Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Home chef gays: how do I find CRISPY tomatoes?

I got takeout from an Italian place tonight and had the most wonderful caprese salad. The tomato slices were large (heirloom tomato size) and were exceptionally crispy. The fruit was fully ripe with a wonderful, bright flavor and it had a traditional red color. It reminded me of the crispiness you find in fried green tomatoes. These were, of course, not cooked or seasoned, they were just fresh sliced and served with olive oil and a balsamic drizzle in addition to the mozzarella and basil.

Anyway, YES, I know how to Google, but when I search for crispy tomatoes, I just come up with a bunch of recipes that PREPARE tomatoes in crispy fashions. I'm trying to figure out if there's a certain variety of tomato I could buy at a grocery store that would naturally be so crispy while being fully ripe.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1310/16/2020

Roma tomatoes.

by Anonymousreply 110/16/2020

Why not call the restaurant and ask where they got their tomatoes?

by Anonymousreply 210/16/2020

OP, I hate to break this to you, but the best way is to grow them yourself.

by Anonymousreply 310/16/2020

R1 - That's just a random image from Google. These definitely were not Roma tomatoes. This is kind of a weird description, but the crispiness/texture reminds me of what an under-ripe plump is like. Just in terms of the texture/mouth feel. The flavor was of a fresh, ripened tomato. Not quite as crisp as an apple.

R2 - I did, but they didn't know. I shot an email to the owners, from their website, but who knows if I'll hear back.

by Anonymousreply 410/16/2020

*under-ripe PLUM that should be read. Obviously.

by Anonymousreply 510/16/2020

Oh lord, another thread on caprese salad. I think we only discuss lasagna more.

by Anonymousreply 610/16/2020

I'm not sure you know what the word "crispy" means.

by Anonymousreply 710/16/2020

He means "crisp"

by Anonymousreply 810/16/2020

OP, you just need to ripen them in sunlight.

by Anonymousreply 910/16/2020

When tomatoes are refrigerated they get mealy in texture and lose flavor. Those tomatoes weren’t taken below 40 degrees, which most grocery store tomatoes have. Find a good grocer that knows how to handle their produce.

by Anonymousreply 1010/16/2020

Yes, OP means "crisp," not "crispy."

I'm guessing it's a tomato that has a lot of flesh and very few seeds, like a Cherokee tomato.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1110/16/2020

My grocery store has several varieties of heirloom tomatoes, which are never chilled and have that tomato flavor that I remember from my childhood.

I read an interesting article in a science journal that said tomatoes may be the most complex flavor (compound-wise) of any food. May of those compounds are quite fragile, and are lost with age, refrigeration, or bred out of the plants in the effort to produce fruit with a longer shelf life.

by Anonymousreply 1210/16/2020

OP are you just talking about slightly unripe tomatoes or what?

by Anonymousreply 1310/16/2020
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Don't you just LOVE clicking on these things on every single site you visit? I know we do! You can thank the EU parliament for making everyone in the world click on these pointless things while changing absolutely nothing. If you are interested you can take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT and we'll set a dreaded cookie to make it go away. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!