, the new Alan Howath/John Carpenter music added makes it even more chilling! (Starts at 1:30 below).

I hate the Rob Zombie apocrypha and the wiping away of continuity in H2018 distresses me. H20 at least left the possibility of 4, 5, and 6 still being in continuity (Laurie could have given away her daughter before she started her new life as a functioning alcoholic headmistress).

I am a PROUD fanatic of The Thorn storyline, with HALLOWEEN 6: THE CURSE OF MICHAEL MYERS (Producer's Cut) being my second favorite movie in the series (originally titled HALLOWEEN 666!). The Thorn storyline began in the 1978 novelization, which John Carpenter contributed to and approved, plus he put it in 1981's HALLOWEEN II. It is established canon by Carpenter.

Whenever I whip the cream in my coffee, I always dance around like Tyra Banks in 2002's HALLOWEEN: RESURRECTION!

Oh, and I LOVE the brilliant HALLOWEEN 3: SEASON OF THE WITCH! Two more weeks 'til Halloween!

What are your faves and most hated?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 270March 19, 2021 5:44 PM

Halloween 4: The Return Of Michael Myers was my go-to as an almost millennial but GenX kid in the late 80s. My older brother & his friends took me along to see it at a theater on Halloween night of 1988 and it really scared my 9 year old self. My mom bought me the VHS the next Halloween and I watched it quite a few times. I love the opening 10 minutes and the fall mood. From DVD to streaming, not a Fall/Halloween goes by where I don’t watch it. It’s my fall kickoff routine.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1October 17, 2020 6:51 PM

I've always wanted to live in the neighborhoods in these movies where every square foot is covered in Halloween decorations.

Especially Marion Chambers' street!

Branden Williams is SO much hotter than JGL!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2October 17, 2020 7:00 PM

I love the Halloween movies, but they are a classic example of every sequel declining in quality from what came before. Excepting Halloween 3, which is truly separate and pretty marvelous in its own camp way. At least the newest Halloween reverses the trend. I found it better than every other sequel.

Friday the 13th holds up better overall as a series, but I still find Michael Myers the more ominous of the two slashers.

by Anonymousreply 3October 17, 2020 7:04 PM

Is R3 the "JLC Is Winning An OSCAR for H2018!" troll?

by Anonymousreply 4October 17, 2020 7:09 PM

R4 - Same age and was going to say the same exact thing. I loved Halloween 1 &2, but feel this odd connection to Halloween 4. It was my instinct in voting and I haven't watched it in forever. Why would you say you feel this one was the best? I need to rematch it. I think it's on one of my subscription channels.

by Anonymousreply 5October 17, 2020 7:21 PM

No. Oscars are reserved for those who give the most blowjobs. I don't think Jamie Lee Curtis is game for that.

by Anonymousreply 6October 17, 2020 7:22 PM

The most recent one with JLC was OK, but it really could have been so much better. I'll definitely watch the new sequel.

by Anonymousreply 7October 17, 2020 7:29 PM

The original Halloween scared the living daylights out of me in high school. I had nightmares about it for years.

by Anonymousreply 8October 17, 2020 7:39 PM

Halloween 2 (by a mile) followed by Halloween 2018. The original is 3rd for me.

I fucking love Halloween 2 and I am proud to say so!!!

by Anonymousreply 9October 17, 2020 7:42 PM

I honestly like all of them. The original film is my ostensible favorite, but I enjoy all of the sequels for different reasons. As far as atmosphere goes, "Halloween 4" really nails it. It's got such a great, overpowering autumnal feel to it. "Halloween 5" does as well to a slightly lesser degree, but that film is a bit of a mess IMO with the psychic connection storyline between Michael and Jamie. I think "Halloween II" is a hell of a lot of fun, and the hospital setting makes it stand out from most of the other films. "Halloween III" is a wild card and not one I revisit often, but it is entertaining.

Like OP, I am a big fan of the oft-maligned Part 6. It doesn't really feel like it belongs in the series with its slick '90s Miramax aesthetic, but it's very dark, moody, and generally just weird. It gets bonus points for having a young and adorable Paul Rudd playing Tommy Doyle. I also liked the lead actress, Marianne Hagan, but she never had much of a career beyond it. "Halloween H20" was another Miramax effort and is a lot of fun—it's a solid effort and it was nice having Jamie Lee Curtis back in the picture. "Resurrection" is trash, but it has some entertaining moments.

I came of age in the 2000s and was exposed to a lot of these movies on AMC, who played parts 1, 2 and 4-H20 on repeat throughout the month of October. I think they still do it today. I have many fond memories of staying up late for those marathons.

by Anonymousreply 10October 17, 2020 7:45 PM

I have just skipped Halloween 3. Didn't they do with a totally different concept? It's the same as Elm Street 2 for me. It doesn't feel like it has the vibe of the rest of the series and I just skip from 1 to 3 which feels like a more organic progression of the story.

by Anonymousreply 11October 17, 2020 8:06 PM

I only really like the first three. I saw the original with a friend when we were 18 yo. on opening night. No reviews were out for the film at that point, but we went ahead as the poster looked very intriguing. The theater maybe had 10 people in it, but we were all screaming out of fear! Easily the scariest film I had ever seen at that point in my life. We walked out trembling and the thought of getting in the car was paralyzing as you can imagine. One week later Roger Ebert gave it a four star review and theaters were packed with people. We saw it again and it was still scary as shit. For many weeks afterwards I was still afraid of getting in my car in the dark.

by Anonymousreply 12October 17, 2020 9:35 PM

Why did they cut Nora' death scene in HALLOWEEN: RESURRECTION?

I would think most people in 2002 wanted to see Tyra Banks die.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 13October 18, 2020 12:05 AM

I get the part 4 thing. It feels authentically midwestern, less dated than the original, and more creepy and autumnal all around. 78 is dated and performed in distracting ways. Love part 2 though because it has an injection of 80s slasher energy (more is more, sexier cast). My next favorite is H20. JLC was fantastic in that. Much more believable scenario that Laurie went on with her life and didn’t become some nutjob survivalist ala Sarah Connor. But I’ll still be there for its sequel. Kyle Richards or bust.

by Anonymousreply 14October 18, 2020 12:13 AM

R14- Kyle Richards (don't laugh) is surprisingly SENSATIONAL in Halloween Kills- (in fact the entire cast supposedly gives excellent performances, and the film reportedly supersedes Halloween 2018!!!)

by Anonymousreply 15October 18, 2020 12:16 AM

More awful GenZ shit?

by Anonymousreply 16October 18, 2020 12:17 AM

What I dislike is how they screwed up the timeline. Jamie Lee Curtis only agreed to do H20 if they ditched everything after 2, because she thought those movies were terrible. Then they went and erased number 2 and H20 and the other one as well.

I agree that four is actually a good movie. It's got the chilling atmosphere down pat. And the ending really brings things back full circle. Harris did a really good job and Ellie Cornell was likeable as well.

Haven't watched the last movie yet in full, but from the pieces I've seen, I wasn't impressed. The scene with the teeth in the restroom was disgusting. The beauty of the original was how there was almost no gore. Like Psycho it relied totally on suspense.

Jamie was also trying her hardest to make some it big statement on the MeToo movement during promotion, and it's like, come on, it's a horror movie.

by Anonymousreply 17October 18, 2020 12:25 AM

Wait till you see how the doctor and the cops die in H2018, R17.

Grisly and disgusting!

by Anonymousreply 18October 18, 2020 12:27 AM

Oh, and the fat GenZ loser's death! GORE CENTRAL!

by Anonymousreply 19October 18, 2020 12:27 AM

I don't get the point of that R18 especially since they made it out to be that it was supposed to be some big "return to form".

Jamie hated the gore of the original sequels and felt they detracted from the original movie.

by Anonymousreply 20October 18, 2020 12:34 AM

Sorry, BITCHES. In 2018, Gore is needed. LOVED Halloween 2018. My god that visual (Spoiler) ..... of that boyfriend on the wall in 2018- Jesus, I love gore, but that was HORRIFIC... But it was done expertly. Some of the brilliance of H-2018 was that the gore was seen - spoiler----- AFTER- You did not see it while it was happening, only the end result- the boyfriend, cops, and the bus scene...

by Anonymousreply 21October 18, 2020 12:45 AM

Halloween 2016...the Curse of Trump...when you thought it couldn’t get worse.

by Anonymousreply 22October 18, 2020 12:47 AM

I enjoyed Halloween 6.

by Anonymousreply 23October 18, 2020 12:51 AM

I believe it about Kyle. She’s been on housewives for so long because she REMAINS interesting. She runs the full gamut of emotions and expressiveness. Frankly, I didn’t get why she wasn’t in 2018. So I’m happy about this. It makes incredible sense.

Now, if they would just find Amy Steel for the next Friday the 13th. It’s the smartest thing Blumhouse could ever do.

by Anonymousreply 24October 18, 2020 12:55 AM

HALLOWEEN 6 is very creepy!

BTW, HALLOWEEN II is better in the TV version because of the extra scenes, fleshing out Laurie’s and Michael’s childhoods.

by Anonymousreply 25October 18, 2020 12:58 AM

R24 is my Halloween and RHOBH spirit twin. I have never, ever, NOT liked Kyle! lol

Awesome

by Anonymousreply 26October 18, 2020 1:03 AM

AND AMY STEEL IS THE QUEEN OF F13!!!!!!!!!

I fucking love her. (And again, F13 Part 2 is my favorite of THAT franchise)

She is one of the best horror final girls ever, definitely top 3!!!

by Anonymousreply 27October 18, 2020 1:04 AM

Dumbasses

by Anonymousreply 28October 18, 2020 1:06 AM

Eat us, R28- Get fucked, and beat it.

by Anonymousreply 29October 18, 2020 1:09 AM

Does Kyle die in the HKills? Tommy??

I enjoy 6, too. The brother was so cute in a 90s grunge slacker way.

by Anonymousreply 30October 18, 2020 1:20 AM

The brother was 1995 Grunge Boy perfection!

Hell, even the Howard Stern wannabe was kinda creepy hot.

by Anonymousreply 31October 18, 2020 1:22 AM

R30- I have deliberately not read the spoilers but in my heart I believe most of those characters 100% die. The test audiences were CRYING....

by Anonymousreply 32October 18, 2020 1:24 AM

HALLOWEEN: RESURRECTION began my ongoing hatred of Katie Sackoff.

Except for that dumb girl with her Black Canary scream, RES is okay dumb fun.

by Anonymousreply 33October 18, 2020 1:29 AM

I hope Kyle gets decapitated in the new Halloween. Slowly.

by Anonymousreply 34October 18, 2020 1:31 AM

H20 was my introduction and i just revisited it. I definitely prefer that version of Laurie to the one we got in the latest installment. I have seen part 3 (didn't like it), then 1 and 2 (it sounds like the tv version is worth seeing). I barely remember part 6 and i didn't like the Rob Zombie movies. Guess i should check out 4 and 5 this year.

by Anonymousreply 35October 18, 2020 2:17 AM

Halloween Kills was delayed to October 15, 2021 bc of COVID

by Anonymousreply 36October 18, 2020 2:38 AM

The series lost me with that Thorn bullshit. And then the Rob Zombie remakes, y-i-k-e-s!

by Anonymousreply 37October 18, 2020 3:58 AM

I'm watching the original 1978 Halloween on AMC now. Def my favorite. Some of it is so over-acted that it's like campy comedy. Like the scene where Annie is babysitting Lindsey and she spills butter all over herself, so she of course just strips off all of her clothes right there in the kitchen to take them out to the laundry room, where the door gets stuck so she has to try to get out through the window where she of course gets "stuck" with her ass hanging out.

LOVE Jamie Lee Curtis in this.

Aside from the camp of it all, I think this is a great film because it doesn't rely on graphic "slasher" images. It's more of a psychological horror movie where the creepy music is so perfectly timed and really creates the desired feelings.

by Anonymousreply 38October 18, 2020 4:22 AM

For me, the campiest part of the original is the strangulation in the car. There are definitely some aspects of that movie that seem a bit silly now, but it still hits the dread effectively in between them.

by Anonymousreply 39October 18, 2020 8:59 AM

1-3 are gold. 4-5 are meh but Danielle Harris did a great job. 6 was where the series jumped the shark. 7/H20 was great but would've been better if they acknowledged the events of 3-6. 8/Resurrection along with the remakes of the first 2 films should've never been made and they are complete garbage Scout Taylor-Compton is no Laurie and should give up acting altogether. The latest film was good but kind of disappointing that they ignored 2 and the Laurie/Michael sibling backstory. The next film is going to be good because they're bringing back so many of the original actors from the first 2 films. Hopefully Laurie doesn't die at the end of the new trilogy like she did in 4 (car crash off camera) and 8/Resurrection (killed by Michael in the first 10 minutes of the film, so lame).

by Anonymousreply 40October 18, 2020 9:30 AM

There’s something incredibly narcissistic and shitty about Jamie Lee Curtis constantly coming back to the franchise for a paycheck and dismissing the work that people did on the sequels she wasn’t involved in. Plus I thought it was tone deaf that she failed to see how much stronger H20 was than H 2018.

Fuck you, Jamie Lee Curtis. I thought AA helped ground/equalize people. You should have recognized and honored the work of the other sequel cast/crew

by Anonymousreply 41October 18, 2020 11:38 AM

[Quote] 8/Resurrection along with the remakes of the first 2 films should've never been made and they are complete garbage

Resurrection is terrible and yet shockingly Busta Rhymes is not the worst thing about that movie. I'm also a sucker for early 00s technology and the future of reality tv 😄

by Anonymousreply 42October 18, 2020 12:33 PM

Early 2000s technology like the Palm Pilot that girl uses. I never quite understood what it did even though my husband had one for work for awhile.

by Anonymousreply 43October 18, 2020 12:44 PM

HALLOWEEN LOON TALKING TO ITSELF FOR THE MILLIONTH TIME

by Anonymousreply 44October 18, 2020 1:38 PM

R41 I suppose it's because she's ~Hollywood royalty~ but now that you mention it, it IS disappointing that Jamie Lee comes back around to Halloween when it suits her. On one hand, with how terrible some of the sequels were.... I don't blame them for pretending like they never happened, but I wish they had clever enough writers that *somehow* could have incorporated them into the Halloween 2018.

I think the original Halloween film is miles ahead of both Friday the 13th and A Nightmare on Elm Street, but man... the franchise, overall, is way worse than both of those. I'm not quite sure why, but none of the filmmakers or writers could seem to COMMIT to the story and develop it in an "interesting" way. Not saying that ANOES or F13th series were consistently good, or even NOT AWFUL, all the time (ugh, remember Jason slithering up his sister's vag?), but they seemed to get more "committed" filmmakers/writers/actors. That's been my read of the series and I'm not sure if I'm articulating it well, but I just don't think Halloween has lived up to what it could have been.

by Anonymousreply 45October 18, 2020 1:49 PM

Halloween (1978) and Halloween II (1981) are amazing. I love how the sequel picks up right where it left off. III is great as a stand alone movie. 4 is a solid sequel giving us atmosphere and likeable heroin. 5 and 6 are complete and utter disasters. H20 was a nice rebound, though very late 90s horror. Resurrection is a guilty pleasure. Rob Zombie's incarnations don't exist in my world. Halloween (2018) had its moments.

by Anonymousreply 46October 18, 2020 2:23 PM

The only sequence I enjoy in the wretched Rob Zombie films is the hospital scene in 2009's H2. It's terrifying and shot very well!

But I guess RZ really, really didn't want to do a remake of the 1981 original, so the hospital scene was just a short nightmare.

by Anonymousreply 47October 18, 2020 3:22 PM

He casts such unattractive people. His movies always look like they smell.

by Anonymousreply 48October 18, 2020 7:18 PM

I saw Halloween when it was originally released. I was 14. I must've seen it 30 times since. The other night I had it on and for some reason for the first time I really couldn't get past how too old PJ Soles and Nancy Loomis were to be playing teenagers.

by Anonymousreply 49October 19, 2020 2:31 PM

One thing I have no tolerance for is people who claim H3 is a good movie. It is amateur night in every aspect. Awful.

by Anonymousreply 50October 19, 2020 2:31 PM

WTF is wrong with you, R50? Halloween III is a DLer's wet dream - a plan to get rid of all crotchfruit! It has a great score, creepy setting, it's a great movie. There are far worse in the franchise.

by Anonymousreply 51October 19, 2020 2:38 PM

Halloween: Michael Myers Goes Hawaiian

by Anonymousreply 52October 19, 2020 3:22 PM

So no spoilers for Halloween Kills?

by Anonymousreply 53October 19, 2020 5:46 PM

Legally Halloween: Blood Red, White, and Blonde

by Anonymousreply 54October 19, 2020 6:05 PM

R17 uh JLC never even SAW the other sequels she wasn't in, she avoids horror movies because they scare her too much

by Anonymousreply 55October 19, 2020 10:13 PM

I though H1 was brilliant. It had a lot of originality and was scary.

Somehow, H2 managed to bad in a way that degraded H1. H1 is not as good a film as it was before H2 was released.

After that, I lost interest in the franchise.

by Anonymousreply 56October 19, 2020 10:28 PM

The Halloween 5 mask is the fucking worst! From the receding hairline to the BDF nose to the jutting neck. Ugh.

by Anonymousreply 57October 19, 2020 11:41 PM

I'm excited for the next Halloween. I didn't love Halloween 2018, but I'm excited to see Kyle in this new one and am not surprised she's getting rave reviews. She's been acting full-time for the past 10 (?) or so years on RHOBH, so I'm not surprised that she's turned in a good performance for this film.

by Anonymousreply 58October 19, 2020 11:46 PM

I'm excited Nancy Stephens is back too. She was kind of no-nonsense. I wonder if she'll have ginormous turtleneck in the next installment.

by Anonymousreply 59October 19, 2020 11:50 PM

R58 = ANDY

by Anonymousreply 60October 19, 2020 11:59 PM

R48 Danielle is cute.

R60 agree 😄

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 61October 20, 2020 12:05 AM

She was cute. She got some bad plastic surgery.

by Anonymousreply 62October 20, 2020 4:02 AM

I just rewatched Halloween. It's been a while since I've seen the first one. The score and sound are everything in this film. I also like how they tease out the build and suspense. The ending is more powerful that I remember, with Donald Pleasance looking in horror at Michael not being dead and JLC just crying hysterically. I didn't remember that while the credits were rolling, you can see Michael looking around at the various kill locations throughout the film and hear him breathing through his mask. Is this like an enhanced version or was that always there?

by Anonymousreply 63October 21, 2020 5:32 AM

LOL 600 views and not a single vote for part 6

by Anonymousreply 64October 21, 2020 5:33 AM

I'm so proud never to have seen a single one of these.

by Anonymousreply 65October 21, 2020 5:42 AM

I wish they would combine the TV version of Halloween II with the theatrical cut but keep the "We made it!" ending.

by Anonymousreply 66October 21, 2020 5:46 AM

AMC Poz is doing a free 7 day trial on Amazon. I watched Halloween tonight and I think I'll to 4 tomorrow. I feel like I have see the TV version of Halloween 2 so many times. It's good though. 3 doesn't count to me.

by Anonymousreply 67October 21, 2020 5:49 AM

I was trying to think which last girl I liked better - Laurie Stroud or Nancy Thompson. I am leaning towards Nancy for her proactive attitude, fighting spirit and her hot boyfriend. Laurie is supposed to be this ultra smart student. Unless she is used to seeing things, wouldn't she have told her best friends dad that this guy was following her? Nancy would have been on that shit.

by Anonymousreply 68October 21, 2020 5:53 AM

I have seen the original so many times I have to admit I am a bit sick of it. But objectively, it's a very well made movie but I agree with some of the comments that it can be campy. Nancy Loomis screeching "Lindsay!" is both hilarious and annoying.

I think II and III are very good sequels. I LOVE the scores and the atmosphere.

Jamie Lee's dismissive attitude about Halloween and horror films in general irritates me too. On the special features of The Fog, she basically trashes the film but is still complimentary towards John Carpenter. However, she is honest and says "It sounds like I'm biting the hand that feeds me". So, she seems to be aware of that dismissive attitude. I also think the H20 Laurie is more interesting than Halloween 2018 Laurie. She's just too extreme in the latter for my tastes.

I still prefer the Friday the 13th franchise overall. But that franchise is in legal limbo hell.

by Anonymousreply 69October 21, 2020 6:09 AM

[Quote] I still prefer the Friday the 13th franchise overall. But that franchise is in legal limbo hell.

I prefer the Friday franchise too. And i love NOES but finding another Freddy is no easy feat.

by Anonymousreply 70October 21, 2020 7:15 AM

Who the fuck is Laurie Stroud, R68?

by Anonymousreply 71October 21, 2020 12:17 PM

H3 is garbage.

by Anonymousreply 72October 21, 2020 12:19 PM

It doesn't make sense for Laurie to be the way she is in 2018, convinced that Michael will be coming for her. If you eliminate the brother/sister angle and being stalked again in Halloween II and H20, Michael killed 3 of her friends and tried to kill her. What an egomaniac to think he's spent the last 40 years thinking about tracking her down. She's simply the one that got away. Anyone else will do.

by Anonymousreply 73October 21, 2020 12:22 PM

Some idiot dude who only watches movies (as opposed to living life) came up with the concept of Laurie as a one-track-minded survivalist lunatic in H2018. Who the fuck suffers something when they’re 18 and turns into a nutty isolated freak preparing for an event (Michael’s escape) that isn’t even realistic? Totally lazy, T2-loving idiot writer’s convenience. The depiction of Laurie in H20 was much more credible — leave town, name change, a bit addled and in recovery.

by Anonymousreply 74October 21, 2020 12:33 PM

I can understand WHY people hate the Laurie and Michael being siblings, but I don't mind it.

I'm willing to bet R74, that it's revealed they are siblings in Halloween II. I bet they'll go there.

by Anonymousreply 75October 21, 2020 2:01 PM

I think we are tough on Laurie. You fought off a killer twice that killed all your friends, survived multiple gun shots, and is basically super human. People get traumatized for far less. You either end up in an asylum or like she is in H2018. After all her experiences, I don't think it's unreasonable to think Michael might come back. I think it would always be in the back of my mind, which is why I would become a druggie and lush while moving out of Haddenfield. I'd be in Europe or somewhere he wouldn't get to.

by Anonymousreply 76October 22, 2020 12:56 AM

I enjoyed H3, but I can certainly understand why audiences were pissed over it. I think Carpenter had a bigger vision for the Halloween films, to not just be about Michael Myers. But because of Halloween 2, people were expecting more of the same with Halloween 3. Best movie poster of all in the series though as far as I'm concerned.

Halloween 4 is a fantastic 80's slasher in every way.

by Anonymousreply 77October 22, 2020 1:23 AM

H20 is good but a little too Scream-y

by Anonymousreply 78October 22, 2020 3:15 AM

R78 it does and that's because of Kevin Wlliamson.

by Anonymousreply 79October 22, 2020 3:38 AM

I just watched Halloween 4. I think between the nostalgia of my childhood and reading this thread, I built it up to more than I should have. I watched Halloween last night and it was just so much better. 4 was fine, but it didn't really get going until the last 25 minutes are so. Most of the kills before the finale sequence were implied or quick cuts. It was a little Jason Vorhees. I liked the suspense and human-ness of 1 &2. I think Michael Myers is a slightly more classy serial killer as compared to Jason. A lot of suspension of disbelief was required and a lot of coincidence. "By God, he's not a man, he's not human anymore, he's a demon."

by Anonymousreply 80October 22, 2020 4:40 AM

[Quote] I think Michael Myers is a slightly more classy serial killer as compared to Jason.

He is. Michael has never turned into a demonic worm and then slid up a woman's hooha.

by Anonymousreply 81October 22, 2020 11:15 AM

Aside from the original score, composed by John Carpenter himself, I've just noticed that the Halloween films have no "iconic" song to go with them. Unlike the Friday the 13th or A Nightmare on Elm Street series! Or is there song?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 82October 22, 2020 3:14 PM

Um, have you forgotten about this gem?

I wish I had you all ALONE. Just the TWO of us. I would HOLD close to ME. So. Close. To me. Juuuuuust the two of us. So. Close. To. Me.

by Anonymousreply 83October 22, 2020 3:43 PM

Mr. Sandman in 1981.

by Anonymousreply 84October 22, 2020 5:00 PM

Mr. Sandman was used again in H20

by Anonymousreply 85October 22, 2020 5:21 PM

And Rob Zombie's Halloween. And I Wish I Had You All Alone was used in Halloween 2018. You were saying, R82?

by Anonymousreply 86October 22, 2020 5:31 PM

As someone else above said: II, H18, I. Then H20 and III. Then the rest.

LOVE the original - and it's the perfect halloween movie, but II is a better horror movie and H18 is a great modern horror movie. Was all ready for the new one, but fuck you 2020. H20 is very good, but feels a bit too close to Scream and other 90s horror films and therefore seems derivative. III is very nostalgic for me but it's pretty cheesy.

by Anonymousreply 87October 22, 2020 5:39 PM

Halloween III was doomed from the outset as they for some reason hired Nigel Kneale, the very sophisticated and very British creator of the science fiction Quatermass series, to somehow create something that would fit this very American gore franchise, then when they realized it wouldn’t work took the project away from the master and tried to clumsily revise it into something US audiences might relate to more. Kneales original concept of an Irish Celtic fundamentalist terrorist getting revenge on Americans for commercializing the sacred ancient holiday of Samhain is freaking brilliant.

by Anonymousreply 88October 22, 2020 6:11 PM

R82

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 89October 22, 2020 11:52 PM

I think the score for Halloween might be one of the absolute best between the one that opens H1 and then the heavy piano when Micheal is directly hunt the next kill, with the former definitely being iconic. The only other score/somg that I think is amazing stacked against any movie horror or not is Tubular Bells from the Excercist. It's so haunting and so beautiful. Jason does have the: chichichichi -ahahaha I think I'm going to skip to H18 and then move on to Texas Chainsaw the remake which was awesome, but that's for another thread. Horror films until Halloween in quasi quarantine.

by Anonymousreply 90October 23, 2020 12:53 AM

R89 - That was the song/main theme from Scream 1 although I think they had a different band cover.

by Anonymousreply 91October 23, 2020 12:54 AM

R91 that song does play in Scream but it's not the theme. I would say this is.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 92October 23, 2020 1:44 AM

I love Laurie's cunty English teacher.

by Anonymousreply 93October 24, 2020 3:55 PM

H20 was on a few nights ago right as Laurie was telling off her son for sneaking out and I'd forgotten how great Jamie Lee's performance was in that movie. I had to sit down and watch the rest of it and was surprised by how much better it was than the 2018 version. As others have said, the 2018 Laurie makes very little sense. Not only was this an isolated incident and they're no longer brother and sister, but Michael was captured after the events of the first film and has been locked away for the past 40 years. She has no reason to believe he'd ever come after her. At least in H20, they kept the brother and sister angle and had it to where he disappeared after Halloween II so Laurie had more reason to live her life in fear. I found it funny that, in H20, she has so much more reason to be afraid of Michael yet she's so much more put together than the Laurie in 2018 who seems like she never leaves the house.

I liked the idea of discarding the brother/sister angle for 2018, but they forgot to give Laurie a better reason for being afraid of him or for thinking that he was coming for her. The ridiculous way he finally shows up at her compound was so idiotic. The entire last act of that movie is pure shit and seems like they made it up on the spot.

by Anonymousreply 94October 24, 2020 5:15 PM

I sometimes wonder what the franchise would have been like if it had gone in that Season of the Witch direction and turned into an anthology series. I bet it'd be a lot more satisfying. Each sequel has its moments, but some of them are so dumb. 2, 4, and H20 come the closest to delivering some suspense.

by Anonymousreply 95October 24, 2020 5:16 PM

Have you noticed in horror films that what the lead girl is in class at the beginning of the film, the lessons being taught are applicable to their future battle with the monster, a foreshadowing. I noticed this both with Laurie in Halloween and Nancy in NOEST. After watching all these movies several times you start to look at the smaller details.

by Anonymousreply 96October 24, 2020 5:31 PM

R96, that's just good screenwriting. They bring the themes of the film in early. There's a reason these films are classics. They have much more on their mind than just hacking and slashing.

by Anonymousreply 97October 24, 2020 5:39 PM

I get the nod to Mr. Sandman in H20 but it makes no sense for Laurie to react to it. It wasn't playing on the radio in the Doyle house or in the back of the ambulance in Halloween 2.

by Anonymousreply 98October 24, 2020 9:11 PM

I despise the Halloween 2018 haters. I really loved it. HOWEVER, I do love Jamie Lee's performance in H20- and the character's arc/writing. She kicked ass. And I will agree, its far more believable.

However- The film's score was pure SHIT. The orchestral score literally sucked the life out of the movie..The film LOOKED like a cross between a highbrow Oscar nominee and a Lifetime film. It lacked real suspense. It looked and sounded too glossy. It looks and feels NOTHING like a horror film. The scares were minimal. The kills were completely forgettable. It lacks in all areas. Very surprised by the fervent support. However, I credit that to JLC's excellent performance. And it was excellent. I actually thought whatshisname was great as her son too.

by Anonymousreply 99October 24, 2020 9:21 PM

But you know who sucked? That comatose granddaughter who is less exciting than watching paint dry. And Judy Greer was completely miscast.

by Anonymousreply 100October 24, 2020 9:28 PM

R100-

Agreed. I was especially surprised at how bad Greer was. Did not mind the granddaughter. Somehow loved the film.

by Anonymousreply 101October 24, 2020 9:30 PM

H2018 is the most overrated horror movie since GET OUT.

by Anonymousreply 102October 24, 2020 10:27 PM

I FUCKING HATED GET OUT!!!!! Overrated bullshit. I did enjoy, in fact, I actually I LOVED "US" by the same producer.

by Anonymousreply 103October 24, 2020 10:39 PM

And R87 is like my horror spirit twin X10. We need to watch these films together!!!! Love this guy/girl/ person!

by Anonymousreply 104October 24, 2020 10:42 PM

US creeped me out more than almost any movie, partially because of all of the questions you have to answer for yourselves.

I can't watch the beginning of US with the creepy movie and the rabbit anymore. Freaks me out knowing what that's really all about.

And then the ending with "Les Fleurs" by Minnie Ripperton and Hands Across America... facing freaky!!!!

I LOVE US even if it disturbs me so much.

by Anonymousreply 105October 25, 2020 12:44 AM

Beginning with the creepy MUSIC and the rabbit...

by Anonymousreply 106October 25, 2020 12:45 AM

Facing freaky???? FUCKING FREAKY!

by Anonymousreply 107October 25, 2020 12:50 AM

Get Out was just black stepford wives.

I think peele showed himself far more bold and imaginative with us.

by Anonymousreply 108October 25, 2020 1:19 AM

I'm not a fan of M. Night Peele. But back to Halloween. Why couldn't the girl who was supposed to babysit for Jamie in Halloween 4 bring her crutches over? Jamie wasn't a toddler she'd have to chase around all night. She could've parked it on the couch. Seemed odd to me. They should've just said she was sick and couldn't come over.

by Anonymousreply 109October 25, 2020 1:28 AM

H20 easily has a way better script than the 2018 version. It gives Laurie something to do and seems genuinely interested in her. Where the 2018 version beats it is the score, the cinematography, Michael's mask and general look, and the mood. It feels more like a Halloween movie. I guess that's all people need to believe it's a superior story. It definitely helps, but H20 was trying to tell a much better story and, even with the flaws, I'd still say it's a much more interesting and satisfying movie with a better performance from Jamie Lee.

by Anonymousreply 110October 25, 2020 2:17 AM

And it keeps more of the franchise in continuity.

by Anonymousreply 111October 25, 2020 3:51 AM

I think Halloween as a series suffered a lot from an inability to stick with a semi-coherent continuity. Why does this series have to keep erasing past films and starting fresh? Just pick something and stick with it!!

by Anonymousreply 112October 25, 2020 3:56 AM

I kind of dig the "choose your own adventure" aspect of the franchise.

by Anonymousreply 113October 25, 2020 3:59 AM

I'm genuinely surprised that the RZ Halloween re-makes don't get more hate. I'd say his remake of Halloween II is one of the worst films I have ever seen. I guess RZ has a bit of clout in the horror universe, but I just don't *get* him. People complain about the Nightmare on Elm Street, Texas Chain Saw Massacre, Friday the 13th, etc. remakes, but at least they were JUST forgettable and not repellant garbage.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 114October 25, 2020 4:11 AM

The Texas Chainsaw Massacre remake with Jessica Beale was awesome, but it was not remade by RZ. Elm Street should never have been remade. Robert Englund is everything.

by Anonymousreply 115October 25, 2020 7:03 AM

[Quote] The Texas Chainsaw Massacre remake with Jessica Beale was awesome,

Especially the handgun in a vagina scene.

by Anonymousreply 116October 25, 2020 12:32 PM

Rob Zombie's installments are pure and utter shit. They make Halloween 5 look like Halloween 1978.

by Anonymousreply 117October 25, 2020 2:08 PM

That hot blond boy, Taylor Handley, put on a meathook and he begs Jessica to just stab him was insane. I had to take a nap after watching that and they crazy sheriff breaking a bottle over that kids face. Scary!

by Anonymousreply 118October 25, 2020 4:11 PM

I am watching "Halloween 5" right now on AMC—I know it's one of the more maligned sequels (though not quite as maligned as Part 6, which I happen to like), but having rewatched it a few times in the last couple years, I appreciate it more. It's very gothic looking and dark, the cinematography is unsettling, and it has a dour mood about it. The psychic connection plot line between Jamie and Michael is a bit silly, but that aside, I think it's a pretty decent installment.

by Anonymousreply 119October 25, 2020 4:19 PM

R114 the Rob Zombie films do get a significant amount of hate, especially amongst horror fans. They have their fans, but there are a lot of people who detest them. I am not really a fan of them—that being said, I do like some of his other movies. "House of 1000 Corpses" is a lot of fun, and I also thought "The Lords of Salem" was pretty creepy (and a lot more arty than his other movies).

by Anonymousreply 120October 25, 2020 4:33 PM

R119 - I am going to watch H5 tonight. My trial for AMC is over tomorrow and thank you for reminding me to cancel it. For anyone who wants to watch all the Halloweens for free, do the AMC+ 7 day trial on Amazon.

by Anonymousreply 121October 25, 2020 5:07 PM

I think r5 makes some good points about Halloween 5. The cinematography is excellent. And it does have an unsettling mood about it that gels nicely with Halloween setting.

My major issue with it is I absolutely LOATHE Tina. A terrible character. She's annoying. I mean, Rachel is killed for... her??? Rachel was an awesome heroine, likable, smart, relatable. Tina was so obnoxious.

It also doesn't help that Jamie screeches her name in this film at least 100 times. It's like Poltergeist III which has all of the characters squawking "CAROL ANNE!!" every two seconds.

Between Halloween 5 and Poltergeist III, you could have a drinking game of the times Tina and Carol Anne are shouted.

by Anonymousreply 122October 25, 2020 5:41 PM

Sorry I meant r119.

by Anonymousreply 123October 25, 2020 5:41 PM

R122, same for any Halloween starring Donald Pleasance. Drink every time he says "he's not a man, he's a (fill in the blank)"

by Anonymousreply 124October 25, 2020 6:04 PM

The franchise is probably the weakest of the three in terms of eye candy. Friday and Elm Street fared much better.

by Anonymousreply 125October 25, 2020 6:19 PM

R120 What I meant to say is that it deserves even MORE hate, in addition to the amount of hate it already receives!

by Anonymousreply 126October 25, 2020 6:59 PM

[quote]It also doesn't help that Jamie screeches her name in this film at least 100 times.

I know I'm supposed to hate her, but I love Tina.

And you are right, Jamie sounds like a meth head jonesing for her next fix shouting, "TINA!"

by Anonymousreply 127October 26, 2020 12:59 AM

I love the slut from Part 4 with the "Cops Do It By The Book" t-shirt. Sheriff Meeker looks like he'd throw a mean fuck.

by Anonymousreply 128October 26, 2020 1:13 AM

Horror Hotties

FIRST FILM....

Friday: Kevin Bacon, Harry Crosby, Crazy Ralph (jk!)

Nightmare: Johnny Depp, "Rod"

Halloween: "Bob"

SECOND FILM...

Friday: Tom McBride, Russell Todd, "Paul," "Jeff"

Nightmare: "Jesse," Robert Rusler

Halloween: Billy Warlock

THIRD FILM...

Friday: "Andy," "Rick"

Nightmare: Rodney Eastman, "Phillip" "Wizard Master in the wheelchair"

Halloween: Tom Atkins's cute ass

FOURTH FILM...

Friday: Peter Barton, Lawrence Monoson, Crispin Glover, "He's Killing Me Guy"

Nightmare: Rodney Eastman, Danny Hassel, Andras Jones

Halloween: Sasha Jensen, Electrical Worker who gets fried

Someone else take over....

by Anonymousreply 129October 26, 2020 1:14 AM

R129 You forgot about me!!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 130October 26, 2020 1:36 AM

FIFTH FILM

Friday: Eddie, Matt, Pete, Jake

Halloween: Spitz, The Vinny Bag o' Donuts cop

Nightmare: Danny Hassel

by Anonymousreply 131October 26, 2020 2:30 AM

I thought the cops from Halloween 5 were hot, too. Especially the Italian looking one.

I thought the geeky comic book guy from Dream Child was cute, too.

by Anonymousreply 132October 26, 2020 3:22 AM

One of my issues with Halloween 2018 is when Aaron is talking about how Michael Myers killed his sister, and the '78 footage doesn't exactly match what he's saying.

The first thing he says is that Michael Myers severed his sisters spine, which did not happen, as you can see in the '78 footage.

I will say that the actor who played Aaron was probably the only cutest guy in the movie. The boyfriends of the girls were downright homely.

by Anonymousreply 133October 26, 2020 6:34 AM

"Halloween" (1978): "Treats for Bob"....I loved that line.

by Anonymousreply 134October 26, 2020 7:08 AM

[quote]Halloween: "Bob"

I'm all about Sheriff Brackett and the amazing chest hair barely constrained by his undershirt. Woof, daddy!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 135October 26, 2020 11:50 AM

In H20, Keri/Laurie says "one rainy night he decides to go trick or treating." It didn't rain on Halloween 1978, it rained the night before when he escaped.

by Anonymousreply 136October 26, 2020 11:55 AM

If we have to wait yet another for Halloween Kills, I am fine with, as long as it opens in October. That way this habit of opening a Halloween movie in the middle of goddamn summer will die. Before H40, the last one to open in October was Halloween 5.

R136, that always bothered me too.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 137October 28, 2020 6:24 AM

Jamie Lee seems to have zero respect for the men and women who worked on the sequels she wasn’t involved with.

by Anonymousreply 138October 28, 2020 11:01 AM

R137, I HATED that they released so many of sequels in the summer or September. WTF?

by Anonymousreply 139October 28, 2020 11:26 AM

R138, even the ones she did work on. If you ever watch the Night She Came Home documentary on the DVD about the convention appearance she did, she's talking to Brad Loree and says "you were the guy with the knife, which sequel?" Then asks his name.

by Anonymousreply 140October 28, 2020 11:28 AM

Just watched Halloween 2018, skipped it when it came out, WHAT a Piece of SHIT.

I thought that was supposed to be the good one.

None of it made sense and Jamie Lee (who I love) was given the most pathetic reworking of Laurie Strode.

by Anonymousreply 141October 28, 2020 11:28 PM

I think Part 4 is a good sequel. Love the atmosphere.

by Anonymousreply 142October 28, 2020 11:49 PM

In all fairness to Jamie Lee, Resurrection was a contractual obligation that she didn't want to do, but had to sign on to in order to get H20 made. She probably doesn't remember a second of her time on that set and who could blame her?

by Anonymousreply 143October 29, 2020 12:03 AM

i totally agree R141, i thought Halloween 2018 was going to be really good. I hated the whole bunker house, trained to kill Michael plotline.

by Anonymousreply 144October 29, 2020 12:10 AM

Watching the original as I type. It’s the best. The first three are the best, as they have that magical Carpenter/Cundy magic that just can’t be beat.

by Anonymousreply 145October 29, 2020 12:13 AM

[quote] I would think most people in 2002 wanted to see Tyra Banks die.

They already saw that happen in 1995’s Higher Learning.

by Anonymousreply 146October 29, 2020 12:50 AM

[quote][R89] - That was the song/main theme from Scream 1 although I think they had a different band cover.

“Don’t Fear the Reaper” was remade for Scream because of its iconic use in Halloween in the scene where Laurie and Annie are being tailed by Michael while driving and smoking pot. Scream was heavily influenced by Halloween.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 147October 29, 2020 12:56 AM

I am not a fan of the Thorn trilogy. Part 4 is fine, and I am among those who actually do like part 5 (NOT that mask, though), but part 6 is absolute SHIT. And Salt Lake City is NOT Haddonfield. What made parts I and II so great is that John Carpenter and Dean Cundy were able to make So. Cal in the spring feel like the Midwest in autumn (brief glimpses of palm trees aside). Also, the house that was used as the Myers house in part 5 was abominable. The Myers House is a tiny little two story, not some huge gothic mansion.

by Anonymousreply 148October 29, 2020 1:04 AM

H20 was hackneyed Scream-esque tripe and was not scary in the least. The score and cinematography were all wrong, and Jamie Lee looked too much like Jamie Lee. At least the 2018 Laurie looked more believably like 1978 Laurie 40 years later.

by Anonymousreply 149October 29, 2020 1:07 AM

H III is great. The atmosphere and score are perfect, and Dan O’Herlihy as Cochran was genuinely creepy. Loved Tom Atkins too. He’s a trip in interviews.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 150October 29, 2020 1:15 AM

In Halloween 2018, I thought they were still siblings, but Laurie had tried to convince people it was only a rumor? It's been awhile.

R118 Jessica Biel had to kill Mike Vogel in that remake. Taylor Handley was in the prequel with Jordana Brewster.

by Anonymousreply 151October 29, 2020 2:14 AM

Once was not enough, R146.

Glad to see I'm not the only one who thought H40 was nonsense. If they were going to delete the brother/sister angle (okay, whatever), and set up Michael as some random maniac on the loose, why did the script seem to go out of its way to have Michael stalk Laurie? The plot is engineered to send Michael to Laurie's front door.

He seems content just wandering around Haddonfield and slaughtering whoever's in sight, for roughly the first 75 minutes or so. But then it's hard to forget he's just a random murderer, driving to Laurie's house instead of finding more people in town to kill. They're no longer related, but it sure seems like he wants to finish her off in particular.

Damn, now I really wish I'd had the money to buy that Limited Deluxe Edition that was released a few years back. I'd love to revisit this series on blu-ray.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 152October 29, 2020 8:08 AM

I own that box set!!!!!

by Anonymousreply 153October 29, 2020 12:13 PM

Love the box set. Better extras than the Friday the 13th one.

by Anonymousreply 154October 29, 2020 12:44 PM

I never thought I'd live in a time when the Halloween and Friday the 13th series had such great box sets with such great special features.

by Anonymousreply 155October 29, 2020 5:28 PM

New Halloween Kills trailer

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 156October 29, 2020 9:04 PM

Kyle looks so scared in R156. Like Kim's gonna steal her house back.

by Anonymousreply 157October 29, 2020 9:53 PM

LOVE that teaser trailer!

by Anonymousreply 158October 29, 2020 10:34 PM

R157 I understood that reference 🤣

by Anonymousreply 159October 29, 2020 11:07 PM

Kyle Richards for Best Supporting Actress in 2022 to make up for Jamie Lee being snubbed!

Let’s start campaigning now.

by Anonymousreply 160October 29, 2020 11:49 PM

Kyle Richards as Best Supporting Psycho Biddy

by Anonymousreply 161October 29, 2020 11:50 PM

Is Paul Rudd back as flaming gay Tommy Doyle?

by Anonymousreply 162October 29, 2020 11:53 PM

The notoriously calm and collected Anthony Michael Hall is playing Tommy Doyle.

by Anonymousreply 163October 29, 2020 11:56 PM

I wonder if they thought about asking Paul Rudd to be in Halloween Kills. I bet they did, but Jamie Lee Curtis thinks she should be the only STAR in the film.

by Anonymousreply 164October 30, 2020 1:32 AM

Why didn't they just cast the original Tommy from Halloween? They pulled Kyle Richards out from obscurity to reprise Lindsay, why not Brian Andrews?

by Anonymousreply 165October 30, 2020 1:45 AM

R165 I am guessing he wasn't interested and/or there was some sort of conflict, as he'd be an idiot not to take up an offer like that. I looked at his IMDb and he's done a couple recent things, but nothing substantial. He didn't do much acting after "Halloween." Kyle, on the other hand, had a bit of a career pre- and post-"Halloween," long before she became better-known as Paris Hilton's aunt/a Real Housewife. Anyone remember her as the quirky (and later, possessed) little sister in the royally fucked up Disney(!?) movie "The Watcher in the Woods"?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 166October 30, 2020 6:17 AM

I only like whichever ones allow me to enjoy the acting talent of Sheri Moon Zombie.

by Anonymousreply 167October 30, 2020 6:26 AM

Sign the petition to bring back Brian Andrews as Tommy Doyle!

Let's bring him back to his rightful place.

Make that change!!!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 168October 30, 2020 6:28 AM

R165, I wouldn't exactly say they pulled Kyle Richards from obscurity. Even though I can't stand the series, she is well known for Real Housewives of Beverly Hills and the incredibly unfunny cat meme. I think they should've asked Brian Andrews back but I guess they wanted a bigger name. He seems like a bit of a loser at the conventions.

by Anonymousreply 169October 30, 2020 1:05 PM

I'd love a movie where Kim tries to steal her "goddamn house" back again from Kyle.

by Anonymousreply 170October 30, 2020 4:34 PM

I was told they did ask Brian Andrews back, but he's a little on the unstable side and it didn't work out. After that, they went to Paul Rudd and he was interested, but couldn't get out filming one of those Ant-Man movies.

by Anonymousreply 171October 30, 2020 4:53 PM

R170 Escape from Bitch Mountain... with My Goddamn House

Starring Kim Richards and Her Goddamn House

by Anonymousreply 172October 30, 2020 8:30 PM

I always loved Kim!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 173October 30, 2020 9:41 PM

R172 start the GoFundMe lol

by Anonymousreply 174October 31, 2020 4:47 AM

It's easy to forget that both Kim and Kyle Richards were popular child actors. It still surprises me how Kim grew up. Anyone who grew up in the late '70s and '80s remembers them. So, I have a feeling Kyle will be good in Halloween Kills.

by Anonymousreply 175October 31, 2020 6:25 AM

R45, absolutely. And the reason is a very greedy producer....aka....Moustapha Akkad. He milked it for all it's worth, regardless of the quality. typical talentless producer. (Here's looking at you Kathleen Kennedy.) He didn't deserve his fate, but sorry, not sorry.

by Anonymousreply 176October 31, 2020 7:08 AM

Kim met an unfortunate end in Carpenter’s Assault On Precinct 13...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 177October 31, 2020 9:21 AM

Goodbye Kathy, Hello Larry!

by Anonymousreply 178October 31, 2020 2:42 PM

Anyone having a marathon tonight?

by Anonymousreply 179October 31, 2020 11:37 PM

I'm watching the TV versions (from the box set!) of H1 & H2, then the Producer's Cut of H666.

by Anonymousreply 180October 31, 2020 11:40 PM

Earlier, I watched H2018. It's really just awful.

Killing his sister Judith is such a big deal for Michael in H2018, but going after random nobody Laurie Strode is just as important after 40 years? Nonsense. She's his sister as Carpenter established in 1981.

MM runs around Haddonfield slaughtering townsfolk swiftly, but he hides in the black kid's closet for 15 minutes? It makes no sense.

The "JLC Should Win An OSCAR!" KAWEEN here kept saying that the ending was rewritten and filmed, thus the gore at the end. "At the end??" There is senseless gore from the beginning! The convenience store scene has some of the most graphic images in the entire franchise.

MM is a mindless killer, so why does THE MASK drive all those mental patients even crazier? (Obviously, it's the power of The Thorn, not referenced in this inane, overrated film).

What a piece of junk. Tyra Banks and Rob Zombie did better than this.

by Anonymousreply 181October 31, 2020 11:47 PM

Michael's reign of terror is all Dr. Loomis' fault. If he let Sheriff Brackett alert the news and media about the possibility of Michael being in Haddonfield, everyone would've been on alert.

by Anonymousreply 182November 1, 2020 12:20 AM

I'm shocked they left in Bob's line about ripping Lindsey's clothes off.

by Anonymousreply 183November 1, 2020 12:34 AM

R181, I could not disagree more. Wow.... But that's cool... Rob Zombie did better??? Jesus.

by Anonymousreply 184November 1, 2020 12:48 AM

"Get me a beer!"

by Anonymousreply 185November 1, 2020 12:48 AM

We get it, R184, you think Jason Blum is the most brilliant filmmaker ever and his slightest touch equals cinematic magic.

H2018 is horrible and makes less sense than the endings of H5 and H6.

by Anonymousreply 186November 1, 2020 12:50 AM

But did they have to kill Vivian Vance in such a horrific manner?

by Anonymousreply 187November 1, 2020 12:53 AM

R186 There's NO WAY H2018 is worse than RZ's remakes, Sheri. Go defend your husband's shitteous remakes somewhere else.

by Anonymousreply 188November 1, 2020 12:55 AM

PJ Soles is so good at playing a slut in the original Halloween.

"Yeah?"

"See something you like?" (Shows tits)

(Giggles)

Poor Linda doesn't even get to fuck Paul on Halloween.

by Anonymousreply 189November 1, 2020 1:01 AM

Gayling Lumpy is the only character worth rooting for in the dreck that is H2018.

"DADDY!!!"

by Anonymousreply 190November 1, 2020 1:10 AM

Lynda did do it. She was in bed post coital smoking when Michael comes in.

I'm still baffled as to why the kitchen has a door. Was that a trendy style back in the day?

by Anonymousreply 191November 1, 2020 1:14 AM

They show Bob finishing off pumping Lynda and rolling off of her. They light up their cigarette and then the bitch wants her fucking beer.

She definitely had sex with Bob before she died.

BAD 'Halloween' fan!

#SAD

by Anonymousreply 192November 1, 2020 1:39 AM

A high school remake of Halloween on a 20 lb. video camcorder would be better than the shiteous Rob Zombie Halloween movies.

by Anonymousreply 193November 1, 2020 2:05 AM

Halloween 3 would have done way better if it hadn't been forced into the Halloween franchise.

by Anonymousreply 194November 1, 2020 4:52 AM

Sorry, I meant Annie!

by Anonymousreply 195November 1, 2020 6:38 AM

2018 was an abomination. Had it just been another lousy sequel, maybe it wouldn't have made me as mad, but the fact that the filmmakers said "we think we can do better, so we're getting rid of every sequel and pretending they never happened just so we can bring you our fresh, new vision" and then delivered us that reheated garbage was like a slap in the face. You canceled out all those sequels for that? It was just Halloween H20 with a Laurie that didn't make sense and a ton of homages to the other sequels in the franchise.

by Anonymousreply 196November 1, 2020 3:25 PM

H18's score and cinematography are superior to H20.

by Anonymousreply 197November 1, 2020 3:28 PM

That is true.

by Anonymousreply 198November 1, 2020 3:33 PM

The mask and Michael's build were also much better in 2018. A shame about the lousy script, though.

by Anonymousreply 199November 1, 2020 3:50 PM

R196, Functioning Alcoholic Laurie in H20 in 1998 made much more sense than 2018's ridiculous Rambo Laurie. H20 Laurie knew that Michael was her brother and that's why he stalked her (and her unmentioned daughter, Jamie).

But H2018's Laurie? She spent 40 years KNOWING an elderly serial killer would somehow escape and come straight to her... why?

No, not "trauma does this to victims" shit excuses.

The premise in H2018 is stupid and weak.

The producers were just embarrassed by some of the sequels, so, rather than just not reference them (as H20 chose), they just wiped them away and said, "WE CAN DO IT BETTER!"

No, you didn't.

by Anonymousreply 200November 1, 2020 4:08 PM

I hated Michael's quarterback build in H4.

by Anonymousreply 201November 1, 2020 4:12 PM

The way Laurie behaved in H20 was too unlike the character. Laurie was meek, taciturn and only exuded strength when needed. The ballsy, foul-mouthed Laurie in H20 was not Laurie-esque at all. And Michael is not Laurie's brother. That entire plot device was shit, is shit and will always be shit. Even Carpenter agrees.

by Anonymousreply 202November 1, 2020 5:07 PM

But Rambo Laure is in line with the original Laurie?

So she lives in fear for her life but still manages to bring a child into the world so she can instill fear? If I was Rambo Laurie, I'd be going to the abortion clinic and saying "Kill it".

H2018 was a major disappointment. I think the director and producers benefitted from Jamie Lee returning, Carpenter doing the score (which was awesome) and they released it at the right time (nostalgia for the first film, 40th anniversary and actually releasing the film in October). Those factors masked what a lame film it really is.

by Anonymousreply 203November 1, 2020 6:22 PM

Props to H18 for making more money than not only any other film in the franchise, but more than any slasher film in history, from what I gather. A $255 million profit on a $15 million budget is amazing, especially for a slasher.

by Anonymousreply 204November 1, 2020 6:28 PM

I'm still fascinated by all those people who found the 2018 movie to be the scariest since the original. Really? There was zero suspense and not a single scare throughout the entire film. I don't even remember a cheesy jump scare in the movie.

by Anonymousreply 205November 1, 2020 6:49 PM

The first two are still the scariest to me. Part three isn’t as scary but it does have that same spooky atmosphere.

by Anonymousreply 206November 1, 2020 8:14 PM

R204, don't forget the best gross starring a broad over 60.

by Anonymousreply 207November 2, 2020 12:04 AM

In contrast to R205, I'm fascinated by people who act like Halloween 2018 is. LITERALLY. THE. WORST. MOVIE. EVER.

by Anonymousreply 208November 2, 2020 12:12 AM

^It’s not. They’re just H20/Thorn trilogy apologists.

by Anonymousreply 209November 2, 2020 12:34 AM

It's definitely not the worst movie ever. It's simply a disappointing film. Halloween: Resurrection is a far worse movie.

by Anonymousreply 210November 2, 2020 12:37 AM

Yet ions above Rob Zombie's movies.

by Anonymousreply 211November 2, 2020 1:26 AM

Only the first two feel authentically feel like the Halloween films. The rest are watered down and or trash. Including H40. The sibling angle, while ridiculous, is the only credible way he keeps coming after JLC. But the series has been incredibly undermined by the countless ignoring of the previous ones. I find three ok. At least they were audacious enough to try something different. 4, 5, 6 are junk. I find killers going after small children really repellent. And I don’t care how cool the cinematography and atmosphere are. H20 had some good elements and I’m prefer this version of Laurie as opposed to H40, but alas stupid when we were cheated again with his not being killed. Jamie said it started out as one thing, but ultimately a film she did just for the payday. Resurrection and the Zombie movies are actually beneath the level of trash.

by Anonymousreply 212November 2, 2020 1:32 AM

H1 is classic. H2 is a solid sequel. H20 was also solid as well. I have some issues with H2018 but it, too, is solid.

by Anonymousreply 213November 2, 2020 1:52 AM

[Quote] Halloween: Resurrection is a far worse movie.

But it had Busta Rhymes doing kungfu moves on Michael Myers.

by Anonymousreply 214November 2, 2020 2:16 AM

I can't decide which film is worse: RZ's Halloween II or Jason X.

by Anonymousreply 215November 2, 2020 2:18 AM

Tough call, but I'd have to go with Jason X. Just so far gone from the rest of the franchise.

by Anonymousreply 216November 2, 2020 2:33 AM

RZ’s and Jadon X were so bad they’re beyond ranking.

by Anonymousreply 217November 2, 2020 2:49 AM

^ did Jadon have a peanut allergy in that movie?

by Anonymousreply 218November 2, 2020 3:01 AM

^ Yes, but in space.

by Anonymousreply 219November 2, 2020 3:02 AM

The only watchable film is the first one; the rest all are crap crap crap (with the overrated H40 probably being the worst of the bunch). But hey, at least there's one good film in there, which is more than some of the other horror franchises (like Friday the 13th) can say.

by Anonymousreply 220November 2, 2020 3:23 AM

Some people didn't like the extra scenes John Carpenter filmed for the original years after it came out for the TV version.

The ending of the TV version of II is better than the original.

by Anonymousreply 221November 2, 2020 3:53 AM

R220, I think you're confusing the Halloween franchise with Nightmare on Elm Street.

by Anonymousreply 222November 2, 2020 12:27 PM

R222 What are you smoking, missy? Dream Warriors and New Nightmare (while nowhere near the quality of the first installment) were miles ahead of any of the Halloween sequels.

by Anonymousreply 223November 2, 2020 12:35 PM

Not Halloween II (1981), Halloween 4 or Halloween H20.

by Anonymousreply 224November 2, 2020 7:53 PM

Halloween II was a masterpiece. Leo Rossi's ass was to die for.

by Anonymousreply 225November 2, 2020 8:58 PM

Leo Rossi, come sit on my face...

by Anonymousreply 226November 2, 2020 10:10 PM

Of the Big Three Horror Franchises, Halloween is my favorite. I have the big boxset. I understand why some aren't a fan, but I really like the multiple timelines. It's like a classic Choose Your Adventure Book. Sometimes I'm in the mood for H4, sometimes, H20. Pretty much any of them except Zombie's #2. Sorry Sheri.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 227December 13, 2020 7:05 PM

I’m shocked anyone picked Season of the Witch

by Anonymousreply 228December 13, 2020 7:12 PM

Season of the Witch is great. Plot holes aside, it had a creepy villain, a great score by Carpenter and is the last film in the series to have that anything-can-happen atmosphere that only Carpenter and Dean Cundy could deliver.

by Anonymousreply 229December 13, 2020 7:19 PM

*score by Carpenter and Alan Howarth.

by Anonymousreply 230December 13, 2020 7:20 PM

Is Kyle Richards nude in "Halloween Kills?"

by Anonymousreply 231January 20, 2021 11:22 PM

R231 i fucking hope not.

by Anonymousreply 232January 21, 2021 3:46 AM

They should just shoot Michael Myers in the head with hollow point bullets and take turns dismembering him with axes in order to kill him for good. It may very well work given that the crazy thorn curse from Halloween 6 that renders him immortal takes place in an alternate parallel universe due to retconning.

by Anonymousreply 233January 21, 2021 2:01 PM

The last one was so unrealistic when it came to Jamie Lee Curtis' character. We don't learn anything about what she's been doing for the last 40 years. Where are her parents? Wouldn't they have tried to help her at some point? Maybe they died and left her some money to make her ridiculous woodland fortress. Who was the father of Judy Greer? Filling in these blanks would have made it so much more interesting.

by Anonymousreply 234January 21, 2021 6:22 PM

He only went after her ONCE before the events of the 2018 film in this continuity and she lives in a guarded fortress awaiting his return which is unrealistic. Now if Halloween II wasn't retconned or this was a sequel to Resurrection revealing that Laurie survived being stabbed and falling off of the roof of the psychiatric hospital then it would make more a lot sense.

by Anonymousreply 235January 23, 2021 12:45 AM

This really should have been the sequel to H20. It would have made a lot more sense. Michael was caught even though he switched clothes with the paramedic. Laurie being traumatized after that would make a lot of sense. Plus, she realistically could have had a daughter after that who was a teenage in H2018.

by Anonymousreply 236January 23, 2021 1:05 AM

That clothing switch with the paramedic is so stupid. The fact that a guy who is completely mute, has only one eye due to the other one being gouged out with a wire hanger and has extensive facial scarring from an oxygen tank explosion could merely put on an EMT uniform and escape notice is ridiculous. I know that was already put in place during the ending of H20 because "Michael" is panicking, looks confused and is frantically trying to remove his mask after the van crashed but still.

by Anonymousreply 237January 23, 2021 1:47 AM

Halloween H20 was far superior to the 2018 Halloween. Plus, it had A-list talent like Michelle Williams and Josh (okay, maybe he's B-list). If they had continued with that time-line for 2018 Halloween...would've been much better. Hate that chick from Arrested Development (Kitty) being the daughter.

by Anonymousreply 238January 23, 2021 11:35 PM

Can we just call this the goddamned Halloween 2018 Hate thread?

I dug H2018 and this thread is a drag if you liked it.

And I may only not be committing suicide because I like wine and I have to see Halloween Kills before ending it all.

by Anonymousreply 239January 23, 2021 11:37 PM

[Quote] Hate that chick from Arrested Development (Kitty) being the daughter.

I like Judy, but her character was so bland in this movie. And i didn't much care for the granddaughter either.

by Anonymousreply 240January 24, 2021 2:58 AM

Okay, I have to speak up. I was shocked at how bad Judy was in this film. And I once LOVED her!

I am going to give you that one.

I loved her husband and was okay with the daughter though,

It may have heightened the stakes if Michael would have killed Judy , instead!

by Anonymousreply 241January 24, 2021 3:00 AM

The Linda Hamilton thing just doesn't work with Laurie, because we never saw her build to it like in H20. She didn't start out as a warrior in that movie. She had an arc and grew into one in time for the finale. It's hard to be frightened for someone when the stakes aren't really against them and it seems like they can take care of themselves.

by Anonymousreply 242January 24, 2021 3:27 AM

I always find them enjoyable when I see them in the theater (with the exception of the dreadful Resurrection and Curse of MM). Even the Rob Zombie ones I enjoyed seeing on the big screen for the first time. It's always after seeing it a second time at home can I gauge how much I actually like or hate it. I did enjoy H18 despite the ludicrous Laurie Strode storyline and the even more ludicrous plot with the doctor. I'm looking forward to seeing Halloween Kills this year!

by Anonymousreply 243January 24, 2021 4:06 AM

What are the chances of Paul Rudd making an appearance???

by Anonymousreply 244January 24, 2021 4:30 AM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 245January 24, 2021 4:47 AM

Thanks R245

by Anonymousreply 246January 24, 2021 6:15 AM

H2018 was a great movie in and of itself. It is top 4 best. It, though, should have been a sequel to H20. H, H2, H20 and H2018 would have been a killer 4 movies and continuation of the franchise.

by Anonymousreply 247January 24, 2021 6:16 AM

Thinking about that R247, 2018 Laurie might have worked. If you discounted Resurrection and made the 2018 one a sequel to H20, but kept that same "Michael switched bodies with a paramedic" twist, Laurie's fragile state would make a hell of a lot more sense. By taking away all the films except the original, that Laurie didn't feel realistic. She'd still be traumatized and maybe even divorced, but with Michael safely locked away for all these years and no forced family connection in place to him, you'd think she'd be a little better adjusted.

In terms of mood and feel, the 2018 was the best one since part 3, but Laurie didn't make a lot of sense.

by Anonymousreply 248January 24, 2021 6:20 PM

H2018 should've been in the H2O timeline with the same leads and maybe Kyle Richards, to incorporate a character from the first film.

by Anonymousreply 249January 26, 2021 7:50 PM

Halloween 2018 could have been a great slasher movie...except that the plotline made absolutely no sense. I know, a plotline in a Halloween movie is stupid, but the H40 movie goes out of its way to distance Laurie Strode and Michael as siblings...and then goes out of its way to engineer a plotline where Michael drives straight to Laurie's door.

Look, I can fanwank a huge number of things. I could (possibly) even fanwank the continuity between Michael Myers in H20 and Resurrection. But this plot issue? It strained credulity at best.

by Anonymousreply 250January 28, 2021 4:34 AM

I didn’t think it had quite enough MM acknowledging Laurie. I KNOW he knew it was her but I needed a tangible recognition.

by Anonymousreply 251January 28, 2021 11:31 AM

H2018 should've been in the H20 universe timeline and had the following leads: Jamie Lee Michelle Williams Josh Hartnett Kim Richards

With prestige horror being a thing, Michelle and Josh probably would've done it. The Halloween Kills film could star the same people.

by Anonymousreply 252March 3, 2021 6:35 PM

Kyle Richards, not Kim r252.

Halloween Kills (2022)

Set in the Halloween H20 universe, this film follows the penultimate showdown between Laurie and Michael.

Starring:

Jamie Lee Curtis

Michelle Williams

Josh Hartnett

and

Kyle Richards

by Anonymousreply 253March 4, 2021 8:10 PM

Halloween

Halloween 4 and Halloween 2018

Halloween 6

Halloween 5 / Halloween 2

H20

The rest.

by Anonymousreply 254March 4, 2021 8:25 PM

To me, the best in the series thus far, in order, are: the original, H II (1981), H III (no Michael, but PLENTY of atmosphere and a killer Carpenter score), and H 2018 (this one is interchangeable with H III)

Not a huge Thorn trilogy fan, but of the three films, I can only stomach 4 and 5. The Curse SUCKS.

H20 is too much like Scream and has a lousy score and not-so-great atmosphere. It meh to me.

I don't even want to discuss the abominations that are Resurrection and the two hideous Rob Zombie films.

by Anonymousreply 255March 5, 2021 12:55 AM

Which sequel has Jamie Lee on the ground outside a car and she can’t scream for help. I started hyperventilating...lol

by Anonymousreply 256March 5, 2021 1:13 AM

2!!!!

by Anonymousreply 257March 5, 2021 1:39 AM

[quote] Which sequel has Jamie Lee on the ground outside a car and she can’t scream for help. I started hyperventilating...lol

They would be part II from 1981

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 258March 5, 2021 11:12 AM

Is Kyle going to be in the final one of this trilogy?

by Anonymousreply 259March 17, 2021 6:56 PM

No R259-

I suspect (spoiler? Its just my opinion)

That she dies along with Tommy.

I read from the previews that the film has surprisingly emotional moments..

The preview folks also said that Kyle was excellent and the film is better than H2018.

I suspect most folks here will be too busy raving about the vanilla as FUCK H20 until doomsday, to notice.

by Anonymousreply 260March 17, 2021 9:16 PM

Carpenter never intended for there to be another Michael Myers movie for the sequel(s) to Halloween. He meant for them to be a series of different stories taking place on Halloween. Though he was only partially involved with what became Halloween 2, he's since stated that he hates it. Basically Halloween 3 was what he was really intending to be Halloween 2, but it bombed.

That said, I love Halloween 4. I was only 12 at the time when it came out, and it was the first Halloween movie I got to see in a theater, 10 years after the original came out. It's a solid, thrilling, well paced sequel amongst the Halloween franchise, imo. It's also Danielle Harris's film debut. Michael Myers escapes, and truly wreaks havoc on the town, cutting off their phone lines, dismantling their local police department, cutting off their power grid - all while going on a murdering spree.

There's also a bit of continuity with the previous first two sequels as Jamie Lee Curtis (sort of) appears in the film via some photographs of her, and it's revealed that Michael is Danielle Harris's characters' uncle - ake Laurie Stroder's brother. To add confusion to things though, Danielles' character was "Jamie" in H4.

Parts 5 and 6 were a mess. They didn't even have the full story fleshed out about "The Thorn" cult and "The Man In Black" as they were in the midst of filming them.

The 2018 remake was a big jump in quality. Carpenter and his son doing the soundtrack was also awesome.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 261March 18, 2021 2:04 AM

R261 Are you a man? Can I suck your cock for all of this (below)?

[quote] That said, I love Halloween 4. I was only 12 at the time when it came out, and it was the first Halloween movie I got to see in a theater, 10 years after the original came out. It's a solid, thrilling, well paced sequel amongst the Halloween franchise, imo. It's also Danielle Harris's film debut. Michael Myers escapes, and truly wreaks havoc on the town, cutting off their phone lines, dismantling their local police department, cutting off their power grid - all while going on a murdering spree.

It was also the first true horror film I got to see in theaters. I was 8 years old and begged my mom because I was already in love with the first and second Halloween movies. (Remember when they would show them on basic channels during Halloween?)

Anyway, Danielle Harris and Ellie Cornell are AMAZING in this. They give nuanced and emotionally authentic performances. In fact, they are a big reason why this sequel hits all the right marks.

Also, director Dwight H. Little manages to capture much of what Carpenter established with the first film - the ominous tone and atmosphere - while also bringing his own adept sensibilities to the pic. The score is also fantastic and after watching Halloween 2018, I remember thinking, “Carpenter’s new score was definitely influenced by the score for part 4.”

I created a thread for 4 after seeing the reboot, which I loved, because I hadn’t been as thrilled by a Halloween sequel since then. (Actually, I love 5 and LOVE the atmosphere and tone of 6, but the plots for both are cop outs, so I don’t have the respect Thor them that I do for 4.)

Here’s the thread for 4:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 262March 18, 2021 3:58 AM

Part 4 is just so-so. To me, Rick Rosenthal was the closest in capturing the oh-shit-anything-can-happen vibe that Carpenter did so well in the original. The score for part 4 was kinda meh as well.

by Anonymousreply 263March 18, 2021 1:26 PM

Part 4 for those interested. The opening sequence and score are subtly perfect.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 264March 18, 2021 1:31 PM

The only major downsides to Halloween 4 are the lack of those beautiful, terrifying Dean Cundey compositions and Michael's awful looking mask. Besides that, I've never understood the flack this movie gets. The script is smart, the story's engaging, and the characters are likable. The last act is especially suspenseful. It's certainly a much better film than the 2018 film that everyone jizzed in their pants over.

by Anonymousreply 265March 18, 2021 4:43 PM

R265 The last act, from the “he’s inside the house” sequence all the way to the car sequence, is :chef’s kiss:

by Anonymousreply 266March 18, 2021 4:52 PM

I'm a freak. Halloween 2 is my favorite of the franchise, closely followed by H2018. Halloween 4 I would put solidly in the middle.

If Halloween 4 had a little better photography and better soundtrack- I would probably put it above the original Halloween- which I rank 3rd. The setting- even though it looked far more like Illinois) lacked something to me. It looked a little cheap and lacking character. What was it, Utah? That probably could have been solved with a different film stock.

Ellie Cornell was AWESOME as was Danielle. And you can't go wrong with Loomis. Those 3 are probably the films greatest strength.

The film had some great sequences and some good kills.

Ellie got seriously fucked over in Part 5. What happened did NOTHING for the franchise and really didn't elevate or set the stakes for Part 5 (which was nearly unwatchable)

by Anonymousreply 267March 18, 2021 6:52 PM

R267 I thought the setting had tons of character.

Anyway, I agree, Cornell was totally given short shrift and deserved better in part 5. Also, Pleasance was excellent in 4.

by Anonymousreply 268March 18, 2021 7:02 PM

Part 5 is garbage. 6 is marginally better.

by Anonymousreply 269March 19, 2021 5:09 AM

Part 6 is trash - only slightly better than the god-awful Resurrection. The Zombie films are so bad that I don't even acknowledge them. 4 and 5 are comme ci comme ca (I'm not too keen on the Salt Lake City locales, and the mansion that doubled as the tiny Myers house in part 5 was a big WTF moment), as is H20 - aka - Scream Lite. The best ones are the ones where Carpenter is directly involved, and that includes the often-maligned Season of the Witch.

by Anonymousreply 270March 19, 2021 5:44 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!