Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Garrison Keillor says Roe v. Wade isn't worth fighting for anymore

And throws gays under the bus while he's at it

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 97October 17, 2020 7:42 PM

"Meanwhile, R v W is a toxic issue that has poisoned our politics for almost 50 years and succeeded in electing a great many cynical and corrupt men to public office who oppose abortion publicly but would provide it for their daughters without question.”"

He's got a point.

by Anonymousreply 1October 15, 2020 12:48 AM

So what? He's older than God and irrelevant. There are so many more salient things to be outraged about.

by Anonymousreply 2October 15, 2020 12:48 AM

I always thought he was liberal? When did he become a right wing cunt?

by Anonymousreply 3October 15, 2020 12:50 AM

He was cancelled in 2018, anyway. So he's completely irrelevant.

by Anonymousreply 4October 15, 2020 12:59 AM

He’s always been unfortunate in the looks department, much like Michael Moore.

by Anonymousreply 5October 15, 2020 1:01 AM

Never liked his brand of dreary Scandinavian American tweeness.

by Anonymousreply 6October 15, 2020 1:05 AM

Who?

Also - he's nasty looking. Very ugly.

by Anonymousreply 7October 15, 2020 1:06 AM

I thought cancellation was a good thing for him. Never could stand the faux naif thing.

by Anonymousreply 8October 15, 2020 1:08 AM

He can die in a grease fire.

by Anonymousreply 9October 15, 2020 1:08 AM

People with dicks shouldn't have opinions about abortion.

by Anonymousreply 10October 15, 2020 1:09 AM

I am a gay male in my late 60's and I have never or will never contemplate or need an abortion, but I believe that a woman should be in charge of her own body, not the government. I don't believe rape victims should be forced to carry their rapists baby, and I don't believe a woman should be force to carry a baby that might kill her to do so.

I am sick of religious people trying to force their values on everyone else, while they demand their own religious exemptions. Outlawing abortions will not stop abortion, just reduce the number. Yes Roe is worth fight for, because once the right achieves the goal of overturning it, they will turn their sights on gay marriage, another right I don't expect to ever use but an important one to preserve.

by Anonymousreply 11October 15, 2020 1:09 AM

Abortion won’t go away.

by Anonymousreply 12October 15, 2020 1:11 AM

It’s true that Democrats and liberals were foolish for decades by not making Court a motivating issue, while Republicans and conservatives shrewdly made it THE issue. Now, Democrats want to wail and Moan and act out. Too late.

by Anonymousreply 13October 15, 2020 1:12 AM

The right wing doesn’t give a shit about abortion. They use it as a dog whistle. If they cared about those “babies” they would allow free and widespread use of birth control. Voila! No abortions!

by Anonymousreply 14October 15, 2020 1:13 AM

Back in the day, I had more than a few backroom abortions during my Lake Woebegone tour stops. Years later I was feeling a little nostalgic and offered to share my stories on Prairie Home Companion, but Boy Scout Keillor wasn't ready for Auntie Helen's tales from the wrong side of the tracks. And he still ain't!

by Anonymousreply 15October 15, 2020 1:24 AM

[quote]People with dicks shouldn't have opinions about abortion.

[quote]If men could get pregnant, abortion would be a sacrament.

(The author of the above quote is uncertain; it has been variously attributed to Florynce Kennedy, Gloria Steinem, and an elderly Irish woman taxi driver.}

by Anonymousreply 16October 15, 2020 1:34 AM

He doesn't seem to realize that a nuanced argument has no place in today's climate.

by Anonymousreply 17October 15, 2020 1:58 AM

PACK THE COURT!!!!

by Anonymousreply 18October 15, 2020 2:03 AM

Can you even imagine the crulelty of not allowing a mother to abort a severely deformed fetus or carry her rapist’s child to full term? That’s what “every sperm is sacred” Amy wants. She’ll go after birth control once Roe is overturned. Hard to fathom but we could be living in a world where birth control pills would be illegal. I don’t think they’d be successful in criminalizing condoms, since men don’t want to be saddled with a potential kid every time they fuck.

by Anonymousreply 19October 15, 2020 2:17 AM

I will admit overturning Roe v Wade has unpredictable political consequences. By polls, most states would still allow some kind of abortion, but polls don't vote. Heavily gerrymandered legislatures would do the actual voting, and I suspect there would be quite a few states where in effect only Republicans would get a say on whether abortion is or is not legal. They already do, quite often, in a practical sense. But this would make everything a whole lot blunter. Voting for that Republican, whatever they say, is voting to outlaw abortion in pretty much all instances in your state. Does that affect your vote? How much? How much for women in particular? They may now be forced down this road, but I suspect a lot of national Republicans are deeply fearful about the answers to those questions.

by Anonymousreply 20October 15, 2020 2:24 AM

There are thoughts that no only could SCOTUS overturn Roe v Wade but it could say ANY state law that allows abortion is somehow unconstitutional—making abortion illegal across the country.

Does anyone even believe if Roe v Wade, the evangelicals will just let states keep their abortion laws as is??

by Anonymousreply 21October 15, 2020 3:18 AM

You don’t need to pack the Supreme Court. But we need to do, is restrict its jurisdiction over certain cases such as those dealing with gay rights and abortion. The Supreme Court, has been too powerful for too long. The founding fathers, never intended for the Supreme Court to be as powerful as it is.

by Anonymousreply 22October 15, 2020 3:26 AM

Garrison Keillor is a closet case. Years ago, I heard so many stories of how he would cruise various parks in the Twin Cities looking for some action.

And yes. He’s quite unfortunate looking.

by Anonymousreply 23October 15, 2020 3:34 AM

Well screw it then! Screw the SC. Get Soros/Bezos/Gates to fund a program that gives an airplane ticket+hotel+hospital costs to women who want an abortion and fly them to a civilized country where it is legal. Only available to registered Democrats of course.

by Anonymousreply 24October 15, 2020 4:47 AM

It seems to me remarkable that Republicans believe you shouldn't pay tax because the government isn't the best authority to tell you how to spend your money, but they're WAY the best authority to tell you whether or not you can survive a perilous pregnancy or care for a child.

Because they speak for Gad.

(That's what non-Americans call the almost constant invocation of the deity by the loudest Americans.)

by Anonymousreply 25October 15, 2020 4:56 AM

If you add GOP-voting women to the millions of women who never vote, you easily have the majority of American women. These are women who don't want the freedom to choose, or are ambivalent about not having it. I say get rid of it and surprisingly few women will make a huge stink, but at least they will be forced to realize they lost it because the majority of WOMEN never got off their asses to support it!

by Anonymousreply 26October 15, 2020 5:09 AM

I dont geeve a foock about embryos but they are good for antibody cocktail right? Mix them up for me boyz.

by Anonymousreply 27October 15, 2020 5:14 AM

Minnesota Public Radio fired Keillor after he was investigated for sexual misconduct with a female employee. He tried to silence another female employee with $16,000 and a confidentiality agreement. She refused both. He wrote a column defending grabby Al Franken while he himself was under investigation for similar accusations. He has also questioned the existence of white privilege.

He doesn't care as long as he's not personally affected. Garbage people say garbage things.

by Anonymousreply 28October 15, 2020 5:18 AM

He's always was a nasty guy. Remember when he made a big song and dance about moving to Denmark and then came back. What happened?

by Anonymousreply 29October 15, 2020 5:37 AM

Gimme my abortions or gimme death!!!

by Anonymousreply 30October 15, 2020 5:49 AM

His second and third wives are Danish. He lived in Copenhagen briefly with his second wife, but has split his time between St. Paul and Manhattan for decades.

by Anonymousreply 31October 15, 2020 5:59 AM

Keillor: "I'd like you to meet my third wife, Jenny, who is from Denmark."

by Anonymousreply 32October 15, 2020 6:04 AM

Let them overturn it. The blue states won't change. The red states will become blue states as reality hits. Repugs don't really want it overturned for just that reason. It takes away their biggest vote getting issue.

by Anonymousreply 33October 15, 2020 6:16 AM

R13

Are you kidding? Democrats have used Roe as a wedge issue for decades. The problem is, many in the Democratic coalition oppose gay rights and abortion, so SCOTUS is very much on the back burner for anyone who isn't gay or a single white woman.

by Anonymousreply 34October 15, 2020 6:41 AM

He and Michael Moore must have fallen on the ugly stick at a very young age. Except in Moore's case, he ate it.

by Anonymousreply 35October 15, 2020 6:43 AM

R26, are you on crack? Hear of a little thing called the Million Women's March???? Hear of all the organizing, marching, etc. that has gone on for decades? The ERA?

I hope your mother disinherits you and moves without telling you her new address.

by Anonymousreply 36October 15, 2020 6:53 AM

Not really r34. I think once Roe v Wade happened, most liberals were content to let it be. It's the right that went into hysterics and began organizing around this single issue, and sadly quite effectively.

by Anonymousreply 37October 15, 2020 1:07 PM

Noted Fat Fuck and Sex Pest Comments on Issues Not Related to His Existence

by Anonymousreply 38October 15, 2020 1:11 PM

[quote] The founding fathers, never intended for the Supreme Court to be as powerful as it is.

R22, So you claim to know what the founding fathers intended? What part of three coequal parts of government don't you understand?

by Anonymousreply 39October 15, 2020 1:47 PM

That is one ugly motherfucker, inside and out.

by Anonymousreply 40October 15, 2020 1:48 PM

coequal is the problem there, r39. When everyone's rights are hanging by a thread depending on the whims and impulses of nine people, it is a problem.

That said, I'm not sure the Founding Fathers really had a good answer themselves. Not sure how the Constitution was supposed to be self enforcing. Jefferson had some vague idea that each branch had a say in what was and wasn't constitutional, but I don't know how that works in practice without leading to chaos.

by Anonymousreply 41October 15, 2020 1:51 PM

Roe V Wade was so judiciously rules that it has remained pretty strong.

It's basic logic is that, once the fetus can survive without the mother, it cannot be aborted (except in exceptional circumstances like saving the mother's life). This means abortions can happen until about the 26th week (out of 40).

It a good compromise but the right thinks that making abortion illegal will actually stop abortion.

by Anonymousreply 42October 15, 2020 3:43 PM

R24, Bezos has been donating to Republicans, he's not on our side.

[quote]Of course Jeff Bezos is giving money to Republicans. On Tuesday, during Amazon’s annual sale event known as Prime Day, E&E News reported that the same month that Amazon announced a Climate Pledge to offset more carbon dioxide than it produces, the company’s Political Action Committee donated $20,500 to besieged Republican candidates. Overall, from January 2019 through this August, 70 percent of the PAC’s Senate donations went toward supporting Republicans.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 43October 15, 2020 3:49 PM

The impending abortion and same-sex marriage bans in red states will merely cement the division of the U.S. into two separate, distinct nations: one a theocracy under the iron fist of Christian sharia, the other a modern liberal democracy.

But Susan Sarandon is rich, white, straight, and post-menopausal, so why should she and other prominent HDS sufferers give a shit?

by Anonymousreply 44October 15, 2020 3:52 PM

Well, not even sure they think that r42. Some do. Others have a whole neurotic thing where "illicit" sex by women should be punished by childbirth and there can be no escape from that. Others just love the idea of women under control, either from husbands or wardens, but somebody has to "take control."

And why the hell would Bezos be on "our side." Billionaires are generally ridiculously selfish and annoying creatures. Tax the fuckers and never trust them.

by Anonymousreply 45October 15, 2020 3:53 PM

And I have to plead ignorance on this, but isn't there a morning after pill? Will that just explode into a huge black market anywhere abortion is illegal? Are there other abortion pills that will eventually become like marijuana a decade or so ago, banned everywhere and available everywhere?

by Anonymousreply 46October 15, 2020 4:00 PM

Bezos doesn't care about climate change disaster. His whole line is that we should let the planet go to hell and escape to Mars or somewhere. He's a mad bald billionaire like the John Hurt character in Contact, although with a dose of Blofeld.

by Anonymousreply 47October 15, 2020 4:06 PM

When celebs are young they show their talent and are desperate to please, so they display only the 'best' of their characters, but have you noticed that as they age they start to peel off the layers as they feel the impunity that money and fame provide.

This guy was great (at least I enjoyed his shows) for a minute in the late seventies, then he became a franchise, then a bloated tick on the ass of public radio, and now he's a monster. Kind of like Der Fuhrer.

by Anonymousreply 48October 15, 2020 4:37 PM

[quote] Bezos has been donating to Republicans, he's not on our side.

Most of the super rich only have one side, their own. They donate to politicians that will listen to them when they call regardless of party. Buy a little influence here buy a little there, next thing you know you can decide how legislation is written, especially tax legislation. We need to find a way to get money out of politics, the super rich are buying influence that decides who gets nominated to the Supreme Court and other judicial appointments. The rich shouldn't have any stronger voice in legislation than you or me.

by Anonymousreply 49October 15, 2020 7:17 PM

What a lousy, intellectually lazy, and defeatist position to take.

by Anonymousreply 50October 15, 2020 8:11 PM

r46, the morning after pill results in extremely painful cramping, nausea, vomiting, sore breasts, etc. that can persist for a full week and more dangerous side effects like blood clots, heart attacks, strokes, etc. It must be taken within 72hrs of the rape or broken condom or whatever, costs money, only works if sperm have not yet penetrated eggs prior to it being taken and is still not 100% effective as sperm, particularly the hardier sperm that results in female embryos, can survive for up to 10 days within a woman's reproductive system. So, that's not a failsafe alternative to chemical (early) abortion and doesn't begin to address the myriad complex health reasons a woman might need a surgical (11ish weeks on) abortion.

by Anonymousreply 51October 16, 2020 10:00 AM

Supercilious pig from MN needs a grease fire.

by Anonymousreply 52October 16, 2020 10:08 AM

Typical narcissistic media freak. The argument from every rich heterosexual white media personality over the last twenty years has been that liberals should shut the fuck up and bend over for whatever conservatives want. And if liberals dare make a peep in protest they are being " divisive". Wasn't he sued multiple times anyway?

by Anonymousreply 53October 16, 2020 10:10 AM

R39

The founding fathers didn't even plan for judicial review. They were infuriated when SCOTUS took that power for itself.

by Anonymousreply 54October 16, 2020 10:16 AM

That's the news from Lake Wobegon, where the women are scared and the men are total dickweeds.

by Anonymousreply 55October 16, 2020 10:17 AM

[quote]Supercilious pig from MN needs a grease fire.

Haven't the people of Minnesota suffered enough?

by Anonymousreply 56October 16, 2020 10:23 AM

After he was canceled he became free to say whatever the fuck he wants. There's an advantage to it.

by Anonymousreply 57October 16, 2020 10:34 AM

For someone who looks like a Big Fat Lesbian you would think he would have more empathy with the rights of women's bodies.

by Anonymousreply 58October 16, 2020 2:03 PM

I would gladly sacrifice abortion to save gay marriage. Heterosexual women have killed more gay babies by now than Hitler killed Jews.

by Anonymousreply 59October 16, 2020 3:00 PM

R55 Ha! ...and where all the children are below average, with many unwanted.

by Anonymousreply 60October 16, 2020 5:55 PM

R59, don't you know none are free until all are free. That canard got us to support non-binary furries et al.!

by Anonymousreply 61October 16, 2020 7:44 PM

I'm pretty sure women will disagree with Keillor

by Anonymousreply 62October 16, 2020 7:50 PM

Banning abortion in some central American countries has been an utter disaster.

Women and doctors are jailed if they are suspected of having an abortion. In fact, they are required to report on each other if there's any evidence of abortion work.

It creates an atmosphere of suspicion.

Are abortions going down? Doubtful. They are just done in secret and we're back to the days of back alley abortions.

by Anonymousreply 63October 16, 2020 7:52 PM

LMAO, R59, 'cause you're joking, right?

How many gay sperm have died when you jerk off every two hours, 24/7?

Unwanted children, gay or straight, are the gift that keeps giving, making our society weaker, sicker, sadder and prone to follow sociopaths. Loved, wanted children are the opposite--the build our cultures into strong, stable ones in which happiness is possible.

by Anonymousreply 64October 16, 2020 7:58 PM

R64 sounds like a Nazi.

by Anonymousreply 65October 16, 2020 8:05 PM

Stupid, irrelevant fat fuck. His fifteen minutes were over long ago.

by Anonymousreply 66October 16, 2020 8:09 PM

Violent crime rates dropped dramatically in the early 90s, 20 years after abortion was legalized. Abortion is in the best interests of society.

by Anonymousreply 67October 16, 2020 8:31 PM

Yes Freakomics did a very convincing analysis of how crime rates went down in the order that states legalized abortion

by Anonymousreply 68October 16, 2020 10:15 PM

It is absolutely ridiculous that abortion was even a political issue to begin with. It's a private medical issue and should not be in the political realm at all.

by Anonymousreply 69October 16, 2020 10:48 PM

[R65] hasn't graduated middleschool.

by Anonymousreply 70October 17, 2020 8:06 AM

Anyone stupid enough to believe in the dishonest abuse of statistics in Freakonomics is too stupid to live, and should be euthanized just as they authors would suggest.

by Anonymousreply 71October 17, 2020 10:49 AM

Does that mean you agree with R1, R69?

by Anonymousreply 72October 17, 2020 11:29 AM

He’s clearly embittered that his career was rightly destroyed. Why is the media reprinting his opinion or even asking about it? No one cares.

by Anonymousreply 73October 17, 2020 1:01 PM

r71 violent crime rates did drop dramatically in the early 90s. The legalization of abortion 20 years earlier definitely played a part in that.

by Anonymousreply 74October 17, 2020 2:27 PM

Nonsense. First of all there were a million abortions a year before it was legalized, so legalizing it only raised abortions 20% and only for a short time. Second, crime and policing (and the counting of crime) respond to so many variables, none can be isolated with even a 10% of causation.

by Anonymousreply 75October 17, 2020 4:56 PM

Legalized abortions increased the number of abortions of unwanted fetuses who would've grown up in horrible environments. There is absolutely a cause=effect relationship between that and lower crime rates 20 years later.

by Anonymousreply 76October 17, 2020 5:02 PM

Nonsense R76.

None of that follows. All of it needs to be proved, and it can't be with notoriously unreliable abortion statistics.

by Anonymousreply 77October 17, 2020 5:13 PM

Abortion legalized in US - 20 years later violent crime rates plummet. It's pretty simple.

And r77 you're contradicting yourself. You said abortion statistics are unreliable but in your earlier post you provided statistics.

by Anonymousreply 78October 17, 2020 5:21 PM

Well to the extent we have the statistics, they don't support your assertions. Maybe women who seek abortions are actually better mothers than ones who don't. Maybe "horrible conditions" are all economic factors that have nothing to do with "overpopulation." Maybe there are a thousand factors at work here and abortion's influence is so small as to be unmeasurable even if we had perfect statistics. No, you are an idiot. You are making assumptions about what abortion means that may not be true.

by Anonymousreply 79October 17, 2020 5:35 PM

r79 again, the legalization of abortion - making abortions safe and accessible to millions of American women - had a direct impact on the lessening of violent crimes two decades later. This isn't rocket science.

by Anonymousreply 80October 17, 2020 5:37 PM

The Impact of Legalized Abortion on Crime Over the Last Two Decades

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 81October 17, 2020 5:37 PM

This is a prima facie fraudulent use of statistics.

by Anonymousreply 82October 17, 2020 5:45 PM

Cause/effect r82. You're just being pigheaded.

by Anonymousreply 83October 17, 2020 5:46 PM

No, the study does not even pretend to show cause and effect. Just correlations, and they are using garbage formulas to misaggregate causes. Statistics are very good at measuring independent effects. They are very bad at distinguishing complex systems. You need some form of fluid dynamics for that.

by Anonymousreply 84October 17, 2020 5:48 PM

And I guess real-world evidence is beyond you r84. BTW, you're not correct in your opinion of these studies.

by Anonymousreply 85October 17, 2020 5:50 PM

New economic researchCrime rates in the U.S. have fallen by about half since the early 1990s. A new working paper from the National Bureau of Economic Research finds that legalized abortion following the Supreme Court’s landmark Roe v. Wade decision in 1973 accounts for 45% of the decline in crime rates over the past three decades.

The paper’s authors, Stanford University economist John Donohue and University of Chicago economist Steve Levitt, take new data and run nearly the same model they used in their influential — and controversial — 2001 analysis published in the Quarterly Journal of Economics, where they first suggested an association between abortion and crime. resurfaces debate about the link between legalized abortion and crime reduction

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 86October 17, 2020 5:52 PM

[quote]Are you kidding? [bold]Democrats have used Roe as a wedge issue for decades[/bold]. The problem is, [bold]many in the Democratic coalition oppose gay rights and abortion[/bold]

trollin’ trollin’ trollin’....

by Anonymousreply 87October 17, 2020 5:54 PM

Some Democrats have opposed abortion, it's true. Some Republicans haven't been very critical of abortion, although they're mostly Republicans in the Northeast where religious bullshit isn't as prevalent.

by Anonymousreply 88October 17, 2020 5:56 PM

thank you r51. I had a feeling it wasn't that simple. There's no easy way here. I suspect Roe v Wade will be overturned, and then every fight in every state legislature is going to get 100x more brutal. I suspect even Republicans don't want that, but that train is leaving the station.

by Anonymousreply 89October 17, 2020 5:57 PM

If black lives matter, then why do we still allow the abortions of black and brown babies?

by Anonymousreply 90October 17, 2020 5:57 PM

yes, you go with that r90. You run on that. In fact, get all your Republican buddies to run on that. A straight up, no more abortions ever, for any reason, ticket.

by Anonymousreply 91October 17, 2020 6:00 PM

Abortion will always be around, it always has. Of course, women with financial means have always been able to get abortions. Back in the days when abortion was illegal, it was common knowledge that the old Doctors Hospital on East End Ave. in NYC was where women with money went to get abortions on-demand.

by Anonymousreply 92October 17, 2020 6:03 PM

Because babies aren’t aborted, R90, fetuses are, and the black and brown WOMEN who have those abortions have better lives and opportunities because of them.

If you care so much about black and brown lives, can we assume that you’re speaking out against police brutality as forcefully as you do abortion?

by Anonymousreply 93October 17, 2020 6:11 PM

Madison predicted all this. He said factions were the great enemy of a republic. He said the best way to control them was to tax the rich to mediocrity and support the poor to comfort. If you did not, the rich would invent issues to divide the people (like abortion, homosexuality and crime, none of which can be eliminated by legislation), and in the lost ability to compromise, he saw the death of republics. You see he favored the welfare state not on economic grounds, but to prevent the kind of poison politics we've had ever since taxes on the rich were cut beginning in the 1960s

by Anonymousreply 94October 17, 2020 7:40 PM

Of course the whole federalist society exists to falsify the history and eliminate this aspect of the story.

by Anonymousreply 95October 17, 2020 7:41 PM

A completely conscious fraud by the likes of John Roberts.

by Anonymousreply 96October 17, 2020 7:41 PM

It's hardly surprising Garrison Keillor would fall into the trap. He's always been well short of average in the brains department.

by Anonymousreply 97October 17, 2020 7:42 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!