Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Oscar revote 2006

One of the most competitive races in many years. Mirren ran away with the award, majestic as The Queen.

However, years later there is something not so impressing. Who would you have gone for?

by Anonymousreply 12October 17, 2020 2:17 PM

The right person won. The only other performance I would have given it to was Meryl in Prada, although I felt she was supporting

by Anonymousreply 1October 16, 2020 7:33 PM

Either Cruz or Dench. They awarded cuntface Mirren for a role she could do in her sleep. The Queen was pure Miramax/Weinstein oscar bait.

by Anonymousreply 2October 16, 2020 7:34 PM

Weak year.

by Anonymousreply 3October 16, 2020 7:35 PM

Meryl Street is one of my favorite actresses!

by Anonymousreply 4October 16, 2020 7:40 PM

"One of the most competitive races in many years"

OP - are you kidding? Helen Mirren won every single award up to the Oscars, including the Black Film Critics' Award! The press tried to make it a race between Mirren and Streep, but it was as close to a sure thing as ever was in Oscar history.

by Anonymousreply 5October 16, 2020 7:42 PM

I liked her sister Della better, r5.

by Anonymousreply 6October 16, 2020 7:43 PM

^r4

by Anonymousreply 7October 16, 2020 7:43 PM

I hated The Queen: Mirren looked NOTHING like QEII and her performance seemed like a SNL impersonation. Streep was fun (comedy is the only genre where her hamminess isn't an issue) but her role seemed more like a supporting one. Winslet and Cruz were both good but there were supporting actors in those two movies who gave even better performances than they did.

I guess that makes Judi Dench the rightful winner of the 2006 Oscar. She totally made that movie (it would have been a hot mess with someone else in that role) and it was refreshing to see her finally drop her Grande British Dame act and play a lower middle class psycho lezzie teacher.

by Anonymousreply 8October 16, 2020 7:52 PM

How could it be a competitive year when I didn't even have one feature film released?!?!

by Anonymousreply 9October 16, 2020 7:52 PM

I fucking love Barbara Covett!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10October 16, 2020 8:20 PM

Judi deserved the Oscar

by Anonymousreply 11October 17, 2020 1:51 PM

Streep was supporting. She would have won.

by Anonymousreply 12October 17, 2020 2:17 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!