Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Japan is dumping radioactive water into the sea

100,000,000 tons of water, to start. The new PM might be even more sociopathic.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 44October 17, 2020 5:05 PM

Yes, nuclear energy is so clean and nothing could go wrong.

by Anonymousreply 1October 16, 2020 2:12 PM

Video from Reuters at link.

I hope the world boycotts any pathetic attempt at a 2021 Olympics over there.

This is going to reach the west coast.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2October 16, 2020 2:12 PM

What the fucking christ? WHy??????

by Anonymousreply 3October 16, 2020 2:13 PM

I'd say boycott Japanese products, but I'm not sure what standalone products (cf. components) they make anymore.

by Anonymousreply 4October 16, 2020 2:13 PM

Maybe a Biden administration will put some pressure on them to reverse course.

by Anonymousreply 5October 16, 2020 2:14 PM

This could have some really bad effects on sea life.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6October 16, 2020 2:15 PM

Well the damage is already done. The humans in power on this planet and the captains of industry have fucked us. Biden can put all the pressure he wants on Japan to "reverse course." That radioactive water is in the ocean now, fucking everything up. Along with the and tons tons of microplastic that sea life is ingesting.

I'm so MAD that people in charge can make these horrific unilateral decisions that affect the entire planet and all life on the planet. It's not fair, it sucks, it's killing people, it's killing animals, and I'm furious!!! You can boycott, you can whatever. This damage has already been done.

I'm so glad I moved to the East Coast. That stuff is going to travel all the way to California.

by Anonymousreply 7October 16, 2020 2:20 PM

Whaling + dumping 100 million tons of radioactive water into the sea + The Cove (dolphins)

They really hate the sea, which is weird for an island nation.

by Anonymousreply 8October 16, 2020 2:23 PM

I thought they did that since Fukushima? The mass death of sea life like starfishes is well documented. That's why I no longer eat anything captured in the sea.

Nature will evolve. Humanity, to some extent, will as well. But yeah, life as we know it is on its way out.

by Anonymousreply 9October 16, 2020 2:24 PM

Take iodine

by Anonymousreply 10October 16, 2020 2:24 PM

Keep in mind that Japan is incredibly pro-Western and pro-American. They’re not China. Why they’re doing this is anyone’s guess.

by Anonymousreply 11October 16, 2020 2:26 PM

R11, they're doing it so they don't have to store it on site anymore, and so they can decommission the site - according to the article.

They want a final "resolution" to the whole thing. So they're dumping the consequences of their stupidity (look it up - yes, it's their fault, not the tsunami's) into the ocean, to burden the rest of the planet.

by Anonymousreply 12October 16, 2020 2:29 PM

R12 How are they allowed to do this? I can't believe it. I guess there is no world governing body. The oceans don't have any oversight. So sad for the sea life.

by Anonymousreply 13October 16, 2020 2:31 PM

Guardian correction - it's 1,000,000 tons - they changed the title.

by Anonymousreply 14October 16, 2020 2:33 PM

I remember widespread belief at the time of the incident that it was so catastrophic that there was literally nothing that could be done to contain or even mitigate the disaster. The best that could be done was to push it down the road for a few years.

by Anonymousreply 15October 16, 2020 2:33 PM

If there is a reason to start a war it would be to save the oceans from Japan trying to cover up its mistakes.

by Anonymousreply 16October 16, 2020 2:35 PM

Fucking assholes. They should have to store that water on site forever. Fucking fuck.

Boycott anything Japan. Anime, Sony, Kao (Biore, Jergens lotion), Shiseido, etc. Whatever they make or own. Toyota (yes, even if assembled elsewhere). Cell phones (like they even make any decent ones).

by Anonymousreply 17October 16, 2020 2:39 PM

We were called extremists and stupid hippies.

They said nuclear energy was clean and harmless.

Capitalism sucks.

by Anonymousreply 18October 16, 2020 2:41 PM

I hate them.

by Anonymousreply 19October 16, 2020 2:41 PM

[quote]If there is a reason to start a war it would be to save the oceans from Japan

Oh, auntie, this is not the Battle of Iwo Jima!!! Stop your warmongering hyperbole at once!!!! Hard diplomacy will do, I believe.

by Anonymousreply 20October 16, 2020 2:42 PM

Union Bank is Mitsubishi.

Don't forget PlayStation (Sony).

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 21October 16, 2020 2:51 PM

this is why I stopped eating raw fish i.e. sushi over 10 years ago...the oceans are so polluted and disgusting...

by Anonymousreply 22October 16, 2020 2:52 PM

This is why they deserved to be nuked for allying with Hitler and the other axis powers deserved to be ethnically cleansed from Europe altogether.

by Anonymousreply 23October 16, 2020 2:53 PM

"We'll build a wall in the middle of the Pacific to prevent it from reaching California; just like Mexicans!!"

by Anonymousreply 24October 16, 2020 2:57 PM

[quote] This is why they deserved to be nuked for allying with Hitler and the other axis powers deserved to be ethnically cleansed from Europe altogether.

Simmer down, Adolf.

by Anonymousreply 25October 16, 2020 3:26 PM

I can't believe they didn't learn their lesson from South Korea! Seoul was almost destroyed in the mid-'00s after the US Army dumped toxic chemicals into the Han River. I recommend Bong Joon-ho's eye-opening documentary, [italic]The Host[/italic], to anyone who's interested in learning about this near-disaster.

by Anonymousreply 26October 16, 2020 9:50 PM

Lol yes boycott japan - go US! Coal is so much healthier I mean hello look how clean our air is yes!

by Anonymousreply 27October 16, 2020 9:54 PM

Honestly if they release the water and the fishing industry shutters due to the PR damage to the area (the article doesn’t specify any health implications) it would probably do wonders for the natural environment. See ecological success at Chernobyl site for similar effect. This is probably the best thing that could happen to the ocean environment of the area. But lol yes continue to not eat sushi for some reason DL.

by Anonymousreply 28October 16, 2020 9:58 PM

R28, that’s some amazing PR-level arguing. Wow. You should get paid.

by Anonymousreply 29October 16, 2020 11:04 PM

R29 thank u appreciate the nice remarks. Obvious that dumping of radioactive waste into the oceans is not a good thing - but until a fusion system is developed or countries whole-heartedly embrace more ecological methods of generating electricity, nuclear power is the safest and cleanest method available to us. There’s also been such disinformation about the dangers of nuclear power stations. Those urban legends from Chernobyl hugely exaggerating the long term health implications. Not to say it doesn’t have its dangers. But incomparable with the damage being done to our environment by the burning / mining of coal / gas.

by Anonymousreply 30October 16, 2020 11:27 PM

They should just boil it until it all evaporates. Duh 🤷‍♂️

by Anonymousreply 31October 16, 2020 11:32 PM

Ok, I didn’t read anything about [italic] how [/italic] radioactive the water is. There is a small amount of radioactivity present around us, all, the time. Some years ago, didn’t they discovered that radioactive radon is release by granite foundations? IIRC, bananas emit radioactive particles.

They did say that it will take decades to release all the water. That tells me that they will wait to see if the dirty water gets diluted enough so as to be harmless.

And what is the alternative? Storage tanks age, they fail over time. They are not a permanent solution.

I used to work in a nuclear submarine shipyard. My group did not work with radioactive substances. But once a year, they would send a guy around with a Geiger counter to make sure nobody picked up something radioactive, and brought into the office. One year, the Geiger counter went wild. A quick examination found that it was the illuminated paint applied to the hands of a co-worker’s his watch, so that the hands would glow in the dark. He was advised to dispose of the watch. But the watch had no known feet on that guy.

by Anonymousreply 32October 16, 2020 11:46 PM

[quote] But the watch had no known feet on that guy.

I meant: “But the watch had no know [bold] affect, [/bold]. on that guy”.

by Anonymousreply 33October 16, 2020 11:51 PM

R28 and R29, you both do an amazing job at staying on script and offering those online fist bumps.

How many internet troll farm minions are typically involved in the roundtable type discussions like this? Are you both more tenured at the farm or is it a rotating opportunity for all?

by Anonymousreply 34October 16, 2020 11:51 PM

R34, I was criticizing R28.

by Anonymousreply 35October 16, 2020 11:56 PM

R34 ya srsly he (or she) was disagreeing w me. But way2go. Why would troll farm trolls be concerned with this? The deep state sushi investors or something? Lol

by Anonymousreply 36October 17, 2020 12:00 AM

After Fukushima, they dumped tons of UNTREATED waste water into the ocean, that's when I stopped buying Japanese agriculture products, as well as the Korean ones (the collateral damage). With this new round of waste dumping, they will firmly occupy my "do not buy list" for the next decade. .

by Anonymousreply 37October 17, 2020 12:02 AM

R37, I think SK products are fine. I get my organic matcha from Jeju. Fukushima is on Honshu’s northeast coast so I figure the vast bulk of the water went further northeast into the northern Pacific, rather than going south to get around Japan and then west to South Korea.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 38October 17, 2020 12:09 AM

Forgot to add: That’s why the radioactivity from Fukushima in detectable on the West Coast.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 39October 17, 2020 12:12 AM

R37 was there any evidence of detectable health implications from consuming Japanese agriculture based on interference from this disposal of waste or are you just going through a drawn out vaguely racist emotional response to information you either didn’t search for or don’t/can’t understand?

by Anonymousreply 40October 17, 2020 4:24 AM

Omg

by Anonymousreply 41October 17, 2020 10:20 AM

R40 Well duh.

by Anonymousreply 42October 17, 2020 10:57 AM

A few years ago my best friends from Japan stopped feeding their children seafood from the Pacific.

by Anonymousreply 43October 17, 2020 11:14 AM

what about green tea? I buy macha green tea ( powder and tea bags) made in Japan.

Reckon that's safe?

by Anonymousreply 44October 17, 2020 5:05 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!