Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Do you think the US may one day become a fascist country along the lines of Nazi Germany?

We see a significant portion of the population is fascist. There is a major germanic heritage in the country. Democracy is under attack. The Republican Party blatantly does not stand for American democratic values any more. Oligarchy is on the rise. Populism too.

I think it could happen. If not now, in the future.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 71October 18, 2020 1:28 AM

[quote] Do you think the US may one day become a fascist country along the lines of Nazi Germany?

No. And neither do you.

by Anonymousreply 1October 17, 2020 3:09 PM

Yes. Definitely. If we don’t get a handle on what we’re experiencing presently, we’re on our way there.

Anyone who doesn’t admit or recognize this is either ignorant of history, psychology, and social studies, or is a liar.

by Anonymousreply 2October 17, 2020 3:24 PM

r1 it is not far off. Look at Trump and his supporters. Faithfully blind. Even moderate Republicans won't break ranks. The man committed crimes and was impeached but the Senate absolved him because he was a republican. They refused to hear evidence. The Republicans want complete control. You can't tell me Trump walking out on the balcony pulling off his mask was not a Hitler moment.

by Anonymousreply 3October 17, 2020 3:24 PM

Yes, easily.

by Anonymousreply 4October 17, 2020 3:25 PM

Yes, in a different sense. The deplorable minority want a theocratic fascist government. With laws that bind minorities and “non/Christians” and give broad, unbound rights to the “Christians”.

Ironic. Pretty much why America was established; to escape religious persecution.

by Anonymousreply 5October 17, 2020 3:26 PM

[quote]Pretty much why America was established; to escape religious persecution.

That's not strictly true. The Puritans were told to take a hike from England because they were trying to persecute others.

by Anonymousreply 6October 17, 2020 3:29 PM

This is why it’s wrong to tell people that you shouldn’t compared things or people to Nazi Germany. It will allow it happen again. America is heading down that road. America has committed enough atrocities but for people to be this brainwashed in the 21st century is fucking frightening.

by Anonymousreply 7October 17, 2020 3:33 PM

Until you get rid of the cult of celebrity, there will be an ever present danger of extremism, right or left.

The assholes who get most of their information from the teevee saw game show host Donald Trump and fell for his act that he's some reputable, high level businessman. After all, it it's on the teevee, it has to be true. And if he's on the teevee, he must be some sort of god with supernatural powers.

by Anonymousreply 8October 17, 2020 3:40 PM

Americans are too fat for fascism

by Anonymousreply 9October 17, 2020 3:49 PM

Disturbing footage of Whitmer kidnapping suspects’ training drills with assault rifles released by Feds

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10October 17, 2020 4:36 PM

IT ALREADY IS.

THE REPUBLICAN PARTY HAS BEEN A FASCIST PARTY SINCE SEPT. 11, 2001.

by Anonymousreply 11October 17, 2020 4:44 PM

Truth, r11. They’ve usurped the law to create a false christa it’s much line the Taliban. The evangelicals won’t know it until us smacks them up side the head.

by Anonymousreply 12October 17, 2020 5:04 PM

Russia already has, why not the US? Same steps from the beginning from the Russian textbook of revolution will gradually transform America into a fascist country soon. SAD!!!

by Anonymousreply 13October 17, 2020 5:46 PM

Russia has no culture of democracy, R13.

by Anonymousreply 14October 17, 2020 5:47 PM

I’m by no means a supporter of Trump, nor am I a Republican, but it seems like the progressive left are the book burners these days. Cancel culture and doxing is the sjw go to when they don’t get their way. Conservatives have always been ridiculous, but now the left is catching up with them.

by Anonymousreply 15October 17, 2020 5:57 PM

Oh please, R15. The FBI and CIA have both been clear that far right groups are a major terror threat, not the left. And believe me, those agencies are not stocked with liberals and lefties, so if the Left was the real threat, they'd be the first to say so.

Frankly cancel culture is just another form of social media hyperventilating and doesn't involve stockpiling guns and other weapons or plots to suppress voting or take over governments.

Get a grip.

by Anonymousreply 16October 17, 2020 6:05 PM

There have been a series of scary articles on the NY Times (and elsewhere I suspect) about how neo-Nazis and other far right groups have infiltrated law enforcement and even the military in Germany.

People there didn't take the far right seriously for too long and now they've got a real problem.

Don't think for a second that there aren't white supremacists embedded in our law enforcement agencies and the military too. We need to flush them out. .

by Anonymousreply 17October 17, 2020 6:10 PM

Good God, you're all delusional. Almost none of Trump supporters are violent or malicious. Consider how venal the leftist cabal looks at this point. Christ leave Trump out of it and you got nothing. A lot of people voting T, don't even like him that much. They just want this globalist grifter mechanism shut down. Now go ahead and tell me how dumb and poor I am and how T hates his supporters, etc. etc....

by Anonymousreply 18October 17, 2020 6:20 PM

R11, R12- true. Also, allowing people to be infected this virus without any type of mitigation and a set callousness toward their death is almost as bad a as leading Jews, gays, gypsies and the disabled to their death as well.

It’s actually almost the same thing, as was slavery and the detainment of the Japanese. So yes bit already is, yet I believe it is wants more.

I think many of us will come to the conclusion that we will have to leave the United States if we want to remain safe, one day. Currently, there are people whom I know of back in Los Angeles, that are making plans to leave the United States if Trump wins another term. Wealthy people who can afford to GTFO and don’t subscribe to this BS, don’t want to raise their kids in an environment where others do, and would prefer to live elsewhere until he gets out of office.

by Anonymousreply 19October 17, 2020 6:23 PM

R16 both sides have their share of whackadoodles. It’s not the alt right rioting or attacking law enforcement. This is part of the problem. Finger pointing. The realty is exterminates exist on both sides and blaming one over the other won’t help solve the problem.

by Anonymousreply 20October 17, 2020 6:25 PM

*reality

by Anonymousreply 21October 17, 2020 6:26 PM

R18, but the globalist mechanisms will never be shut down and we both know this. So how is voting for Trump going to help or even shut it down?

You may not be dumb or poor, and being either isn’t a sin. However, it’s definitely a sin to allow the poor and/or less intelligent amongst us, to believe that globalization is something that can be reversed, and to use racism as a cornerstone as to why it’s a problem, when those who tell us it’s a problem, are the ones who benefit from it, the most!

by Anonymousreply 22October 17, 2020 6:29 PM

No, because the 2016 election scared the sh#$ out of the country-especially those liberals and democrats who had gotten lazy and not bothered to vote. Frankly, me. I didn’t vote in 2016 and now I’m scared straight. My prediction is that voter turnout will be high for at least the next few decades and the racists and fascists will return to their basements.

by Anonymousreply 23October 17, 2020 6:44 PM

It’s definitely a concern, OP, but Germanic ethnicity is hardly a red flag— it’s just incidentally the largest white ethnic group in the U.S. The white trash in those white supremacist groups are of any European lineage. Yes, I am very defensive, coming from a heavily Germanic progressive family.

by Anonymousreply 24October 17, 2020 6:49 PM

R24, most American Nazis today are not of German descent, so while I understand your point, that’s actually not necessary for fascism or totalitarianism.

by Anonymousreply 25October 17, 2020 6:57 PM

In 1932 elections, the NSDAP got more than 38% of the total electorate. That's also Trump's "floor."

It could happen here.

by Anonymousreply 26October 17, 2020 7:08 PM

This has nothing to do with being of German heritage you racist OP. Fascism happens to the best, most civilized societies if they don’t watch it. If England had lost WWI they would have blamed the Jews.

by Anonymousreply 27October 17, 2020 7:26 PM

It already is. Facebook and Twitter are trying to get Biden over the finish line.

by Anonymousreply 28October 17, 2020 7:28 PM

[quote]Almost none of Trump supporters are violent or malicious.

Dear, R18

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 29October 17, 2020 7:53 PM

r22 Point well taken.

by Anonymousreply 30October 17, 2020 7:54 PM

R30, we should just go dancing, and make this all bearable while we still can.

by Anonymousreply 31October 17, 2020 8:04 PM

I don't think Trump is a fascist. Like Obama said he doesn't really have an ideology and just goes with his whims.

And no we won't became a Nazi country. Half of it is Blue states.

by Anonymousreply 32October 17, 2020 8:09 PM

Trump is gleefully bashing down democratic norms and the GOP and his follows are happily supporting him.

Even Nazi Germany took a while to build up to what it became.

by Anonymousreply 33October 17, 2020 8:11 PM

It’s just about a people feeling threatened and blaming a suspicious minority.

Here white people (especially evangelicals) feel threatened economically but Trump helps them put the blame on minorities, Muslims, undocumented, gays, etc.

White people who aren’t in any of those groups may just turn a blind eye because it isn’t affecting them directly.

That’s exactly what happened in Germany

by Anonymousreply 34October 17, 2020 8:13 PM

[Quote] It already is. Facebook and Twitter are trying to get Biden over the finish line.

By blocking Russian interference to help Trump

by Anonymousreply 35October 17, 2020 8:14 PM

[Quote] Cancel culture and doxing is the sjw go to when they don’t get their way.

Things not going their way means police can continue kill minorities with impunity.

by Anonymousreply 36October 17, 2020 8:16 PM

I have a Jewish friend who actually thinks we shouldn’t compare Trump to Hitler because Hitler killed 4 million Jews.

I had to point out to him that there was a time Hitler had not yet killed millions of Jews. Wouldn’t it have been better to have stopped him back then?

by Anonymousreply 37October 17, 2020 8:18 PM

Trump is specifically trying to follow a fascism playbook. and his follower are just fine with that.

It can happen here. And from the point of view of those kids in cages, it’s already happened

by Anonymousreply 38October 17, 2020 8:19 PM

Look, those kids in cages are pictures from Obama's time, and they are humane holding areas that are necessary for children when the parents are working through they're hearings etc. Also it may make you feel good to complain, but they chose to enter as illegal immigrants knowing full well what they were doing in almost all cases.

by Anonymousreply 39October 17, 2020 8:32 PM

Hey r36, That's bullshit. (and, you know it!!!)

by Anonymousreply 40October 17, 2020 8:33 PM

No, the Hispanic backlash alone would plunge the country into a nightmare of non-mowed lawns, scruffy palm trees, no McDonald's, no clean restrooms, hotel rooms, no restaurant food, no stocked supermarkets.

by Anonymousreply 41October 17, 2020 8:37 PM

It won’t happen in the same way as Germany. If we had more of a monoculture like those Europeans countries did at the time, then maybe. But we are more likely to see a bloody cataclysmic civil war before a Nazi-like regime with true consolidated power.

How’s that for a more hopeful scenario?!

by Anonymousreply 42October 17, 2020 8:39 PM

Not even close, delusional OP. It has always been an authoritarian semi dictatorship though. The way America normalizes punishment for civilians is frightening as is the brainwashing of being the freeist nation in the world.

by Anonymousreply 43October 17, 2020 8:46 PM

Agree with R 42. Black people would revolt with the Hispanics first against the MAGA forces. White "moderate" republicans and centrist Democrats would stand by and watch till it caused their trip to Costco to be delayed or interrupted. Blue states would start forming their own alliances. People would then flow from the red to the blue to escape or join forces with each.

by Anonymousreply 44October 17, 2020 8:48 PM

It already is

by Anonymousreply 45October 17, 2020 8:48 PM

Yeah if you elect Biden/Harris this will be a Fascist country disguised in Cancel Culture Liberalism

by Anonymousreply 46October 17, 2020 8:55 PM

[Quote] Look, those kids in cages are pictures from Obama's time,

No they weren’t. Obama didn’t separate kids from their parents except in rare circumstances of suspected trafficking.

We now know the ripping of kids away from their parents was an actual policy dreamt up by the Trump White House, particularly Sessions

by Anonymousreply 47October 17, 2020 8:59 PM

[Quote] Yeah if you elect Biden/Harris this will be a Fascist country disguised in Cancel Culture Liberalism

Yes, supporting everyone having healthcare and housing is nothing short of fascism....

by Anonymousreply 48October 17, 2020 9:00 PM

The Oligarchy will sit back and watch as the middle and lower classes fight amongst each other for crumbs

by Anonymousreply 49October 17, 2020 9:01 PM

I really fear what will happen once the entire US economy tanks. That’s when the country is really going to start shedding blood.

by Anonymousreply 50October 17, 2020 9:09 PM

R8 Absolutely right. Celebrity worship seems to be even more prevalent in 2020. I want to have hope but I just see some things as too big to fail at this point. Children have iphones installed into their hands by the time they are tweens. That can not be doing much for the development of individual critical thought.

by Anonymousreply 51October 17, 2020 9:10 PM

[quote] We now know the ripping of kids away from their parents was an actual policy dreamt up by the Trump White House, particularly Sessions

So that’s routine now?

by Anonymousreply 52October 17, 2020 9:11 PM

Compare Muslim assimilation in the US compared to Europe. The US is clearly doing something right.

by Anonymousreply 53October 17, 2020 9:16 PM

One party sees culture and tradition as unifying values that bring people of all races together. Another group doesn't see individual differences, or even cultural and ethnic differences among Europeans, South Americans, and Middle Easterners. Instead they see just white, brown, and black and and believe greater representation is casting brown and black people as others. It's the radical left that scares me more as they emphasize genetic difference. Conservatives can be similarly close minded but at least they welcome minorities who think exactly like them.

by Anonymousreply 54October 17, 2020 9:23 PM

No, I do think this is the peak of the craziness. Biden has about a 90% chance of winning the election right now. It will take at least 8-16 years to reverse and move past all the shit Trump has done and we have a lot to fix in our country. Americans who are more centrist, progressive and even some conservatives are embarassed of what 2016 has given us. I think it has caused these people to have a "never again" attitude. But the hardcore Trump supporters? Forget it. They wil go the way of the dodo bird (eventually). States like Arizona, Texas, Georgia and Florida are going blue/purple and there is nothing they can do...and I can't wait to see their faces when it happens!

by Anonymousreply 55October 17, 2020 9:26 PM

OP, I notice a pattern with the threads you create. What is the fascination with turning the US into a Nazi state?

by Anonymousreply 56October 17, 2020 9:27 PM

R34, isn’t that EXACTLY what happened in Germany?

Listen guys, some of us need do to deep dives into FACTUAL history.

Adolph Hitler was a HUGE conspiracy theorist and promoted conspiracies.

Please learn your history so that you can see why this is very similar to what happened in Germany.

History repeats itself when people refuse to learn about the factual past.

by Anonymousreply 57October 17, 2020 9:28 PM

What happened in Germany is that there was an extremist leader who spread lots of propaganda (basically, make Germany great again) and people either got sucked into the idea of it without understanding what was really going on, or paid no attention and just let things happen. People need to pay attention.

by Anonymousreply 58October 17, 2020 9:29 PM

I think America was a semi-fascist state for much of the twentieth century. But I think it is less so now. Could it become one now? Yes, but you have to remember the American right today has an incompetence on a level not seen in Japan, Germany and Italy in olden times.

by Anonymousreply 59October 17, 2020 9:32 PM

R58, we are paying attention. The problem we have here in America, is that just like the the Germans, many here are paying attention to what they want to pay attention to in order to suit their personal biases and racism.

by Anonymousreply 60October 17, 2020 9:34 PM

R60 more people need to pay attention to what's *actually* going on, not just the propaganda (lies) that fits their personal narrative. I think we might be saying the same thing.

by Anonymousreply 61October 17, 2020 9:39 PM

[quote] It's the radical left that scares me more as they emphasize genetic difference. Conservatives can be similarly close minded but at least they welcome minorities who think exactly like them.

Care to proffer any more of your right wing verbal diarrhea? I guess you're particularly perky today: JFK Jr is supposed to be back from dead, join your Orange Führer and lead you to the Great Awakening! (Or, maybe, just serve you some Kool Aid...)

by Anonymousreply 62October 17, 2020 9:44 PM

What do I know, I didn't think Trump stood a snowballs chance in hell of being elected President of the US? After that anything is possible.

by Anonymousreply 63October 17, 2020 9:48 PM

[Quote] What is the fascination with turning the US into a Nazi state?

Interesting question R56. No, I don't wish to TURN the US into a Nazi state.

But I find it fascinating that we may be witnessing the death of democracy, the system we grew up in, during our lifetime. It's like watching the death of Ancient Greece in real time.

And we will not have a political system that will allow us the freedom to examine how and why it happened.

by Anonymousreply 64October 17, 2020 10:00 PM

And such a bald-faced lie. How many conservatives have stood up for Aaron Schock? None. How many treated Herman Cain like royalty? None. Look how they treated Colin Powell. Look how they treated Anne Armstrong and Shirley Temple Black. They do not "accept" minorities who think like them.

by Anonymousreply 65October 17, 2020 10:03 PM

[quote]I think America was a semi-fascist state for much of the twentieth century.

When I first read what you'd written, I thought - don't be ridiculous and then I thought I suppose you're right in a way.

by Anonymousreply 66October 17, 2020 10:10 PM

No. I think a right-winger smarter than Trump could get into office and create severe issues, but the country is too large and decentralized to make something like Nazi Germany work. I think the Union would fracture since the states are all set up to be capable of self-governing.

I mean, I don't think Nazism is ever going to go over in multiethnic, predominantly Asian Hawai'i. The economic power of the country is primarily centered in the more heavily populated Blue states.

I think if Biden gets in, there do need to be some serious checks put in place to prevent another Trump--expand the federal courts to rebalance the court packing done by Mitch McConnell. (It's not just the Supreme Court). Much stronger protection of voting rights and a sustained effort of rendering the electoral college powerless--i.e. such as having enough states sign on to the compact to hand over their electoral votes to the winner of the popular vote.

by Anonymousreply 67October 17, 2020 10:10 PM

One day?? How about right now?

by Anonymousreply 68October 17, 2020 10:16 PM

It's more than halfway there and all of it done under the guise of Christian "freedom".

by Anonymousreply 69October 17, 2020 10:38 PM

I really dont care, do you? Oh them trumps, what will they say next, except perhaps. "I heart facism".

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 70October 17, 2020 11:22 PM

R67 and I hope it becomes a requirement that presidential candidates must disclose their tax returns so we don’t get another president who is under financial pressure from a foreign government.

by Anonymousreply 71October 18, 2020 1:28 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!