Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Janet’s “Son of a Gun” is superior to the original Carly Simon song “You’re So Vain”

Janet even got Carly to record for this song.

It’s superior in every way. And the video is fun and creepy and Janet, the legend and icon, looks incredible.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 153October 20, 2020 1:47 AM

I will slap you with a mackerel, OP.

by Anonymousreply 1October 13, 2020 2:12 AM

It's just awful. She can barely sing. How did she ever get a record contract? She should retire.

I know she basically is retired because nobody will buy her music or buy her concert tickets but she should retire officially now that she finally got into the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame after 17 times of being refused.

by Anonymousreply 2October 13, 2020 2:15 AM

No, I saw the video few years ago. The song and video sucked.

by Anonymousreply 3October 13, 2020 2:15 AM

Is this the same album that sampled "Both Sides Now"? I know her fan's loved the album but it was a real misfire after the "janet" album.

by Anonymousreply 4October 13, 2020 2:16 AM

No.

by Anonymousreply 5October 13, 2020 2:16 AM

R2 is Madonna, still miffed that Janet is an Oscar nominee and she is not (nor will she ever be).

by Anonymousreply 6October 13, 2020 2:17 AM

Carly was thrilled when Janet and Jimmy Jam phoned her up and asked her for sampling permission, so thrilled that she did them one better and also wrote her own "rap" for the song that you can hear more of on the album version.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7October 13, 2020 2:20 AM

Madonna got into the R&R Hall of Fame on her first nomination R6.

Madonna and Janet Jackson are not even in the same category. Incomparable.

by Anonymousreply 8October 13, 2020 2:20 AM

^Right. Janet is pretty and has talent. Madonna is good at using her vagina and making idiot vids for IG.

by Anonymousreply 9October 13, 2020 2:22 AM

You’re right r8

Janet became a huge success based off her TALENT while Madonna became a huge success off her PUSSY.

by Anonymousreply 10October 13, 2020 2:22 AM

Sure Janbot...

by Anonymousreply 11October 13, 2020 2:23 AM

r4 No, it's the one she where she also sampled Ventura Highway.

by Anonymousreply 12October 13, 2020 2:23 AM

I love the macabre nature of the video. Britney (ever the Janet copycat) promptly filmed her "Overprotected" video in the exact same hotel months later, and even included an identical strut down the main corridor ala Janet's "Son of a Gun."

by Anonymousreply 13October 13, 2020 2:25 AM

You mean Someone to Call My Lover, r12? Another big hit for Janet, reaching #3 on the charts and getting praise from critics. Her soft, sweet vocals sound beautiful on it.

But all honesty, the song is comforting to me and makes me smile. It’s a good song.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 14October 13, 2020 2:26 AM

Is this the video in which Janet reveals her snack of choice.... spiders?

by Anonymousreply 15October 13, 2020 2:32 AM

The album version without Missy is a lot better than the single version.

Carly was a better addition to this song than Missy.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 16October 13, 2020 2:34 AM

[quote]Janet’s “Son of a Gun” is superior to the original Carly Simon song “You’re So Vain”

Which is why, of course, nobody -- NOBODY -- remembers Janet's version, while Carly's is considered a pop classic.

by Anonymousreply 17October 13, 2020 3:01 AM

Exactly R17.

Also nobody, NOBODY remembers Janet Jackson either. Her career went straight down the shitter decades ago.

by Anonymousreply 18October 13, 2020 3:04 AM

Some background:

Carly Simon was very excited to be asked if Janet could sample "You're So Vain." But she didn't have the rights to the original recording. So instead of paying her former label, Carly volunteered to re-record it for Janet. She also did an embarrassing "rap" about clouds to be included. Carly thought it was going to be a huge boost for her career.

But when Diddy intervened to remix the song, Carly discovered that she had been almost completely replaced by Missy Elliot. AND WAS PISSED.

by Anonymousreply 19October 13, 2020 3:05 AM

OP, you’re gay so you probably got blinded by Janet looking scrumptious in the video that you deluded yourself into thinking it was a good song.

by Anonymousreply 20October 13, 2020 3:07 AM

[quote]Carly thought it was going to be a huge boost for her career.

Then she shouldn't have done anything with Janet Jackson who as we all know - is career death personified.

by Anonymousreply 21October 13, 2020 3:08 AM

Nothing that bloated mess known as Janet Jackson does is superior to anything produced by a real artist, including their flatulence.

by Anonymousreply 22October 13, 2020 3:08 AM

She really does look DIVINE in this video.

by Anonymousreply 23October 13, 2020 3:09 AM

R21 ummm the two singles before this one were huge.

All For You was #1, and the most played song in the Country and best selling single that year, and Someone to Call My Lover was #3.

by Anonymousreply 24October 13, 2020 3:10 AM

I think it's safe to say that this is the only song Carly Simon did where the word n*gger is used.

by Anonymousreply 25October 13, 2020 3:10 AM

This bloated R22?

That's a Chrissy Metz level fatty.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 26October 13, 2020 3:12 AM

Janet did not look like that then...

by Anonymousreply 27October 13, 2020 3:13 AM

Like this?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 28October 13, 2020 3:15 AM

Carly Shimon. Janet Jackshon. I should've done a cover of Nashty:

And no, my name ishn't baby, it'sh Lizsha...Mish Minnelli if you're Nashty!

by Anonymousreply 29October 13, 2020 3:18 AM

[quote]All For You was #1, and the most played song in the Country and best selling single that year, and Someone to Call My Lover was #3.

You are so full of shit.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 30October 13, 2020 3:19 AM

I haven't heard this song in so long. I think it's the last Janet album i bought.

by Anonymousreply 31October 13, 2020 3:19 AM

r25 and that's okay because Carly is 10% African.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 32October 13, 2020 3:21 AM

R24 is such a liar.

Doesn't realize that we all have Google to fact check.

by Anonymousreply 33October 13, 2020 3:25 AM

She was cagey about who this song was about, but to me, it's clearly about her ex-husband Rene ("Stupid bitch, in my beach house...," "Baby gigolo, sex pistol, hollering at anything that walks...")

by Anonymousreply 34October 13, 2020 4:55 AM

[quote]Which is why, of course, nobody -- NOBODY -- remembers Janet's version

Nobody in your whitebread world of backwoods inbreeders, no.

by Anonymousreply 35October 13, 2020 4:58 AM

[quote]You are so full of shit.

No. Janet's Grammy-winning ALL FOR YOU single was the longest-running Hot 100 #1 of 2001 and broke several records at radio, some of which took ten years to be broken (ultimately by Gaga's BORN THIS WAY single). The year prior, Janet scored her 9th Hot 100 #1 with DOESN'T REALLY MATTER from the Nutty Professor 2 soundtrack, making her the first artist to have a #1 in the 80s, the 90s and the 2000s. And as the poster upthread said, AFY's follow up, SOMEONE TO CALL MY LOVER, was another top 5 hit.

And now that you've been schooled, you can go sit your stupid ass down in the corner.

by Anonymousreply 36October 13, 2020 5:03 AM

I loved the album version of the song. Unfortunately her stupid label released some awful remix version to radio that featured Missy Elliot and P. Diddy and it was a disaster. It would have charted better if they had left it the fuck alone.

by Anonymousreply 37October 13, 2020 5:06 AM

[quote]career death personified.

Is the reason HAGdonna shows her desperation so frequently on IG these days.

by Anonymousreply 38October 13, 2020 5:07 AM

Gawd, Britney is SUCH a shameless Janet rip-off. It's a tale as old as time, a white person steals something a black person does and people act like they invented it (like Miley and twerking).

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 39October 13, 2020 5:10 AM

r37, I like Missy Elliot but I feel the same way about this song. Her label just had to fuck it up with the Remix.

Every time I see this video I think about 9/11 because that's when the song came out. That and poor decisions by her label pretty much tanked the album after this single. All For You was a perfect album though, like Rhythm Nation. I used to play it from start to finish all the time.

by Anonymousreply 40October 13, 2020 6:37 AM

This is the only Janet song that I actually like.

by Anonymousreply 41October 13, 2020 7:05 AM

janbot thread

by Anonymousreply 42October 13, 2020 7:23 AM

Yep R42.

Janbot is every second post sharting out lies and hatred about Madonna - which is what this honeypot thread is actually about. Madonna hate.

by Anonymousreply 43October 13, 2020 11:10 AM

All JanBot does it post stupid articles and links about that fat, black, whisper-giggle voiced has-been - and post bad photos of Madonna.

If you have to compare Janezzzz to Madozzzza you have no idea how sad, irrelevant and fat you are, OP.

by Anonymousreply 44October 13, 2020 11:33 AM

This was my favorite song from All For You. I bought album the day it was released and remembered thinking they got to release this son as single. I was bummed when it didn't perform better thanks to shitty remix.

by Anonymousreply 45October 13, 2020 12:39 PM

R39 Both of those vids were filmed at the Biltmore Hotel in downtown LA.

by Anonymousreply 46October 13, 2020 12:58 PM

When i listened to All For You as a gayling, I always thought Michael Jackson was the one singing "clouds in my coffee" on this song

by Anonymousreply 47October 13, 2020 1:18 PM

This song showcases a glimpse of Janet's lyrical genius: "Ha ha / Hoo hoo / Thought you'd get the money too / Greedy mutherfuckers / Try to have your cake and eat it too"

by Anonymousreply 48October 13, 2020 2:49 PM

Sorry, OP, but no, no and FUCK no.

by Anonymousreply 49October 13, 2020 2:54 PM

...and I love Janet. And Janbot.

And reworking the Joni song and sampling Joni's voice was great.

But this Carly sample and song was D R E A D F U L

by Anonymousreply 50October 13, 2020 2:56 PM

[quote]But this Carly sample and song was D R E A D F U L

The problem is: it's not a sample.

It was rerecorded decades later to save paying Electra. And Carly's voice had changed -- and not for the better. And the bass riff that started "You're So Vain" was much better in the original.

And Carly Simon "rapping" was something no one asked for.

It would have been better if Janet Jackson had sampled the original song and otherwise left Carly out, like she did for the "Joni Mitchell is Never Wrong" song.

by Anonymousreply 51October 13, 2020 3:01 PM

Someone to Call My Lover was #3 on the charts and All For You was #1

I am not understanding the issue.

by Anonymousreply 52October 13, 2020 3:04 PM

Joni Mitchell Never Lies, you mean

by Anonymousreply 53October 13, 2020 3:05 PM

The album version is terrific, and kind of intriguing. Carly adds something to that version with her bogus rapping and lyrics, but it’s interesting. This version is a mess.

by Anonymousreply 54October 13, 2020 3:14 PM

Here is the album version. It’s a much better song than what her label released.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 55October 13, 2020 3:16 PM

I loved seeing her perform this live at the AFY tour. Carly was on a huge screen behind Janet looking fabulous as she performed her parts of the song.

by Anonymousreply 56October 13, 2020 4:57 PM

Janet was so hot at this time, just when you thought she couldn't get better, she did with All For You. She was about 35 years old at this time and competing with the young girls Britney and Christina. I would've never imagined in 2001 that this single would be the end of Janet's heyday in business. After this she got with Jermaine Dupri and it was downhill from there. The Superbowl was the nail in the coffin and Janet fell off the face of the earth for years after Michael died.

by Anonymousreply 57October 13, 2020 5:35 PM

Jabba, give up. No one likes Janet except for you. And everyone hates you.

by Anonymousreply 58October 13, 2020 6:47 PM

Honey, no one but you uses the word Jabba. It's still painfully unfunny, sad and stinky, much like you, toots.

by Anonymousreply 59October 13, 2020 7:15 PM

Jump, Jabba! Jump!

by Anonymousreply 60October 13, 2020 7:27 PM

Janet is an icon. Stop.

by Anonymousreply 61October 13, 2020 7:41 PM

I think Jackson wearing the fright mask in every shot is brilliant.

That melted, whittled-down face would scare anyone!

by Anonymousreply 62October 13, 2020 7:44 PM

[quote] Honey, no one but you uses the word Jabba. It's still painfully unfunny, sad and stinky, much like you, toots.

Truth!

by Anonymousreply 63October 14, 2020 2:21 AM

[quote] The Superbowl was the nail in the coffin

The nail in the coffin as in what? Every iconic artist has peaks and valleys. Post Super Bowl, she continued touring, putting out #1 albums, doing films, winning awards, was inducted into the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame, penned a NY Times Bestselling self-help book...

by Anonymousreply 64October 14, 2020 2:24 AM

r64 I didn't mean her career was over, just her heyday as a charting pop music artist. Janet will always be an icon, but the Superbowl incident did put her career at a disadvantage because it was all people wanted to associate her with many for years after.

by Anonymousreply 65October 14, 2020 3:06 AM

[quote] I didn't mean her career was over,

No, you were right the first time.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 66October 14, 2020 3:14 AM

^Fake news from a real moron.

by Anonymousreply 67October 14, 2020 5:30 PM

[quote] Fake news from a real moron.

Uh-oh, Jabba is PRESSED!

by Anonymousreply 68October 14, 2020 11:28 PM

^Pressed homo says what?

by Anonymousreply 69October 14, 2020 11:55 PM

Inside look at the broke, jealous Jackson family After a chance meeting as a young fan, Stacy Brown became friends with Jermaine Jackson — and later the rest of the Jackson family, including Michael. He helped write some of their memoirs, traveled on their tours, and even gave them loans (never to be repaid). Here, for the first time, Stacy explain what it’s like to be friends with the strangest family in America.

Randy Jackson, the second-youngest of the storied musical dynasty, likes to call his family “the black Kennedys.”

Maybe. But they certainly weren’t as smart with their ¬finances as the Kennedys.

Even before this month, when the family lost a $40 billion lawsuit against AEG over the death of Michael Jackson, they’ve struggled with debts. Especially when the family’s richest members, Michael and Janet, decided to cut off their seven other siblings and parents out of whim or spite.

A particularly low point came in 2003. No money was coming in, few of them had actual jobs and ¬Janet gave but one gift to her siblings: free meal cards to Baja Fresh, a fast-food chain with which she had an endorsement deal.

I visited Rebbie, the oldest of the Jackson kids, in Vegas, to work on a book. It was Baja Fresh for breakfast, lunch and dinner. From there I drove to Hayvenhurst, the family’s estate in Encino, Calif., to meet Katherine, the matriarch, and Jermaine.

And for 2¹/₂ weeks it was . . . Baja Fresh.

Finally, for the sake of my stomach, I offered to take Katherine to Trader Joe’s. She loaded the cart with groceries, and I ended up with the bill — $700.

There was no “thank you.” The money was never repaid. Whatever courtesies are shown to them are met with the air of “You did what you ought to. We are the Jacksons!”

by Anonymousreply 70October 15, 2020 12:23 AM

R70 The Jacksons aren't the Black Kennedys, they're the Black Trumps.

by Anonymousreply 71October 15, 2020 7:00 PM

R70 reads like a generic Enquirer article. The tone, the quoting and the fact that Janet Jackson NEVER had a deal with Baja Fresh all spell LIES. She’s had deals with Pepsi, JAL, NutriSystem, various Japanese phone companies, etc., but she never had a deal with BF.

by Anonymousreply 72October 15, 2020 8:44 PM

I love this song and the video. This was my favorite JJ album of all.

by Anonymousreply 73October 15, 2020 9:48 PM

The Baja Fresh thing is hilarious.

But it comes from the odious New York Post.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 74October 15, 2020 9:51 PM

[quote] [R70] reads like a generic Enquirer article. The tone, the quoting and the fact that Janet Jackson NEVER had a deal with Baja Fresh all spell LIES. She’s had deals with Pepsi, JAL, NutriSystem, various Japanese phone companies, etc., but she never had a deal with BF.

Ooops, wrong again, Jabba.

by Anonymousreply 75October 16, 2020 2:58 AM

HAVE YOU SEEN HER NOSE??????

by Anonymousreply 76October 16, 2020 3:11 AM

No one has for ages. It's in a landfill somewhere.

by Anonymousreply 77October 16, 2020 3:27 AM

STAY

PRESSED

HUNTIES

by Anonymousreply 78October 16, 2020 3:30 AM

Gurl I will DIE if Janet steps out in a t-shirt saying "STAY PRESSED HUNTIES" 😂🤣

Yall should send her one

by Anonymousreply 79October 16, 2020 4:01 AM

Jabba can't afford it.

by Anonymousreply 80October 16, 2020 4:16 AM

I tried to order Janet a "STAY PRESSED HUNTIES" t-shirt but the vendor said, "I'm sorry, but we only go up to an XXXL"

by Anonymousreply 81October 16, 2020 1:44 PM

^I think you must’ve been attempting to order your mother one as an attempt to get back in her good graces. Y’know, one who disowned you for being a flamer.

by Anonymousreply 82October 16, 2020 4:59 PM

That's one shitty song.

by Anonymousreply 83October 16, 2020 6:32 PM

Pure shit thanks to Janet.

by Anonymousreply 84October 16, 2020 6:40 PM

My mother needlepoints quotations from great thinkers on throw pillows. There is Aristotle, Socrates, Shakespeare, etc..

On one pillow in the living room, there is delicately stitched the words "Ha ha hoo hoo, thought you'd get the money too. Greedy mutherfuckers try to have your cake and eat it too!"

by Anonymousreply 85October 16, 2020 7:30 PM

I think you may have been attempting some form of high-classed wit there, R85. However, it fell flat.

by Anonymousreply 86October 16, 2020 7:59 PM

R86 Stay pressed, girl.

by Anonymousreply 87October 16, 2020 8:02 PM

I love Janet. She's kind of forgotten nowadays though. At least she's not embarrassing herself like Madonna who has become the object of ridicule for the past 15 years. And she isn't a fame whore like Jennifer Lopez. Janet had a good run and released a lot of great material that is adored and sampled by many artists like Tinashe, Kendrick and Britney. I loved her recent album and felt it was a great return to form.

She needs to do a rock album or more house/synthpop music. Something different

by Anonymousreply 88October 16, 2020 8:09 PM

Jabba trying to disguise itself at R88

by Anonymousreply 89October 16, 2020 8:33 PM

R89 I'm very confused as to why as female singer who has released so many dance tracks is hated on here? Isn't that what we love to hear? I mean Janet is high up there on the Billboard dance charts, only Madonna, Beyonce and Rihanna are ahead of her.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 90October 16, 2020 8:42 PM

Janet’s ‘tits just under the neck’ look is ridiculous..

by Anonymousreply 91October 16, 2020 9:00 PM

Early 2000s had a lot of middle-aged women trying to do the sexpot thing and try to sing teenybopper songs like Janet, Madonna, Jennifer Lopez, Mariah Carey and Toni Braxton. I guess they felt threatened when Britney, Christina, Pink, Destiny's Child and Ashanti came onto the scene AKA younger and sexier models were replacing them.

by Anonymousreply 92October 16, 2020 9:17 PM

Now it's Gaga, Katy, Beyonce, Nicki, Rihanna and Britney being replaced by Ariana, Miley, Dua, Cardi, Camila and Billie.

by Anonymousreply 93October 16, 2020 9:29 PM

Meanwhile, Mariah has a number one NY Times bestselling book out and Lee Daniels is in talks for it to be adapted for the big screen.

Meanwhile, Madonna's bleaching her asshole hair and showing it on Instagram. And who knows what Janet is doing.

by Anonymousreply 94October 16, 2020 9:56 PM

[quote] Meanwhile, Mariah has a number one NY Times bestselling book out and Lee Daniels is in talks for it to be adapted for the big screen.

[quote] Meanwhile, Madonna's working with Diablo Cody on her own bio-pic.

Fixed that for you.

by Anonymousreply 95October 16, 2020 9:58 PM

Madonna, Mariah and Janet are all equally irrelevant except to their fans. They all had good runs. The current big pop stars are Taylor Swift, Miley Cyrus, Ariana Grande, Camila Cabello and Billie Eilish. Rihanna is probably the closest to Madonna in maintaining longevity and scoring several hits but her long hiatus makes it hard to tell if she's still at the top. Katy used to be the biggest pop star until her last album flopped. Beyonce, Britney, Pink, Christina and Ciara are all basically supported by their fanbases and haven't had hits in years.

by Anonymousreply 96October 16, 2020 10:10 PM

^You forgot Gaga, who recently had a big #1 album, a couple of hit singles from said album and won an Oscar and her second Golden Globe for one of the biggest songs of her career.

by Anonymousreply 97October 16, 2020 11:30 PM

Janet already did the #1 NY Time Bestselling book thing AND the Lee Daniels thing. Mariah, in fact, ended up getting Janet’s part in Lee Daniels’s TENNESSEE when Janet had to back out of the project.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 98October 16, 2020 11:39 PM

^^ What a bunch of horseshit. Like Janet would need an excuse to be fat.

by Anonymousreply 99October 16, 2020 11:47 PM

I always find it highly amusing how the vapid, airheaded chanteuse that thought she was going to save the world through dance music (that was the half-baked concept behind "Rhythm Nation, remember? We were all going to dance away the world's problems!) now cannot even be mentioned in a thread without a flame war starting.

So much for "people of the world unite!"

by Anonymousreply 100October 16, 2020 11:47 PM

Janet's music aged about as well as her nose.

by Anonymousreply 101October 16, 2020 11:50 PM

Janet, Madonna and Mariah should've just been proud of what they accomplished and cared less when Britney, Christina et al came along. Music was shit by then. MTV was over. Their output looks so insignificant to what the ladies did in the 80s/early 90s. And now we have even less insignificant shit in the likes of Ariana Grande, Billie Eilish and Camilla Cabello. Their careers will not be remembered like their predecessors. Barenaked Ladies, one of the most irritating bands of all time, has some of the most profound lyrics ever recorded - it's all been done.

by Anonymousreply 102October 17, 2020 12:28 AM

That's fucking awful. There's no melody, no hook, nothing to latch onto or that stays in your head. This is notable for the videography and Janet's (once again) snatched waist and visible abs. Otherwise, forgettable garbage.

by Anonymousreply 103October 17, 2020 12:34 AM

[quote]I always find it highly amusing how the vapid, airheaded chanteuse that thought she was going to save the world through dance music (that was the half-baked concept behind "Rhythm Nation, remember? We were all going to dance away the world's problems!)

You sound like the stupid bitch reporter who got OWNED by Janet in this speech, a speech given while accepting an award from two young girls who finished school thanks to that "half-baked" concept.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 104October 17, 2020 3:36 AM

R104 that's weird, because only a TRUE stupid bitch such as yourself would think that 2 girls graduating high school has any meaningful impact on the world whatsoever.

2 stupid losers getting their GED did nothing for world harmony. And the world is more fucked up than ever. Thanks, Janet!

by Anonymousreply 105October 17, 2020 3:47 PM

[quote]You forgot Gaga, who recently had a big #1 album

It wasn't big. It debuted at #1 and then dropped like a stone. Flop.

by Anonymousreply 106October 17, 2020 3:53 PM

R102 I think for the most part Janet and Mariah stayed in their lanes...wasn’t Madonna the one shoving her tongue down Britney’s and Christina’s throat at some awards show...only to repeat this desperate act years later by assaulting Drake?

by Anonymousreply 107October 17, 2020 3:58 PM

Now I'm convinced more than ever that the diseased slag at R100/R105 IS that hideous reporter. Gurl, you got OWNED on national TV by Janet Jackson. It was years ago, but the impact remains the same. Live with it, deal with it, soak it in and marinate in it.

by Anonymousreply 108October 17, 2020 4:06 PM

[quote] It wasn't big

It debuted at #1 in multiple countries and sold like hotcakes. It was big.

by Anonymousreply 109October 17, 2020 4:09 PM

R108 Tsk tsk, what would your dumb-as-a-box-of-rocks idol Janet think about you being such a nasty cunt? You're supposed to UNITE to solve the world's problems with DANCING, you silly bitch! You're being very divisive.

You'd best change your attitude, or your passport as a citizen of Rhythm Nation may get revoked!

Now get to steppin'...there's a conflict with North Korea that needs solving.

by Anonymousreply 110October 17, 2020 4:38 PM

R109 Madonna albums debut at #1 and then drop off the charts immediately.

Lady Gaga's latest is at #76 after only 19 weeks.

Harry Styles is at #21 after 43 weeks.

Gaga's album was a flop.

by Anonymousreply 111October 17, 2020 4:42 PM

***pant pant***

We've been dancing for 31 years straight, non-stop! Is racism over yet? Is there peace in the Middle East?

Can we stop?

***wheeze wheeze***

We're exhausted!

We're beginning to think maybe this wasn't such a great idea!

by Anonymousreply 112October 17, 2020 5:30 PM

Janet's bare titty undid all the world peace she had brought about.

by Anonymousreply 113October 17, 2020 5:42 PM

R112, let it go, darlin'. You're clearly out of your element.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 114October 17, 2020 5:45 PM

This just in:

President Janet Jackson of the Rhythm Nation has been nominated for the Nobel Peace Prize.

Her efforts to save the world with dance music while raking in millions for herself, actually resulted in two high school dropouts achieving the amazing, almost unheard-of feat of getting their GEDs, which did, in fact, literally save the world.

Says her number one fan, Janbot of DL:

"The world's still here, isn't it? That's because SHE SAVED IT! Prove me wrong, cunts!!! And FUCK YOU!!!! Rhythm Nation is in the House, Bitches!!!"

Her beloved niece, Paris Jackson, had this to say:

"She proved how committed she is to world peace by slapping the shit out of me. I might also add that she has done more to solve the problem of food going to waste than just about any celebrity in history. This award will no doubt sit proudly on her mantle, right next to her Emmy for 'Good Times', and her Oscar for 'Poetic Justice'. What? Oh, uh, wait...never mind!"

by Anonymousreply 115October 17, 2020 7:39 PM

^Lamer than your previous post, which is a major feat in and of itself.

by Anonymousreply 116October 17, 2020 8:51 PM

Jabba is PRESSED! Stay pressed, Jabba, you fat cunt.

by Anonymousreply 117October 17, 2020 8:52 PM

Janet did the RN scholarship back then, which is more than her contemporaries at the time we’re doing for the kids.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 118October 17, 2020 8:52 PM

Putting her money where her mouth is...The RN Scholarship Fund

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 119October 17, 2020 8:53 PM

Janet ❤️s the kids...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 120October 17, 2020 8:54 PM

I always thought You Ain’t Right, Love Scene, or Trust a Try from the AFY album would have made better singles than Son of a Gun. Even though I loved that song, it simply wasn’t single material.

by Anonymousreply 121October 17, 2020 9:05 PM

[quote]Even though I loved that song, it simply wasn’t single material.

Unlike Janet.

by Anonymousreply 122October 17, 2020 9:12 PM

R121, I agree. You Ain’t Right and Trust a Try are amazing tracks. The strings on TAT are amazing!

by Anonymousreply 123October 17, 2020 9:14 PM

Janet stans, how many albums did Janet have to complete on Virgin after All For You? Virgin should have paid Janet out, or let her out of her contract, no strings attached, after they fucked up the promotion for AFY. Like it was an epic loss of a masterpiece. IMO AFY one of the most underrated major albums of any pop artist. It was perfect for the early 2000s, bridged the old school Jackson sound with futuristic music. And it was so sexy.

by Anonymousreply 124October 17, 2020 10:35 PM

Virgin couldn't wait to get rid of Janet. They lost a bundle on her.

by Anonymousreply 125October 17, 2020 11:01 PM

AFY was successful

by Anonymousreply 126October 17, 2020 11:01 PM

[quote]Janet stans, how many albums did Janet have to complete on Virgin after All For You?

She had two more albums to do, which were completed with Damita Jo and 20 Y.O. After 9/11, Virgin sort of lagged in the promo despite the very strong opening of the album. I wish she had done an all-out expensive video for China Love, shot on location somewhere in the Orient, with a plot, gorgeous cinematography and Russell Wong or some hot Asian actor as her male lead, etc.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 127October 18, 2020 3:56 AM

[quote] Virgin sort of lagged in the promo despite the very strong opening of the album

Sure. It's never Janet's fault. It's always someone else's. Idiot.

by Anonymousreply 128October 18, 2020 4:02 AM

They did lag. I think that after 9/11, everything just sort of came to a standstill, particularly in the entertainment industry. Artists were afraid to fly anywhere, and everybody's mind was on the monumental event that had just happened to our country.

by Anonymousreply 129October 18, 2020 4:04 AM

Really, because earlier you argued what a humongous hit album All For You was. I believe you inflated the sales to 10m worldwide. So which is it? Was the album a hit or did Virgin drop the ball? I know your ass is huge like your idol's, but you can't keep talking out of both sides of it.

by Anonymousreply 130October 18, 2020 4:16 AM

^All For You opened big, jackass. It debuted at #1 with more than 600,000 copies sold the first week, the highest first-week sales of Janet's career. The title track first single was the longest-running Hot 100 #1 single of 2001 and won a Grammy, and the follow-up single "Someone To Call My Lover" was another top 5 Hot 100 hit. "Son of a Gun" was released in December at a time when the world was still reeling from 9/11, which is why Virgin later slowed promo despite the strong, successful opening of the project. This is not rocket science.

by Anonymousreply 131October 18, 2020 4:32 AM

R131 also the second highest debut for a female artist ever, at that time.

by Anonymousreply 132October 18, 2020 12:55 PM

[quote] "Son of a Gun" was released in December at a time when the world was still reeling from 9/11, which is why Virgin later slowed promo despite the strong, successful opening of the project. This is not rocket science.

more likely it was that the album had run out of steam at that point and there was no reason to throw any more payola at it.

it's not rocket science, fat ass.

by Anonymousreply 133October 18, 2020 6:35 PM

^Too stupid to live, too pitiful to kill.

by Anonymousreply 134October 18, 2020 8:32 PM

It hadn't run out of steam. It was only single #3 from All For You. Janet had a history of releasing 6-7 singles from an album. I think 9/11 did have an impact on promotion. The bummer was there were so many other songs that could've been good singles. It was sort of a waste.

by Anonymousreply 135October 18, 2020 8:34 PM

^Agreed.

by Anonymousreply 136October 18, 2020 9:45 PM

Except that on Janet's previous album, Velvet Rope, five singles were released and only two hit the top 40. Virgin knew it was over for her so they didn't bother to waste any more money trying to get blood from a fat stone.

God, Jabba, for someone who claims to be such a big Janet fan, you sure don't know dick.

And that goes for all your secondary browser faked responses, too.

by Anonymousreply 137October 18, 2020 10:13 PM

^For all the embarrassingly dumb posters on DL, and there are many, you have got to be the stupidest one of all.

TVR was multiplatinum, toured huge and contained one of Janet's biggest selling singles of all time on a worldwide scale. All For You opened bigger than TVR with a huge, record breaking, Grammy-winning #1 first single and Janet's biggest first-week album sales ever. If any of that spells "over" to you, then maybe you need to rethink your life in general.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 138October 19, 2020 12:13 AM

[quote]Was the album a hit or did Virgin drop the ball?

r130 the two aren't mutually exclusive if we are talking sonically, from an artistic standpoint. I am not the Janet bot who is going to sit up here and say everything Janet created was a hit. I like Janet Jackson but am not that poster, please don't mix us up.

From a musical stand point only, regardless of sales, chart performance, dollars made, All For You WAS a hit album with excellent songs, extremely creative and innovative. Like I said before, just when everyone though Jam/Lewis and Janet could not take it to another level, they did. Doesn't Really Matter was the lead in to the new sound that would be All For You. Most critics at the time said it was like a breath of fresh air for pop music. Janet was a very seasoned act by the year 2000, but she managed to completely reinvent her image and sound, again. That's why I feel this album of hers in particular, was largely wasted by her label. The songs that should have singles remained album cuts, especially Trust A Try. That was a huge creative loss and even Janet said she wanted it to be a single.

by Anonymousreply 139October 19, 2020 12:55 AM

It's not my favorite, but I'll give her this: At least Janet didn't ride this ONE fucking song for decades after.

by Anonymousreply 140October 19, 2020 1:07 AM

R140 Carly Simon had more talent in her clit than Janet Jackson had in her entire body -- which is now enormous.

Janet was created by talented by producers. Carly was her own creation.

by Anonymousreply 141October 19, 2020 1:13 AM

I know more about cattle prods than R141 knows about clits. And believe me, I know absolutely nothing about cattle prods.

by Anonymousreply 142October 19, 2020 1:38 AM

Janet threads always become so toxic and bitchy. Janet is definitely not above criticism but she was a successful pop star. She was not Madonna huge though. Yeah she was manufactured but no more than Madonna was. Madonna and Janet certainly have better discographies than the manufactured pop girls after them like Britney, Christina, Rihanna and Beyonce. Janet is way more likable than Madonna and she provided solid albums. I have no problem with Janet and never will.

by Anonymousreply 143October 19, 2020 2:16 AM

Who cares, R143?

by Anonymousreply 144October 19, 2020 6:09 AM

[quote] ^For all the embarrassingly dumb posters on DL, and there are many, you have got to be the stupidest one of all.

Jabba is PRESSED!!!!!!!

by Anonymousreply 145October 19, 2020 6:10 AM

"Janet threads always become so toxic and bitchy."

I wonder why that is.

I'm sure it's just a coincidence, and has nothing whatsoever to do with the fact that she's a fat, toxic cunt, whose fan base consists of other fat, toxic cunts.

by Anonymousreply 146October 19, 2020 6:15 AM

[quote] I wonder why that is.

It's the same reason there ARE any Janet threads in the first place.

by Anonymousreply 147October 19, 2020 6:20 AM

I really like this mashup of Janet's "Just a Little While" and Everything but the Girl's song "Missing".

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 148October 19, 2020 6:34 AM

Hahahuhu 😏

by Anonymousreply 149October 19, 2020 10:43 AM

I'm a 90s Eurotrash bitch. The only "Son of a Gun" that matters...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 150October 19, 2020 11:02 AM

I love that, R148!

by Anonymousreply 151October 19, 2020 4:55 PM

Another Carly Simon Janet Jackson connection.

Carly worked on this song with one of Janet's producers. He tried to get her to sing it like Janet would, with a very soft, light voice.

Carly did not feel comfortable with this approach but said she trusted the producer so went along with it.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 152October 19, 2020 8:29 PM

^That’s cool. Wikipedia shows that Carly wrote it with Wade Robson and Carol Bayer Sager. It also says that the album was inspired by Brazilian music, which is a favorite genre of Janet’s.

by Anonymousreply 153October 20, 2020 1:47 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!