Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

I was asked to be a reference for someone applying for a job

I can't vouch for this person. I don't trust them. What do I say, diplomatically, to turn them down?

by Anonymousreply 2710/16/2020

I'm actually already a reference for someone I know much better, for the same position. Would that be a decent excuse?

by Anonymousreply 110/15/2020

Just say you don’t feel comfortable being a reference. End of story.

by Anonymousreply 210/15/2020

Say X already got to you about being a reference for the same job and you do not want to be a reference twice for the same place.

by Anonymousreply 310/15/2020

Agree with R3. That would be the best tactic.

by Anonymousreply 410/15/2020

Say you will and then don't, OP.

Don't you guys know how to lie??

by Anonymousreply 510/15/2020

Just say that there are probably people who know them better who might be a better reference.

by Anonymousreply 610/15/2020

Tell them you have a conflict of interest and can't give a reference. They don't need to know what it is. The less information you give, the better.

by Anonymousreply 710/15/2020

Poison this person with a little known Russian death agent. The world doesn't need another shitty worker. You'd be doing us all a favor. Problem solved.

by Anonymousreply 810/15/2020

“Are you fucking kidding me?”

by Anonymousreply 910/15/2020

Tell them sure, then don’t answer the call.

by Anonymousreply 1010/15/2020

Say yes. Be honest with the hiring representative. They need to know that this person likes Hellman’s mayonnaise.

by Anonymousreply 1110/15/2020

"It's gonna cost you a blow job."

by Anonymousreply 1210/15/2020

I was once asked for my opinion of a former coworker by a current boss. The former coworker was a universe of shit. I told the truth.

by Anonymousreply 1310/15/2020

OP someday someone is going to get you and they are going to get you good. I hope when you are down you get kicked good and hard while you are down there. You deserve it. You associate with someone so that they think that they "could" actually use you for a reference instead of ending the relationship with them then you want to do them dirty. OP you're the shit stain. You can't be honest with this person and say, I don't like you as a person and I don't want to associate with your type like you should have done in the first place. Quit using people shit head.

by Anonymousreply 1410/15/2020

When asked for a reference I always manage to say something nice because not every person is right for every job, and just because someone wasn't a good fit with my company doesn't mean s/he won't be a good fit somewhere else. In that case I usually just keep it to the job duties and dates of employment rather than praising the candidate.

But I would not provide a recommendation for two people vying for the same job, especially if I had a preference. I like R3 's advice.

by Anonymousreply 1510/15/2020

Can you say that you are notoriously bad at that kind of thing?

by Anonymousreply 1610/15/2020

This is what I would tell my students regarding asking a professor to write them a recommendation: if the professor hesitates for even a brief moment when asked, go ask someone else.

by Anonymousreply 1710/16/2020

"I have sufficient"

by Anonymousreply 1810/16/2020

I'd also say "sure" and give your actual opinions to the employer.

by Anonymousreply 1910/16/2020

I'm pretty sure R14 is the person who asked me for the reference.

For the record, we are in a professional group together, she asked to meet me once a few months ago for a one on one meeting, and it went very poorly. She complained about other people in the group and claimed people didn't respect her sufficiently given her level of experience and training. Her reputation for being difficult is well known, and she has atrocious social habits (she's rude as hell). She has some issues, to put it mildly.

I know the folks doing the hiring and they know her, too, so this whole thing is a joke. I could never recommend her to them, and they would think I had lost my mind if I did. I was just looking for a polite way to decline.

Thanks for the suggestions, I did just tell her I was already a reference for another candidate. She didn't respond but I'm sure she's seething. Oh well.

by Anonymousreply 2010/16/2020

I'm the OP at R20.

by Anonymousreply 2110/16/2020

Do you need references to move from one store to another in the dying mall?

by Anonymousreply 2210/16/2020

Me, to the potential employer: “I have nothing bad to say but I barely know this person and they asked me to be a reference. You can draw your own conclusions from that.”

by Anonymousreply 2310/16/2020

[quote] I was asked to be a reference for [bold] someone [/bold] applying for a job. I can't vouch for [bold] this person[/bold]. I don't trust [italic]them [/italic]. What do I say, diplomatically, to turn them down?

Oh dear, oh dear.

by Anonymousreply 2410/16/2020

OP, write:

“You will be fortunate if you can get this person to work for you”.

“I can’t express how highly I regard this person.”

by Anonymousreply 2510/16/2020

Say something truthful but neutral, like "He's good at circulating his blood and drawing air into his lungs" or "If you're looking for a candidate whose body temperature is 98.6 degrees, she could be a good fit."

by Anonymousreply 2610/16/2020

Just keep saying “WHO!?”

by Anonymousreply 2710/16/2020
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Don't you just LOVE clicking on these things on every single site you visit? I know we do! You can thank the EU parliament for making everyone in the world click on these pointless things while changing absolutely nothing. If you are interested you can take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT and we'll set a dreaded cookie to make it go away. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!