Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

What do you do when old friends always ask you about your ex?

For a long time in college I was with a guy who was like the character of "Fun Bobby" on "Friends": he was the life of every party, and everyone adored him, and they didn't know (and I didn't know at first) that he was really troubled and could not form lasting attachments very easily. We had a huge breakup when I found he was constantly cheating on me, and when he moved out of NYC (I did eventually too), he cut out almost all his friends from that time too.

I hear about him every so often when other people bring him up (his life is still a mess, but he lives in LA now), but he's a painful reminder of that broken tie in my life for the most part. But when friends from the period of my life in NYC contact me they always ask about him, and even when i say, "He's in LA and I barely keep in touch with him," they still want to ask me questions about him and why he's no longer friends with them. I feel like they only are still interested in me as a conduit to talk about him. I've even reminded some of them how badly he hurt me and how I don't like talking about him, and they STILL ask me about him.

by Anonymousreply 7October 17, 2020 8:24 PM

For a long time in college I was with a guy who was like the character of "Fun Bobby" on "Friends"

No, you weren't.

by Anonymousreply 1October 17, 2020 6:06 PM

Are they fucking with you, OP? It's clear you're not in touch with him, so why do they always ask? Ask them, "Why do you ask?"

by Anonymousreply 2October 17, 2020 6:14 PM

Maybe your friends find your ex far more stimulating than they find you and would love to know what he’s up to. They’re bored by you.

by Anonymousreply 3October 17, 2020 6:15 PM

I say "He's adjusting to prison pretty well."

by Anonymousreply 4October 17, 2020 6:19 PM

[quote]What do you do when old friends always ask you about your ex?

I tell them he is dead.

by Anonymousreply 5October 17, 2020 6:21 PM

Kick them in the cuntbone.

by Anonymousreply 6October 17, 2020 6:27 PM

Why don't your friends understand your history with him? My friends know at least generally how things ended with people in my past and who is an appropriate topic of discussion and who isn't.

by Anonymousreply 7October 17, 2020 8:24 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!