Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

What does Bump mean in a thread? Serious question. Thanks in advance for any non-snarky answers.

Thanks in advance for any non-snarky answers.

by Anonymousreply 62October 18, 2020 10:37 PM

It means the poster just took a bump of some drug, like K or meth, and you should too.

by Anonymousreply 1October 16, 2020 4:31 AM

It simply a way of indicating a poster is bumping a thread to the top of the page.

by Anonymousreply 2October 16, 2020 4:31 AM

To bump a thread means to literally bump it up to the front main page.

Mostly if it’s a quiet thread, it gives it a reply to move it up to the head of the line or queue.

by Anonymousreply 3October 16, 2020 4:31 AM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 4October 16, 2020 4:35 AM

"Bump" means you want to read & be entertained by other posters but can't add anything, yourself, to a discussion.

by Anonymousreply 5October 16, 2020 4:38 AM

"Means to literally bump it up"

No it doesn't. This is a misuse of "literally" and doesn't really answer OP's question.

by Anonymousreply 6October 16, 2020 4:40 AM

It means the walls of his fartbox have been lined with cocaine and bump is the mating call for someone to come over and enjoy the bounty.

by Anonymousreply 7October 16, 2020 4:40 AM

“Bump” means the poster wants more discussion of the topic, but has nothing interesting to say.

by Anonymousreply 8October 16, 2020 4:44 AM

It means we need more peanut butter

by Anonymousreply 9October 16, 2020 4:45 AM

It means the Poster found The Hustle to be too complicated, Rose.

by Anonymousreply 10October 16, 2020 4:49 AM

It means the thread sucks, no on is responding to it an the OP is trying to get it noticed again.

by Anonymousreply 11October 16, 2020 4:49 AM

Good question. It means that the framus intersects with the ramastan approximately at the paternoster.

by Anonymousreply 12October 16, 2020 4:54 AM

Bump

by Anonymousreply 13October 16, 2020 4:56 AM

Bump

by Anonymousreply 14October 16, 2020 5:07 AM

It moves or "bumps" the thread up to the most latest posts.

by Anonymousreply 15October 16, 2020 5:09 AM

But sometimes threads just disappear

by Anonymousreply 16October 16, 2020 5:23 AM

I know, I know...the truth is out there

by Anonymousreply 17October 16, 2020 5:23 AM

Sometimes it means Madonna. Other times Janet. Never Gaga. Unless it's Gaga Gaga, you know.

by Anonymousreply 18October 16, 2020 5:29 AM

OP here. Thanks to all who posted useful answers. Much appreciated. As for the snarky responses, it's a pity that none were funny. Had expected more from Bootsy-Gumdrop, more's the pity.

by Anonymousreply 19October 16, 2020 5:30 AM

Please posts yours dates of birth and names of first dog. Thanks you

by Anonymousreply 20October 16, 2020 5:36 AM

Another thing it does, is it puts the thread in the list the bumper sees, as threads he’s contributed to, so that he won’t miss seeing responses to it.

by Anonymousreply 21October 16, 2020 5:37 AM

^^ Comma Mary

by Anonymousreply 22October 16, 2020 6:04 AM

R21 as opposed to, just clicking the eye, to watch the thread, whenever you want to, which works just as well, as posting in the thread, but I guess, to each, his own.

by Anonymousreply 23October 16, 2020 6:33 AM

It puts the thread on the list or else it gets the hose again.

by Anonymousreply 24October 16, 2020 6:37 AM

R23, my “eye” reset# itself at seemingly random times.

by Anonymousreply 25October 16, 2020 6:41 AM

Booty Bumping involves mixing drugs—usually meth or cocaine—with water and squirting it into one's anus..

Or so I have heard from some individuals familiar with the matter

As I myself would never indulge in such low-class conduct...

I mean, you haven't heard anything about me doing this, have you?

Because it is a shameful, disgusting LIE!

by Anonymousreply 26October 16, 2020 8:21 AM

I bump threads so that they will be in my watched threads.

But some fat, old, hideous trolls bump 2015 threads to fuck up the board. OP should not do that or he will get blocked and banned.

by Anonymousreply 27October 16, 2020 8:43 AM

I've always wondered how stupid you have to be to not be able to figure out what 'bump' means all on your own.

I mean, all you have to do is observe. It's fucking obvious.

by Anonymousreply 28October 16, 2020 8:51 AM

"BUMP" = "BUMP UP MY POST"

It's a recursive definition

by Anonymousreply 29October 16, 2020 8:51 AM

Mostly it's done by the creators of threads desperately trying to keep them active, or trolls.

by Anonymousreply 30October 16, 2020 9:24 AM

It means My turn to rude the White Horse, Rose!

by Anonymousreply 31October 16, 2020 2:57 PM

[quote]I bump threads so that they will be in my watched threads.

You are a selfish asshole. Use the "eye" icon at the top of the thread for this, dickwad.

by Anonymousreply 32October 16, 2020 5:25 PM

The thread is pregnant!

by Anonymousreply 33October 16, 2020 5:41 PM

It’s a cry for disco.🕺🏻🕺🏻🕺🏻

by Anonymousreply 34October 16, 2020 5:48 PM

As long as we are asking stupid questions, how do I ww something? When I click on the ww it just changes color.

by Anonymousreply 35October 16, 2020 5:57 PM

It means the poster has to take a dump, so don't anybody type anything while they are going. Bump = Bidet dUMP

by Anonymousreply 36October 16, 2020 6:12 PM

In general, it's bad forum etiquette to "bump" old or non active threads. That's not exclusive to this site, but rather any forum. On here, some people just shamelessly type "bump". But on other forums I visit, like ones for Excel questions, they'll excoriate you for doing something like that.

by Anonymousreply 37October 16, 2020 6:20 PM

A [bold]bump[/bold] in the road. "This thread has slowed down."

by Anonymousreply 38October 16, 2020 6:24 PM

[quote] In general, it's bad forum etiquette to "bump" old or non active threads. That's not exclusive to this site, but rather any forum.

Actually, it's not always bad forum etiquette. I participate in a food forum that has lots of good info on old threads. If it's the exact same (or very, very similar) subject matter, it's considered good form to add to the old thread rather than creating a new thread. When posters do start a new thread on something that already has a thread, a moderator will merge the threads. E.g., "Home-Made Falafel."

by Anonymousreply 39October 16, 2020 6:39 PM

[quote]I've always wondered how stupid you have to be to not be able to figure out what 'bump' means all on your own.

r28,If this thought has "always" occupied your imagination, I'd say that's one hell of an impoverished imagination. You need to get out more, dear.

by Anonymousreply 40October 16, 2020 7:50 PM

[quote] . I participate in a food forum that has lots of good info on old threads. If it's the exact same (or very, very similar) subject matter,

Do they write “Worse than Hitler” or “Mein Fuhrer” on the good forum?

by Anonymousreply 41October 16, 2020 8:26 PM

No single human being could be THIS stupid and ask this question, could they?

by Anonymousreply 42October 16, 2020 8:33 PM

Ok, r42, calm down.

by Anonymousreply 43October 16, 2020 8:55 PM

Rose, Rose, Rose 🌹

SMDFH

by Anonymousreply 44October 16, 2020 8:58 PM

R35. That's all a WW will do from your side (grey out the WW button). But the person who posted the comment should receive a notification (above the little bell icon in the upper right corner). It's also supposed to help prevent posts from being greyed out or deleted, but I can't confirm that.

by Anonymousreply 45October 16, 2020 9:06 PM

[quote][R35]. That's all a WW will do from your side (grey out the WW button). But the person who posted the comment should receive a notification (above the little bell icon in the upper right corner). It's also supposed to help prevent posts from being greyed out or deleted, but I can't confirm that.

It is truly refreshing to know that there at least a few DLers who will take the time to answer a serious question and not resort to snark and/or an ad hominem attack. Hats off to you, R45 and R2, R3, R15, R21, R29, R37, and R40.

by Anonymousreply 46October 16, 2020 9:57 PM

Bump is a popular dance from the 70’s all DLers want to remember

by Anonymousreply 47October 16, 2020 10:29 PM

R42 just discovered the internet.

by Anonymousreply 48October 17, 2020 2:33 PM

[quote] No single human being could be THIS stupid and ask this question, could they?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 49October 17, 2020 3:28 PM

[quote] In general, it's bad forum etiquette to "bump" old or non active threads.

Some subjects are still informative even if they’re old, inactive threads, bumped back to life. People also complain about others creating a new thread when an old one exists. Seems like there is no pleasing people.

The moo cow threads get pay-walled after 50 replies, it seems, so, that is why a new moo thread is started before the previous one gets to 600. There is always someone who asks why a new moo thread is created when the old one is still active, and it’s because these cows don’t have the cash to buy a subscription, so a new thread allows everyone on the farm to post. .

by Anonymousreply 50October 17, 2020 10:45 PM

It means the poster is masturbating furiously to the content of the thread and gets further pleasure by the exposure of others knowing it.

No?

by Anonymousreply 51October 17, 2020 10:50 PM

I think we've covered bump. Let's discuss...grind.

by Anonymousreply 52October 17, 2020 10:53 PM

[quote] Had expected more from Bootsy-Gumdrop, more's the pity.

The disapproval of someone who doesn’t know what a bump is in a forum thread — it WOUNDS.

by Anonymousreply 53October 18, 2020 1:01 AM

It's the disappointment that someone is so lazy or unobservant that they can't figure out what 'bump' means simply by inspection.

It's not rocket science. It takes very little thought to figure it out. Are people so used to not actually engaging their brains and working things out for themselves? They expect it all to just be handed to them?

by Anonymousreply 54October 18, 2020 1:05 AM

R27 is too fucking stupid to figure out how to correctly add a thread to her threadwatcher without putting graffiti in the comments.

OP, 1) Welcome back from your coma; none of us missed you and 2) Seriously?

by Anonymousreply 55October 18, 2020 1:09 AM

It literally means: BRING UP MORE POSTS.

by Anonymousreply 56October 18, 2020 1:33 AM

Does one have to part of an elite group for the bump to actually work its magic? I think I tried it once and nothing happened.

by Anonymousreply 57October 18, 2020 1:35 AM

[quote] It's the disappointment that someone is so lazy or unobservant that they can't figure out what 'bump' means simply by inspection.

Exactly. Actually, it’s a shame there isn’t a piece of internet-based software that people can use to input questions and obtain links to websites that may provide answers.

by Anonymousreply 58October 18, 2020 2:20 AM

rump

by Anonymousreply 59October 18, 2020 11:54 AM

[quote] It is truly refreshing to know that there at least a few DLers who will take the time to answer a serious question and not resort to snark and/or an ad hominem attack. Hats off to you,

Oh look, Morticia is handing out approvals.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 60October 18, 2020 12:54 PM

Trump Dump!

by Anonymousreply 61October 18, 2020 1:16 PM

frump

by Anonymousreply 62October 18, 2020 10:37 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!