Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Political morality is lacking on the Republican side, but they have been very successful.

"You’ve got to hand it to the Republicans really; they get things done. They don’t care about being called hypocrites. They don’t care about ignoring Ruth Bader Ginsburg’s dying wish that she not be replaced until after the election. They don’t care about common decency. They don’t care about democracy. They just care about power – and they will do whatever it takes to get it."

Is it time to ditch the motto, “When they go low, we go high”?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 51October 18, 2020 5:31 PM

Hallaljeauh! Michelle was miles off with that bullshit.

by Anonymousreply 1October 17, 2020 3:17 PM

Yes and it's been time to ditch it for a while. One thing that I've noticed is that liberals always seem willing to give the benefit of a doubt when it is never ever given in return.

by Anonymousreply 2October 17, 2020 3:20 PM

One thing Republicans know much better than Democrats is that a quite large percentage of people in this country have the morality and the ethics of pigs, and they've capitalized on that magnificently up to now. Sadly for them, they immorality and unethical behavior has finally caught up with them with many voters because the Republican platform has started to hurt too many who have been hornswoggled into believing their line of bullshit.

by Anonymousreply 3October 17, 2020 3:21 PM

The time to ditch that motto was when Obama won the first term and the Dems had control of Congress. Democrats seem to lack the necessary testerone to really fight hard. Lincoln Project ads are always 10X better than anything the regular Dems put out.

This will be a major problem if (when) Biden wins. Republicans will do everything in their power to impede him. Biden might be better fighting them than Obama though. He doesn't seem totally in the clouds about how politics actually works.

by Anonymousreply 4October 17, 2020 3:30 PM

One thing people should remember. Supreme Court Justices may have lifetime appointments, but that DOES NOT mean they can't be removed.

by Anonymousreply 5October 17, 2020 3:31 PM

[quote] This will be a major problem if (when) Biden wins. Republicans will do everything in their power to impede him.

If the dems win the Senate, the Republicans can eat shit. They're toast.

by Anonymousreply 6October 17, 2020 3:32 PM

The Dems need to hire this guy

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7October 17, 2020 3:40 PM

Ruth bader fucking Ginsburg’s selfish stubborn egotistical old ass is the reason we’re in this mess. Fuck her and her “dying wish.”

by Anonymousreply 8October 17, 2020 3:41 PM

[quote] One thing Republicans know much better than Democrats is that a quite large percentage of people in this country have the morality and the ethics of pigs, and they've capitalized on that magnificently up to now.

So what do Republicans who know this want then? Lower taxes?

by Anonymousreply 9October 17, 2020 3:41 PM

[quote] One thing people should remember. Supreme Court Justices may have lifetime appointments, but that DOES NOT mean they can't be removed.

Did someone on another thread say Kavanaugh lied at his confirmation hearing? If so, surely he should be impeached, convicted, removed and replaced. I assume the charge would be perjury; nice one for a judge.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10October 17, 2020 3:43 PM

The Democrats will do nothing, of course

by Anonymousreply 11October 17, 2020 3:47 PM

Junior tells it like it is...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12October 17, 2020 3:48 PM

Impeach the judges who lied in their confirmation hearings.

That’ll clean up this mess.

Then, nominate bipartisan judges who have a record of real American values. Not fake Christianity and cronyism.

by Anonymousreply 13October 17, 2020 3:48 PM

Nice one R12.

by Anonymousreply 14October 17, 2020 3:52 PM

"Democrats, while pressuring Barrett for her stance on issues, were at times warm and complimentary to the federal appeals court judge and her family. The four days of hearings even ended with a hug between the top Republican and Democrat on the panel. "

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 15October 17, 2020 4:01 PM

As usual, Bill Clinton, the most gifted political genius of my lifetime, captured this best when he said that when Americans are feeling insecure, they prefer strong and wrong over weak and right.

It's telling of what extraordinary times we're in right now, though, when even that seems not to be holding.

People see Trump's faux "strong" as the real, actual crapola that it is and are thirsty for the tonic of Sleepy Uncle Joe's policy statements and calm acknowledgment of what every body knows: Covid -19 has everybody over the proverbial fucking barrel.

by Anonymousreply 16October 17, 2020 4:08 PM

Republicans have always tried to justice their hypocritical actions by pretending there’s some rule about it: A president can’t name a SCOTUS judge in his last year; People can’t say anything against the American president on foreign soil; and on and on and on.

All made up rules to allow they to do what they are doing.

Americans are finally catching in to their scam

by Anonymousreply 17October 17, 2020 4:09 PM

The GOP had to rely on pure power grabs. The majority of Americans don’t vote for them but they have rigged the system to win.

This won’t last very long

by Anonymousreply 18October 17, 2020 4:11 PM

It may last longer than you think!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 19October 17, 2020 4:12 PM

Well, the media has completed allowed them to get away with it - Benghazi, Hillary's emails, etc. They interrupted normal broadcast TV if Trump farted in 2016.

Republicans have played the media for over 2 decades - hopefully the media will finally get some backbone, but I'm not sure.

The scandals and misinformation is so unbelievably unbalanced between the two parties, yet it is never mentioned.

Now the Republicans are creating their own, more extreme TV channels like OAN and others. If you think this is going away, think again.

They have learned their lessons - playing dirty works and Dems will never stoop to their level OR will prosecute them.

by Anonymousreply 20October 17, 2020 4:14 PM

The Obamas had no other choice but to go "high". Angry black people are scary to the world, don't you know. White people don't have those kinds of limits, so go as low as you want white people... we encourage you.

In my mind the way democrats govern all comes down to voting. If democrats could count on their base to show up every time and in every election and didn't need to rely on independents, swing voters, and disaffected republicans to make up the gaps, democrats could govern in the exact way that republicans do. They could ram stuff through, they could make sweeping changes and get some real shit done.

And now, even when democrats try to show some strength, the media turns on them and everything becomes about the forgotten working class whites in the midwest who never vote for democrats anyway.

If democrats would not have abandoned Obama in 2010 for teabagger lies, so many things would be so very different right now. It should frustrate all of you how little importance many democrats put into voting, and yes, I acknowledge voter suppression and all that, but sometime you have inconvenience yourself to make a chance.

Someone posted the other day about not understanding why people were standing in those long lines in GA and TX to vote. They did it because that is what they had to do.

by Anonymousreply 21October 17, 2020 4:18 PM

Agree with every word, r21, especially about Obama.

Behold the power of white, male and wealthy, even if the "wealthy" is false, when we saw how Trump behaved at the first debate. And yet, Repugs would have everybody white privilege is a myth.

by Anonymousreply 22October 17, 2020 4:25 PM

would have everybody believe white privilege is a myth.

by Anonymousreply 23October 17, 2020 4:26 PM

If Amy Coney Barrett were a hijab wearing Muslim, the media would be telling how "progressive" her appointment would be.

by Anonymousreply 24October 17, 2020 4:32 PM

If a woman or a man of color got up on that debate stage and did what Trump did, the bottom would have completely fallen out of their campaign. The rules are different.

by Anonymousreply 25October 17, 2020 4:32 PM

R24 that’s completely false and you know it.

by Anonymousreply 26October 17, 2020 4:38 PM

R25 - you forgot how magnificently bad Palin was and she was still supported. No, the rules are different for Republicans and how the media portrays it.

by Anonymousreply 27October 17, 2020 4:39 PM

The Deplorables got their three SCOTUS justices- and a couple hundred in the lower courts- what do they need Trump for anymore? Time to take a break, kick back.

Biden will win, and be handed a shitty economy, astronomical national debt, a divisive country and a pandemic.

See ya in 2024!

by Anonymousreply 28October 17, 2020 4:49 PM

You're right R27, because I just remembered the Dean Scream.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 29October 17, 2020 4:59 PM

Why is Dean wearing Chris Christie's shirt?

by Anonymousreply 30October 17, 2020 5:07 PM

I don't get it. Why was the Dean scream so bad that it derailed him? He was just being exuberant.

by Anonymousreply 31October 17, 2020 5:08 PM

Because idiot newscasters needed something to talk about all day.

by Anonymousreply 32October 17, 2020 5:11 PM

R31 - it was ridiculous what they made of that one sound bite. Totally ruined him. It wasn't anything he said - just his voice got off-kilter.

It's a prime example of how they slam Democrats over nothing in order to seem unbiased.

by Anonymousreply 33October 17, 2020 5:19 PM

The establishment media has always been ready to attack Democrats while being pathetically desperate for the approval of Republicans. Republicans can run amok but if a Democrat shows a bit of backbone or even aggression, there will be about a hundred media pundits clutching their pearls. A lot of political journalists are just vile Type A nerds who want a seat at the jocks table.

by Anonymousreply 34October 17, 2020 5:26 PM

R34 - which is why the Republican media training is simple: keep talking over the reporter and the opponent, then pivot when cornered and keep talking about some unrelated item that is factually distorted or untrue.

This has been their tactic for over 20 years and reporters STILL let them get away with it. Why? Because reporters are supposed to show some level of decorum - unlike Republican talking heads who are the rudest, most aggressive speakers you'll ever find.

Republicans use the media like a play toy - and they do nothing to stop it.

by Anonymousreply 35October 17, 2020 5:30 PM

And the leftie media and the progressive snowflakes have to be nitpicking, anal retentive on the Democrat politicians. Everything has to be perfect, flawless and political correct. The case against Al Franken is the most infuriating one. Fuck you, Amy, Sue Cunt Satandon, Kirsten, Michelle Go-High Obama, all the screaming Karens on the left. Because it's these Karens who just can't accept our own warts and all and have to fuck everything up and self-sabotage our causes for the right. FUCK THEM!!!

by Anonymousreply 36October 17, 2020 5:31 PM

I’m a dem, but let’s be honest, ladies. There is plenty of hypocrisy on both sides. I live in California and Gavin Newsom irks me. I want to like him, but he lives away from the people he claims to care so much about. He has had people protesting peacefully outside of his mansion and he makes sure the cops arrest them immediately. The same man who gives zero support to law enforcement and calls squatters “brave” when they are trespassing on somebody else’s property. Then there is Pelosi telling people not to get their hair done and keeping hair salons closed down whilst she has a blow out and cut in a salon she has paid to have all to herself. None of us can afford to do that! And just look at AOC’s hair....you know that bitch is getting blow outs on the regular. It’s time for a third party. I feel like neither side is speaking to me anymore.

by Anonymousreply 37October 17, 2020 5:47 PM

Oh, you poor thing, r37....

by Anonymousreply 38October 17, 2020 5:49 PM

R38 try harder? To do what? The dems are ridiculous, too. You just sound like another black and white thinker with a borderline personality in the DL.

by Anonymousreply 39October 17, 2020 5:54 PM

Of course I do, Miss "I'm a dem, *but*...". Really, I mean really... try harder...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 40October 17, 2020 5:59 PM

The best thing I've ever heard from a radio commentator was this: "The Democrats play checkers while the Republicans play chess". This is EXACTLY what's happening here.

But I'll add my own: The Republicans play to win while the Democrats hope to not offend you & hurt your feelings.

by Anonymousreply 41October 17, 2020 6:20 PM

I don't agree R41. Everyone expects democrats to be the mom. They clean up all the messes and take care of all the unruly kids and look out for everybody even when it's not in their best interest to do. Meanwhile republicans are the dads, they just come in and blow shit up without any real consequences and go on the family trip without once looking at a road map and refuse to stop at McDonald's.

by Anonymousreply 42October 17, 2020 7:13 PM

[quote]I don't get it. Why was the Dean scream so bad that it derailed him? He was just being exuberant.

It wasn't bad. It was an okay reaction to the moment that was manipulated. I was so angry at the time. Dean was my candidate of choice and he was out of the race before my state held primary elections.

My impression was that the Powers That Be did not want Dean as the Democratic candidate, but I have no evidence.

by Anonymousreply 43October 17, 2020 7:40 PM

There’s nothing moral or decent in believing that any office holder in a democracy should be able to bequeath their position or control how they should be replaced.

by Anonymousreply 44October 17, 2020 7:42 PM

[quote] There’s nothing moral or decent in believing that any office holder in a democracy should be able to bequeath their position or control how they should be replaced.

What?

by Anonymousreply 45October 17, 2020 8:47 PM

R41 - It's not chess when you don't play by the rules. They don't care for laws or rules that they don't like - or decorum or respect.

I think that's a stupid comment - it makes it sound like the Dems are just simple and stupid. No - they actually have a moral backbone.

Republicans aren't playing a better game - they expect Dems to play by the rules and they have contempt for and do not play by the rules.

There's no equivalency.

by Anonymousreply 46October 17, 2020 11:52 PM

If the Dems are able they will have to propose a constitutional amendment on standards of conduct in public office, the the future. Lack of compliance with the standards to be referred to the federal courts for adjudication as a legal, not as a political, issue.

by Anonymousreply 47October 18, 2020 12:28 AM

R47 - and the Republican-packed appeals courts and Supreme Court will overturn it on some bullshit freedom basis.

by Anonymousreply 48October 18, 2020 4:54 PM

R43 " My impression was that tptb didn't want Dean". Something was definitely going on with the media coverage. Dean was enthusiastic but within the context he wasn't acting crazy or anything but the press seemed determined to make him look nuts. The new York times went after his wife as well, printing some 1950s drivel (by Maureen Dowd naturally) complaining about her causal dress and lack of makeup, as well as the fact that she continued to work while Dean was running.

by Anonymousreply 49October 18, 2020 5:13 PM

If you're gonna reach for a star reach for the lowest one you can.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 50October 18, 2020 5:24 PM

R8 Ruthie always thought she was the smartest woman in the world and would never stop using her superior brain.

In a 2018 interview with Nina Totenberg at the Museum of the City of NY, Ruth says that the Supreme Court is the most collegial place in town. She was full of shit!

by Anonymousreply 51October 18, 2020 5:31 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!