Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Luxury Trains

Which have you ridden? Which would you like to ride and why?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6October 18, 2020 10:45 PM

I would like to ride all of them (except the ones in Russia and India).

by Anonymousreply 1October 17, 2020 5:20 PM

Le Train Bleu from Paris to Nice, overnight. We brought a little basket of wild strawberries and some cheap sparkling wine for a snack. That’s all I remember.

Life was better in the 20th century.

by Anonymousreply 2October 17, 2020 5:54 PM

Ugh. I read this headline as "Luxury Trans."

by Anonymousreply 3October 17, 2020 5:58 PM

"Train" and "train"! What is "train"?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 4October 18, 2020 5:17 PM

I took a Spanish sleeper called Trenhotel. Not great. The cabin was very old and stained, and it smelled of toilet disinfectant (like the blue liquid in an Amtrak toilet bowl). I booked it through American Express Platinum travel and took a few photos of the compartment and sent them to AMEX. They refunded my fare. I remember also some nonsense about lounge access in the train station. It was all very confusing and expensive and a real ripoff. Earlier on the same trip, I switched from an Italian train to a Swiss sleeper service in Zurich. The difference was striking. The Swiss train was very orderly, the cabin was spotless, with pearl gray laminate surfaces, full spectrum LED lighting operated with highly chromed switches in several locations, a white desk surface that concealed a pop-up chrome faucet, a large glass bottle of mineral water set into a bowl of ice, and starched white bed linens and a triple sheeted down or hollowfill duvet. It was excellent. The dining car was a double decker and they served a mushroom casserole and decent wine and desert. They brought a basket with a warm baguette in a linen towel in a wicker basket and coffee with the International Herald Tribune to my cabin in the morning, and returned my passport (they passed through a customs check overnight). I enjoyed the Swiss rail passage from Zurich to Amsterdam way more than the Spanish train and Italian trains (Italian train had broken Air conditioning, hours late, delayed, and a mess and really loud and aggressive).

by Anonymousreply 5October 18, 2020 5:50 PM

R5, loud and aggressive, like my Italian leather boots!

LMOA!

JK. But it made me laugh because it reminded me of my mother, who isn’t Italian, yet my boots are, and are nicer than my mum.

by Anonymousreply 6October 18, 2020 10:45 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!