Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

The Blessing of the Animals: St. Francis Day 2020

I missed the above which took place on October 4th. My dog has terminal cancer so I wanted to take him to this event which normally is great fun and can be quite moving. People bring their animals to a participating Catholic Church where a priest blesses your animal

OK, I'm not a true believer though I grew up in the church. I figure why not give my dog a bit of insurance. Have any of you done this?

Because I missed the official event I'd like to make a private apt with a priest for a blessing. Have any of you done this? If so, how much cash should I offer for this service?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 18October 18, 2020 12:34 AM

I am sorry about your dog, OP. I hope someone can help you with the information you need.

by Anonymousreply 1October 15, 2020 12:20 AM

I'm so sorry about your dog. I can't offer advise but I've seen blessing services on YouTube and was incredibly moved.

by Anonymousreply 2October 15, 2020 12:41 AM

OP, I'm truly sorry that your is ill. I can't imagine that your dog is not already blessed, as are all creatures great and small, but if having a priest say a prayer over him will bring you some degree of solace, certainly you should do so. If you're unsure of what to offer the priest, simply ask him what is customary. Any offering will be appreciated.

I wish you well in this difficult time.

by Anonymousreply 3October 15, 2020 12:52 AM

^^^truly sorry that your dog is ill . . .

by Anonymousreply 4October 15, 2020 12:54 AM

If you haven't attended a Blessing of the Animals you might consider attending. I've seen all kinds of animals like camels, alligators, sheep, etc. They always seem to be on such good behaviot.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5October 15, 2020 1:05 AM

I went to one of these a few years ago. As I was sitting in my car, I noticed the priest walking with a parishioner out to the car parked behind mine. As they approached, a big dog inside the other car began snarling and barking furiously at the priest. We all had a good laugh at the sight of the priest sprinkling holy water toward the window of the car and blessing the snarling "demon" doggy. That dog really needed that blessing! Best wishes to you and your beloved friend, OP.

by Anonymousreply 6October 15, 2020 1:17 AM

Pit bulls get courtesy full on exorcisms.

by Anonymousreply 7October 15, 2020 1:24 AM

I don't know about your priest OP but mine accepts blow jobs in lieu of cash gifts.

by Anonymousreply 8October 15, 2020 1:26 AM

I went to this once at the Cathedral of St. John the Divine in Manhattan...I’m not religious (unless you count being Quaker) but it was very moving and beautiful. Attending in person might help you, too...if the service is socially distant.

by Anonymousreply 9October 15, 2020 2:26 AM

Can y’all just leave us out of your ridiculous bullshit? It’s bad enough you dress us up for Halloween.

by Anonymousreply 10October 15, 2020 2:36 AM

I had my (now deceased) dog blessed at one of these ceremonies years ago. Many people came with their animals, and most weren't even Catholics. Please go, and hopefully you will find some comfort.

by Anonymousreply 11October 15, 2020 2:38 AM

My dog got blessed by Pope John Paul while he was in DC years ago.

by Anonymousreply 12October 15, 2020 2:56 AM

I'm sorry, OP. For us animal lovers, our beloved furry companions are a true blessing in our lives.

by Anonymousreply 13October 15, 2020 2:59 AM

[quote]Because I missed the official event I'd like to make a private apt with a priest for a blessing. Have any of you done this?

No, because I'm not out of my mind!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 14October 15, 2020 4:52 AM

The blessing is probably for your peace of mind, it has nothing to do with your terminally ill dog, OP. Just hug and kiss him more and he will know you love him.

by Anonymousreply 15October 15, 2020 5:23 AM

Yes but my pet I took there was legendary so I can't say more without giving up anonymity! It's an amazing event full of love and humor. Among my fav religious rituals.

by Anonymousreply 16October 15, 2020 5:27 AM

[quote]The blessing is probably for your peace of mind . . .

It seems as though you want to deny him that, r15? Why?

by Anonymousreply 17October 15, 2020 5:42 AM

[quote] My dog got blessed by Pope John Paul while he was in DC years ago.

WINNER! WINNER! CHICKEN DINNER!

by Anonymousreply 18October 18, 2020 12:34 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!