Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Dl Epicure: Dutch Oven Recipes

Anyone have a dutch oven, stub, la crueset or the cheaper ones? Do you use it a lot? What do you make in yours?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 113October 25, 2020 12:16 AM

Le Creuset. Great pots. I make all kinds of soups and stews in the colder months. Like, starting now.

by Anonymousreply 1October 11, 2020 10:53 PM

I bought the $30 Aldi version a few years ago and it’s terrific! Recommended for bitches like me that don’t have $250 to spend on a pot.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2October 11, 2020 10:55 PM

The enamel chipped off mine. You get what you pay for.

by Anonymousreply 3October 11, 2020 10:56 PM

I just ordered a new 7-quart dutch oven made by Misen. It only cost $109. They did a kickstarter. They make (apparently) very good cooking equipment at very low prices. They started with an 8" chef's knife for $65.

I don't need the 7-quart size, really, but the price was right—unturndownable.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 4October 11, 2020 10:58 PM

I’ll show you a Dutch oven, Miss OP.

by Anonymousreply 5October 11, 2020 10:59 PM

Beef stew, short ribs, cottage or shepherd's pie, stuff like that. Staub or Le Crueset is definitely the way to go. If you don't want to spend the money, just get one from Lodge. They do great cast iron.

by Anonymousreply 6October 11, 2020 11:01 PM

I smell something fishy with this thread ...

by Anonymousreply 7October 11, 2020 11:02 PM

In my 40s I realized that I take care of my possessions and they last forever, so I started buying quality pieces I expect to last. Le Creuset dutch oven was one of those purchases. It is light, cooks food beautifully, and looks gorgeous on the stovetop.

FYI they have factory stores in the US and France. I got my mine from Amazon as a warehouse deal.

by Anonymousreply 8October 11, 2020 11:04 PM

I have a very expensive Dutch oven that I never use, since my slow cooker seems completely adequate for stews, brisket, etc. The Dutch oven is heavy and unwieldy, which is why I don't use it. Am I missing out on something? My slow cooker has never let me down, and it would seem that it's a perfect substitute for a Dutch oven.

by Anonymousreply 9October 11, 2020 11:05 PM

r9 can't develop a fond in a slow cooker.

by Anonymousreply 10October 11, 2020 11:06 PM

What’s a fond?

by Anonymousreply 11October 11, 2020 11:07 PM

This is the best thing I've ever made in a Dutch oven (and maybe in my life).

So savory and satisfying. But healthy!

I'm actually prepping to make another batch tonight.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12October 11, 2020 11:37 PM

I want to come over. I think i saw this in NYT too. I do want to try out this recipe. Is that polenta or mash? How do you make the polenta?

What size dutch oven do you have? What brand?

by Anonymousreply 13October 11, 2020 11:42 PM

Le Creuset has a huge gay following, which includes me.

by Anonymousreply 14October 11, 2020 11:42 PM

I have a large Martha Stewart Dutch oven. I've had it for about 5 years, it's great, no issues. I have a pot roast in the oven as we speak.

by Anonymousreply 15October 11, 2020 11:51 PM

R13, I got a 5.5-qt. Tramontina from Amazon, just to practice before I decide to make a real investment or not. $50. It's great!

The first time I made the mushroom bourguignon, I put it on mashed cauliflower, which was too veggie. Since then, it's been mashed potatoes, which taste amazing with the wine-inflected mushroom gravy. They say you can serve it over polenta too, but I haven't tried that.

by Anonymousreply 16October 11, 2020 11:56 PM

I've never used Le Creuset or Staub, but they're both enameled cast iron and relatively expensive. We like what we like. However, I think you could probably use un-enameled Lodge cast iron stuff, which is a lot more affordable, and get a good result.

by Anonymousreply 17October 12, 2020 12:01 AM

[R16] Thank you so much. I'm thinking the same way, go cheap before I make a huge investment. thank you thank you thank you for positing. Are you able to cook chicken in this size?

About the recipe you posted [R12]. Yes, this is the dish I want to make too. I couldn't remember if it was mash or polenta?

Bon Appétit

by Anonymousreply 18October 12, 2020 12:07 AM

I have a very heavy, very old cast-iron Dutch oven. It has a removable grate at the bottom to keep things from sitting in liquid. I use it for roast beef, pork, or chicken. I don't have specific recipes: I just vary the herbs, spices and vegetables depending on the intended flavor. I only use it when it's cold out, when I don't mind heating up the kitchen. I always brown the meat on the stove top first (I have a huge cast iron skillet for that), then roast it with the aromatic vegetables and herbs, and add the "eating vegetables" towards the end, so they don't overcook. I love a roast chicken with Provencale-inspired seasonings (Herbs de Provence, fresh fennel stalks, dried orange peel). If you grow your own fennel, it's so much more flavorful than the bulb fennel commonly found.

by Anonymousreply 19October 12, 2020 12:08 AM

what size do I buy for a chicken?

by Anonymousreply 20October 12, 2020 12:10 AM

[quote] I have a very expensive Dutch oven that I never use, since my slow cooker seems completely adequate for stews, brisket, etc. The Dutch oven is heavy and unwieldy, which is why I don't use it. Am I missing out on something? My slow cooker has never let me down, and it would seem that it's a perfect substitute for a Dutch oven.

Yeah, those huge cast iron things are heavy. I would say stick with your slow cooker if you like your results.

Now that I think about it, my mom used to make really good pot roasts and we never had a heavy "Dutch oven." I think she used a Revere Ware pot, which is pretty thin stainless steel.

by Anonymousreply 21October 12, 2020 12:10 AM

R12: is that polenta or yellow corn grits? I have served friends - who hate grits- entrees over North Carolina yellow corn grits and said it was polenta with a straight face.

by Anonymousreply 22October 12, 2020 12:12 AM

[quote]Le Creuset dutch oven was one of those purchases. It is light

No one has ever called Le Creuset "light" before. I replaced mine with All-Clad (4 pounds instead of 12) when I got arthritis in my hands.

by Anonymousreply 23October 12, 2020 12:12 AM

R18, I could probably fit a small chicken in my 5.5-quart, but I don't feel like there would be enough room for vegetables.

If I were shopping for a Dutch oven with that use in mind, I would size up.

by Anonymousreply 24October 12, 2020 12:13 AM

I love seasoned beans over yellow corn grits for breakfast

by Anonymousreply 25October 12, 2020 12:14 AM

What happens if you drop one of these? Would they break in half?

by Anonymousreply 26October 12, 2020 12:16 AM

[quote]what size do I buy for a chicken?

I still roast whole chickens in roasting pans, not Dutch ovens. I like the air circulation on the skin. However, Le Creuset (and maybe others) make oval ovens specifically to cook whole chickens in.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 27October 12, 2020 12:17 AM

[quote]What happens if you drop one of these? Would they break in half?

Not if it lands on your foot.

by Anonymousreply 28October 12, 2020 12:18 AM

r26 They're cast iron, so they wouldn't break in half, but some of the enamel would probably crack off.

by Anonymousreply 29October 12, 2020 12:18 AM

I like that you can braise the meat (if that's what your making) on the stove top first and then transfer it to the oven to roast.

I may be wrong, but I think Le Crueset's US HQ is in Charleston, SC. They have a great store there on Market St in the Planter's Inn.

by Anonymousreply 30October 12, 2020 12:20 AM

could you get a cut up chicken in the 5 quart? For Coq au vin or chicken cacciatore?

I do not have any problems roasting a chicken in my pyrex.

by Anonymousreply 31October 12, 2020 12:21 AM

[quote]What happens if you drop one of these? Would they break in half?

I dropped one on a concrete floor (garage). A crack developed below one of the handles, going down about three inches.

[quote]could you get a cut up chicken in the 5 quart? For Coq au vin or chicken cacciatore?

Yes. I used to use a 4.5 quart for a whole, cut up chicken.

by Anonymousreply 32October 12, 2020 12:24 AM

Well, my dutch oven is really Dutch, It's a collectible DRU.

by Anonymousreply 33October 12, 2020 12:24 AM

This is for the person who wanted to know what fond was:

Fond is French for "base" and commonly refers to the browned bits and caramelized drippings of meat and vegetables that are stuck to the bottom of a pan after sautéing or roasting. It's often retained as a source of flavor and deglazed with liquid and aromatics like onions and garlic.

Bon Appetit!

by Anonymousreply 34October 12, 2020 12:24 AM

I'm quite fond of fond

by Anonymousreply 35October 12, 2020 12:25 AM

I mostly make popcorn in mine and the occasional stew.

by Anonymousreply 36October 12, 2020 12:26 AM

you deglaze with liquor (wine or cognac), so it's fabulous.

by Anonymousreply 37October 12, 2020 12:27 AM

Everything you need to know about Dutch Ovens

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 38October 12, 2020 12:28 AM

I have a Staub. It isn’t enameled except for the base. It gets plenty of use for stews and soups, as well as things that might spatter in a skillet. It’s heavy but what do expect from cast iron.

by Anonymousreply 39October 12, 2020 12:34 AM

[R12} how's your mushroom dish?

by Anonymousreply 40October 12, 2020 12:35 AM

how do you clean these pots? Isn't there a special way you have to clean them?

by Anonymousreply 41October 12, 2020 12:36 AM

r41 I've always used a Dobie pad and whatever dishwashing liquid I'm using at the moment. Fill the pot with water to soak, and then wash it. If I burned anything, I would soak it, then use Bon Ami to clean it. But don't get Bon Ami in your eyes.

by Anonymousreply 42October 12, 2020 12:40 AM

Huge fan of Le Creuset. I bought several pieces of my own over the years, and inherited some from my parents. With proper care they last pretty much forever. No hesitation in buying used -as long as there are no visible defects in the enamel. They are perfect for dishes that start on the stovetop but finish in the oven. Cleaning is relatively easy. Even my oldest pieces look new.

While they make a huge variety of shapes and sizes, you really don't need more than a couple (unless you're a home chef). A medium roaster that will hold a whole chicken is also great for cassoulet and vegetables. A larger one for stews, beans, soups. I use a smaller one for soufflés, as it is more versatile than a traditional dish.

Enameled cast iron pans heat quickly, and retain heat very well, ensuring even cooking.

by Anonymousreply 43October 12, 2020 12:51 AM

The enameled cast iron pots usually have a narrow strip of exposed cast iron around the rim -- you have to make sure to dry that part off after you wash it or it could rust. I usually just run a paper towel around the rim and let the rest of it air dry.

by Anonymousreply 44October 12, 2020 12:53 AM

I have a few Le Creuset pots and pans and especially love hauling ouot my dutch oven to make cassoulet in. It's a bit of work, but great to serve a group - whenever we can do that again. Really nice cold weather comfort food, along with a salad and French bread.

Forget what it was that caused a big burned on mess in mine but tried everthing to clean it till a friend suggested Oxyclean. A scoop in hot water and let soak for an hour did the trick.

by Anonymousreply 45October 12, 2020 1:03 AM

I have a Le Creuset. I love it. Spare ribs, pot roasts, stews, turkey tetrazzini. All perfect

by Anonymousreply 46October 12, 2020 1:51 AM

I grew up with Cruset that was stained, cracked and chipped not to mention heavy for kids Heating up tinned soup. When I took up baking no knead bread I got an oval Staub for the shape and black interior. I’ve been using it once or twice a week fir five years and it looks like new.

by Anonymousreply 47October 12, 2020 3:04 AM

Love the neat definition in OP's photo, but I thought that was a description of Madonna's woman theatre??

by Anonymousreply 48October 12, 2020 3:16 AM

[quote]I have a Staub. It isn’t enameled except for the base.

Link, please, r39.

by Anonymousreply 49October 12, 2020 5:33 AM

I have a lodge, and I use it to bake bread. It comes out perfect

by Anonymousreply 50October 12, 2020 5:48 AM

I use mine to make a crusty no-knead bread. Here's the recipe:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 51October 12, 2020 9:01 AM

Here's another recipe:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 52October 12, 2020 9:09 AM

I join the bread bakers. I've got a 5 qt Lodge with a lid you can flip over and use as a skillet, so I also use that for things like cornbread and fruit crumbles. The dutch oven is a great cheat for making roux in the oven.

People make a fuss over how to clean cast iron -- just follow the manufacturers instructions! And remember that "seasoning" refers to the seal that creates the non-stick effect, not flavor.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 53October 12, 2020 1:57 PM

R42 I live down the street from the Bon Ami owners, the Beahams. (prounounced BM's )

by Anonymousreply 54October 12, 2020 2:08 PM

[quote]People make a fuss over how to clean cast iron -- just follow the manufacturers instructions!

Note that enameled cast iron and non-enameled cast iron get cleaned differently.

by Anonymousreply 55October 12, 2020 2:14 PM

I love Le Cruset. Curious, I'm never sure how to pronounce it correctly - all of the "experts" conflict each other. I took a 5 week French cooking class at Boston Center for Adult Education years ago (I've enjoyed taking classes there for nearly 20 years). The instructor was born and raised in France, she said it's pronounced quickly like one word - lacrusett - and it is the name of a town and a family where the cookware is manufactured. Another instructor said it's Lay Crusay - and yet other times I hear people say Ler Cruset - IDK - anyway, I ordered mine on line so it wasn't a problem. Anyone know the correct way to say it?

by Anonymousreply 56October 12, 2020 2:37 PM

[quote]I love Le Cruset. Curious, I'm never sure how to pronounce it correctly - all of the "experts" conflict each other. Anyone know the correct way to say it?

Luh Croo-ZAY. And it's spelled "Le Creuset."

Your experts probably say "LAY Croo-ZAY," and that's incorrect. "Le" is pronounced "luh." "Les" is pronounced "lay."

by Anonymousreply 57October 12, 2020 2:41 PM

I have the standard LC dtuch oven, the oval one for chicken and turkey breasts and a pie baker - the pie baker is aweome for crusts, I never quite could get pie crusts right and baking a pie in the LC completely solved that problem. If you are a baker you should definitely get one.

by Anonymousreply 58October 12, 2020 2:50 PM

[quote]I have the standard LC dutch oven

Which size? If you don't know the quart size, what is the number or letter on the underside of the lid?

by Anonymousreply 59October 12, 2020 2:52 PM

R59 - it is a 7.25 quart

by Anonymousreply 60October 12, 2020 3:21 PM

I am a two person household. Occasionally cook for four or want left overs - the best size in this scenario is 5.5 quarts. 7+ is just too big and the 6-8 range in serving too infrequent. Trust me on this 5.5 quart is the Dutch oven sweet spot.

by Anonymousreply 61October 12, 2020 3:21 PM

I posted in r4 about having ordered a Misen 7-quart Dutch oven. The price of $99 + $10 shipping seemed irresistible at the time, and so did the owner's spiel about the quality of the oven. But I'm a single guy of the ancient variety, whose entertaining days have been over for some time, and now I'm having orderer's remorse. I don't know how I will ever use so large a pot, especially one that is so heavy.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 62October 12, 2020 3:31 PM

R62: Use it for stuff you can freeze or at least refrigerate—stews, soups, baked beans, marinara orspeghetti sauce. You’ll get plenty of use as the weather gets cold. Also use it for things that spattering a skillet.

by Anonymousreply 63October 12, 2020 3:54 PM

I'm not a freezer, r63. Never have been. Skillet spatter is a good thing to think about, though.

by Anonymousreply 64October 12, 2020 3:59 PM

Like someone mentioned above, I use one of my small-medium sized Le Creuset dutch ovens to make stovetop popcorn. Over time, this has darkened the enamel on the bottom. There's no stuck-on debris, nothing is black, but it gets darker and darker. I'm assuming there's no way to get rid of this darkening? The popcorn tends to not want to pop at higher AND lower temps (i've tried) so not sure if I should just give up on stovetop popcorn or what.

Also, I assume darkening doesn't effect cooking in this pot? Like the issue is just one of looks? A friend saw mine and was like "that's ruined, throw it away" but I'm not sure what she was basing that comment on. I don't really gaf if it just LOOKS a little weird, but I am worried the darkening is possibly messing with the general abilities of the pot?

Also the person above who says it's never "lay croosay" is correct. "Le" is always pronounced "luh," never "lay." Also, Americans, sort out your pronunciation of La Croix pls.

by Anonymousreply 65October 12, 2020 4:04 PM

Sometimes, I Dutch Oven my cat, who likes to bury herself under the blankets and she gets very upset with me.

by Anonymousreply 66October 12, 2020 4:05 PM

I've accumulated a whole bunch of enameled cast iron over the years--I only have one piece of genuine Le Creuset--a "chicken fryer" (basically a deep skillet with a lid-see photo.) I several sauce pans/small casseroles, a grill pan, two large Dutch ovens, cocottes, etc. I recently bought a 9x13 baking dish in enameled cast iron, too. The non-LC items are from all over -- JCPenney clearance sale, Sears, Macy's (Martha Stewart), Cuisinart, etc. I find myself using them more and more for just about everything. I have a good set of stainless cookware that can go into the dishwasher, but even though I have to wash the enameled cast iron by hand, it just handles everything so much better.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 67October 12, 2020 5:48 PM

I was able to cancel my order for Misen's 7-quart Dutch oven. It looks lovely, and it sounds as if it's very well made, but I just don't need something that big and that heavy.

I sold most of my LC ten years ago, and replaced it with All-Clad equivalents. This 6-quart is all I need in the Dutch oven configuration (they call it a stockpot for some reason).

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 68October 12, 2020 5:54 PM

It's perfect for étouffée.

by Anonymousreply 69October 12, 2020 6:11 PM

I use my Le Creuset all the time and it's great. Cheaper ones probably work just as well.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 70October 12, 2020 6:15 PM

Bread!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 71October 12, 2020 6:16 PM

That bread looks great, R52. I'm going to try to make it.

by Anonymousreply 72October 12, 2020 7:46 PM

I’m very happy with the 24cm / 4.5 quart Le Creuset. I actually started out one size up and it was unwieldy and too big for two people. The best advice I got on sizing was that it should fit your burner. In my case with a flat stovetop, the 5,5 quart had a greater diameter than the largest burner and would not heat properly.

by Anonymousreply 73October 12, 2020 8:09 PM

could you get a cut up chicken in the 4.5 quart, along with veggies and sauce?

by Anonymousreply 74October 12, 2020 8:11 PM

My 4.5 was one of the best pots I ever owned, r73. I really used it to death. And then Le Creuset replaced it for free. They're really serious about their lifetime guarantee.

r74, I used to cut up a 2.5-3 pound chicken for Chicken Paprikash, which I made in the 4.5 Le Creuset. Onion, peppers, and either carrots or mushrooms went into the recipe, too. Plus two cups of chicken stock, and at the end a cup of floured sour cream. The pot had maybe an inch free at the top when I was done, but it never occurred to me that I should buy a larger one.

You could buy one at the LC Outlet near me for $185 this summer. Look into it now, as they're canceling the 4.5. It's so close in price to the 5.5, apparently no one buys the 4.5 anymore.

The reason I no longer use it is because I replaced everything with All-Clad ten years ago, and now use either a 4 quart saute pan or a 6 quart Dutch oven in its place.

by Anonymousreply 75October 12, 2020 8:26 PM

I know this recipe is Paula Deen, but its easy to make and OH SO DELICIOUS....you WILL want to make it over and over again

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 76October 12, 2020 8:38 PM

I have some Andouille sausage in the fridge; gonna try to make gumbo in the Dutch oven later this week.

by Anonymousreply 77October 12, 2020 9:43 PM

Are there any vegetarian uses for a Dutch oven? Any at all?

I got a good one for $5 at a thrift store, and when I ate meat it was great for stews, pot roasts, and casseroled meats. But to a vegetarian, well, is there any real difference between it and any large saucepan?

by Anonymousreply 78October 12, 2020 11:10 PM

Veg chili

by Anonymousreply 79October 12, 2020 11:12 PM

Anything with beans for that matter - I do Mexican black beans in there as well

by Anonymousreply 80October 12, 2020 11:13 PM

scroll up, they have a mushroom and wine stew recipe. A veggie version of coq au vin.

by Anonymousreply 81October 12, 2020 11:35 PM

What's the difference between a dutch oven and slow cooker?

by Anonymousreply 82October 12, 2020 11:36 PM

A slow cooker is an electric device. A dutch oven works on the stovetop and in the oven.

by Anonymousreply 83October 12, 2020 11:42 PM

R78: Beans, soups, vegetarian chili. Do you have any imagination?

by Anonymousreply 84October 13, 2020 12:27 AM

For R78 -The most delicious (and vegetarian) Mexican-style rice you'll ever have:

12 ounces tomatoes, very ripe and cored (or canned)

1 medium white onion

3 medium jalapeños

2 cups long grain white rice

1⁄3 cup canola oil

4 minced garlic cloves

2 cups vegetable broth

1 tablespoon tomato paste (may omit if using canned tomatoes)

1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt

1⁄2 cup fresh cilantro, minced

Preheat oven to 350.

Process tomato and onion in processor or blender until pureed and thoroughly smooth. Transfer mixture to measuring cup and reserve exactly 2 cups. Discard excess.

Remove ribs and seeds from jalapeños. Mince flesh and set aside.

Place rice in a fine mesh strainer and rinse under cold running water until water runs clear- about 1 1/2 minutes. Shake rice vigorously to remove excess water.

Heat oil in heavy bottomed oven-safe 12 inch straight sided sauté pan or Dutch oven with tight fitting lid over low-medium heat about 2 minutes. (The recipe is very specific about this but I use a 10 inch dutch oven and it works out fine.) Drop a few rice grains in and if they sizzle then it is ready. Add rice and fry, stirring until rice is light golden and translucent, about 6-8 minutes. Be careful that the oil doesn't get too hot too fast or the oil will splatter.

Reduce heat to medium, add garlic and minced jalapeños and cook , stirring constantly until fragrant, about 1 1/2 minutes.

Stir in broth, pureed mixture, tomato paste, and salt. Increase heat to medium high, and bring to a boil.

Cover pan and transfer pan to oven to bake until liquid is absorbed and rice is tender, 30-35 minutes.Stir well after 15 minutes.

Stir in cilantro, minced.

If you like it spicier, replace one of the jalapeños with a serrano chile.

by Anonymousreply 85October 13, 2020 3:27 AM

We have a collection of both Staub and LeCreuset Dutch ovens and a big doufeu. We bought a new 7 quart LC at an close out retail store for $14, about 20 years ago, before they got popular. If using LC for bread, get a metal knob to withstand the high heat.

by Anonymousreply 86October 13, 2020 3:35 AM

r85 - sounds good. I'm going to try that.

by Anonymousreply 87October 13, 2020 4:04 AM

R78, the recipe I posted at R12 is vegetarian. I'm eating mostly plant-based these days, and I feel like I get deeper flavor out of a Dutch oven vs. regular stock pots and skillets. I've been using it even for basic vegetable sautés; oils and butter seem to heat and absorb more evenly and there's less sticking.

After my first Dutch oven stew, I actually texted a friend who's a much more accomplished cook to say, "NOW I understand why you guys use these things."

by Anonymousreply 88October 13, 2020 8:28 AM

Riess-Emaille, from Austria.

The large casserole size is 24cm (9.5") and the cost was €140. The lid can be inverted as a pot stand/holder to protect surfaces from direct heat, but the design and the enamel quality appealed to me. They look nicer in the flesh whereas some brands look nicer in photos.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 89October 13, 2020 12:27 PM

Amazon has several different sizes (and colors) of their own brand (Amazon Basics) enameled cast iron dutch ovens on sale for Prime Day. All are under $40.

by Anonymousreply 90October 13, 2020 2:36 PM

After having had an used both enameled cast iron and slow cookers I would choose the cast iron all day any day. The slow cooker had no ability to concentrate flavour and the stews etc. out of the cast iron were unctuous and well-developed in a way nothing from the slow cooker ever was.

by Anonymousreply 91October 13, 2020 3:53 PM

Bath bath and beyond is having a sale on their lower end enamel cast iron dutch ovens. You can use that 20% coupon code too. I ordered mine. Thought I would let you all now. I think the main brand is artisan . Just search artisan and dutch oven.

by Anonymousreply 92October 22, 2020 9:02 PM

this is the sale

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 93October 22, 2020 9:10 PM

R86, wouldn't baking bread call for the pot to be uncovered?

by Anonymousreply 94October 22, 2020 11:26 PM

r94, the point of baking bread in a dutch oven is the trapped steam, which requires a lid.

by Anonymousreply 95October 22, 2020 11:38 PM

Thank you, r89 for introducing me to the Riess Aromapot. Great looking. I like the Sarpaneva for small Dutch oven cooking and have a vintage danish enameled Dutch oven for bigger dishes.

by Anonymousreply 96October 23, 2020 12:20 AM

food sticks on my Le Creuset. I've made things in my Le Creuset and my circulon (aluminum pan) at the same time and they both came out the same

Don't waste your money on Le Creuset

by Anonymousreply 97October 23, 2020 1:10 AM

Thanks, R95 -- if I ever become a bread baker, I have a lot to learn.

by Anonymousreply 98October 23, 2020 2:28 AM

Bar Keepers Friend is really your friend for discoloration in your enameled CI and much more.

by Anonymousreply 99October 23, 2020 2:30 AM

"food sticks" R97? Could you be a little more specific, please? What food? Were you preparing it on the stove top or in the oven? I've never had sticking problems with my Le Creuset pots/pans. I'm not saying you didn't, but I'm curious as to what you were cooking and how that gave you such a negative experience.

by Anonymousreply 100October 23, 2020 3:56 AM

Food sticks on mine, too. Of course it's my fault when it does but shit sticks to enameled cast iron very quickly. Popcorn burned in one of mine, once, I took it off the heat right away but to this day there is carbonized crap on the bottom. Also discoloration on the other one I now use for popcorn, never burned but it just gets slowly darker and darker. Does Barkeeper's Friend really get rid of it?

by Anonymousreply 101October 23, 2020 5:49 AM

I've heard that no-knead bread can ruin (eventually) Le Creuset pots.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 102October 23, 2020 5:50 AM

Thanks for that link R102, I feel a little validated right now. Not a single one of my LC pans is pristine, all have some level of discolouration and for a long time I've been like that blogger, thinking something was wrong with me when in fact I think it's just that cooking shows all use brand new LC and possibly some bloggers, too. I also suspect some just own the pans for photos and don't actually cook in them.

by Anonymousreply 103October 23, 2020 5:59 AM

When I make no-knead bread in my dutch oven I use parchment paper so the bread/dough never touches anything but that.

by Anonymousreply 104October 23, 2020 8:33 AM

I have a Lodge 6 quart cast iron dutch oven. It is extremely heavy and nothing burns in it. I use it to make chili, spaghetti sauce, roast chicken, long cooked pork butt for pulled pork. It's great.

by Anonymousreply 105October 23, 2020 9:32 AM

I have an extensive Le Creuset collection. I use the most the very first pieces I bought, back in ca. 1974 in a South Carolina outlet. They're a rare rose-pink ombre, unlike the modern version. Alas, there will come a day when I'm unable even to lift them!

Couscous stew, chili, any soups---made in the really big pots.

Braisers I use as frying and saute pans.

The Dutch ovens I cook vegetables in, mostly. (Sounds delish, r85! I might try that very soon! With the extra heat!)

by Anonymousreply 106October 23, 2020 9:49 AM

R26, No. Either your foot or your tiled floor underneath would, though.

by Anonymousreply 107October 23, 2020 9:53 AM

R22, That's because it was polenta.

Grits are from white corn.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 108October 23, 2020 10:02 AM

R101 Try it, it has cleaned up more than one thing around here, it even gets rid of rust too. It shines up and gets rid of any discoloration from my SS cookware too. Don't let it fool you though, it's not scouring powder like Comet that scratches, it dissolves instantly, it's a chemical reaction not physical. Get the powder in the can not the liquid.

by Anonymousreply 109October 23, 2020 7:57 PM

[quote]I have a Lodge 6 quart cast iron dutch oven. It is extremely heavy and nothing burns in it. I use it to make chili, spaghetti sauce, roast chicken, long cooked pork butt for pulled pork.

It's generally not recommended to cook with tomato sauce in cast iron (at least not for an extended time.) Your food will end up tasting metallic.

by Anonymousreply 110October 23, 2020 9:01 PM

[quote]"food sticks" [R97]? Could you be a little more specific, please?

Just browning meat. And I know other people that have the same problem. I used to end up browning it in my frying pan and then putting it in the Le Creuset. Then I realized, why the hell am I using this $200 pot? I use the cheaper pots and save myself the extra work of having to clean 2 pots. The food turns out the same way in a All Clad, Circulon or even T-Fal

Don't waste your money

by Anonymousreply 111October 24, 2020 12:54 AM

[quote]Just browning meat. And I know other people that have the same problem.

Let it brown longer, until it releases on its own. You may need to turn the heat down.

by Anonymousreply 112October 24, 2020 5:43 AM

All you need to know at the link, OP

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 113October 25, 2020 12:16 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!