Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Let's revisit the train wreck that was the 1989 Academy Awards

The Lowe brothers must have been really excited heading into the 1989 Academy Awards. Rob Lowe was set to open the show with none other than “the star of all time” (whatever that means), Snow White. And later on in the telecast, Chad Lowe would take to the stage with 18 (for some reason the total was 19, not 20) “stars of tomorrow” for a nine-minute musical number. Both of the performances would go on to be memorable—but for all the wrong reasons.

The 1989 Oscars were actually groundbreaking in many ways that didn’t involve cringe-inducing singing and dancing. The brainchild of Grease producer Allan Carr, the show—held on Wednesday, March 29—had a lot of firsts: the first year with no host, the first red carpet as we know it today, the first time the Best Picture nominees were each given separate presentations, and the first time “the Oscar goes to...” was standardized. But those aren’t the fun topics to cover when looking back at the most infamous Oscars show ever.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 202November 13, 2020 10:26 PM

The actress who played Snow White quoted Rob Lowe as saying to her when they first went to Allan Carr's home "Never trust a man in a caftan."

by Anonymousreply 1October 11, 2020 6:56 PM

^^Good advice!

by Anonymousreply 2October 11, 2020 6:58 PM

It was Lucy's last public appearance. She and Bob Hope introduced the stars of tomorrow.

She died a month later in April 1989.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3October 11, 2020 7:00 PM

I'd rather watch Miss Ann-Margret's Oscar opening. It's so...so...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 4October 11, 2020 7:02 PM

It was fabulous!

by Anonymousreply 5October 11, 2020 7:04 PM

Imagine having to sit through the Oscars in person. Must be absolute torture.

by Anonymousreply 6October 11, 2020 7:04 PM

CHanging the famous phrase "And the winner is..." to "And the Oscar goes to..." was stupid. It's a competition with a winner.

by Anonymousreply 7October 11, 2020 7:05 PM

Another article

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8October 11, 2020 7:21 PM

Did any of the stars of tomorrow actually become stars? My recollection is that they were mostly nepotistic oddments of LA, the equivalents of today's Willow Smith or Rumer Willis, and quickly disappeared from the public eye.

by Anonymousreply 9October 11, 2020 7:26 PM

Most of them never became stars and quickly disappeared.

by Anonymousreply 10October 11, 2020 7:31 PM

Ricki Lake did, briefly.

by Anonymousreply 11October 11, 2020 7:32 PM

Were any of the stars of tomorrow also Miss or Mr. Golden Globes?

by Anonymousreply 12October 11, 2020 7:34 PM

The "Stars of Tomorrow" danced around the Golden Oscar Idol and sang about wanting to win an Oscar statuette someday. As of 2020, none of them have.

by Anonymousreply 13October 11, 2020 7:50 PM

I tried to watch the clip at the link, but when Snow White started warbling my cat who'd been sleeping next to me woke up, turned around and gave me a death glare. I turned it down and asked if that was better. Death glare. I turned it off and she turned around and went back to sleep.

by Anonymousreply 14October 11, 2020 7:58 PM

The Stars of Tomorrow:

Blair Underwood

Holly Robinson Peete

Joely Fisher

Keith Coogan

Patrick O'Neal Jr.

Tyrone Power Jr.

Carrie Hamilton

Ricki Lake

Tricia Leigh Fisher

Corey Feldman

Patrick Dempsey

Corey Parker

Chad Lowe

Tracy Nelson

D.A. Pawley

Christian Slater

Savion Glover

Melora Hardin

Matt Lattanzi

by Anonymousreply 15October 11, 2020 8:03 PM

And Page Hannah

by Anonymousreply 16October 11, 2020 8:05 PM

How...underwhelming, r15.

by Anonymousreply 17October 11, 2020 8:06 PM

Does Rob Lowe come on here and find things to post about himself every two weeks?

by Anonymousreply 18October 11, 2020 8:06 PM

Charmless Rob Lowe with his kabuki tranny face (later a face like an old man's ballsack skin.)

The event usually manages to snag the most repulsive fucking hosts:

Billy Crystal (x9 FFS) Seth MscFarlane. Neil Patrick Harris. Ellen DeGeneres. Anne Hathaway & James Franco.

by Anonymousreply 19October 11, 2020 9:27 PM

At least they didn't have Beyonce sing all the songs.

by Anonymousreply 20October 11, 2020 11:30 PM

Ching chong ching chong ching ching ching

by Anonymousreply 21October 11, 2020 11:34 PM

Ricki Lake said in a podcast interview that Lucille Ball was in a particularly nasty mood that night.

Ricki said they were all gathered in a sort of cardboard Green Room area back stage.

Lucy was chain-smoking and Ricki went over to her to tell her how much Lucy meant to her.

Ricki wouldn't repeat what Lucy said (she said it was out of respect for Lucy,) but Ricki summed it up by saying, "Lucy clearly didn't want to be there"

by Anonymousreply 22October 11, 2020 11:46 PM

Which was the year the Oscars had this blooper: two animated characters were superimposed over two adjacent empty seats, then a seat filler suddenly and unknowingly sat down in one of the two seats, smiling away - thus it looked like the animated character was sitting in her lap? I remember this happening on live TV, but I've never been able to find a clip of it.

by Anonymousreply 23October 11, 2020 11:46 PM

"Get your fat fucking gunt away from me, Hairspray."

by Anonymousreply 24October 11, 2020 11:48 PM

I thought Lucy quit smoking a few years before she died, because her doctors were screaming at her to stop.

by Anonymousreply 25October 11, 2020 11:51 PM

"JHC, you're a bigger fatter loser than the last Ricky who fucked me over!"

by Anonymousreply 26October 11, 2020 11:52 PM

Lucy raped me.

by Anonymousreply 27October 11, 2020 11:55 PM

Allan Carr wanted Lorna Luft to be Snow White. Lorna turned him down, because she thought her career was too big at the time to be reduced to playing Snow White at the oscars. Allan was furious and told Lorna that he made her and she was ungrateful. They never spoke again. Michael Musto said at the time that Lorna's decision was the best career move a celebrity ever made.

The show was basically a collection of Allan Carr's friends minus Ann Margret. Olivia Newton John and Matt Lattanzi (A bizarre choice for Star of Tomorrow given that he had been acting in big screen pics for almost a decade at that point) Jaqueline Bisset, who got something like twenty five close ups during the ceremony, Ali MacGraw.

The number was actually supposed to be even longer, but they cut out a dance scene involving Mayim Bialik and the Mills Brothers.

Bette Midler was supposed to play Lily's part but backed out after she got snubbed for a Best Actress nomination for Beaches.

This came close to being Doris Day's big swan song from public view. She was scheduled to present with Patrick Swayze, but pulled out the day before when she tripped over a sprinkler on her lawn and hurt her ankle.

by Anonymousreply 28October 12, 2020 12:03 AM

The opening number was just horrible, and made absolutely no sense. Really just random shit that Carr threw against the wall to see what would stick with no cohesion. Why would you have Snow White go up to the nominees like that when they’re already under enough stress? The presenter theme was inspired with co stars, companions and compadres, and would’ve been great with some major A listers showing up for it, but Carr couldn’t get enough of them. Plus even that wasn’t a continued theme of the evening with Dennis Quaid and Michelle Pfeiffer co presenting and they had no connection to each other. Carr invited Doris Day, but she had an accident and skipped it.

by Anonymousreply 29October 12, 2020 12:07 AM

[quote] told Lorna that he made her

No I made her, and my little, sweet retard too.

by Anonymousreply 30October 12, 2020 12:09 AM

[quote]Bette Midler was supposed to play Lily's part but backed out after she got snubbed for a Best Actress nomination for Beaches.

Bette was really delusional enough to think she'd get nominated for Beaches?

by Anonymousreply 31October 12, 2020 12:13 AM

No, Bette was angry that Otto Titsling wasn't nominated for Best Song.

by Anonymousreply 32October 12, 2020 12:19 AM

[quote]Lucy raped me.

I was molested!

by Anonymousreply 33October 12, 2020 12:20 AM

[quote]Most of them never became stars and quickly disappeared.

Fuck you R10. The Rocketeer was HUGE in Thailand.

by Anonymousreply 34October 12, 2020 12:22 AM

Dammit.

22-year-old.........

by Anonymousreply 35October 12, 2020 12:23 AM

IIRC Carr didn't even bother to clear the use of the Snow White character in this debacle

On top of all the other blow back, the following day Carr got served with a Cease & Desist letter from Disney

by Anonymousreply 36October 12, 2020 12:23 AM

Bruce Vilanch talks about the show...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 37October 12, 2020 12:23 AM

Whet Corey Parker? I used to have the hots for him.

by Anonymousreply 38October 12, 2020 12:25 AM

The point of the Snow White character was taken from Beach Blanket Babylon, the long-running San Francisco show where Snow White, seeking Prince Charming, runs into lots of pop culture figures, giving actors the chance to caricature a shifting cast of characters. This point was completely lost at the Oscars, though, where it makes little sense.

by Anonymousreply 39October 12, 2020 12:28 AM

Well, it wasn't boring. So there's that! And Christian Slater became a star. For a red hot moment.

by Anonymousreply 40October 12, 2020 12:39 AM

The evening of the show Allan Carr believed his Academy Awards production had been a success

it took days for his to accept the enormity of this failure

then Carr quietly crawled out of LA in his caftan and lived a reclusive life (wishing he had a DL community to join)

by Anonymousreply 41October 12, 2020 12:43 AM

[quote] wishing he had a DL community to join

What if he started DL? He died in 1999. It's possible!

by Anonymousreply 42October 12, 2020 12:47 AM

[quote]1989's 32-year-old starlet Melora Hardin

Are you insane?

I was detective Adrian Monk's dead wife Trudy!

I was Jan for several seasons on The Office!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 43October 12, 2020 1:01 AM

Tiffany from General Hospital was in the audience!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 44October 12, 2020 1:32 AM

That future stars number wasn't bad, at least some of them had talent performing live.

by Anonymousreply 45October 12, 2020 1:35 AM

So who were the real "Stars of Tomorrow" in 1989? Julia Roberts would hit it big with Pretty Woman the following year. George Clooney and Brad Pitt were still slogging away on television guest spots. Sandra Bullock also had a few tv credits. Leo Dicaprio was still unknown. Nicole Kidman was still in Australia.

by Anonymousreply 46October 12, 2020 1:37 AM

What's weird is how many of the kids chosen as "stars of tomorrow" were children or related to other stars. Keith Coogan (he was cute), Joely Fisher, Carrie Hamilton, Tyrone Power Jr, Patrick O'Neal Jr, Tracy Nelson, Chad Lowe....

by Anonymousreply 47October 12, 2020 1:39 AM

R46 Johnny Depp was about to break out in Cry Baby and Edward Scissorhands in 1990, he had been on 21 Jump Street for several years. Brad Pitt guested on 21 Jump Street in the late 80s and did a lot of TV in 1989 and '90, was about to do Thelma And Louise, his breakout role, in 1991.

by Anonymousreply 48October 12, 2020 1:46 AM

D.A. Pawley?

by Anonymousreply 49October 12, 2020 2:00 AM

Keanu Reeves was already making a name for himself—about to get a high profile with Bill & Ted and Parenthood in 1989, but having already appeared in minor roles in such things as Youngblood (with Rob Lowe!) and more prominently in River's Edge. But he was nowhere to be found in Alan Carr's vision of the Stars of Tomorrow.

by Anonymousreply 50October 12, 2020 2:10 AM

1989? I don't even remember this year's.

by Anonymousreply 51October 12, 2020 2:46 AM

This year's what, R51?

by Anonymousreply 52October 12, 2020 2:47 AM

Here's the documentary about the shitshow. OP probably stole this thread idea from the recent Alan Carr thread.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 53October 12, 2020 3:52 AM

R27 made me laugh so hard and unexpectedly that I choked on my own saliva.

by Anonymousreply 54October 12, 2020 4:04 AM

Allan Carr received a phone call the next morning from former POTUS Ronald Reagan congratulating him on the show.

by Anonymousreply 55October 12, 2020 5:54 AM

I recall reading that Dorothy Lamour dieted and lost 40 pounds just for her 10 second appearance in that Cocoanut Grove number.

by Anonymousreply 56October 12, 2020 5:58 AM

R22, Rob Lowe said that Lucy congratulated him backstage on the opening number and added that she was unaware he could sing so well.

by Anonymousreply 57October 12, 2020 6:02 AM

[quote]R28 Allan Carr wanted Lorna Luft to be Snow White.

A 37-year-old Snow White?

Did he see the movie?

by Anonymousreply 58October 12, 2020 6:05 AM

Ronald Reagan was already quite senile by then.

by Anonymousreply 59October 12, 2020 6:09 AM

This is the year G can barely contain her disappointment and throws her hands up in disgust.

Susan Weaver looks very glum having already lost earlier in the evening.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 60October 12, 2020 6:11 AM

In the R60 clip Tom Cruise says

[quote]“The five women we honor tonight with nominations for Best Actress in a Leading Role have proven to be as resilient as they are talented.”

What the hell does that mean? They all survived house fires in their youth?

by Anonymousreply 61October 12, 2020 6:22 AM

From Wikipedia, this description of the Grim Reaper's Round-Up...

[quote]During the main number, before Rob Lowe's entrance, a crooning Merv Griffin introduced a procession of once famous Hollywood stars ranging from Alice Faye to Roy Rogers and Dale Evans to Vincent Price, which seemed more forced than natural as the elders were practically guided across the stage by male dancers (some dressed as chairs and tables).

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 62October 12, 2020 9:58 AM

Rob Lowe is so talented for a straight guy. Oh wait.

by Anonymousreply 63October 12, 2020 11:55 AM

R61, it means they were stretched and snapped right back.

by Anonymousreply 64October 12, 2020 1:25 PM

Yes r54 r24 post was hilarious.

Bless you all here at DL...you give me some of the only laughs Ive had lately

by Anonymousreply 65October 12, 2020 1:35 PM

R61 not too hard to figure out. The resilience part has to do with rolling with punches that comes with being a working actress, especially in Hollywood.

by Anonymousreply 66October 12, 2020 2:03 PM

It just seems like kind of an off topic thing to say.

by Anonymousreply 67October 12, 2020 2:06 PM

Well, Jodie could certainly lay claim to resilient...

by Anonymousreply 68October 12, 2020 2:35 PM

Every last male in that stage had sex with merv

by Anonymousreply 69October 12, 2020 2:37 PM

R60, Jodie's ugly dress was obviously not designed by a gay male.

by Anonymousreply 70October 12, 2020 3:28 PM

R68 I think the Hinckley thing would qualify Jodie and she paid the price for fame in droves because of that. Griffith probably had the easiest out of that group of actresses because of being Tippis daughter, but she did have to prove herself with Working Girl to break out of the bimbo roles.

by Anonymousreply 71October 12, 2020 3:45 PM

That's what I was referring to, r71. Plus, she had done the rare feat of successfully transitioning from child actor to adult star. r70, I clearly remember my dear friend Dan saying at the time, "If you have to hike up your strapless dress, you shouldn't be wearing a strapless dress."

by Anonymousreply 72October 12, 2020 5:58 PM

Tom and Jodie. Tom is all like "girl, you look fierce tonight!"

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 73October 12, 2020 6:23 PM

Jodie must be really tiny if Tom's taller than she is.

by Anonymousreply 74October 12, 2020 6:25 PM

I have stood near Jodie Foster, R74, and I can confirm that she's much more petite than I, at least, would have expected—I'd thought she was a huskier girl.

by Anonymousreply 75October 12, 2020 6:26 PM

[quote]Every last male in that stage had sex with merv

As Merv grew older and more rotund

he came to appreciate the roomy comfort of a good caftan

by Anonymousreply 76October 12, 2020 9:17 PM

[quote]The five women we honor tonight with nominations for Best Actress in a Leading Role have proven to be as resilient as they are talented.

Maybe he meant how I suffered so much when my great love John Cazale died but then quickly got married six months later to someone else.

by Anonymousreply 77October 12, 2020 9:36 PM

Allan Carr was before my time, but he appeared to be batshit crazy.

by Anonymousreply 78October 12, 2020 9:49 PM

In 2017 a documentary about Carr's life was released entitled The Fabulous Allan Carr. The director of The Fabulous Allan Carr Jeffrey Schwarz said, "Although it was no secret that Allan Carr was gay, he never formally acknowledged it publicly. The word 'flamboyant' was used to describe him, a code word." (Wikipedia)

Guess that's how it was in those days. I remember being a kid and thinking he was gay.

by Anonymousreply 79October 12, 2020 10:30 PM

I talked to Jodie last year at a party for Hotel Artemis(or was it the year before-I no longer have any concept of time). She is very small and I have to say, surprisingly one of the sweetest celebs I've talked to.

by Anonymousreply 80October 12, 2020 11:02 PM

R79, That documentary also said Carr's first sexual experience with a man was quite late, some guy he encountered at a beach.

by Anonymousreply 81October 12, 2020 11:19 PM

The Allan Carr documentary is free on Amazon Prime. One thing you can say about him is that he had a genuine love and enthusiasm for movies.

by Anonymousreply 82October 12, 2020 11:22 PM

R82, He hired Nancy Walker to direct "Can't Stop the Music" even though she had no idea what she was doing.

by Anonymousreply 83October 12, 2020 11:42 PM

Yeah, r83, what WAS that about?

by Anonymousreply 84October 12, 2020 11:48 PM

[quote][R79], That documentary also said Carr's first sexual experience with a man was quite late, some guy he encountered at a beach.

Captain Ahab.

by Anonymousreply 85October 12, 2020 11:59 PM

I read the book on him years ago, which completely went into the whole oscar debacle. He planned it for a year, unlike most producers who only do it for a couple of weeks. It also goes in depth into Can't Stop the Music, and some juicy tidbits on Grease 2.

Nancy and Valerie Perrine hated each other and had to have someone rely communication between them on the CSTM set.

Nancy knew the movie was total shit, but attended the premiere and left a half hour into the movie.

Phylicia Rashad was supposed to be in it, being married to one of the Village People at the time. I can't remember the reason she got dropped, but Sammy Davis wife got the part instead.

Carr was a mini Merv Griffin. He had huge gay parties at his mansion. Every good looking actor in his movies was either from Carr's casting couch or someone whom Carr lusted after but couldn't have.

by Anonymousreply 86October 13, 2020 12:00 AM

[quote]R70 Jodie's ugly dress was obviously not designed by a gay male.

It was reportedly bought off the rack, from a department store.

I feel it could have been way worse, however. And I’m gay.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 87October 13, 2020 1:57 AM

I love Jane & Michael Stern's description of Allan Carr: "Creating the neologism 'glitterfunk' to describe himself, he sashayed forth in a wardrobe of flowing caftans and kimonos, ankle-length mink coats, and vixenish diamond jewelry, his small, round head ringed with curls permed by Vidal Sassoon."

I'm vaguely also remembering a report that he had his teeth wired shut in order to lose weight, but carried around a pair of wire cutters in case of emergency, which eventually transpired over some too tempting dish—but I'm not finding a source for that now.

by Anonymousreply 88October 13, 2020 2:16 AM

Interview with Eileen Bowman, who played Snow White.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 89October 13, 2020 2:31 AM

R1 so Rob Lowe’s a DLer?

by Anonymousreply 90October 13, 2020 2:36 AM

R87 she actually bought that monstrosity in Italy. I still think it’s the worst outfit ever worn by a best actress winner. But I forgive Jodie for it. She was re-emerging in Hollywood and still trying to find her style. Plus she was so charming and humble in her backstage interview. Compare this to her SOTL Oscar where she looked incredible, but obnoxious in her acceptance speech and backstage interview thinking a second Oscar and started to believe she could do no wrong.

by Anonymousreply 91October 13, 2020 3:34 AM

Thinking a second Oscar made her invincible ^^^.

by Anonymousreply 92October 13, 2020 3:36 AM

Two things I thought were good about this embarrassing spectacle. One was a short film, commemorating Hollywood musicals The one quarrel I had with it was that it didn't feature Bob Fosse and Carol Haney in the dancing segment. I also liked saying "The Oscar goes to" instead of "and the winner is." That seemed a lot more fair than saying out of all the nominees one is the "winner" and the rest losers. At rate. the show was a disaster and the opening sequence had become infamous for its stupidity. Did the actress who played Snow White ever work again? I heard it destroyed her career.

by Anonymousreply 93October 13, 2020 3:45 AM

Her name is Eileen Bowman and here is an article about her appearance:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 94October 13, 2020 4:01 AM

Oops, sorry. I didn't notice that had already been posted.

by Anonymousreply 95October 13, 2020 4:03 AM

I watched the opening number again and I confess that I enjoyed the part introducing the old stars. Cyd Charisse got in some good dance moves.

by Anonymousreply 96October 13, 2020 4:06 AM

People were aghast at the Old Hollywood stars being paraded out because many of them had been out of the public eye for many years and they looked so old and decrepit. They weren't how people remembered them, and it was like "Holy shit! Is that really so-and-so?" It didn't have the intended effect of the audience who was watching being fond of seeing them again because they were like old waxworks.

by Anonymousreply 97October 13, 2020 4:08 AM

That is hilarious. R31 that must be why when she lost to Jodie a couple of years later for SOTL Bette looked like she wanted to run over and remove her eyes with her bare fingers. She mustve thought this little dyke has two of my Oscars before the age of 30.

by Anonymousreply 98October 13, 2020 4:25 AM

So was the person who was buried in that Snow White outfit Carr himself?

by Anonymousreply 99October 13, 2020 4:27 AM

That's very confusing. How did they get the outfit anyway? Two of them, actually, since there were two performers auditioned at the same time for the Snow White part - at least according to Eileen's story. They certainly didn't get it from Disney, since Disney sued the Academy over this. There's something still unexpained about the costume.

by Anonymousreply 100October 13, 2020 5:08 AM

Geena Davis had to accept her Oscar right after that number. I always wondered if that's what she meant when she said I can't believe I have to go first.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 101October 13, 2020 5:14 AM

[quote] Griffith...did have to prove herself with Working Girl to break out of the bimbo roles.

Yet her filmography pre-Working Girl is so much more interesting than anything she did in the years that followed.

by Anonymousreply 102October 13, 2020 5:14 AM

Jodie's fake kiss with Julian Sands looks so odd now. I didn't think she was the type to fake it like that. There's an interview when she's a teen and she already is playing with the pronouns and clearly knows she's gay.

I sort of expected more from her.

by Anonymousreply 103October 13, 2020 5:15 AM

Bob Mackie made the costume.

by Anonymousreply 104October 13, 2020 5:27 AM

r103 it was a different time. Nobody was going to be openly gay back then.

by Anonymousreply 105October 13, 2020 5:28 AM

I know r105 but she should have done like she did with her second Oscar and just bring an agent or whoever that old man is.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 106October 13, 2020 5:30 AM

[quote]Rob Lowe said that Lucy congratulated him backstage on the opening number and added that she was unaware he could sing so well.

When Lucy compliments your singing

you know you're fucked

"Someone keep that sweaty fat girl away from me!"

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 107October 13, 2020 5:47 AM

The site today

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 108October 13, 2020 1:18 PM

Someone should do a "Where are they now?" film of the Stars of Tomorrow" and their current jobs and lived.

by Anonymousreply 109October 13, 2020 1:19 PM

Can we make Allan Carr the patron saint of Datalounge?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 110October 13, 2020 1:23 PM

R107, Who applied her makeup that evening, a mortician?

by Anonymousreply 111October 13, 2020 1:27 PM

R107, is that the real story? I remember Rob Lowe describing it more as Lucy acknowledging the number was a mess and encouraging nonetheless. She never complimented his singing.

by Anonymousreply 112October 13, 2020 1:30 PM

r111 - And fingering the wig to make sure it's covering the hydraulics.

by Anonymousreply 113October 13, 2020 2:04 PM

She held his hand for an hour, according to the article.

by Anonymousreply 114October 13, 2020 2:27 PM

R106 Jodie brought her mom in 1989 also. It was the woman she kissed after Julian when her name was announced. I know Jodie’s mom saw it as the completion of her dream for her since she micro managed her career and life. I guess Julian and her were friends since they did that film Siesta together. Jodie faked it for a long time and simply wouldn’t talk about her personal life, but it was the biggest open secret in Hollywood. Stevie Wonder could see she was lez.

by Anonymousreply 115October 13, 2020 2:47 PM

[quote]She held his hand for an hour, according to the article.

And begged to be in his Sex Tape while she blew cigarette smoke in his face

"You know, Rob, being with me in a Sex Tape could make people forget all about this. I've got the best makeup and lighting people...and my legs are still pretty damn good, you know."

by Anonymousreply 116October 13, 2020 3:03 PM

R115, would that John Hinckley could have seen that, too.

by Anonymousreply 117October 13, 2020 3:09 PM

[quote]Someone should do a "Where are they now?" film of the Stars of Tomorrow" and their current jobs and lived.

Oh yeah - that would go about as well as the parade of nearly dead actors

Here's how that would go

Chad Lowe - Old, unemployed, supported by his brother

Melora Hardin - Old, unemployed, fat

Carrie Hamilton - Dead

Joely Fisher - Old, unemployed, fat, angry

etc, etc, etc,

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 118October 13, 2020 3:16 PM

Chad seems to have found work, r118.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 119October 13, 2020 3:32 PM

And Melora Hardin has been working steadily, with ten credits in the last three years, three of them in recurring roles.

Actually, a number of them did quite well considering the odds in the acting business. Not one of them became a huge breakout star, though.

by Anonymousreply 120October 13, 2020 3:44 PM

By all means, Allan

go ahead and plan your "Let's Revisit the 1989 Stars of Tomorrow today"

Reading those IMDB credits will be a real TV wet dream...

P.S. Thanks to Chad and Melora's management reps for weighing in

by Anonymousreply 121October 13, 2020 3:52 PM

Working steadily in your chosen profession is working steadily in your profession, r121. Not everybody wants to be a Star...

by Anonymousreply 122October 13, 2020 3:58 PM

[quote]Not everybody wants to be a Star...nor should they

No one said they should

What the poster said was - it wouldn't make for good TV

by Anonymousreply 123October 13, 2020 4:01 PM

I was merely replying to the Not Exactly "Stars" of Today signature, r123.

by Anonymousreply 124October 13, 2020 4:04 PM

[quote]I was merely replying to the Not Exactly "Stars" of Today signature

Yes, you were

And we'll add your footnote to the Program bulletin

by Anonymousreply 125October 13, 2020 4:08 PM

[quote]I was merely replying to the Not Exactly "Stars" of Today signature

Yes, you were

And we'll add your footnote to the Program bulletin

by Anonymousreply 126October 13, 2020 4:08 PM

My favorite movie that year was Beetlejuice. It didn't get enough love from the Academy.

by Anonymousreply 127October 13, 2020 4:19 PM

R127 I think Beetlejuice helped Geena win for AT. As a nominee, the more exposure you get for other films that are hits and well done that you’re in, the better.

by Anonymousreply 128October 13, 2020 4:28 PM

Oh for chrissakes, r87. If you're going to go with taffeta, go...with...TAFFETA.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 129October 13, 2020 5:22 PM

[quote]Actually, a number of them did quite well considering the odds in the acting business.

Of course, the odds in question are those of celebrity children and siblings.

by Anonymousreply 130October 13, 2020 5:40 PM

R112, R57 is 100% accurate.

by Anonymousreply 131October 13, 2020 6:39 PM

[quote] The Allan Carr documentary is free on Amazon Prime.

Which is far more than it's worth.

by Anonymousreply 132October 13, 2020 7:21 PM

The old stars were paraded out like "look who's still alive!"

Rob Lowe was embarrassed about his musical number for years, but he can laugh about it now

by Anonymousreply 133October 13, 2020 9:02 PM

1989 was just a strange year. The 80's were holding on for dear life, is the most awkward way.

by Anonymousreply 134October 14, 2020 2:21 AM

^*in the most awkward way

by Anonymousreply 135October 14, 2020 2:22 AM

R134 / 135 You made that awkward.

by Anonymousreply 136October 14, 2020 2:35 AM

Seeing the old Hollywood stars, I can see how Allan Carr may have thought that at least this part of the production number would be endearing.

by Anonymousreply 137October 14, 2020 2:40 AM

And the "old stars" turned out to be so old and decrepit it had the opposite effect. People were saying "holy shit, is that really so-and-so? She looks half dead!"

by Anonymousreply 138October 14, 2020 2:46 AM

The spectacle was mortifying. Oh well, at least it ended Allan Carr's career.

by Anonymousreply 139October 14, 2020 2:48 AM

Cyd Charisse looked pretty damn good, R138.

by Anonymousreply 140October 14, 2020 2:51 AM

Buddy Rogers, Mary Pickford’s husband, acquitted himself well, also.

by Anonymousreply 141October 14, 2020 2:58 AM

r132 Carr was a prominent producer for quite a awhile and his tacky spectacle of a life is worthy of a documentary. The man was so completely tasteless it was an interesting watch.

by Anonymousreply 142October 14, 2020 3:01 AM

[quote]R100 How did they get the outfit anyway? Two of them, actually, since there were two performers auditioned at the same time for the Snow White part - at least according to Eileen's story.

I’m guessing the audition costumes would have been approximations of the final look.... a pair of rented costumes, or something pulled from a studio’s stock. Then the real, more expensive costume was built by Bob Mackie for the selected actress.

It’s like when a performer is screen tested for a role, they’re not wearing what will finally be used; it’s just a nod in that direction.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 143October 14, 2020 3:11 AM

[quote] Carr was a prominent producer for quite a awhile and his tacky spectacle of a life is worthy of a documentary.

Too bad it got the one it got.

by Anonymousreply 144October 14, 2020 3:16 AM

It was a pretty good doc imo. It covered everything and had interviews from people who knew him. There's a lot of unused interview footage on Youtube.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 145October 14, 2020 3:23 AM

Poor Lucy never had time to release that Sex Tape...

If she'd had a little more time, she could've revitalized her career

And she could've gotten a contract for a sequel to "Mame" the musical

by Anonymousreply 146October 14, 2020 3:24 AM

I watched Rob Lowe sing. Didn't see a disaster. You have to have balls to get up in front of all those stars.

by Anonymousreply 147October 14, 2020 1:38 PM

It was a disaster. He was tone deaf and tuneless.

by Anonymousreply 148October 14, 2020 3:00 PM

[quote]Buddy Rogers, Mary Pickford’s husband, acquitted himself well, also.

Lavender marriage

by Anonymousreply 149October 14, 2020 11:45 PM

Chad Lowe was a good actor and cute.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 150October 14, 2020 11:52 PM

Just finished watching The Fabulous Life of Allan Carr. Highly entertaining. As to the Oscars, the documentary notes that his pairing of presenter couples was well-received. And, has been noted, his call on changing the announcement of the winner has survived. Looking at some of his party guests, I glimpsed model Matt Collins in attendance in a couple of shots. If alive, he'd be in his early 70s. Does anyone have any updates on him?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 151October 16, 2020 11:44 PM

R40 is it despicable that I thought the moment of Christian Slater swinging in and swashbuckling was kind of cool and sexy? They could have made a bit more of that, cut Corey Feldman or whoever’s time down.

Assume it was a reference to ROBIN HOOD: PRINCE OF THIEVES?

by Anonymousreply 152October 17, 2020 12:03 AM

^^ah, wait, but it couldn’t have related to ROBIN HOOD, because that didn’t come out until ‘91, right? So what was that all about..🤔

by Anonymousreply 153October 17, 2020 12:04 AM

I recall a Debbie Allen choreographed musical number at the Oscars featuring Jasmine Guy that was similarly awful. I think it was when JG was on ADW...so early 90s? I looked but couldn’t find any video footage .

by Anonymousreply 154October 17, 2020 12:12 AM

The worst musical number was Ann Reinking doing Against All Odds. It destroyed her Hollywood career.

A close second was that opening number that Teri Garr did. It was something that even SNL couldn't parody.

by Anonymousreply 155October 17, 2020 12:14 AM

Ann Reinking. This is just embarrassing.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 156October 17, 2020 12:18 AM

Ann Reinking. This is just embarrassing.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 157October 17, 2020 12:18 AM

OOOF

by Anonymousreply 158October 17, 2020 12:27 AM

"Phylicia Rashad was supposed to be in it, being married to one of the Village People at the time. I can't remember the reason she got dropped, but Sammy Davis wife got the part instead."

Phylicia was married to the original lead singer of the Village People, Victor Willis. He quit the group just before filming started so that's probably why they dropped her.

by Anonymousreply 159October 17, 2020 12:40 AM

I loved it when the Oscars would have someone totally inappropriate to sing a Best Song number when the original artist wasn't available, for whatever reasons. Lots of "what the FUCK?" moments came out of that.

by Anonymousreply 160October 17, 2020 12:41 AM

R160, On a 1970s Academy Awards, Dyan Cannon sang one of the nominated songs, but there were audio issues.

by Anonymousreply 161October 17, 2020 2:43 AM

[quote]^^ah, wait, but it couldn’t have related to ROBIN HOOD, because that didn’t come out until ‘91, right? So what was that all about..

Fuck you R152

by Anonymousreply 162October 17, 2020 2:46 AM

Oscar’s musical numbers starting around 5:35.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 163October 17, 2020 4:41 AM

[quote]^^ah, wait, but it couldn’t have related to ROBIN HOOD, because that didn’t come out until ‘91, right? So what was that all about..

Because swashbuckling movie roles were invented in 1991?

by Anonymousreply 164October 17, 2020 3:04 PM

[quote]I loved it when the Oscars would have someone totally inappropriate to sing a Best Song number when the original artist wasn't available, for whatever reasons. Lots of "what the FUCK?" moments came out of that.

At one time, they never (or rarely) had the original artist perform the best song at the Oscars. Best song used to be a song from a musical, or from a musical sequence in a non-musical. Not a "soundtrack" song, because songs weren't used as background music. So a pop star was rarely associated with a song, like they are now.

by Anonymousreply 165October 17, 2020 3:11 PM

Even as a child, I knew some of the Debbie Allen choreographed routines for the Oscars were just a time-filler. No one was watching for those routines, but they showed up every year in the mid-80s. It's not necessarily that they were bad, but this was a movie awards show, not a dance recital.

by Anonymousreply 166October 17, 2020 3:17 PM

Was Debbie some affirmative action hire for Oscars being so white? Weren’t there gay choreographers that could have been hired, with people like Bruce and Allan one would assume the gays would be central in the back stage shenanigans?

by Anonymousreply 167October 17, 2020 3:39 PM

I wanted to do an interpretive dance about the Dingo stealing my baby this year but Debbie Allen wouldn't let me.

by Anonymousreply 168October 17, 2020 8:34 PM

R167 Gil Cates who produced many of the Oscar shows starting in 1990 loved Allen. Even though her dance routines were panned year after year. When Cates stopped producing, Allen was out.

by Anonymousreply 169October 17, 2020 9:34 PM

Debbie Allen's dance routines were always ridiculed.

by Anonymousreply 170October 17, 2020 10:02 PM

Did Bette really think she would be nominated for Beaches?

by Anonymousreply 171October 18, 2020 3:26 AM

She apparently did. Beaches was a camp joke even at the time it was released.

by Anonymousreply 172October 18, 2020 3:33 AM

Beaches and Steel Magnolias are today's Term of Endearment. Young girls love to cry but don't rake them seriously I hope.

by Anonymousreply 173October 18, 2020 3:40 AM

I sat through Beaches once, many years ago. Barbara Hershey wasn't bad, but Bette was overacting all over the place and her musical numbers in the "off-Broadway play" were so hambone and corny I felt embarrassed for her.

by Anonymousreply 174October 18, 2020 3:43 AM

Bette Midler was also severely pissed off that she wasn't Oscar nominated for "For the Boys", especially after winning a Golden Globe for it.

by Anonymousreply 175October 18, 2020 7:50 AM

Bette was nominated for FTB. I still remember the awful clip they used of her performance in which she was under 15 lbs of old age makeup.

by Anonymousreply 176October 18, 2020 8:41 AM

She’s one the verge of tears when winning the globe. I think the public rejecting it and the indifferent response the critics had for the film really stung her. I can’t imagine Midler having any illusions about winning the Oscar when Jodie Foster was so out in front that year.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 177October 18, 2020 12:50 PM

[quote]She apparently did. Beaches was a camp joke even at the time it was released.

Actually, I've always felt, had they ended the movie with the two women watching the little girl on the shore it would have had more impact.

Then have her sing that damn song over the credits.

by Anonymousreply 178October 18, 2020 5:41 PM

[quote]Bette was nominated for FTB. I still remember the awful clip they used of her performance in which she was under 15 lbs of old age makeup.

Well I guess you just want her running around dialling 911 or being kidnapped by Kmart.

by Anonymousreply 179October 18, 2020 5:43 PM

I always hear about how bad this Oscars was.... I don't remember it although I likely saw some of it.

Does anyone know if there are any videos of news reports or entertainment shows reviewing or even panning the broadcast, or is it just a given that is was bad based on word of mouth? Was Nicky Finke around then? If so, seems like she would have eviscerated it. Or how about Rex Reed?

I'd be interested in seeing reviews on the show but haven't seen anything like that.

by Anonymousreply 180October 18, 2020 5:47 PM

R180 There are a few clips at the end of the Allan Carr documentary, I watched it last night.

by Anonymousreply 181October 18, 2020 5:51 PM

Mayim remembers Beaches...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 182October 18, 2020 5:54 PM

The beginning and the crappy writing the presenters had to endure were the worst parts. Other than that, it was your usual Oscars. No better no worse.

by Anonymousreply 183October 18, 2020 6:07 PM

Trotting out the old stars was nothing new - there had been numerous TV specials that had done this since the late 70's. There were several versions of Night of 100 Stars that brought out stars of yesterday and no one was repulsed that they didn't look like they did in their heyday. Look at the number of them that guest starred on The Love Boat long before the '89 Academy Awards. Here is a tribute to women from the silent screen from the 1985 Night of 100 Stars. All the women are ancient - Laura LaPlante is literally wheeled out - and they all look great.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 184October 18, 2020 7:38 PM

But it was the first time the Oscars did it, which made people notice. It was a worldwide audience of 1 billion people.

by Anonymousreply 185October 18, 2020 7:41 PM

Wrong R185 They did it for the 1978 Oscars (its 50th anniversary).

by Anonymousreply 186October 18, 2020 7:44 PM

Starts at 6:40 =

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 187October 18, 2020 7:47 PM

Good ol' Laura La Plante!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 188October 18, 2020 8:02 PM

They were even more decrepit by '89.

by Anonymousreply 189October 18, 2020 8:13 PM

In that Youtube interview Bruce Vilanch, who was a writer that year, said the old stars were shocking to the public.

by Anonymousreply 190October 18, 2020 8:13 PM

Bruce should talk. It's always a shock to be confronted with that face and body.

by Anonymousreply 191October 18, 2020 10:16 PM

R191 Why doesn't BV change his hairstyle into something less Muppety?

by Anonymousreply 192October 19, 2020 4:53 AM

R192, At this point, his hair has become part of his brand.

The Three Stooges maintained their eccentric hairstyles for decades for the same reason.

by Anonymousreply 193October 19, 2020 5:07 AM

Who D.A. Pawley?

by Anonymousreply 194October 19, 2020 5:19 AM

R193 his brand is as a comedy writer.

He would get more work with an updated look.

by Anonymousreply 195October 19, 2020 5:23 AM

[quote] his brand is as the worst comedy writer who ever lived.

Fixed that for you.

by Anonymousreply 196October 19, 2020 6:15 AM

Rob Lowe is so perfect. I guess DL is jealous. Rob Lowe now sleeps with Chris Pratt. So u know.

by Anonymousreply 197October 20, 2020 2:12 PM

R197 & you know this how?

by Anonymousreply 198October 20, 2020 8:43 PM

Rob Lowe's twink sons are fuckable.

by Anonymousreply 199October 21, 2020 12:59 AM

Jodie Foster once gave an interesting interview about her character in The Accused. She said something like "she was mad at her boyfriend, she put a good outfit on and she went out and she felt good about herself. She couldn't have known. She couldn't have known she was gonna punished. That she was gonna be punished for that kind of pride". Misguided as might have been to some. It made me think she really intellectualized the character and thought about her. I still think Meryl in A Cry In The Dark was the superior performance among the nominees. But I do think Jodie was rewarded for more than just child actor done good. She played a real character in physically and emotionally challenging performance. No one can deny that rape scene is excruciating and uncomfortable to watch.

by Anonymousreply 200November 13, 2020 3:10 AM

R200 It made me think she really intellectualized the character and thought about her.

What do you think actors usually do?

by Anonymousreply 201November 13, 2020 4:36 PM

R201. You would think right?? You do realize most actors don't have a fucking clue what to really do with a character? Ever met one? It's more rare to hear one talk about character motivation or history.

by Anonymousreply 202November 13, 2020 10:26 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!