Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Extinct Species

The last known live animal was captured in 1933 in Tasmania. It is commonly known as the Tasmanian tiger because of its striped lower back, or the Tasmanian wolf because of its canid-like characteristics.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12October 17, 2020 8:57 PM

I was just reading about Japanese treatment of animals, etc. and hunting there caused the Japanese Sea Lion to become extinct in the 1970s.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1October 17, 2020 3:33 PM

The O-o bird never call a response to his mating song. So sad, little bird.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2October 17, 2020 4:53 PM

OP, I find thylacines fascinating because, as you mentioned, they have or had canid-like characteristics and habits, but they were marsupials, complete with pouches like kangaroos. Their similarities to wolves despite being completely different species is an excellent example of convergent evolution.

by Anonymousreply 3October 17, 2020 5:08 PM

Republicans. (In my dreams.)

by Anonymousreply 4October 17, 2020 5:28 PM

Not as exciting as the Thylacine, maybe, but the Passenger pigeon is a case study that always blows my mind. Previously the most abundant bird in North America, with flocks that were said to darken the sky for hours when they passed and an estimated population of 3 billion individuals. Yet, by the end of the 19th Century, the species had been hunted to extinction.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5October 17, 2020 5:49 PM

Sad :(

by Anonymousreply 6October 17, 2020 6:01 PM

Dinosaurs, extinct since 1989.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7October 17, 2020 6:32 PM

Thruppence

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8October 17, 2020 6:46 PM

I believe that OP’s Thylacine was held in Hobart Zoo in Tasmania, in a horrible little enclosure, and died of exposure when it was locked out of its sleeping quarters. Awful. There’s some heartbreaking film of it pacing back and forward on the concrete floor, and showing how incredibly wide it could open its jaws. It’s only one of many many extinctions, it’s getting worse, and it’s so frigging depressing.

by Anonymousreply 9October 17, 2020 6:53 PM

This is why I believe we will eventually be extinct as a species.

We’re just too freakin’ selfish and stupid to care about anything or anyone else.

If we cannot get ourselves out of the mindset that we have set for ourselves via religion that life on earth doesn’t matter, and that our only purpose is to get here, die, and go to heaven or hell, we will also go by way of the extinct and we will certainly all end of up in hell if there is such a thing, which there isn’t. But our extinction is a hell of its own, and that was the message all along.

by Anonymousreply 10October 17, 2020 7:04 PM

Great photo exhibit to explore some of the extinct/endangered animals @ NatGeo

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 11October 17, 2020 7:30 PM

I’m fine with the Costa Rican Jumping Viper going the way of the Dodo.

by Anonymousreply 12October 17, 2020 8:57 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!