Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Trump's manufacturing jobs promises ring hollow in midwest

‘Workers are feeling abandoned and betrayed after promises on the campaign trail to boost factory jobs fell woefully short.’

“Shannon Mulcahy of Whitestown, Indiana, voted for Trump in the last election. This time his rival Joe Biden will get her vote. For 18 years she worked at the Rexnord steel bearings plant in Indianapolis before it shut down in 2017, moving operations to Mexico. Mulcahy was one of 300 workers who lost their jobs.

Trump publicly criticized the plant’s closure in 2016 and 2017, blaming the decision on the Obama administration and threatening to increase taxes on products made by companies like Rexnord in retaliation for moving jobs abroad. But in 2018 the company cited $55m in savings from US tax reform in the wake of Trump’s tax cuts in December 2017.”

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7October 16, 2020 11:36 PM

Trump publicly criticized the plant’s closure in 2016 and 2017, blaming the decision on the Obama administration and threatening to increase taxes on products made by companies like Rexnord in retaliation for moving jobs abroad. But in 2018 the company cited $55m in savings from US tax reform in the wake of Trump’s tax cuts in December 2017.

by Anonymousreply 1October 16, 2020 7:14 PM

Mulcahy said she feels betrayed by the jobs promises Trump made throughout his 2016 election campaign. Since losing her job, Mulcahy has struggled with depression while trying to find other work. She’s managed to find a new job, though it pays significantly lower than what she was making at the plant.

The latest major Trump resignations and firings Read more

“There are a lot of plant closings he could have stopped. He talked the talk everyone wanted to hear about saving jobs. I don’t see him saving any jobs,” said Mulcahy. “I think it’s all fake. It’s all a campaign thing. He’s telling people what they want to hear.”

by Anonymousreply 2October 16, 2020 7:15 PM

In the meantime, nearly 1,800 US factories disappeared between 2016 and 2018, including several high-profile plants throughout midwestern swing states that were key to Trump’s election win.

by Anonymousreply 3October 16, 2020 7:16 PM

I guess Trump felt that by the time he had to run again, he could just spin out the same old lies.

People do tend to know whether they have a job or not. Fool me once . . .

by Anonymousreply 4October 16, 2020 7:18 PM

I also brought back coal!

by Anonymousreply 5October 16, 2020 7:30 PM

[quote] R4: People do tend to know whether they have a job or not.

Frankly and sadly, I think you give some people too much credit.

by Anonymousreply 6October 16, 2020 7:42 PM

I’m glad that Deplorables are able to articulate their frustrations.

‘It’s fake’

by Anonymousreply 7October 16, 2020 11:36 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!