Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Tasteful Friends: Dave Brubeck's 1960s Japanese inspired Connecticut home and Zen gardens.

[post redacted because linking to dailymail.co.uk clearly indicates that the poster is either a troll or an idiot (probably both, honestly.) Our advice is that you just ignore this poster but whatever you do, don't click on any link to this putrid rag.]

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 37October 16, 2020 9:32 PM

Boring. Also how do people keep the house warm in winter when it's all around glass.

Stupid Farnsworth House knock off.

by Anonymousreply 1October 15, 2020 11:42 AM

The kitchen is a little austere, but the whole house is gorgeous. Your link OP, is just to the intro of, "Take Five", but no house link, so here it is:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2October 15, 2020 11:43 AM

I love this place. Wish there were better pics of the baths and bedrooms. My only critique is I am not a huge fan of the rough rock, sweeping interior staircase. The rest is perfection, including the grounds.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3October 15, 2020 11:47 AM

Daily Mail links don't work when the page has an embedded video. You can either go to your Settings and temporarily disable Link Preview or google the title of the article as it appears in the preview. The DM article has larger photos and more of them.

by Anonymousreply 4October 15, 2020 11:48 AM

It's pretty... period but I like a lot about it. It would be really interesting to see what a designer could do to respect the building while creating a liveable home that didn't feel like a museum piece. Am no more a fan of this than hard core Colonial, where the house dictates everything down to the frills on the curtains. Still, I think it's a great house.

by Anonymousreply 5October 15, 2020 12:02 PM

It’s beautiful to look at but I wouldn’t want to live in it. In fact, it doesn’t look like anyone does.

by Anonymousreply 6October 15, 2020 12:06 PM

That's not a house, it's a concept. An intellectual construct.

by Anonymousreply 7October 15, 2020 12:14 PM

It is kind of beautiful in a very austere way, but damn it must cost a fortune to heat up in Connecticut with all that glass

Worth preserving as an interesting period piece but I couldnt live in it

by Anonymousreply 8October 15, 2020 12:21 PM

[quote]It’s beautiful to look at but I wouldn’t want to live in it. In fact, it doesn’t look like anyone does.

The article says that the children were keeping the house since his death but not living there. That's why so much of it is original.

by Anonymousreply 9October 15, 2020 12:21 PM

Re: heating costs. It's possible it was primarily a summer residence. He became extremely wealthy and probably had more than one residence. This is all speculation though.

by Anonymousreply 10October 15, 2020 12:25 PM

Re: heating costs. It's possible it was primarily a summer residence. He became extremely wealthy and probably had more than one residence. This is all speculation though.

by Anonymousreply 11October 15, 2020 12:25 PM

I love the Japanese style.

by Anonymousreply 12October 15, 2020 12:29 PM

The two 2-story spaces and the dining room are all very nice, though I agree with R3 that the rock faced wall along the stair seems heavy and off mark, and the curve of the stair isn't very elegant either. A simpler. more transparent stair in a straight run would have been better.

For me, two key pleasures of a modern house are walls of glass but also large walls for hanging large, bold art. This house seems really short on walls on which to hang pictures of any scale.

The lesser rooms are ordinary, and the gardens are a bit gimmicky.

by Anonymousreply 13October 15, 2020 12:29 PM

The Daily Mail website demands that I turn off my AdBlock or or white list the site… so I don't look at DM content.

Fukkum in their English arses.

by Anonymousreply 14October 15, 2020 12:31 PM

I guess I’m in the minority, but I love that staircase. It’s a true original. And the grounds look pretty as well.

by Anonymousreply 15October 15, 2020 12:32 PM

I looked at the sales listing photos and hate the stone stairs even more. It's huge and ugly.

On the gardens I came around though, the Blue Willow china pattern bridge and the pond and island is a bit kitschy, but the gardens that the large windows in the main rooms look onto are very nice. See photos 9 and 31. The bedrooms—all 8 of them—look a bit dated, as do the bathrooms, but some minor cosmetic rather than more substantive changes could make a huge improvement.

It's a big house: 6252 square feet. And it looks impressive in the night photos.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 16October 15, 2020 3:35 PM

Was the stone quarried on site?

by Anonymousreply 17October 15, 2020 3:51 PM

That house wouldn’t work in the South unless all the glass was converted to electrochromic, or smart glass. Even so, it’d likely cost a fortune to cool.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 18October 15, 2020 4:08 PM

I thought I'd walked in on Mike and Carol Brady fucking.

by Anonymousreply 19October 15, 2020 9:51 PM

Looks like a pretentious dream house of a NYer with too much money to send on stupid architecture.

by Anonymousreply 20October 15, 2020 10:30 PM

R20 hope you get that McMansion of your dreams, R20. Planning on chintz and decoupage decor?

by Anonymousreply 21October 15, 2020 10:55 PM

Looks like a psychiatrist or successful dentist's house of that period. A pretentious "artistic soul" with money. It would be better mucked up like a family lived there. A 60s and 70s family with pets. Do they board up those windows in the winter, or just throw money at heating it enough so the pipes don't freeze?

by Anonymousreply 22October 15, 2020 11:00 PM

Fabulous. I'm paying no attention to the philistines on the thread who would modernize this masterpiece with fucking shiplap or whatever.

by Anonymousreply 23October 15, 2020 11:06 PM

I love it long time.

by Anonymousreply 24October 15, 2020 11:09 PM

I love this place. I admire the Japanese aesthetic and believe in keeping wall decoration to a minimum. I’d update the kitchen, but that’s about it. The gardens are exquisite.

by Anonymousreply 25October 16, 2020 12:01 AM

"The gardens". Sheesh. It's not Winterthur.

by Anonymousreply 26October 16, 2020 1:12 AM

I would warm it up with some rugs and textiles . Hang some art and plants,a few cozy seating groups .It would transform this cold (yet beautiful) space . Those views are fantastic.

by Anonymousreply 27October 16, 2020 1:52 AM

It is precisely the type and style of home I have zero appreciation for. As a matter of fact I hate it. It looks like elderly wealthy Jewish intellectuals built it and never changed a thing. I suspect gigantic metal abstract sculptures mar the outdoor areas. Hard pass.

by Anonymousreply 28October 16, 2020 1:54 AM

FF-ing the anti-Semite @ R28

by Anonymousreply 29October 16, 2020 4:40 AM

I love it.

by Anonymousreply 30October 16, 2020 5:11 AM

It’s no Richard Neutra home..now his are gorgeous

by Anonymousreply 31October 16, 2020 5:20 AM

R7: A lot of his music was "an intellectual concept" which was a critique of "west coast" and college boy jazz, in general---not without merit.. "Take Five" was a rare example where that translated into something that became timeless.

The house seems like Japanese by way of Frank Lloyd Wright. Wright was influenced by Japan, too, but this seems closer to him despite the flourishes like the music room. The gardens are only somewhat Japanese---real Japanese gardens envelop you--the usual bridges, red lacquer and cliche plants are US touches---the real thing involves very small but visually complex spaces. The pseudo-Japanese entry way from the street seems tacky.

The field stone is 50s thing and was often over used in private homes and businesses, often to provide a contrast to mid century minimalism. It seems a little heavy handed here. A little stone goes a long way.

All this glass can be a challenge to air condition even with the ample shade.

by Anonymousreply 32October 16, 2020 11:53 AM

Philip Johnson was a huge influence in Connecticut in terms of mid century modern home architecture.

by Anonymousreply 33October 16, 2020 3:48 PM

R31 - I totally agree. Richard Neutra is an icon and always will be for good reason. Of course, he was both a very talented and exacting architect. Beverley David Thorne certainly did well for himself but can hardly be considered as being the same level of architect. The majority of Neutra's homes were somewhat modestly scaled by today's McMansion standards and were executed tastefully and scaled perfectly for his particular design aesthetic. I believe his largest residential home design was built in Palos Verdes and while stunning was still only about half this size. Neutra knew the need for balance, scale and making the most of a building site. This home has its good points (walls of glass, soaring ceilings in some rooms, attractive exteriors - the rear facade in particular) but to me it comes off as a very juvenile knock-off of a style created and perfected by actually talented architects. The "fantasy" elements don't work here. The horrible stone staircase has the shape and form of something designed to live in an outdoor garden terrace or a set for Nosferatu. It clashes with the overall architecture. The stone material itself could have worked - but the oversized cartoonish scale and swooping curlicue form make it an eyesore in this context. The rest of the house is choppy and ant-farm-ish for the most part - neither great nor bad but rather just OK. The grounds are beautiful for the most part - minus the tacky "Oriental" flourishes. Everything needs scrubbing and updating; a spare $1 million or so could right most wrongs here. Still that massive, tacky, castle-like stone staircase is there to stay.

by Anonymousreply 34October 16, 2020 9:01 PM

You have to look at this house in the context of 1963. For the era it would have been spectacular. The exterior looks very Philip Johnson. It looks like something you would expect for someone in the arts, a wealthy creative intellectual.

by Anonymousreply 35October 16, 2020 9:20 PM

The red bridge and red accents outside are completely different from the style inside. It looks like a cheesy Benihana recreation.

by Anonymousreply 36October 16, 2020 9:31 PM

I would by the place for the grounds. For me the house would be a tear down. Nice for 1963 but not for today.

by Anonymousreply 37October 16, 2020 9:32 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!