Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Pennsylvania has rejected 372,000 mail ballot applications, bewildering voters and straining elections staff

The administrative nightmare highlights the difficulty of ramping up vote-by-mail on the fly without enough voter education.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 28October 19, 2020 12:54 PM

Precisely. There should have been a huge voter education campaign in the summer. Why didn’t they do that?

by Anonymousreply 1October 16, 2020 3:21 PM

There’s no evidence of any widespread problem with mail-in voting, so if an isolated incident affecting several hundred ballots in a swing state occurs, it doesn’t matter.

by Anonymousreply 2October 16, 2020 3:23 PM

hundred thousand

by Anonymousreply 3October 16, 2020 3:23 PM

What happens to these votes?

by Anonymousreply 4October 16, 2020 3:28 PM

R2 what you’re saying has no proof and is wishful thinking. Unfortunately there are problems. Here in ca, myself along w many people I know, have received multiple ballots in the mail for people that don’t even live at the addresses anymore, for starters. I have a friend in Ohio where her and all her family’s mail-in ballots were printed incorrectly. There are issues all over with this.

by Anonymousreply 5October 16, 2020 3:31 PM

This is why I did voting in person.

by Anonymousreply 6October 16, 2020 3:37 PM

I can’t even trust the USPS not to lose my fucking rent check!

by Anonymousreply 7October 16, 2020 3:47 PM

R2, educate yourself

by Anonymousreply 8October 16, 2020 3:51 PM

These were REQUESTS, not ballots, which I think some people are confused by, and they WERE duplicate requests.

These people had requested a ballot during the primaries AND had requested one later on via application, too. The application has been denied, but the request made on their primary ballot should go through, meaning they will get a ballot eventually.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9October 16, 2020 3:58 PM

And how many will send more than one back and get tossed?

by Anonymousreply 10October 17, 2020 1:47 PM

Americans couldn’t even handle hanging chads. When Trump wins we’ll all be saying we shouldn’t have pushed for mail in ballots.

by Anonymousreply 11October 17, 2020 1:48 PM

It’s only Pennsylvania.

by Anonymousreply 12October 17, 2020 7:22 PM

American people are so obese and so stupid beyond belief. They can fuck up simple voting. Like in 2016, half of them went insane and fucked up the whole world. We are doomed.

by Anonymousreply 13October 17, 2020 7:27 PM

Addendum: but if it's about eating or suing, they will be so good at it.

by Anonymousreply 14October 17, 2020 7:30 PM

I live in Florida and I just got a recorded phone call from a Republican operative telling me that I needed to vote in person because "mail in ballots are widely known to be subject to tampering and fraud." So I'm guessing their angle is that Republicans don't care about the virus and are more likely to vote in person, and they are going to do all kinds of shit to mess around with the mail in ballots that will largely be done by Democrats.

I was planning on voting in person. I feel sorry for all the senior citizens who will be sick and dying two weeks after the election.

by Anonymousreply 15October 17, 2020 8:19 PM

Does PA have in person early voting? It seems to lag in early voting

by Anonymousreply 16October 17, 2020 9:31 PM

Does PA have in person early voting? It seems to lag in early voting

by Anonymousreply 17October 17, 2020 9:31 PM

My parents are Democrats in a mostly Republican county in PA and they still have not received their ballots. They've been told there's a delay because the board of elections "got a late start this year." Yeah right. Sounds like voter suppression to me. I see you, Butler county, PA, you fascist cheaters! You will not get away with this.

by Anonymousreply 18October 19, 2020 1:28 AM

R10: they won’t be getting more than one ballot.

by Anonymousreply 19October 19, 2020 1:32 AM

THESE WEREN'T BALLOTS as others have pointed out. These were duplicate APPLICATIONS for ballots that were tossed. This is actually the system working.

Looks like everyone who asked for one will get one ballot. This situation is all just miscommunication and lack of how-to info, not fraud of any sort.

And I hope everyone here knows you can usually check online to see your mail-in ballot was accepted and when - or if there was a problem with it.

by Anonymousreply 20October 19, 2020 7:03 AM

Wouldn't be surprised if they were all votes for Biden.

by Anonymousreply 21October 19, 2020 7:09 AM

How hard can voting by mail be? Vote, stick it in the secret sleeve, and sign it.

by Anonymousreply 22October 19, 2020 7:26 AM

The problem is there are so many people who have never previously voted by mail before doing so now

by Anonymousreply 23October 19, 2020 11:36 AM

Ayayay, everyone read r20, who explains it perfectly. If you voted in the primary by mail, you had the opportunity to check a box to automatically receive a mail in ballot in November. Some people checked the box and THEN also applied on line for a mail in ballo. This is the source of the confusion. The system worked! These people will get one mail in ballot.

by Anonymousreply 24October 19, 2020 12:36 PM

If Pennsylvania needs plastic trays to hold ballots for counting they need buy their own damn plastic trays instead of stealing them from USPS.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 25October 19, 2020 12:41 PM

[quote] myself along w many people I know,

*eyeroll*

What’s wrong with the word ‘me’?

by Anonymousreply 26October 19, 2020 12:53 PM

We're going to see this crap over the next few weeks.

by Anonymousreply 27October 19, 2020 12:53 PM

[quote] Americans couldn’t even handle hanging chads.

Oh, honey, speak for yourself.

by Anonymousreply 28October 19, 2020 12:54 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!