Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Sheldon Whitehouse Comes for the Republicans

“Don’t think when you have established the rule of ‘because we can,’ that should the shoe be on the other foot, you will have any credibility to come to us and say: ‘yeah, I know you can do that, but you shouldn’t,’” Whitehouse said.

“Your credibility to make that argument at any time in the future will die in this room and on that Senate floor if you continue.”

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 33October 16, 2020 9:11 PM

Sadly he's wasting his breath. ALL Repigs are evil!

Anyone who votes Repig IS EVIL!

Get rid of every Repig you know including family and friends. It's the only way to send them a message.

by Anonymousreply 1October 16, 2020 1:53 AM

The Republicans suppress votes, collude with Russians, gerrymander, refuse to work with Democrats to get things done for the American people, cheat, spread fear and misinformation, bow to corporate interests... why are they allowed to remain a viable political party?

by Anonymousreply 2October 16, 2020 1:55 AM

At least hes throwing down the gauntlet. Hes giving them fair warning so they cant cry when we take drastic measures to undo the damage Republicans have done to this country.

by Anonymousreply 3October 16, 2020 1:56 AM

They {Repigs} still don't care, r3. What are you not understanding?

by Anonymousreply 4October 16, 2020 1:58 AM

When Obama won re-election, he called both the Republican leaders of Senate and House, and both refused to take his call, having someone claim that they had already gone to bed. Can you imagine the gall! Obama was a class act not to nuke Mitchell’s and Boehner’s homes. I’m just reminded of how awful they are.

by Anonymousreply 5October 16, 2020 1:59 AM

r5, then we { Dems } should have learned from that shit behavior but WE DON'T! It's stunning how Dems bend over and take it from these CUNTS!

ENOUGH!!!!!!!!!!!

by Anonymousreply 6October 16, 2020 2:02 AM

Is he a WASP?

by Anonymousreply 7October 16, 2020 2:05 AM

I just saw the video and I'm hard from it.

by Anonymousreply 8October 16, 2020 2:11 AM

here's the video for those who didn't see it:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9October 16, 2020 2:15 AM

I'm glad he said it.

by Anonymousreply 10October 16, 2020 2:20 AM

Contrast this with the bullshit from Diane who's giving Collins a run for her money.

by Anonymousreply 11October 16, 2020 2:23 AM

He's only nominally talking to the Republicans. He's mainly telling the public.

by Anonymousreply 12October 16, 2020 2:41 AM

I wish more people had spoken out like this. Your democracy has been eroded lie after lie, and corrupt action after corrupt action, like ours has. It's incredibly depressing.

by Anonymousreply 13October 16, 2020 11:14 AM

The fact is, whichever side obtains power targets the judiciary, that's the point of winning, so you can appoint judges who align with your social and political philosophy. Everyone acts as if this is some kind of horrifying perversion common only to Republicans.

He's right, of course, but when did anyone ever listen to common sense?

The Republicans made a huge mistake trying to back an impossible horse. They got the tax bill passed that they wanted, but probably at the cost of the next eight years of legislation once the Democrats take back the Senate, which they are likely, although not guaranteed, to do.

It is in the Senate electoral outcome that the country's fate is invested, not the Oval Office. Biden is a second-rate hack - only Trump and COVID are making his ascent to the top possible after a lacklustre career of forty years in which he became famous for his ability to put his foot in his mouth and sway with the political winds.

The GOP will have to use the Biden presidency as time to regroup and rebrand from the utterly surreal spectacle that Trump made of it.

Remains to be seen if they know how, never mind understand why.

by Anonymousreply 14October 16, 2020 12:50 PM

[quote] The GOP will have to use the Biden presidency as time to regroup and rebrand from the utterly surreal spectacle that Trump made of it.

Trump's takeover was only the logical outcome of the Republicans' very long cultivation of bigotry, nativism, and plutocracy. It took an unscrupulous showman to perfect the appeal of those values (temporarily, anyway). If they lose this year, the GOP will have a very difficult time getting away from an ideology that's proved so profitable.

by Anonymousreply 15October 16, 2020 12:55 PM

Sheldon Whitehouse can empty his balls into me any time he wants.

by Anonymousreply 16October 16, 2020 1:02 PM

R15 - It also took the Democrats to play into their hands by moving away from their working-class roots and becoming the party of the comfortable urban liberal class. You had 8 years of Clinton and 8 years of Obama - the 4 of Trump and now you will get at least 4 of Biden. That means that out of the last 20 years, the Democrats have had the White House for 16 years, and Obama came in with Congress, and the Republicans lost steeply in the mid-terms after Bush came in.

And, yet, the labour movement in America is still moribund. Instead of a revival of the labour movement under Clinton, you got NAFTA.

Believe me, we've seen this in Britain.

Nativism was always here. Most people in most countries harbour it to some degree - there was a rightwing backlash across Europe, as well, as the migrant crisis emerged and people in Sweden, Germany, Denmark, France, etc., became alarmed at what they saw as cultural erosion, not to say attack, helped out by the morons pulling down statues and demanding that Lord Nelson and Shakespeare and the NY TIMES capitalising every ethnic and racial group on the planet except white and talking about "opera's inclusion problem".

I don't disagree that the right in America took advantage of it, but it's ludicrous to pretend that the liberal left hasn't made some spectacular own goals, just as Labour did here in Britain.

Those who forget the lessons of history are doomed to repeat them.

Remains to be seen if the Republicans figure this out.

I'm a bit more curious about Dianne Feinstein's odd behaviour.

by Anonymousreply 17October 16, 2020 1:07 PM

It is not difficult to explain Trump. Just recall those horrible 2016 Republican debates with 16 inept also-rans and Donald Trump kicking them all around. Not one of them, not one, could compare to him for showmanship. He said stupid things, debate after debate. He was crass and vulgar and contentious. He knew nothing about politics, policy, law or diplomacy. And he was still the only interesting person on stage. Jeb? Marco? Chris Christie? Not one of them is interesting. Not one. Not one of them is thoughtful or compelling. Trump was extremely well known through his long television career on The Apprentice and he kept things moving. OF COURSE he got the nomination. The others all looked dead in the water after a few debates.

And then he ran against a politician with enormous intellect, skill and experience, who had been in the public eye for so goddamned long that everyone in the country had already made up their mind about her before she even announced she was running. She never budged the needle on the public's opinion of her. And Trump, brand new to politics, had no where to go but up.

The Republican Party was already D.O.A. on ideas and leadership and vision when Trump came along. And he filled that vacuum with his voracious sense of entitlement. The GOP brought nothing to the table, so Trump sat his fat ass down on every seat. And in four years, the GOP has improved not a whit.

by Anonymousreply 18October 16, 2020 5:11 PM

Sheldon Whitehouse is hot. I'm serious!

by Anonymousreply 19October 16, 2020 7:03 PM

Nudes?

by Anonymousreply 20October 16, 2020 7:48 PM

R17,:you remind me. There was a nativist political movement during the 19th century when we had record breaking immigration. My theory is that the country gets whiplash when a certain percentage off the population is foreign born. We need to see assimilation and throttle-back our immigration numbers To stabilize the political environment.

by Anonymousreply 21October 16, 2020 7:53 PM

TONS, R20! Google "Sheldon Whitehouse Nude"

by Anonymousreply 22October 16, 2020 7:54 PM

Bipartisan politics died a long time ago. The Democratic Party still hopes to resurrect it, but the Republican Party is too far gone up their own ass with their "my way or the highway" thinking. When Biden and the Democratic Party win in a landslide I sure hope they don't fall for some lame "ok, now are ware willing to negotiate" act of the Republican Party when they have nothing to offer and the Democratic Party can push bills through on their own.

by Anonymousreply 23October 16, 2020 7:58 PM

R23, then it has to start by getting rid of people like Schumer and Feinstein who are far too friendly with the evil on the right.

by Anonymousreply 24October 16, 2020 8:01 PM

On the sunny-side of things, if this backlash against Trump, this Blue tsunami, works down ballot, it will mean that more progressive state houses will be redistributing their states‘ districts using the 2020 census. Maybe they will gerrymander their states to better represent their citizens. IIRC, the Republicans had a Red wave in 2010, and they severely gerrymandered their states to favor Red candidates.

by Anonymousreply 25October 16, 2020 8:09 PM

Do you know how you can scare a Republican so much that he shits in his pants? AOC, majority leader of the House or Senate

by Anonymousreply 26October 16, 2020 8:09 PM

[quote] You had 8 years of Clinton and 8 years of Obama - the 4 of Trump and now you will get at least 4 of Biden. That means that out of the last 20 years, the Democrats have had the White House for 16 years

Rip Van Winkle at r17 slept through 9 years of George W. Bush.

by Anonymousreply 27October 16, 2020 8:22 PM

^ 8 years

by Anonymousreply 28October 16, 2020 8:23 PM

I wish I could have, R27, along with the last four years.

by Anonymousreply 29October 16, 2020 8:27 PM

Agreed, r29

by Anonymousreply 30October 16, 2020 8:29 PM

Whitehouse was excellent during both the Barrett and Kavanaugh hearings. He should be the Judiciary Committee chairman instead of Feinstein if the Dems take over the Senate

by Anonymousreply 31October 16, 2020 8:44 PM

Feinstein is 87 and needs to retire. She's had an admirable career and I appreciate her service but given her recent behavior, I suspect she's suffering dementia or certainly some serious form of cognitive decline.

by Anonymousreply 32October 16, 2020 9:02 PM

Not dementia. She's too inside the beltway and she's very wealthy. She is not the target of Trump's policies and has given up her empathy.

by Anonymousreply 33October 16, 2020 9:11 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!